• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

I do not know if this will help anyone, but I figured I'd post it in case. I picked up my CDG on Monday and have been fiddling with it. It, frankly, is a work of art. I have two Mausingfields (an M5 and an M7) and I love them, the CDG is somehow just a little different. It is beautiful to behold. The trigger tuning works really well and is very easy to do, very cool feature.

I don't have a dedicated stock or chassis for this action, I was planning on just swapping it into one of my AICS when I wanted to use it. This morning I gave it a try and unfortunately ran into a snag. There isn't clearance for the trigger hanger in the back or the front. I've got some (crappy) pictures of the rear-hopefully you can tell.

It looks like I could easily remove a little material with a mill and get the clearance needed to make it fit but I am undecided if I will do so at the moment. I might wait until I get a permanent stock for this.

So, just a heads up to anyone who was going to put this in an AICS, it'll need a little bit of fitting.

(do i need to say this is not a criticism of the action or of ARC? it's fucking awesome and i see why it could be considered the last of the bolt actions-i get it. this is just a heads up to anyone who wants to drop into an AICS.)

View attachment 8138400

View attachment 8138401View attachment 8138402View attachment 8138403

Edit to add:
This happens sometime. I had issues with a Timney in a different AICS as well:

View attachment 8138406
View attachment 8138407
Link to detent
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/91ksiZT.mp4
Hi Evil!

This is exactly why I've been asking (see post #3,316) if someone who received their CDG could take some measurements of the trigger hanger and protruding fastener & set screw and a measurement to the hanger from the recoil lug or front face of the receiver so we can get an idea of what clearances we'll need for them.

This information would certainly help anyone on the Hide who ordered one of the CDGs or is thinking about it to understand any fitment issues they may need to address up front.

I've been working with a vendor who's chassis I'm looking to buy about a month now and their concern is clearance for the trigger hanger. They tried reaching out to ARC but they weren't able to get any replies via phone (voicemail full) or email. I've been trying to reach out to the Hide members for some help, but I haven't had any luck there either.

Do you think you can help?

I've been working with a vendor who's chassis I'm looking to buy about a month now and their concern is clearance for the trigger hanger.
I sent my MDT ACC chassis over to Greg / Russ at Bugholes (Southern Precision Rifles) along with the brake and Trigger Tech Primary trigger. At the end of the day, from my conversation with them, it is best if they get to put this together as additional inletting might be the way to go here.

Hi Evil!

This is exactly why I've been asking (see post #3,316) if someone who received their CDG could take some measurements of the trigger hanger and protruding fastener & set screw and a measurement to the hanger from the recoil lug or front face of the receiver so we can get an idea of what clearances we'll need for them.

This information would certainly help anyone on the Hide who ordered one of the CDGs or is thinking about it to understand any fitment issues they may need to address up front.

I've been working with a vendor who's chassis I'm looking to buy about a month now and their concern is clearance for the trigger hanger. They tried reaching out to ARC but they weren't able to get any replies via phone (voicemail full) or email. I've been trying to reach out to the Hide members for some help, but I haven't had any luck there either.

I’ll pick mine up tomorrow and can measure

Hi Evil!

I'm a software developer and have really crummy calipers so take this with a grain of salt.

All dimensions in inches.

CDG TriggerHanger.png

I sent my MDT ACC chassis over to Greg / Russ at Bugholes (Southern Precision Rifles) along with the brake and Trigger Tech Primary trigger. At the end of the day, from my conversation with them, it is best if they get to put this together as additional inletting might be the way to go here.
Hi Cobra!

Thanks for replying! I figured if I could get the dimensions the vendor is asking for it would help them and others on this site as well. I understand inletting may be needed, but it sure would be great to know beforehand since it'll really "take the wind out of my sail" when I got everything to build only to find that things didn't fit well. I told the chassis vendor that if they didn't get the dimensions they needed before I received my CDGs I'd simply send them off to them for fitment and so they can take all the measurements they wanted.

BTW, I've used Bugholes in the past and they're really great to deal with! Highly recommended all around (especially the large selection of barrels they have)!!

Reactions: CobraCharmer
I'm a software developer and have really crummy calipers so take this with a grain of salt.

All dimensions in inches.

View attachment 8138570
Hi Evil!

