• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Compound Hunting Bow Mathews vs Bowtech vs Hoyt

SpEcTeR

Private
Minuteman
I'm looking at buying a new hunting compound bow.

I've been trying out several and have really liked the Mathews Z7, Bowtech Destroyer 350, Bowtech Assasin and I'm curious to try the new Mathews Helium.

I actually really like the Destroyer's shorter 6" brace height, seems to really add a bit more punch. I'm not an expert but experienced enough that I can shoot accurately with the shorter brace height despite my 28-29" draw. The Mathews Z7 was very smooth and accurate. I was impressed by it as well.

What do you bow hunters recommend?

More importantly, where do you guys buy your bows. Who has the best prices on bows?

Re: Compound Hunting Bow Mathews vs Bowtech vs Hoyt

I shoot the Hoyt trykon which is an 08 and love it. But I'm looking at upgrading to the hoyt maxxis bone collectors addition.

I have a Mathews Z7 and LOVE IT!!!!

Monster 7. best place i've seen so far is here in Jasper, Great Outdoors.

I have only shot the Mathews but was very impressed with it.
As far as where to buy it, find the most helpful/knowledgeable
pro shop in your area and buy it there. You will be money ahead in the long run, when you need accessories, advice, new strings, etc.

Try looking in the classifieds on archerytalk.com

Lots of good deals and info there. I used to shoot a ton but have been out of that game since college. I know nothing of the new bows on the market today. Just go with what you feel the most comfortable shooting.

Brace height = forgiveness but with a tradeoff in fps. For a hunting bow, 6 in. brace height is good but if you were shooting competitively you would sacrifice speed for a longer brace height. My .02

I still shoot a Mathews Switchback, so if you get one don't compromise and it will last you many years. In fact I just gave away a Pearson Renegade I bought around 1985.

Can't go wrong with anyone of those. I just got the Z7 and it is sweet. Any of the top of the line bows are all real nice.

I suggest a local shop. You might pay couple percent more but it will be worth for advice accesories and what not.

Can't go wrong with PSE X-Force Dreamseason EVO or the Bowtech Invasion CPX. I have shot both. Both are quiet, smooth to draw and are scary fast. If not in a hurry, new 2012 bow models will be on the market soon and the 2011 bows will be discounted accordingly. A great place to comparison shop is Hunter's Friend @ http://www.huntersfriend.com They can sell you a bare bow or a package with everything you need. Sometimes they can beat a local bow shop and other times it can be more expensive depending on your preferences

I like my Bear Mauler, although I've had my eye on the Martin Onza 3 for a bit. My dad had a Matthews & it was a great bow. Never shot a Hoyt or Bowtech. I hear Bowtech is good though.

Its what YOU like. Every bow hunter will reccamend the bow they are currently shooting. I like my Dartons.

Compounds its about what fits you the best. Only way to tell is to pick one up and shoot it.

All of the bow manufacturers make fantastic bows these days, you cant go wrong with either one.

That being said....get a Darton 3800 haha,

You need to look at the bows specs and pick out the ones that are to your liking. Next you need to find a shop(s) that carry the bows you're interested in and shoot them all, more than once. From there you should have your answer.

No one bow (top enders) is significantly better than the other nowadays. They are all good. It's more about the specs, draw cycle, and shot than it is brands for me.

I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT and love it. It's accurate as hell, plenty fast, lightweight, and very quiet. Given my time with this bow, I'd likely opt for the Z7.

The one thing I will say, is that the ergonomic wood grip on the Mathews bows (assuming it's the same on the XT and Z7) can be a little sensitive to the shooter's grip and finger pressure, as opposed to just shooting off the riser or with a minimalist, square-shaped grip. When I was firing my XT for the first time the vertical spread in my groups was nil, but I had a tendency to pitch shots to the right and left.

My dad and another former competitive archer pointed out that I was torquing the bow as the shot broke, with pressure from the fingers wrapped all the way around the grip. They suggested that I try firing it with my finger pads stacked along the front of the riser to minimize the side to side movement, and wouldn't you know it... the horizontal fliers disappeared.

