• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Concealed Carry Options

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
'Morning folks, I am a 71 year old former security police NCO in the Air Force. I have had a CCP previously, but with my advancing years I am "too old to fight and too old to run", and have decided it's time to take the CCP class again and carry on a daily basis. I currently have a Springfield Armory XD 40, but find the handgun very difficult to rack and a bit large to carry, though I have carried it in my 50's and 60's. I would very much appreciate commendations from you folks on a compact 9mm which would be easier for my arthritic hands to handle. I want to thank, in advance, all that take the time respond. I have done a lot of research, and I am leaning to the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Plus, or perhaps a Springfield Armory Hellcat or Sig Sauer P365.

Is the emphasis on concealability, or ease of racking the slide? The smaller the handgun/shorter the barrel, the stiffer the recoil assembly, as a general rule. The Shield EZ you mentioned addresses that particular point. The Walther CCP does so as well, using a gas system rather than the standard recoil operation.

The smallest handgun I own is an HK P30sk, and it’s relatively easy to manually cycle. 3.3” barrel. I’ve had smaller, such as the Walther PPS, but I find that the smaller handguns aren’t comfortable to shoot, and I’m less effective with them.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with your search!

The S&W EZ is perfect for arthritic hands. Very easy to rack, with small "wings" on the slide to assist. It's thin and conceals well. Originally only in .380, now in 9mm. Only drawback is limited capacity, but that's not much of a drawback. Thin spare magazine carries well also.

We have a number of sub-compact 9mms, and the "regular" shield is by far the hardest to rack. Can't comment on the Shield EZ in 9mm, but we have the 380 and it's like shooting a 22, very easy to rack and very soft shooting. The SIG 938 is nice, as well but limited capacity compared to the 365, albeit thinner in profile

Reactions: Rio2019
I think the shield EZ is built to order for helping with the arthritis you mention.
This x's 100. I have handled this firearm and it's exactly what you would want. I carry both the 45 & 9 Shields, love em. Luckily, at this time in my life, I don't suffer any arthritic issues, but, if I did, that would be my firearm of choice. Small, light, can be carried close to the body, reliable. Enough said. Mac

Really great comments, guys. It's the kind of feedback I was hoping for, unfortunately for me I know my hands limit me greatly in my choices. I have been an owner, and fan, of Smith & Wesson for 40 years so buying another would be like going home. Thank you. Glenn

A friend of mine is 72, never shot a hand gun in her life. Terrible arthritis. Like deformed fingers kind.
ended up with the 9mm Shield EZ. No issues shooting it at all.
And an AR for home.

She always assumed she was safe. Now she knows she is responsible for that.

I like the 365xl over the Hellcat having shot both.
I just carry an ugly G19 though. It works for me.
If arthritis was an issue, that EZ would be on my radar.

Got the wife a EZ in .380 after she could not rack a G42. Why the hell glock out of all would not cater to these needs is beyond me.

While the new shield plus checks all the boxes for most, I think you would like the EZ in 9mm.

Sig Sauer makes a micro .380 and 9mm that operate like a 1911 - the P238 and P938 respectively. Both can be racked easily by my Wife who is tiny and old/arthritic . You might have a look at those as they are slim SA hammer fired pistols and carry with a small footprint. also Walther CCP 9mm and the PK380 are really easy to rack and carry.

VooDoo

I have a beretta tomcat in .32 acp. The tip up barrel means you dont rack the slide. I have actually had a few in the past but sold them to old timers who liked the features. I like it as an ankle gun lol.

I have a Hellcat w/ a red dot and using the red dot as a cocking mechanism helps tremendously. Although for my use case, this is only for emergency as I worry that continued use may shift the POI or damage the red dot or mounting holes. But if feels robust enough to handle it. I just don't want to be the guinea pig.

Just wanted to add an option if the EZ didn't float your boat. I do run a Swampfox red dot which has an aluminum housing. Some of the micro red dots have plastic injected molded housings.

Sig Sauer makes a micro .380 and 9mm that operate like a 1911 - the P238 and P938 respectively. Both can be racked easily by my Wife who is tiny and old/arthritic . You might have a look at those as they are slim SA hammer fired pistols and carry with a small footprint. also Walther CCP 9mm and the PK380 are really easy to rack and carry.

VooDoo
Second the p938. My wife has severe wrist issues and can manipulate the slide quite well. She's having surgery next week so maybe this changes.

As an added bonus, I managed to get a .22lr slide & mags for next to nothing. Makes for a fun plinker and cheap trainer.

This.

Another option, which is what I carry. A Glock 26 with 12rd magpul magazines. They have a pinky extension that makes it easier to manage.

Something you could do if you go the glock route is get either serrations cut into the slide or get the aftermarket tabs that attach to the rear of the slide that help with moving the slide

This.