Excellent!! That's exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you very much!!

Two questions, though...
Is the 0.44 inch dimension from the rear action screw the rear-most, front-most, or central location of the hanger?
About how far can the hanger move front-to-rear?

That should give me everything I need!!!

Reactions: Rex_Allen
Just got a reply from Manners re: their long range hunter they will inlet for the CDG and in a lefty

Reactions: pingunit
Two questions, though...
Is the 0.44 inch dimension from the rear action screw the rear-most, front-most, or central location of the hanger?
Ah... the .44" is center to center and the rear screw does not move... so it's not super helpful now that you bring it up.

About how far can the hanger move front-to-rear?

Dang... that is a VERY good question. I'm not sure I want to un-time my trigger to get the answer though :-( maybe someone who hasn't gotten their trigger on can chime in?

• Love
I told the chassis vendor that if they didn't get the dimensions they needed before I received my CDGs I'd simply send them off to them for fitment and so they can take all the measurements they wanted.
Honestly, since the CDG is so new, this would be the best course of action. I looked at the ARC site and did some cursory searches on the internet but the dimensions for the trigger hanger aren't listed anywhere. The kindness of folks like evilsemaj who actually took the measurements for you would be it. I wonder if those would change slightly for the Long Actions (I am guessing not since the trigger dimensions dont change based on action length).

For anyone curious, my ACC Elite fits the CDG just fine.

Rear action screw needed to be sanded down slightly or the bolt would catch.

Last edited:
You guys think a Xylo would be too heavy for a hunting rig?
Depends on where and terrain.
I hunt with a .22Creed/Xylo/Mausingfield/26"sendero/viper/15.5lbs. Of course it is Texas style, mostly in a blind with a windowsill rest or shooting from an open windshield-down jeep. I have carried it walking some pretty good distances on gently rolling terrain and am and always really glad to put it down, even had a couple of I'm too old for this shit, what was I thinking moments.

Not going to be pretty! That said even though I have not had my hands on one of your actions I like a lot of what I am reading about your design. Even if I won Powerball tomorrow I could not allow myself to spend $899 on your action on principal alone, I think you and everyone else that sells an overly expensive action does a terrible job making a compelling argument as to why your action is worth $899 out of of "because". Here is your chance! Cheer's!

So it is not accurate enough to deliver the killing blow with the first shot it needs an extra shot to finish off the wounded that rules out military sniper use? Might re-think that as a not so great marketing idea.

"It’s Rem700 footprint receiver is machined with an integral recoil lug and integral 20 MOA rail." So if you did not target the softest market since the small block chevy you could not sell your action?

"The three-lug, 70-degree bolt uses interchangeable floating bolt heads and accommodates everything from 223 Rem on up to 338 Lapua." So the floating bolt head that everyone has made fun of on the Savage 110 since the 1950's as a cost saving measure and a means to make up for precision machining is not hot and trendy? So why should I not purchase actions like Savage and Thompson Center that use a floating bolt head for far less money?

"The three-lug, 70-degree bolt uses interchangeable floating bolt heads and accommodates everything from 223 Rem on up to 338 Lapua." The three lug bolt has been done many times by many companies factory actions why did you wait this long to do this when you could have done it long ago!

"Receiver and bolt work well with AICS mags but are optimized for incredibly smooth and reliable feeding using AIAW mags and conical breech barrels." Many companies have done three lug bolts and conical bolts and breeches in both 2 lug and 3 lug and trapezoidal designs. Why did you wait this long to do this?

"Receiver-mounted passive (aka mechanical) ejector sends cases out at three o’clock through a large ejection port." Mauser did this as did Winchester and 1903 Springfield enerital ejector along with many other's. Why did you wait this long and why should anyone care?

"

Controlled-round feed extractor grips a large portion of the case rim taking full advantage of the patented pivoting bolt handle that easily pulls even the most stubborn cartridges from the chamber." Why should anyone in the precision shooting game care about this since this is often frowned upon by all but serious dangerous game hunters.? I can get the same from a cheap Mauser Action or Savage action I think the 11 and 111 are CRF?

