• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compressed loads advice please

blackraven1079

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Looking to load the Hornady 110 vmax in my .308 AE 24 inch barrel. I've just started to explore Quickload (computer program), am i right in thinking 47 grains of IMR4895 is good starting load? I've even filled the case with water and inputted that into QL to give myself the best chance of accuracy. The Hornady book says i could potentially go all the way up to 50 grains of powder which is all the way up to the case mouth, can that bullet press the powder down that much? I did read about measuring the case OAL 24 hours after taking the initial length reading, is this right?

Anyway, compressed loads are new to me and i just want to be sure before diving right in, please leave your thoughts if you can?

Regards

Carl

I personally like a compressed load, if in fact it works out. To me they seem more stable. Filling a case to the mouth of the case would be futile, maybe 1/3 the way up, maybe half way, but full you're gonna have seating issues without severe neck tension.
I know nothing of your powder, or bullet choice, or .308 for that matter. Test up to it though please, crunching powder just to do it makes no sense.

If your concerned with getting more powder into the case - look into drop tubes.

I have the Forster Blue ribbon drop tube, and it'll get several grains more H4831sc into a 284 case than you can without it.

The drop tube works...a vibrator helps too. I use a vibrator made for dentists to fill moulds of teeth. Cost is close to $70. Your local plaything store might have a different model that works. Fill a block of cases and vibrate them all at the same time. A case mouth fill will usually drop to a neck shoulder junction.

If your concerned with getting more powder into the case - look into drop tubes.

I have the Forster Blue ribbon drop tube, and it'll get several grains more H4831sc into a 284 case than you can without it.
The Forster Blue Ribbon IS the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!