Bought my Bowtech Patriot used off eBay, paid less than half what the current bows cost. Put my old sight and rest on from the Patriot I foolishly sold and went hunting. When I find something I like, why change?

The best thing you can do is find a respectable proshop and shoot as many bows as possible. No one bow is better than the next as they will all feel different to each person.

I currently shoot a bowtech guardian and like it most days, however I still greatly regret selling my Mathews Switchback XT. I've shot newer Mathews and just can't get myself to like them.

If you plan on working on your own bow, keep in mind dual cams tend to be more difficult than single. Also look at ATA length if you are hunting out of treestand versus spot and stalk or blind.

Find yourself a lightly used Mathews DXT I haven't found a smoother, lighter compact bow for tree stand hunting yet. I have 2 and love em.

Lovin my Bowtech Invasion so far. Quiet, smooth, fast, lightweight. What's not to love?

I shoot the Mathews drenalin as of right now. Super fast, and Super quiet. But, with my fracture in my middle back it is going to force me to sell it and go the cross bow rout.

I have shot Mathews now for about 10 years. But, you cannot go wrong with Hoyt as well. but get what feels comfortable to you, not just the name.

I would recommend going to a pro shop (not Bass Pro or Cabela's) and picking up various bows by major manufacturers to see what feels good to you and fits you well. Unless you are experienced with setting a bow up with, string silencers, peep, kisser button, nocks or string loops, adjusting draw length, cutting arrows to length, setting up the arrow rest and sights, paper tuning, etc... I would recommend spending a little more money and buy the bow from a pro shop of your choosing. When you take your bow back in there for a new string, more arrows or any other repair not covered by the manufacturers warranty, they will more than likely be more eager to help you out with your problems. BTW,currently I shoot a Hoyt, myself.

+1 Go to a good Pro shop. Most Pro shops will not help you if you buy it online then take it to them for fitting (or they charge you a lot for it). So you are money ahead if you can try different bows at a good shop because they will size it for you and give you suggestions on a bow choice based on your needs. I shoot a hoyt CRX and really like it. They are said to hold up better than other bows. I dry fired mine while rabbit hunting and it held up fine. according to what ive heard most other bows would come apart when dry fired. But if your not an idiot like me and dry fire is not a worry and you like another manufacture go with it!

I currently shoot a Mathews Denalin. I shot at least 25 different bows before I decided on which fit me best this go around. It needs to fit the shooter, brand doesn't matter. Also look at the Strother line. The Infinity was my second choice only because the closest pro shop was quite a ways away from home.

the best place to buy is your local shop. dont buy bows off the internet if you dont have to. they can set everything up for you the right way , and if you have any problems you have somebody to take it to and talk to first hand.

bows are one of those things where theres not really a better or worse option, but what feels right to you. ask 15 guys, youll get 15 different answers. best thing to do is go out and shoot them and see which you like best

I shoot the Mathews Z7, regular not xtreme, and love it. Smooth as can be and with the cat whiskers I put on the string it is dead silent.. and I mean dead silent!

I started with a PSE Nova from WalMart. I really didn't know anything about shooting a bow but it looked cool. As I started to shoot it more I realized the draw length was to short. I ended up going to a pro shop and got to test drive the latest greatest!!! I shot the big names and ended up getting a Mathews Switchback for the feel and fit. I later got a Drenaline.
I would recommend going to a pro shop and get fitted for a bow. Either buy from them or take the info online to buy a bow. It is always better to buy from a local guy and build a relationship with your pro shop.

Going to the local shop may seem more expensive at first, but the advantages are many. Having the bow set up to you is critical. I shoot a bow tech 82nd airborne. It is fast, smooth and fairly quiet. This means 480 gr arrow at 306 fps. Plenty of speed and energy. There are many great choices in the top end compound bows. If it is tailored to fit you correctly you will be more than happy.

Check out the bow shop in Riley Oregon: on the crossroads of 395 and 20. There is this store and the post office across the highway. Nothing else. And what a store.