"The pivoting bolt handle can be swapped out for a fixed handle thus converting the action to one with conventional cam extraction better tolerated by highly sensitive triggers." So why go with this design other than to cheapen manufacturing by having a bolt built up from cheap sub components like a Savage or Browning A-Bolt? Everything about this bolt design says "Cheap to manufacture" no matter if one goes with the pivoting bolt handle or non-pivoting handle!

"The entire bolt assembly is composed of only sixteen parts, but can function with as few as twelve, of which two are springs and one is a ball." Again your bolt handle screams cheap and weak design! A Mauser 98, CZ550, Howa 1500, Winchester Model 70 and 1903 Springfield and many other riles have far fewer components that make up the bolt and they are stronger forged one piece designs! Oh and they cost far less than your action costs! So why should I see your design as anything but a cheap to produce design?

"Dual cocking cams reduce friction within the bolt for easier bolt lift." I love this and most of what you have done but explain to people why this is fantastic! I can not even pretend not to like this! LOL
That's the best you can troll? Sad....

Not going to be pretty! That said even though I have not had my hands on one of your actions I like a lot of what I am reading about your design. Even if I won Powerball tomorrow I could not allow myself to spend $899 on your action on principal alone, I think you and everyone else that sells an overly expensive action does a terrible job making a compelling argument as to why your action is worth $899 out of of "because". Here is your chance! Cheer's!

So it is not accurate enough to deliver the killing blow with the first shot it needs an extra shot to finish off the wounded that rules out military sniper use? Might re-think that as a not so great marketing idea.

"It’s Rem700 footprint receiver is machined with an integral recoil lug and integral 20 MOA rail." So if you did not target the softest market since the small block chevy you could not sell your action?

"The three-lug, 70-degree bolt uses interchangeable floating bolt heads and accommodates everything from 223 Rem on up to 338 Lapua." So the floating bolt head that everyone has made fun of on the Savage 110 since the 1950's as a cost saving measure and a means to make up for precision machining is not hot and trendy? So why should I not purchase actions like Savage and Thompson Center that use a floating bolt head for far less money?

"The three-lug, 70-degree bolt uses interchangeable floating bolt heads and accommodates everything from 223 Rem on up to 338 Lapua." The three lug bolt has been done many times by many companies factory actions why did you wait this long to do this when you could have done it long ago!

"Receiver and bolt work well with AICS mags but are optimized for incredibly smooth and reliable feeding using AIAW mags and conical breech barrels." Many companies have done three lug bolts and conical bolts and breeches in both 2 lug and 3 lug and trapezoidal designs. Why did you wait this long to do this?

"Receiver-mounted passive (aka mechanical) ejector sends cases out at three o’clock through a large ejection port." Mauser did this as did Winchester and 1903 Springfield enerital ejector along with many other's. Why did you wait this long and why should anyone care?

"

Controlled-round feed extractor grips a large portion of the case rim taking full advantage of the patented pivoting bolt handle that easily pulls even the most stubborn cartridges from the chamber." Why should anyone in the precision shooting game care about this since this is often frowned upon by all but serious dangerous game hunters.? I can get the same from a cheap Mauser Action or Savage action I think the 11 and 111 are CRF?

"The pivoting bolt handle can be swapped out for a fixed handle thus converting the action to one with conventional cam extraction better tolerated by highly sensitive triggers." So why go with this design other than to cheapen manufacturing by having a bolt built up from cheap sub components like a Savage or Browning A-Bolt? Everything about this bolt design says "Cheap to manufacture" no matter if one goes with the pivoting bolt handle or non-pivoting handle!

"The entire bolt assembly is composed of only sixteen parts, but can function with as few as twelve, of which two are springs and one is a ball." Again your bolt handle screams cheap and weak design! A Mauser 98, CZ550, Howa 1500, Winchester Model 70 and 1903 Springfield and many other riles have far fewer components that make up the bolt and they are stronger forged one piece designs! Oh and they cost far less than your action costs! So why should I see your design as anything but a cheap to produce design?

"Dual cocking cams reduce friction within the bolt for easier bolt lift." I love this and most of what you have done but explain to people why this is fantastic! I can not even pretend not to like this! LOL
You sure typed a lot for no one to read it.

"

"The entire bolt, even the striker assembly, can be disassembled in the field without the use of tools" I can not pretend to have issues with this but Mauser, Winchester, Howa also do this for far less. Explain why this is huge not so much for competitor but for hunters in the field like say in Africa compared to say a Remington!

