• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Concealed or semi concealed carry options for backpacking

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I have been struggling with carrying while backpacking since I decided to go away from my G42. I would like to move to a larger frame gun (like a P320 / G19 size gun). I am carrying a multi day pack / load so I have a hip belt on the pack that is tight which blocks access to a belt carry in all but appendix, which worked fine for the small G42 but a larger frame gun is kinda in the way and starts to chafe after a while.

I don’t need the fastest access, but I don’t want it in my pack either. A drop leg rig would be ideal but I do see other people on the trail, so that is out. Let me know how you do it.

If it helps I am a very thin guy, so there isn’t much padding on me.

If I was very thin which I am not I would be carrying appendix.

Or you could look at one of the chest style rigs.

Or put it in your pack. I have started to carry a backpack with me lately and keep a full-size and spare mags in it.

Reactions: jbell
    Check out the hill people gear kit bag.
    It's not fantastic when you're taking layers on and off, but I think everything is a give and take when you're using a hip belt on a pack and still trying to carry a pistol.

This. A G48 or 509C + spare mag fits into the Snubby Kit Bag, and my chest is far easier to access than anywhere on my waist when wearing a pack

Reactions: godofthunder
    If you are doing real hiking ('I am carrying a multi day pack'), I would put the weight on a shoulder strap either directly or via a chest rig. This kind of setup/layout is something I would look into.

lighter

Last edited:
    If you are doing real hiking ('I am carrying a multi day pack'), I would put the weight on a shoulder strap either directly or via a chest rig. This kind of setup/layout is something I would look into.

lighter
    That's what I'm thinking, but not sure if I like the heat management issue. Maybe I'll just buy a rig and test it out.

Another vote for the hill people gear option. I have a runners kit bag I use to carry a g19 with a light while running and I love it. Even while running it does a good job of keeping it in place and
    it’s surprisingly quick to draw from with a little practice. I tied a trigger guard holster into the bottom of the bag as well to minimize movement and it works great.

Are you allowed to open carry where you go?

My wife and I backpack in Colorado and she open carry’s a S&W 357mag and I open carry a Glock 22. Kydex holsters mounted onto the waist best of our packs. She has hers mounted around 2-3 and mine is setup cross draw.

When we run into people on the trail it’s really easy to just drape your arms over the top of the gun to conceal it and we have yet to have anyone seem to notice and if anyone has noticed no one has been uncomfortable about it.

My option for places that don’t allow open carry or there are a ton of people is the hill people chest pack, or a Fanny pack that I wear that hangs below the pack belt. I have high hips and my pack belt rides high so for me the Fanny pack works pretty good. My wife rides her pack belt lower so Fanny pack doesn’t work for her.

Hopefully some of there options will help you.

Let me know if you want some pictures of the different options. Might help you visualize.

Your best backpacking buddy for in the woods... Find a Glock 31C in .357 Sig. Ballistically superior to any 9mm with equal weight bullets. It's close to equal ballistics of a 4" .357 Magnum, but with a large ammo capacity (which was the whole purpose behind the .357 Sig).

Absolutely the Hill People Gear.

I tried a bunch of different arrangements over the years and settled on the HPG Snubby with a G26 and a lighter (just in case) in it. The G26 sits in a Raven Concealment Vanguard (just covers the trigger) that's tied into the chest rig.

It helps distribute the weight better if you use two grimlock d-rings to latch the chest rig into the straps of the main pack. That's in addition to the harness that's already on the chest rig. So, to drop your pack, you have to open the two grimlocks, then your pistol stays with you on your chest.

It's also great for sleeping in a hammock.

I'd want a rig that's suspended just off of my body, or attaches over another piece of gear- to defeat friction and heat/sweat.

Last edited:
    Reactions: 308pirate
    Several years ago Spec Ops Brand had some amazing sales and I bought a ton of their stuff. One of the things I grabbed up was this pouch that I mounted to the backpack strap. It holds a G26/27 perfectly. I know the G26/27 is smaller than you’re looking for, but I thought the idea might help.

F8C55723-0F60-4C7E-9FDE-69DF9BA02FDD.jpeg

AECE86EC-B796-4B68-AD33-08C9E527A0DE.jpeg

I am not a skinny guy but do carry often on long backpack trips. G43 in a pocket holster is the best combo I have found. If I was skinny I would do a g43x in appendix carry.
    Many of the pack mounted options above are very comfortable, but I prefer my gun attached to me not my gear.

lighter
    Beat me to it. My buddy uses one when we turkey hunt. We have hit some pretty legit train running and gunning on public land. Hands and knee crawling up steep hills to get to unpressured birds (fuckers walked onto private and got clapped as we created. Beyond exhausted and pissed) anyways he has no complaints. I’m thinking of getting one myself.