Hoyt Alphamax, Nick Mundt was out here hunting elk and "pointed" me in the right direction...87lb pull, and it likes to do complete pass throughs on elk.

No mention of Elite Archery?? You should check them out. They make awesome bows, super cheap compared to matthews and as good as anything out there in my opinion. They have a lifetime warrantee that stays with the bow, not the first purchaser, so you can buy one on craigslist and get a new one if you tear it up. They also say that if you DO need a replacement, they will have a new one in your hands the next day if in the lower 48 and in 2 or 3 anywhere else in the world.

My $.02 echoes Patriotoutlaw...my $1000 learning snafu backs it up. Started with a gifted bow, moved onto a Mathews Legacy...then went to my local shop, handled as many bows as they stocked (not all manufacturers respresented, but enough). Same way I now choose firearms...if it doesn't fit me, I don't buy it... it'll cost you, but quality v. quantity.

The Z7 extreme I'm shooting now is the best for me that I've handled...I'm confident that the right local shop expert will take your physique & preferences into consideration and get you into the right platform. Good luck.

Hoyt Vector 32... I went and shot all the new bows in that price range just yesterday and the Hoyt was by far the smoothest of them all. I've been a PSE guy since I can remember, but after shooting the Hoyt, I'm sold.

If I had to rate the ones I liked in order it would go: Hoyt Vector 32, Mathews Helium, Bowtech Invasion, PSE Dream Season Evo, Bear Carnage

Also shot the PSE Omen, Mathews Monster, and Hoyt Carbon Element, but those are all in a different class. The Omen was by far the hardest draw, but you could tell it had a ton of power.

By the way, what would you guys think I could sell my 2009 PSE X-Force SS for? I'm thinking about asking $400 Firm for just the bow. Paid $900 for it new ready to hunt with shitty trophy ridge stuff on it. Since then I've added a Spot Hogg, Octaine arrow rest, Octaine stablizer, and a G5 Quiver.

I picked the Mathews Z7. Hands down (I shot them all), I think it was the most refined bow available a couple seasons back. Smooth, quiet, and
respectable on speed. Not the fastest, but 300fps is damn sure good to go. 299 to 301fps is what it runs real world with my set up.

This was the first bow I have bought since 92. I went to a very nice pro shop that had it all. I put together a "Mathews/Axion" package off the shel
and it just all works together. Not cheap, but it not only matched in finish, it all works together.

I have a employee that runs the Bowtech Destroyer 350 and it runs about 340fps actual. It is fast, but is not near as refined and smooth as the Z7. Another
shoots the Mathews Reezen 6.5 and it is impressive as well. Very similar to the Z7.

Speed is king, but not needed to kill. I have shot a ton of game running 230fps running a old Whitetail II Bear. The Mathews running 300fps allows for fewer pins
and smoother operation.

(YES those are Carbon Force PSE arrows...... I broke the rules, but they shoot great and are cheaper than my Blue Force 350's I shoot matches with)

My 2011 Hideout Buck (First bow buck in a couple years)
2011HideoutBowBuck1.jpg

Great bow and buck. I have the Reezen 7 and haven't wanted to sell it and upgrade like I usually do every few years. I recently starting building/assembling bows for a local company right down the road so I might have to make a switch soon.

I know what its like to go a few years between bucks but it sure is sweet when it all works out and you get on the right one.

Congratulations man.

My guess is 165" green/gross score

Thanks and 160" is what I came up with. Should have official score shortly.

I have a 2011 Mathews z7 Magnum and picked up a 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element. Two VERY different bows to shoot, but I like them both a lot. The Mathews is crazy smooth to draw and shoot, a little smoother IMO than the Hoyt but the shot cycle of the Hoyt is a lot 'deader' in the hand. Most of the Mathews that I've shot have a really pronounced top heaviness that guys seem to either really like or can't stand. I haven't really decided which group I'm in yet, but I can say it's very noticeable. Try as many as you can get your hands on before you buy.

I have been shooting a Mathews DXT for two years. Awesome bow, light accurate, and fast. Took me awhile to get on the Mathews tarin but glad I did.