"Patented toroidal bolt-lug bearing surfaces reduce stress." This is nothing new other OEM mass produced and custom actions have done toroidal 2 and 3 lug bolts. Explain what this is for those on this site that are not 50 years old and students of history? Why is it a good thing? How does your design differ? What makes it a worth paying for???

What the hell makes you think $899 is a low price that is about as stupid of a statement as someone thinking the 60 count of egg's I bought 3 years ago at Walmart for $2.87 is a barging at $20 or no the lower price of $11.99 recently! How clueless are you as to think $899 is a barging? As much as I like 90% of this design on this point alone I think you are either retarded or suffering dementia!

So now that I have given you a fantastic opportunity for you to actually market the design elements you think everyone should think are great let me ask you some serious questions!

1) What are the levels of concentricity, squareness, tolerance stacking I should expect if I purchase your action?

2)What can I measure your product against so insure that I am getting every dime of my moneys worth?

3)How do I check that you are delivering to me the product I am paying for other than your word?

4)What do I get by purchasing your product that I can not get by sending off my Remington, Savage, Commercial Mauser, Rugger, Winchester Pre-64 M70 etc.... to Gre-Tan?

5) How do I guarantee that if I do not think I have gotten my moneys worth I get a full refund?

6) What barrel and gunsmith do I need to use to guarantee sub 1/4 or 1/8 MOA?

7) What is your guarantee and it had better not be something lame like a 1/4 MOA and definitely not 1/2 MOA? At $899 I had better get one heck of a guarantee!

So while I like the design elements mostly for your action I am looking for some fantastic answer's better than your less than average marketing! If I can not hold you do dimensions and machining standards and engineering standards that you have already lost and your are not worth my time or my money! If your answers are not founded in solid engineering and can not be measured empirically you are not doing well! I gave you some huge softball pitches for you to hit out of the park! This is not an attack!

Would you be willing to put your work up against a factory mass produced action that has been Machined by Greg at Gre-Tan? What about other's precision 'smiths? Maybe have a 3rd party measure the actions? Maybe let a 3rd party test the actions. Clearly it would not be me or you since I am not good enough and you and I both have bias! It would have to be someone that is not paid by either party and is a regional or national champion. I am at my best now at 50 years of age a 1/4 MOA shooter so I am not at all good enough. It would be fantastic if we could involve other's and have a BBQ, Bon Fire, shooting for fun and cheap prizes get together.

My premise is that for anything other than BR $899 to $2500 actions are a waste. That said I am not against them rather I am against the push that makes people think they need this level of gear to have fun and have any hope of doing well in non-BR competition.

My wife was a manchinest and prior to going to work in Engineering, Material Science, Business I was an apprentice in Automotive and Tool and Die. While I am not from Missouri I am definitely a " Show Me" type of guy!

I would love to be proven wrong on this. Why? Because then science, engineering and true learning would reign supreme!!! Maybe having a precision gunsmith handy and a variety of barrels handy would be a good idea. Shoot various actions and barrels with factory premium match grade ammo and also allow pet loads. Maybe have Silhouette, F-Class, PRS, NRA High Power Shooters handy to test all actions.

Lots of cigars, bourbon, beef, pig and chicken handy???? Maybe have different custom actions handy and OEM mass produced actions and the same blue printed handy?

Maybe being able to test rigidity, lock time, harmonics, bolt bounce. I do have a 200Mhz digital oscilloscope so we could with the right sensors measure a lot of variables!

I understand why no manufacture would want to do this though since everyone has nothing to gain and everything to lose!

I sincerely look forward to any answer's you give. I repeat this is not an attack on your product but I do understand why it could be seen as that. I truly like a lot of the design elements you have worked into your design. No one will alloy themselves to be pinned down or backed into a corner with anything like empirical evidence and hard standards. I understand if you chose to ignore me!
I found the one guy who cares……
1683872452340.gif

This cunt is either a really bad, yet super committed troll, or an autist who has been let loose on the internet for the fir

"

"The entire bolt, even the striker assembly, can be disassembled in the field without the use of tools" I can not pretend to have issues with this but Mauser, Winchester, Howa also do this for far less. Explain why this is huge not so much for competitor but for hunters in the field like say in Africa compared to say a Remington!