Attachments

• 29AFB552-D711-4D2D-BDB9-3D17AECDA1FC.png
      29AFB552-D711-4D2D-BDB9-3D17AECDA1FC.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 97
    I’m going through the same struggles currently. I’m a pretty thin guy, so carrying my P320C with my T. rex arms sidecar isn’t awful, but not ideal. I elk and mule deer hunted with it last year hiking probably 50 miles. I recently strapped my safariland 7ts holster to the Molle on my MR hip belt and that works well, just tough to get the holster off. I’m thinking a safariland with the QLS plate to go to the molle so I can take it on and off easily would be a good option. Either that or a drop leg holster. A chest rig works great till you want to wear binos too. HPG chest rig makes sense for without binos. You could also try a Kenai chest holster under binos, but that’s a lot of straps.

ETA: I looked at the eberlestock nose gunner, but pretty much came to the conclusion it was too small to work with anything bigger than a G26

Personally if I'm in the woods, I prefer open carry for my full size M&P 357 Sig. I won't use anything but the Blackhawk Sidewinder. On the flip side however, if the sun is setting, I switch over to my Phlster because it can accommodate my Olight Valkyrie Turbo. If open carry is not an option though, it's appendix carry with my Phlster.

Either way, I need the quickest access possible and that's damn near impossible in my experience, if your sidearm is attached to.... or is inside your backpack.

A charging bear isn't gonna wait around while I fumble for my weapon lol.

~

A drop leg rig sucks. The strap will chafe your leg, they're hard to retain a gun from if someone tries to take it from you, and they swing around like crazy. They have one useful purpose, to carry a handgun when you're wearing long body armor. Any time a thigh holster can be avoided, it should be.

When I hike, I generally carry in a belt holster, open. Nobody really cares that you have a gun when you're hiking, it's pretty normal. I've walked around even in national parks that are full of foreigners and nobody has ever said a thing. It's the one time when I do not care if people know I have a gun--we're out in the wilderness, of course people have guns.

I would recommend either a belt holster or a chest holster. There are some binocular rigs that have a built in holster now, and I'd consider that as well.

Look at Simply Rugged for chest harnesses/holsters.

Nobody really cares that you have a gun when you're hiking, it's pretty normal. I've walked around even in national parks that are full of foreigners and nobody has ever said a thing. It's the one time when I do not care if people know I have a gun--we're out in the wilderness, of course people have guns.

This is unequivocally spot on in my experience as well.

Not many people are gonna say SHIT if you're open carrying. Quite the opposite actually.🤣

~

Reactions: Downzero
    I don't really do "backpacking", when wearing a pack I'm usually either big game hunting or varmint/ predator hunting. So I'll be packing two rifles or a rifle and pistol. I've carried my M29 and M686 on a modified belt holster while wearing a pack. I bought a couple of shoulder holsters with plans on wearing those with a pack on. While fishing I carry IWB. You never know when a homeless camp is around in the places I fish. They're starting to show up in remote places.

Btw: for belt holsters when open carrying, I like Safariland holsters. I believe the one I use is the 7377. It has the ALS system, which in my opinion is the best retention holster there is. It can be immediately and quickly released for a smooth draw, but if someone doesn't know how to use it, it'd be very difficult for them to take your gun from you, unless they are behind you. It's too bulky for CCW, but where you have to open carry like this, it's superb. I wish I could say that I liked Safariland's belt attachment as much as the holster, but that would be a lie. But once it's on your belt, this holster will be the best $40 you have ever spent on a holster.

I looked around quite a while for something to wear while backpacking. This is the answer. I carry a G20 in it under a mystery ranch pack. It stays on when the pack comes off which is important in grizzly country.

I really like the Kenai Chest holster looks but have never tried one. I'll have to do some hunting with the shoulders holsters and a pack. One thing about the shoulder holsters (Bianchi) I like is I can draw with either hand. I actually can draw with my left hand a bit fast even though it's a right hand holster.

I really like the Kenai Chest holster looks but have never tried one. I'll have to do some hunting with the shoulders holsters and a pack. One thing about the shoulder holsters (Bianchi) I like is I can draw with either hand. I actually can draw with my left hand a bit fast even though it's a right hand holster.
    We are all adults and big boy rules apply, but that sounds like it flags some pretty important shit in your upper chest. I like that with the kenai, if I need to, I can get it out off hand without flagging. It would be pretty sketchy in a dynamic situation, like with a griz headed in your direction. YMMV.

We are all adults and big boy rules apply, but that sounds like it flags some pretty important shit in your upper chest. I like that with the kenai, if I need to, I can get it out off hand without flagging. It would be pretty sketchy in a dynamic situation, like with a griz headed in your direction. YMMV.
    That's my issue with the Kenai. With the Bianchi X15 I don't have issues with the muzzle covering me drawing with either hand. It's actually a little easy to draw with my left hand than my right. I'm right handed.

