• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cooling System

Schutzhund99

Old Soul
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2021
Michigan, USA
I've been using this Coleman pump for just over a year to cool my rifles and do groupings. Well it finally wore out on me. Anyone on here have a good cooling system they could share that'll last and maybe cool a bit better? I don't need it to be portable as I have plugs right above my stalls. I'm thinking of investing in a mini ac and funneling the air through a tube. I'm going through 300rds of .338 Lapua within 2 hours for context.

Captured photo.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I picked up a chamber chiller about 4 years ago and it continues to perform.

Reactions: spife7980
I picked up a chamber chiller about 4 years ago and it continues to perform.

Yep, this ^^. Drive it with a USB battery bank and its quiet too.

I've been using this Coleman pump for just over a year to cool my rifles and do groupings. Well it finally wore out on me. Anyone on here have a good cooling system they could share that'll last and maybe cool a bit better? I don't need it to be portable as I have plugs right above my stalls. I'm thinking of investing in a mini ac and funneling the air through a tube. I'm going through 300rds of .338 Lapua within 2 hours for context.

View attachment 8413549
You shoot a round a 338 lapua every 12 second for two hours straight? Thats insanity. Why?

Hi,
I have experience firing 100 rounds per hour of 338 lapua, I can provide pictures of buckets of brass and dead barrels as needed, and this is the type of fan we use MOUNTO 3-Speed Air Mover 1HP 4000+ CFM Monster Floor Blower Carpet Dryers Janitoral Floor Dryer https://a.co/d/13bUfnU

1715220134337.png

Yes, bringing the generator to the range is a pain, but $300-500/hour in ammo adds up.

Sutherland
Design and Testing engineer
Thunder Beast Arms corp

I don't know the volume of air your current Coleman "cooler" produces... but I'd bet it is much more then my Chamber Chillers.
I wonder if you could somehow draw colder air from a buck of ice ?... or filled with those bagged ice packs. ( Limit moisture blowing down the barrel. )
I have never tried this... but "maybe" your could coil some of the tube in the "ice bucket" for added chill.

I would be concerned about condensation in the coiled tube though.

EDIT... see next post.

Or this might have more volume of air ( than your Coleman ) and could be adapted... it does have a trigger lock for continuous "blowing" and 3 speeds, "100CFM" .
BTW, it is also a handy blower for us ocd folks, with reasonable air force.

Random internet example...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...V0DmtBh2LWQAbEAQYASABEgK-IfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Even if it didn't work out, you'd still have a handy small blower.

Last edited:
Oops... and I have to ask, do you have an idea what max temp. are you reaching after a typical session ?

And how much does / did your current setup cool it down ?

And for the biggest 100$ question... how rapidly can someone cool down a barrel with out FUBAR'ing internally it ?

Given your rate of fire... I would think more volume of air would be a good start.

Last edited:
Sure there are better solutions but I found a shop vac works well. Only draw-back, requires a small 2500w generator when in the field.
1000014299.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: LuckyDuck
Here’s one I made a while back. It works but I may experiment with larger blowers.

FMawLW.jpg

cQmWg6.jpg

lcGhfk.jpg

It uses a 20v DeWalt battery as a power source. Battery port came from Amazon. Milwaukee could easily be substituted if that’s what you have. I used a 20v to 12v step down transformer and a 12v cooling fan from a Canon printer. There are a shit ton of small fans available on Amazon but I used what I had on hand. It’ll run for about 5 days straight on a fresh 4ah battery and is very quiet.

For the chamber end I threaded a small piece of 5/16 brass tube to 5/16-36 to match the thread pattern on the OAL case gauges available.

Dcr24Z.jpg

Made up a separate case for all my rifles and simply install whatever one is up that day.

Last edited:
I've actually found that a small cooler of ice water and a rag works 10X better and faster and costs $0. On a hot, sunny day it doubles keeping beverages cold.

I lost all fear of combining water and firearms when I started shooting flintlocks.

Wrap your barrel with one of these water tanks…

1715304388739.png

…plus a hose from barrel cooler to your truck bed full of ice water

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Hi,
I have experience firing 100 rounds per hour of 338 lapua, I can provide pictures of buckets of brass and dead barrels as needed, and this is the type of fan we use MOUNTO 3-Speed Air Mover 1HP 4000+ CFM Monster Floor Blower Carpet Dryers Janitoral Floor Dryer https://a.co/d/13bUfnU

View attachment 8413917

Yes, bringing the generator to the range is a pain, but $300-500/hour in ammo adds up.

Sutherland
Design and Testing engineer
Thunder Beast Arms corp

Since it's such a high profile test why don't you just bring 10 rifles and not have as big a cooling requirement .

That way when you order 10 barrel blanks you can get a discount.

Since it's such a high profile test why don't you just bring 10 rifles and not have as big a cooling requirement .

That way when you order 10 barrel blanks you can get a discount.
We still have to cool the can.

Swapping the can wouldn't test the quality of the mount.

Un strapping and re strapping the rifle would be a pain.

Used AI barrels that don't shoot well are cheap/free from the right people.

10 rifles won't fit in most cars

Do you know how much 10 AIs would cost?

We typically only need 4-5 barrels.

Heres part of 4000 rounds of 50bmg

I don't have any 338 videos, but it's similar.

Ok it was a joke.

But I worked in manufacturing and with the machine shop. We had air coolers for the cutting tools on the machines instead of coolant.

They were ran on 90 psi of air.
They could just about freeze a cutter sitting still.

There are probably several variations on them look at a machine shop supply company.

They would cool a barrel and can, as they can produce frost on a part turned up full blast.

@SDet

You could run one on exterior of the can and second down barrel controlled by a couple of thermocouples and some swiching.

I just bring a water bottle. It cools 27 times faster than air.

Feed it water till its not hot.....feed it some air and give it a minute to stabilize.

Reactions: jabonra
We still have to cool the can.

Swapping the can wouldn't test the quality of the mount.

Un strapping and re strapping the rifle would be a pain.

Used AI barrels that don't shoot well are cheap/free from the right people.

10 rifles won't fit in most cars

Do you know how much 10 AIs would cost?

We typically only need 4-5 barrels.

Heres part of 4000 rounds of 50bmg

I don't have any 338 videos, but it's similar.

Wow, that can and brake really KO recoil, don’t they? That is super impressive.

I was expecting the shooter to get slapped around A LOT.

Ok it was a joke.

But I worked in manufacturing and with the machine shop. We had air coolers for the cutting tools on the machines instead of coolant.

They were ran on 90 psi of air.
They could just about freeze a cutter sitting still.

There are probably several variations on them look at a machine shop supply company.

They would cool a barrel and can, as they can produce frost on a part turned up full blast.

@SDet
This whole thread is a joke, I was just walking through the process that lead to the big fan.

OP could address his typo, or we can all continue to have fun.

• Haha