• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Concussion Reduction Device (CRD) vs noise and recoil

couch-sniper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2017
Mods; feel free to move to another category.

CRD: A muzzle device which redirects some of the concussion from the muzzle brake forward and away from the shooter.

Have anyone tried a CRD to reduce concussion during volume firing? Will be used on a .223 IPSC/3-Gun rifle, but I believe it has an application on precision/long range rifles as well. Suppressors are nice, but mirage becomes an issue when a lot of lead is thrown downrange.

The question is whether recoil is increased notably, and do the reduced concussion make it more comfortable to shoot?

The only one Ive ever been around was a fortis and it was an amplifier. It was like adding a base drum to the thing. It was on a 14.5" 223 but recoil differences werent noticed due to the migraines it induced. Completely stupid IMO.

BMD-A-1000x1000_0.jpg

I have 12.7" 308 gas gun uppers that I use brakes on just to fast attach Surefire suppressors and on rare occasion that I shoot them without the can they are obnoxious, so I got a Warden to put on there for those rare occasions.
1. It does a good job of throwing the noise and percussion forward BUT it also does a good job of mitigating the effect of your brake. Not a big deal for my application but if you're relying on the muzzle brake to do what it's supposed to do you might be disappointed.
2. They heat up like a can, mirage will still be a problem.

Reactions: Sbui
Try shooting your .223 without a muzzle brake?
If you need the recoil reduction, there are some stocks that have a buffer/damper built in to take care of it there.

Recoil buffers won't help at all with muzzle rise, in my experience adding more moving parts to dampen recoil makes muzzle rise worse.

I can't find any reference for it, but the Wikipedia article on "muzzle shroud" claims that:

"By encircling the muzzle, the shroud funnels and focuses the sound waves along the projectile flight axis, away from the shooter. This alone can partially protect the shooter from 12-18 dB of blast returning to the shooter's ears"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_shroud