Last edited:
    Has anyone said HPG yet? LOL

I have the full size bag and really like it. No experience with the other versions but this one is perfect for my needs and works great as a stand-alone day hiking pack too since it has plenty of room for my Garmin, multitool, snacks, and I can hang my Grayl water bottle off of it which is plenty if I’m near water sources. I thought the full size would be a bit big but it isn’t. I was also able to order it in the ripstop grey and it doesn’t scream tactical so you can remain low vis with it. Very happy with it.

FWIW I had Kenai rigs before I finally tried this thing and while I tolerated them I was never happy with them. They’re not very comfortable at all, the gun or holster always seems to be in the way of the chest strap, and good luck concealing it if you want to if you’re around a lot of people. I’ll never carry one again.

I have the full size bag and really like it. No experience with the other versions but this one is perfect for my needs and works great as a stand-alone day hiking pack too since it has plenty of room for my Garmin, multitool, snacks, and I can hang my Grayl water bottle off of it which is plenty if I’m near water sources. I thought the full size would be a bit big but it isn’t. I was also able to order it in the ripstop grey and it doesn’t scream tactical so you can remain low vis with it. Very happy with it.

FWIW I had Kenai rigs before I finally tried this thing and while I tolerated them I was never happy with them. They’re not very comfortable at all, the gun or holster always seems to be in the way of the chest strap, and good luck concealing it if you want to if you’re around a lot of people. I’ll never carry one again.
    Seems like a lot of people like them. Especially the belt pack. Fanny packs seems to scream "I'm carrying, and I'm old" lol. I qualify for old so I guess I should reconsider them.

A drop leg rig sucks. The strap will chafe your leg, they're hard to retain a gun from if someone tries to take it from you, and they swing around like crazy. They have one useful purpose, to carry a handgun when you're wearing long body armor. Any time a thigh holster can be avoided, it should be.

When I hike, I generally carry in a belt holster, open. Nobody really cares that you have a gun when you're hiking, it's pretty normal. I've walked around even in national parks that are full of foreigners and nobody has ever said a thing. It's the one time when I do not care if people know I have a gun--we're out in the wilderness, of course people have guns.

I would recommend either a belt holster or a chest holster. There are some binocular rigs that have a built in holster now, and I'd consider that as well.

Look at Simply Rugged for chest harnesses/holsters.
    I agree. I used a drop leg with a trash ass m9 until my first ambush. After getting to cover and checking on my guys and myself I realized that I had so much shit crammed into and around the hammer I didn’t trust the pistol anymore. It got in the way. Rolling over on my side to direct fire sucked because of it digging into my thigh. When I got to good solid cover I removed the holster cleared the pistol and put it in my pack. Want a real laugh message me for pics of the issued mags and the multiple catastrophic failures lol. Now backpacking a few miles at a slow pace and not taking the chance of taking fire and breaking contact thigh rig is ok. Long walk with lots of weight about mile two you’re gonna want to chunk it in the woods. I rocked a battle belt for a few missions but even that got old with my pack (mystery ranch 3 day) and kit. I would deeply invest time into one of the mentioned chest rigs. You’re not expecting combat your hiking. And I’m sorry this will piss some guys off but you got me fucked up if you think I’m carrying appendix on a multi mile hike. I’d rather carry a rifle. Mount a holster on your pack belt. Get a chest rig or carry a rifle. Ain’t no way in hell I’m gonna appendix carry a g19 mos with x300 on a long hike. Like who the fuck is doing that with a pack on with a hip belt strapped over top to support pack weight. I’m baffled at some of these responses.

I agree. I used a drop leg with a trash ass m9 until my first ambush. After getting to cover and checking on my guys and myself I realized that I had so much shit crammed into and around the hammer I didn’t trust the pistol anymore. It got in the way. Rolling over on my side to direct fire sucked because of it digging into my thigh. When I got to good solid cover I removed the holster cleared the pistol and put it in my pack. Want a real laugh message me for pics of the issued mags and the multiple catastrophic failures lol. Now backpacking a few miles at a slow pace and not taking the chance of taking fire and breaking contact thigh rig is ok. Long walk with lots of weight about mile two you’re gonna want to chunk it in the woods. I rocked a battle belt for a few missions but even that got old with my pack (mystery ranch 3 day) and kit. I would deeply invest time into one of the mentioned chest rigs. You’re not expecting combat your hiking. And I’m sorry this will piss some guys off but you got me fucked up if you think I’m carrying appendix on a multi mile hike. I’d rather carry a rifle. Mount a holster on your pack belt. Get a chest rig or carry a rifle. Ain’t no way in hell I’m gonna appendix carry a g19 mos with x300 on a long hike. Like who the fuck is doing that with a pack on with a hip belt strapped over top to support pack weight. I’m baffled at some of these responses.
    I carried a P320c appendix carry in about 8.5 miles with a MR Beartooth 80. Then used it hiking to and from glassing spot everyday (1 mile ish with 6-700 feet vertical). Hauled two elk out back to camp with it on too. Then used it on a mule deer hunt the next week. It isn’t the worst thing, but not ideal. It did leave me wanting to change to probably a QLS fork on a pack hip strap since that seems to work better