I shoot the DXT too and have since it came out! Dont know when i will ever upgrade because it is such a great bow! The Z7's i hear are grat from my buddies but DXT is workin great for me!

I'm new to the bow world but I just got a Hoyt Carbon Matrix, I can't imagine they get better.

I used to manage a bow shop, buy what feels best to you, that being said, from experience regarding customer service From the listed Bow Companies trying to get things warrantied for my customers, Mathews is the absolute best at taking care of their customers. Hoyt is far behind but will eventually ship the parts if you keep on them (they might even be the right size, or color etc.) and Bowtech simply is terrible, and we dropped them after awhile because of bad service.

Buying a new bow is like buying a new vehicle. You do your reasearch, go to the lots and compare stickers. Narrow down your choices and put yourself in the drivers seat. This ie where the rubber meets the road and clear choices are separated from one another. Bow shopping is just the same. The test shoot/drive is what sets them apart. Ties are usually settled by things like the grip, balance, draw cycle, shootability etc. The bow will almost pick you. I have shot a lot of bows Reflex, Ross, Mathews, Bowtech and just bought a PSE Evo7 to name a few. I will not tell someone what to buy only you can decide that. Compare the specs, pick what works for you and learn from what will eventually get on your nerves. Undoubtbly something will bug you. Enjoy your purchase and shoot the hell out of it.

I love my Z7, I also have a monster 6. The z7 is just a little better fit for stand hunting. I'm my opinion anyways. I haved killed 2 nice bucks with the 7 so far. I would recommend new strings and cables from the start. Winners choice makes good ones. No peep issues. Zero creep with them.

Alot of people have told you to shoot alot of different bows and get what feels best for you. I totally disagree with this.

I think you should buy my Hoyt Maxxis 31 in the classifieds.
crazy.gif

Seriously. Buy it.

Another bow to shoot if you are looking for a really fast bow is PSE X-Force. I have one and like it. I will say the Z7 has been calling my name for a while, I think it is a little easier to shoot well. The X-Force is fast, but the draw cycle can be a little tough when your heart is pounding and you have the trophy of a lifetime in front of you.

Spent 13 years with my Mathews, with nine bulls and two cow elk. Don't know what else to tell you, but if it's not broke don't fix it, they work.

I just purchased the new Mathews and its so smooth. I currently have the DXT and Heli. My father shoots a Z7 they are amazing bows. The bedt thing is there customer service is GREAT and I have never had my now fail in the woods. Like all things if you keep up with it it will last forever. I still have the original Q32 and it's shoots great. I shot Hoyt for years then went to Mathews and will never go back. the Heli is nice but Z7 is great. Can't go wrong. Just buy Good arrows. You don't wanna skimp on the projectile. Like shooting a great rifle and shit ammo. If your in Tri-state area pm me.

I have a Hoyt 2011 Carbon Element. You will get 100 different answers if you ask 100 people. I will tell you that Hoyt seems to have a longer track record of making quality bows for much longer than anyone else.

The fiddler is much more important than the fiddle when it comes to bowhunting and being able to use it.

I recommend (for what is worth) locate a great list of local shops (forget the big box stores!) and someone who will spend some time and let you try them out. I have shot all and recently purchased the Assassin. Fell head over heals with it in the shope and you cannot beat it for the money. Buy it and throw all of the RAK shit off of it and you are still below half of the other bows. Fixing to buy a second one for tournament shooting since my son is starting to shoot them and has me back into them again. Biggest thing to tell you is fnd a good dealer and shoot them all. You will know the right one when you shoot it! Now I am saying this without knowing your budget. Whatever you do, buy quality arrows and a rest and make sure they are set up correctly. Your accessories may dictate the bow you buy as they can quickly be more than you bow!

Out of all the bows Ive played with recently I like the PSE EVO the best, worth looking at but it will come down to how it feels to you.

Definitely go to a pro shop. I am very glad I did. he set me up with a hoyt rampage xt. It is a perfect fit for me. There are tons of good bows to be had for a good price. The key is finding the best bow for you.