• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cool piece of history on Gun Broker

Re: Cool piece of history on Gun Broker

5th Special Forces Group no less, would love to hear the story how he came by this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 65 they were what was mostly over in south east Asia. Well they had a few marines, but they did not get nuts till 66.

SF, Advisers (MACV) Marines, the 173rd Abn Bde, and 1st Cav, were there in '65 if I remember right.

I'm not sure I understand the "captured rifle" bit, since we used the A4, and gave them to the RVN, if the VC got them from the RVN, then it wouldn't be classified as a "captured weapon". But I guess if you knew the right people you could pull it off.

Still, the price seems pretty heafty without the glass, to me.

The price does seem high to me, and I doubt it was a capture. I bet he pulled it from armory stock as a souvenir.
I have heard that it was very hard, if not forbidden, to bring back sniper rifles even in WW II. But what he likely did was remove the scope and mount and put them in his ValPak. They wouldn't require any papaerwork.
The guys probably put them back on later, and they have been removed for sale separately.

I have am 03a4 that was brought back by my Father in law in 1970. The SN for mine is about 1000 rifles higher than that rifle. This is a very early production A4, it is only 212 rifle away from the earliest known production A4. Barrel should be a 1-43 or possibly a 2-43. The one for sale has been through a rebuild and was re-barreled and re-stocked. The bolt handle also looks very suspicious, I would have to see better pics of it. The bolt should also be parkerized since it went through the arsenal rebuild program. I agree that the price is steep for no glass. It should be wearing an M84 or possibly a weaver K4-60B for VN. The paperwork for mine was done through the Vietnamese using export papers, FIL said he could not get US paperwork since it was a US rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SF, Advisers (MACV) Marines, the 173rd Abn Bde, and 1st Cav, were there in '65 if I remember right.

I'm not sure I understand the "captured rifle" bit, since we used the A4, and gave them to the RVN, if the VC got them from the RVN, then it wouldn't be classified as a "captured weapon". But I guess if you knew the right people you could pull it off.

Still, the price seems pretty heafty without the glass, to me. </div></div>
Sounds more like an acquired souvenier- the finish is in amazing shape for anything that supposedly was running around the jungle in the hands of a North Vietnamese soldier.

I agree no glass $5250? I mean it's a legit and pretty minty sniper rifle, but is it worth $5250 without glass?

Pretty interesting. I wonder how many of these remained in Viet Nam after WWII? We did do a lot of support during that time. Both to the RVN and the French. I would think though that unless this rifle was 'assigned' to a high ranking REMF, that it would have a lot more dents and dings in it.

All that paperwork sounds good to make the sale, but there is nothing on the American side to say how or why it got over there. In that case the rifle is certainly not worth what he is asking. And if he's asking that much it needs to have glass on it in as good of shape as the rifle is.

Could have been from some of the stuff we pulled out of Cambodia in May of 70 when we did the incursion. Found all sorts of stuff. I "liberated" an M3 sub-machine gun to keep on my bird with me. He was up in Nha Trang, which was a bit far north, but it could have gotten traded up that way.

Regardless, it's a nice piece.

The shape of the rifle looks more like an ARVN instead of VC/NVA.

Never fired, only dropped once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shape of the rifle looks more like an ARVN instead of VC/NVA.

Never fired, only dropped once. </div></div>

Too damned funny, Kraig ! ! ! !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shape of the rifle looks more like an ARVN instead of VC/NVA.

Never fired, only dropped once. </div></div>

Too damned funny, Kraig ! ! ! ! </div></div>

That is pretty funny. I would have to say, they never really dropped them. They laid them up against a tree or something and walked away....

if you pay attention you can still "Sneak" a few things home. Navy Customs gets complacent. But officially most cool stuff is a big fat no...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you pay attention you can still "Sneak" a few things home. Navy Customs gets complacent. But officially most cool stuff is a big fat no... </div></div>

taken from experience?