Another option, which is what I carry. A Glock 26 with 12rd magpul magazines. They have a pinky extension that makes it easier to manage.

Something you could do if you go the glock route is get either serrations cut into the slide or get the aftermarket tabs that attach to the rear of the slide that help with moving the slide
Thank you, those are all great ideas.

After much deliberation and research, I have decided to buy a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield EZ 9mm. My shooting instructor has a lot of experience with the EZ and has convinced me, in addition to many of you, that this is the best choice me. Yes, I would like more capacity, and perhaps more penetration power, but the 9mm has been around a long time and offers an excellent range of target and critical defense ammunition, but the selling point for me was the very smooth easy slide action and pins on the magazines for easy loading of ammunition. Thanks again, my friends, I should on the range in about a week.

Last edited:
If I may add for emphasis, small revolvers with aluminum or lighter frames are not for the faint of heart or the weak of hands. Our son purchased a 642 S&W more as a novelty than for serious carry. Even with mild .38 special handloads, it is a handful. (Pun unintentional). I would rather shoot Brenda’s SP101 with full bore .357 loads all day than tackle that little S&W. Heck, it rivals our 44 magnums for recoil. (Most of which are fun too shoot)

Point, fine for concealable needs, but small revolvers are a tough gun to shoot, especially for us older fellows and ladies and very tough for smaller ladies who don’t shoot as a hobby or as a profession. For a revolver, go all steel, bite the bullet and get a medium frame, they just shoot so much easier (and in the end, its the bang, not the tote that really is the important point)

If I may add for emphasis, small revolvers with aluminum or lighter frames are not for the faint of heart or the weak of hands. Our son purchased a 642 S&W more as a novelty than for serious carry. Even with mild .38 special handloads, it is a handful. (Pun unintentional). I would rather shoot Brenda’s SP101 with full bore .357 loads all day than tackle that little S&W. Heck, it rivals our 44 magnums for recoil. (Most of which are fun too shoot)

Point, fine for concealable needs, but small revolvers are a tough gun to shoot, especially for us older fellows and ladies and very tough for smaller ladies who don’t shoot as a hobby or as a profession. For a revolver, go all steel, bite the bullet and get a medium frame, they just shoot so much easier (and in the end, its the bang, not the tote that really is the important point)
Wiillk, I want to thank you for taking the time to respond. First, your point is well taken. Actually, I really love shooting a wheel gun, but I am finding that the loss of strength in my hands so significant that I have difficulty firing a double action revolver. Much to my dismay. So I really was forced to find an "EZ" handgun to carry.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
sig 239 is a single stack 9mm in da/sa enough steel to suck some recoil and very flat to conceal. Look in to getting a LEOSA cert when you. allows carry in all 50 states.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Beretta Nano
I think mine is great. Super easy to carry, you can just drop it in a pocket if you want. Super slim, minimal controls. Shoots and handles almost identically to the G43 ? I got mine on sale a few years ago for less than $300

I have a regular Shield, and it shoots pretty good for a little gun, so hopefully it will work well for you. One point I’d like to make is to grip the gun properly to rack it. Hold it in your hand deeply Just like you are going to shoot it with your index finger straight out. That way leverage and mechanics will be on your side. Most people will be reading this and saying well duh, bit my father refuses to do that, grips his 45 way down low on the grip, and when he pulls on the slide, the pistol just about rotates out of his hand, and then he is struggling to finish the rack. I will show him how to do it, and he learns and gets it down, but the next time I go over there, he is doing it again.

70 yrs. old here with a bad right hand. I've carried a P239 for many years and have been satisfied with it. The Sig P365 has been mentioned. I have been carrying one for 9 months and have no problem racking the slide and it's very comfortable to shoot. A month ago I purchased a 365XL RomeoZero that now has about 500 rds. through it. Racking the slide is easy, recoil is very manageable and it's easy to conceal. If your hands are like mine the only issue is the mags springs are stiff, you will need a Maglula.

Reactions: 260284 and Rio2019
hahhaha no, no it doesnt.....its not even close.

warm .38 loads out of a 642 is about equal to standard .357 out of a full size revolver.

Never one to be satisfied, I am always looking for a better mousetrap. I have very much enjoyed shooting the S&W M&P Shield EZ 9mm, though I find the grip safety somewhat finicky which lead to failures to fire. However, after several hundred rounds I think I have the proper grip now to avoid a FOF. Also, I purchased a Walther CCP M2 9mm which has some impressive engineering improvements such as a fixed barrel for better accuracy, a blow back gas system to reduce felt recoil, and a very manageable spring to operate the slide. I just purchased it this weekend, so I am some days away from receiving and testing. I will post more performance data soon!