• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Converting a TRG 42 338 to 300 win mag

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I'm interested in

1. Is it feasible to convert from 338 to 300

2. What work is involved?

3. Who would be the right smith to take a project like this on.

My reasoning is that there seems to be a relatively large number of 338's available, but I really don't need/want everything that a 338 brings with it. Having the option for BOTH in the trg would be cool and I'm wondering if the answers to the above would point to a switch barrel set up. I'm set up with components for a 300, and figuring even if a used 300 comes available I will need it rethreaded with standard threads. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Need a barrel chambered to the gun, and a new bolt and mag. If it were me and I wanted to convert my .338 TRG, I would convert it to .300 Norma, therefore keeping the same bolt and mag. You would need new brass and dies, but those are less expensive than a bolt and you would have a higher performing caliber.

Easy enough. New barrel, bolt and mags. Brownells has the bolt and mags. Moon at Crescent Customs can do it easily and already has the bolt you need. I went the other way. See below.

L

Yup easy. Rebarrel, mags, and bolt. The bolt will be the hardest and most costly piece of the puzzle. Brownells does carry the correct bolt for the conversion but list it out of stock and with sako taking a break from making the trg 42 in 300 wm getting your hands on one may be easier said than done. If you are serious about this I would call moon and get that bolt from him ASAP.

skog