If you have the right Glock model, a Crye Gunclip on a chest rig or possibly on a backpack hipbelt if it has molle. The Gunclip allows you to take the gun straight away from your body vs sliding it out. And it has retention, baby, like you’ve never seen.

This dude uses a suppressor but you get the idea: article, video. He has a huge chest rig. I have a much smaller rectangular chest rig.

I haven’t actually hiked with this setup because…I fear small girls in pink tennis shoes will mock me for my SF look.

Edit: lol not concealed AT ALL. whooops carry on

Last edited:

It's actually kind of weird because when this question comes up, (and it does repeatedly) I'm one of the only people that says HPG. Now all of a sudden, everyone is a fan. But it's all good, HPG chest rigs are freakin awesome. I've been using one for about 8 years or so for hiking, mtn biking, running.

So yeah, get a HPG dude. It is the best option for concealed carry hiking, running, mtn biking, etc.

Reactions: godofthunder
    It's actually kind of weird because when this question comes up, (and it does repeatedly) I'm one of the only people that says HPG. Now all of a sudden, everyone is a fan. But it's all good, HPG chest rigs are freakin awesome. I've been using one for about 8 years or so for hiking, mtn biking, running.

So yeah, get a HPG dude. It is the best option for concealed carry hiking, running, mtn biking, etc.

Out of curiosity, have you used an HPG recon kit in front of a chest mounted holster like a Kenai?

Here’s an inexpensive option. It’s crazy how many zip pockets this has. I think I would need my chainsaw to destroy it. It’s great for hikes…..about 5-10 miles the single strap will be noticed. My carries are a large frame H&K or a full size Kimber 1911. I also carry extra mag, sunglasses, wallet, camelback squeeze bottle, extra water bottle, keys, misc & still have room left over. We have option of open carry. I prefer avoiding making someone uncomfortable, plus I know I could take an open carry from most if I wanted, so a skilled person might could do the same to me. Surprise can’t be underestimated. I prefer using my conceal carry & no one knows.

Attachments

• CEE86A6E-D7BD-4ECF-8A85-C3EC8194F80C.jpeg
      CEE86A6E-D7BD-4ECF-8A85-C3EC8194F80C.jpeg
      750.3 KB · Views: 61

I was hesitant about them because I thought they’d be too big or too slow to get a gun out but the size is great and of you position the zipper cord right it’s very fast.

Out of curiosity, have you used an HPG recon kit in front of a chest mounted holster like a Kenai?

There’s no way in hell that’s going to work well or be even remotely comfortable. I don’t see how you could possible draw through the side straps of the kit bag. Whatever weight you put in the kit bag is just going to push the Kenai into your chest which is going to suck. Not to mention all that shit on your just is going to be huge and cumbersome. Just carry in the rear pocket of the HPG, that’s what it’s meant for.

I was hesitant about them because I thought they’d be too big or too slow to get a gun out but the size is great and of you position the zipper cord right it’s very fast.
    The concealment & draw is similar to my cheap bag, but looks 100x more comfortable & a slightly faster draw. I looked it up & watched video. I need one! Thanks to all who shared.

There’s no way in hell that’s going to work well or be even remotely comfortable. I don’t see how you could possible draw through the side straps of the kit bag. Whatever weight you put in the kit bag is just going to push the Kenai into your chest which is going to suck. Not to mention all that shit on your just is going to be huge and cumbersome. Just carry in the rear pocket of the HPG, that’s what it’s meant for.

That was my concern.

The HPG doesn't seem setup for that kind of use, though people seem to use the FHF bino harness successfully that way.

I'll have to rethink my plan.

That was my concern.

The HPG doesn't seem setup for that kind of use, though people seem to use the FHF bino harness successfully that way.

I'll have to rethink my plan.

Nothing to rethink, just use the compartment on your bag for the pistol. It works like a charm. I tied a piece of paracord to the loop in there that I hook to the clips on my Tenicor holster and just stick the gun in there holster and all. If I want to dump the bag after a hike to run into a store or whatever I stuff then pistol in my pants and never have to unholster it or anything. From the bag you just rip the zipper cord and draw and the paracord let’s it unholster when you draw.

Reactions: kthomas