• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Converting Rem. 700 Long Action To .338 Lapua

pac-nor338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Brookings OR
I have a Rem. 700 long action that was originaly a .270 Win. I have been looking into making it into a .338 LM but am having a little trouble in finding what exactly I need to Modify on the reciver. Is there any company that dose this type of work. Thanks

Re: Converting Rem. 700 Long Action To .338 Lapua

Take your factory Rem 700, put it for sale on here. While its selling decide on the amount of money you want to spend on a 338. Call Lawton machine, order one of there actions, barrels, brakes, McRees stock, AICS bottom.(Did I miss anything guys besides the Night Force) Now you have a good system. To bad I can't afford one myself. I was in the same boat as you and for the amount of money to make a 700 work I decided against it. I built a 300 WIN Mag with it and figured I save up for the 338 in the mean time. I know it has been done but I know a hopped 300 has right around 64000 psi and that enough when it goes off. I really don't want my little 700 by my nose when 68000 psi goes off. IMO.

It could be done but why not use the Remy long action to build a 338 Win Mag, 338 Edge, 300 RUM, 300 Win Mag or something like that that the action was designed to support.

The 338LM is a great cartridge but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Also, this has been discussed at length several times. Try the search, it helps.

I have talked to my gunsmith about the same thing. He said NO WAY. The action is not strong enough. He did not recommed this idea at all. I agree with Coyote3 I wouldnt want that much psi going off near my face with action.

You can do it and remington does it straight from the factory. I myslef dont think its a great idea. But i have also seen guys run cheytacs in the rem 700. Just dont think you would have much of a bolt lug life.

Is this casey?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can do it and remington does it straight from the factory. I myslef dont think its a great idea. But i have also seen guys run cheytacs in the rem 700. Just dont think you would have much of a bolt lug life.

Is this casey?</div></div> I really believe that if a person wanted to use a remington 700 for the Lapua I would build a plate to fit in the box recess and tig weld the bottom shut and make it a single shot action, then use a solid steel one piece base and up the screws to 8-40 and it probably would be a great action....

Funny thing , you hear over and over that using the 700 action for 338 L is a bad idea. Never once have I seen a post with a totaled out action thats had the livin' shit kicked out of it by 338 L cartridges ....wonder why?
Remington builds the 338UM that burns all the powder the Lapua case burns and more...To say nothing about the 338 Edge....no recalls or posts with pics of catastrophic failures attributed to the action.... wonder why?
Remington builds a 338L on the 700 and sells it .....to open itself up for the liability associated with the production of faulty products?...and endless lawsuits?

Can someone 'splain this to this ol cracker?

• Angry
Reactions: amaxjack

In my experience I would sell the action and buy a custom. There is nothing wrong with the Remington 700, but by the time you have it all worked over you could of bought a custom action for around the same $$. Just the piece of mind alone to me is worth the extra money. Jerry Stiller has the TAC338 for $950 and its basically ready to go outa the box. Take a look at what it runs to blueprint your 700 and then look at Stiller or Lawtons custom actions. Just my 2 cents from an ole cracker.

Just a side note, I had a 300 ultra mag built on a stiller TAC300. I was in a hurry and long story short put 115gr of 7828 with 165gr accubond. I believe the bullets got to the target before I pulled the trigger. The case was stuck to the bolt when I got it out and the primer pocket was about 50% bigger. It didnt hurt the action or me. Sure made me double check things when I'm loading too.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucky1

I thought the guys question was, what does it take to use a 700LA for a 338LM. And, what builder can do this.

pac-nor338, I owned a 338LM on a Remington LA. It worked great.

Ejection ports should be opened up on both ends. Mine had dual ejectors to help eject the heavier case. It will need a Sako style extractor because the bolt face must be opened almost to the full diameter of the bolt body. I used an AICS to fit the huge rounds in the mag. The bottom of the receiver might need to be opened up as well. It's definitely capable of handling it. Remington offers a factory 338LM.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

As for a builder, ask GAP or R&D if they can do it.

BTW, George Gardner did me a huge favor in helping me with mine. I won't go into details, but my original smith screwed me. George helped me out big time.

Jered or David at American Precision Arms can do them. Give him a call.

Can it be done? Yes.

Would it be safe? I would say yes.

Is it a pain in the ass to convert a standard long action to 338 LM? Yes and in my opinion not worth the cost or hassle when there are very good purpose built actions for the .338 LM.

Remington went through some trial and error trying to shoehorn a LM in their long action. There are reasons why the LM receivers are larger in diameter and it's not just because of pressure.

Stick with a custom action, a much better option. If you want to go big in the LA go .338 Ultra Mag or .338 Edge.

Yes, it can be done. I have built them on Rem 700 long actions. There is a lot of massageing to the receiver on the port openings. To get around the possible bolt lug failure ( althought I've never seen one) I use a PTG machined bolt with the Sako extractor. I also use the Wyatts bottom metal set up which requires machining the receiver at the rear of the magazine port and the bolt stop. The stock will need to be inletted to fit the Wyatt's trigger guard assembly.

Of course all this work is not cheap but then again nothing about a 338 LM is ! The prototype I built has over 1200 rounds down it with NO indication of any kind of failure except soon it will be ready for a new barrel.

I highly recommend you use a heavy taper barrel and very agressive muzzle brake because the 338 LM will beat you up without them.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Hope this answered your question.