"Patented toroidal bolt-lug bearing surfaces reduce stress." This is nothing new other OEM mass produced and custom actions have done toroidal 2 and 3 lug bolts. Explain what this is for those on this site that are not 50 years old and students of history? Why is it a good thing? How does your design differ? What makes it a worth paying for???

What the hell makes you think $899 is a low price that is about as stupid of a statement as someone thinking the 60 count of egg's I bought 3 years ago at Walmart for $2.87 is a barging at $20 or no the lower price of $11.99 recently! How clueless are you as to think $899 is a barging? As much as I like 90% of this design on this point alone I think you are either retarded or suffering dementia!

So now that I have given you a fantastic opportunity for you to actually market the design elements you think everyone should think are great let me ask you some serious questions!

1) What are the levels of concentricity, squareness, tolerance stacking I should expect if I purchase your action?

2)What can I measure your product against so insure that I am getting every dime of my moneys worth?

3)How do I check that you are delivering to me the product I am paying for other than your word?

4)What do I get by purchasing your product that I can not get by sending off my Remington, Savage, Commercial Mauser, Rugger, Winchester Pre-64 M70 etc.... to Gre-Tan?

5) How do I guarantee that if I do not think I have gotten my moneys worth I get a full refund?

7) What is your guarantee and it had better not be something lame like a 1/4 MOA and definitely not 1/2 MOA? At $899 I had better get one heck of a guarantee!

So while I like the design elements mostly for your action I am looking for some fantastic answer's better than your less than average marketing! If I can not hold you do dimensions and machining standards and engineering standards that you have already lost and your are not worth my time or my money! If your answers are not founded in solid engineering and can not be measured empirically you are not doing well! I gave you some huge softball pitches for you to hit out of the park! This is not an attack!

Would you be willing to put your work up against a factory mass produced action that has been Machined by Greg at Gre-Tan? What about other's precision 'smiths? Maybe have a 3rd party measure the actions? Maybe let a 3rd party test the actions. Clearly it would not be me or you since I am not good enough and you and I both have bias! It would have to be someone that is not paid by either party and is a regional or national champion. I am at my best now at 50 years of age a 1/4 MOA shooter so I am not at all good enough. It would be fantastic if we could involve other's and have a BBQ, Bon Fire, shooting for fun and cheap prizes get together.

My premise is that for anything other than BR $899 to $2500 actions are a waste. That said I am not against them rather I am against the push that makes people think they need this level of gear to have fun and have any hope of doing well in non-BR competition.

My wife was a manchinest and prior to going to work in Engineering, Material Science, Business I was an apprentice in Automotive and Tool and Die. While I am not from Missouri I am definitely a " Show Me" type of guy!

I would love to be proven wrong on this. Why? Because then science, engineering and true learning would reign supreme!!! Maybe having a precision gunsmith handy and a variety of barrels handy would be a good idea. Shoot various actions and barrels with factory premium match grade ammo and also allow pet loads. Maybe have Silhouette, F-Class, PRS, NRA High Power Shooters handy to test all actions.

Lots of cigars, bourbon, beef, pig and chicken handy???? Maybe have different custom actions handy and OEM mass produced actions and the same blue printed handy?

Maybe being able to test rigidity, lock time, harmonics, bolt bounce. I do have a 200Mhz digital oscilloscope so we could with the right sensors measure a lot of variables!

I understand why no manufacture would want to do this though since everyone has nothing to gain and everything to lose!

I sincerely look forward to any answer's you give. I repeat this is not an attack on your product but I do understand why it could be seen as that. I truly like a lot of the design elements you have worked into your design. No one will alloy themselves to be pinned down or backed into a corner with anything like empirical evidence and hard standards. I understand if you chose to ignore me!
Now I understand............

what isn't funny is

I thought we didn’t allow open sodomites outside of the bear pit ?

"

Any TLDR?🧌

"

Go be ultra poor somewhere else. $899 is the cheapest action I can find in anything I’d actually want to shoot. This on is ever but an $1800 action for half price.
I got mine with 30moa rail.
A floating bolt head doesn’t make up for precision machining. If they weren’t precision, you couldn’t swap them out and have them still headspace exactly.
Of their 4 actions, 3 are three lug. They haven’t waited until now.
Of their 4 actions, 3 are three lug. They haven’t waited until now.
All of ARCs actions use mechanical passive ejection. They haven’t waited until now.
Ted has never been secretive about his admiration for the Mauser. Guy buy a Heym and tell me it’s a cheap Mauser. Also, there seems to be some sexual tension between you and Savage.
The rest is too long. Didn’t read.

Last edited:
Guy has to compare multiple different actions across 100 years against one to prove that this action is not up to snuff.
----‐-------------

Look don't get me wrong. I love my Savage I like its ability to change out bolt heads. However there is something about custom actions that are light years beyond the Savage actions. I have a 110 that I've sunk countless hours, 4 barrels, 2 stocks, 8 different scopes, and thousands of rounds of 300WM into. It shoots bug holes if I do my part. There is still a lot to be desired; the bolt lift is still really heavy, the Basix trigger is not as nice as the TT diamonds, the bolt has a lot of slop when the action is open Savage still has very little aftermarket.

The ARC actions are just really nice. On the surface they do the same thing as the Savage. However the attention to details and creature comforts make the ARC actions well worth the price tag.

TLDR: I'm spending the initial cost to build something right the first time instead of Nickel and Diming myself to death trying to make something "just good enough".

Reactions: Ziloooo
FclASS is probably still driving his 1978 Ford Futura, because it "does the job."

He has zero understanding of radial tires, power steering, lumbar support, FM radio, body roll, anti-lock brakes or even air conditioning that actually works, because, Muh, Savage.

Yeah, all of the factory actions go bang when you pull the trigger. That's about it for comparisons.

My Step Daughter has a 2012 Fiat 500 convertible sitting in the driveway. It's light years ahead of that Ford Futura in every aspect except room. Yeah, a fucking Italian made Fiat is better.

My wife's Sonata absolutely kills everything better than that Ford.
Fuck, even my beat up old 04 F-250 Diesel with 330k on the odometer beats it in every way.

FclASS, you remind me of my 16yr old stepson who can't tell the difference in anything below the surface.
It doesn't matter if it's products, textiles or food.
When he does actually decide why one thing might be better than another, it's because of bad data and raw misunderstanding of what's actually important.

That's you in a nutshell.

You guys think he typed that? Totally a copy pasta from ChatGPT.
Yeah, just take a deep dive into what other things he has said on other threads. It all tracks with the stereotypical boomer/early Gen X mentality of "if it's cheap and works its better than the [product] that is 2x the price" or "old things are built better than current bottom of the barrel chinesium [product].

I was reading Fclass guys response while taking my morning dump at work…. And here’s my thought on it…

On his #4 rant, he calls out Gre-Tan about sending actions off to be accurized. The fact that a specific smith was called out leads me to believe he has probably used them before. Which in turn leads me to believe he had one or more rifles not performing up to standard. So the question becomes, how much was paid for the initial rifle, how much was paid for the accurizing service, and what other components of the rifle were fixed? New barrel? New trigger? New stock? How much was spent to make said rifle “shoot?”

$899 for the foundation of a build, that doesn’t need to be “fixed” is a hell of a good starting point. With that kind of pricing, you can build a bell of a nice rifle (minus optics) for under $3k. A rifle that will definitely shoot better than what most people are capable of.

That being said, I still need to order one when I’m done being poor this year haha

I actually read all of it... and it sounds like some fellow engineers that I know and a lot of lab rats and people in academics. Data and numbers is their entire life. Sometimes that translate to real world and other times it's only useful in a controlled lab.

But I'm just not sure why he thinks the price is outrageous?

Stock used R700 actions are going for $500-$600. Stock used Tikka actions are going for $600-$700. Neither of those have a MOA rail, so add $100 for a quality one. The Tikka Recoil design isn't great in my opinion and new lugs for R700s also add cost. Not to mention neither are integral.

This is a full custom with additional options going for not much more. I guess if you add in the trigger cost, then it's a significant difference, but if you're looking at this action, then you'd be looking at better triggers anyway. Price wise, the only other options are an Origin or Mack Bros, and this has features which aren't available in those.

Last edited: