• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

What's the regular everyday price going to be once the pre-order is over?

Trying to prioritize..

I was thinking 300 PRC, so I probably want the 30 MOA rail?
I'd never not go 30MOA regardless of cartridge. Scopes have more and more travel these days. The more of it I can use the better.

Yeah if the scope has enough travel there’s really no reason not to get the 30MOA rail. I went 20 because the scope I have is just under what’s recommended to run a 30

I don't want to derail this thread but planning to run this CDG on my Xylo but also on my Foundation stock with OTM DBM. This DBM doesn't have a AW latch available but wouldn't the fix be to simply file the current notch ?

I don't want to derail this thread but planning to run this CDG on my Xylo but also on my Foundation stock with OTM DBM. This DBM doesn't have a AW latch available but wouldn't the fix be to simply file the current notch ?
Or run AICS.

Well I'm waiting for the hunter version. Hope they do a similar intro price.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Always thought you needed a LONGER latch for AW. That’s one of the reasons I don’t run OTM DBM anymore.

JAE-700 is has adjustable latch height, and is designed to run both.

Reactions: kthomas
I'd never not go 30MOA regardless of cartridge. Scopes have more and more travel these days. The more of it I can use the better.

Not to derail, but the further you get away from the optical center of the lens the more degradation you could run into. So you might be giving up some clarity by using a 30moa rail if you don't need it.

I asked ARC about building a 33xc off of the CDG. I asked a few questions and appreciated the quick response. See copied response from their emailed response to me.

Thanks for the kind words! We have had a few requests for single shot receivers, so it is definitely something we are thinking about. With the preorders just opening, it's a little hard to say exactly how long it might be until they are available, so feel free to check back with us in the coming months.
For 33XC, the Coup De Grâce can definitely handle it. We've built and explosively tested 338 Lapua on 1-1/16" actions many times

Hopefully this answers a few questions. It does for me regarding a 33xc build off of the new action. I will wait and see what my options will be after the pre-orders have gone through.

Not to derail, but the further you get away from the optical center of the lens the more degradation you could run into. So you might be giving up some clarity by using a 30moa rail if you don't need it.
So the further you shoot, the closer to the center of adjustment you’ll be with a 30 vs a 20.

This action was bought just to be a .223ai. Now should I wait for a prefit or get my local home grown barrel guy to do the chambering and conical breach? Wonder if it’s gonna be as simple as just putting a crown per so in the chamber side of the barrel?

This action was bought just to be a .223ai. Now should I wait for a prefit or get my local home grown barrel guy to do the chambering and conical breach? Wonder if it’s gonna be as simple as just putting a crown per so in the chamber side of the barrel?

No, that's not how the coned breech works.

It's explained in the first few pages of this thread, but I'll toss in an image that might help explain it.

This first image is unmolested and shows how the cartridge sits in a coned breech barrel. Note that the rim and extractor groove are the only unsupported part of the brass.

1673146928128.png

With a flat breech, the tapered portion is not part of the barrel, but the cartridge still gets the same support.
Sorry for the lousy image, but I'm doing this on my phone and the new photo manipulation socks.

Everything to the left of the red line isn't part of a flat breech.

1673146928128-1.png

No, that's not how the coned breech works.

It's explained in the first few pages of this thread, but I'll toss in an image that might help explain it.

This first image is unmolested and shows how the cartridge sits in a coned breech barrel. Note that the rim and extractor groove are the only unsupported part of the brass.

View attachment 8071478

With a flat breech, the tapered portion is not part of the barrel, but the cartridge still gets the same support.
Sorry for the lousy image, but I'm doing this on my phone and the new photo manipulation socks.

Everything to the left of the red line isn't part of a flat breech.

View attachment 8071492
If I'm understanding this correctly the cone is shaped to mate up loosely with the extractor angle however the need for the cone really has nothing to do with extraction or the extractor but is solely to allow the cartridge and bullet to feed into the chamber. Everything works fine with a flat faced barrel as long as the tip of the bullet starts into the chamber.

So was there agrement on which bolt style would be more reliable? Fluted or not? Referencing teds question earlier in this thread asking about our preference, going to order and cant decide. Cool factor is great but reliability is king...

If I'm understanding this correctly the cone is shaped to mate up loosely with the extractor angle however the need for the cone really has nothing to do with extraction or the extractor but is solely to allow the cartridge and bullet to feed into the chamber. Everything works fine with a flat faced barrel as long as the tip of the bullet starts into the chamber.
Pretty much yes. There is no feed ramp in the action due to the 6:00 bolt lug.

I just built a 223 on a nuke that runs smooth as butter. My CDG will be a straight 308 Win & run with the AW mags.

If I were doing one of the first 223's on the CDG, I'd want to put the action in the barrel smiths hands for fitting the cone breach.

The cone has to clear the extractor & protrusion on the opposing lug since these are control round feed. Both the extractor and opposing lug protrusion are wider on the small case heads. So in essence the .378 case (most in need of the cone) will be the trickiest to ensure the cone clears.

Pics are worth more than my shitty explanation. The opposing lug case support sticks out .110 on the Archimedes bolts below, don't know what it is on the CDG? Maybe the CDG has the opposing lug tapered??? The ARC website just has 1 rendering for all bolt sizes (looks like .473) so I cant tell.

1675995904236.png

IMG_7529.jpg

Not to scale, but drew in opposing lug case support.
1675995390682.png

Reactions: AllenOne1 and Ichi
I believe way back in the thread Ted said small diameter cases like .223 will absolutely require the conical breech for feeding as the small cases will drop part way down into the 6 o'clock lug cut and the tip of the bullet will hit the breech face below the chamber instead of entering the chamber.

He also said the conical breech was essential when using AICS single stack mags, and as of now that's all that is available for .223.

He said a flat breech will work for 308/CM cases and similar with AW mags, but conical is always recommended for best feeding with the possible exception of magnum calibers with large case diameters.

Link to his post below.

Last edited:
I believe way back in the thread Ted said small diameter cases like .223 will absolutely require the conical breech for feeding as the small cases will drop part way down into the 6 o'clock lug cut and the tip of the bullet will hit the breech face below the chamber instead of entering the chamber.

He also said the conical breech was essential when using AICS single stack mags, and as of now that's all that is available for .223.

He said a flat breech will work for 308/CM cases and similar with AW mags, but conical is always recommended for best feeding with the possible exception of magnum calibers with large case diameters.

Link to his post below.

I would think all cases could benefit, even .535 and .588 case heads, from the conical breech since there is no feed ramp in the action. My thought is why not have it just for that little extra reassurance that everything is going to go where it needs to be. This would kill the off the shelf prefit side of the house but with a drawing they should be able to have you one in relatively quick order.

So was there agrement on which bolt style would be more reliable? Fluted or not? Referencing teds question earlier in this thread asking about our preference, going to order and cant decide. Cool factor is great but reliability is king...
I’m in the same boat. It’s hard to tell from the video if the flutes would allow crud into the magazine that would have been stopped by the non-fluted model. I actually think no flutes looks a lot better, but like the idea of adding lightness.

Also, what kind of steel is this made of? It wouldn’t affect my decision to buy, honestly just kind of interested in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: padfoot 37
Also, what kind of steel is this made of? It wouldn’t affect my decision to buy, honestly just kind of interested in it.

I'm guessing it's the same non-stainless alloy used in their other actions.

https://straightjacketarmory.com/product/american-rifle-company-nucleus-action-gen-2-0/
Metallurgy: The Nucleus is made from high strength alloy steel. It is not made from stainless steel. The Nucleus undergoes a salt bath nitride finishing process to harden and blacken its surfaces. The resulting finish effectively resists corrosion and reduces friction thus enhancing the smoothness of the action.

Last edited:
sounds like a 6 / 6.5 creed out of an AW mag?

edit: yep, as per comments

I'll be building a 300 PRC rifle using the CDG. It looks like my only choices for mags are AICS, but everything I've read here says AW mags are best. How well will the CDG action feed from an AICS 300 PRC mag?

I'll be building a 300 PRC rifle using the CDG. It looks like my only choices for mags are AICS, but everything I've read here says AW mags are best. How well will the CDG action feed from an AICS 300 PRC mag?
there are no long action AW mags. long action is all AICS or wyatts box type

Reactions: HemiPowrd
2 totally non technical questions this morning...

1. Is today or Sunday the last day for the pre order pricing? ARC said "until the end of the week."

2. Is ARC going to make a version of the new CDG style hourglass knob that will fit their earlier actions? Sure would be nice to have the new style hourglass knob on my Archimedes builds to match the CDG...

2 totally non technical questions this morning...

1. Is today or Sunday the last day for the pre order pricing? ARC said "until the end of the week."

2. Is ARC going to make a version of the new CDG style hourglass knob that will fit their earlier actions? Sure would be nice to have the new style hourglass knob on my Archimedes builds to match the CDG...
1. No one knows. So just place your order and get in line.

I asked ARC about building a 33xc off of the CDG. I asked a few questions and appreciated the quick response. See copied response from their emailed response to me.

Thanks for the kind words! We have had a few requests for single shot receivers, so it is definitely something we are thinking about. With the preorders just opening, it's a little hard to say exactly how long it might be until they are available, so feel free to check back with us in the coming months.
For 33XC, the Coup De Grâce can definitely handle it. We've built and explosively tested 338 Lapua on 1-1/16" actions many times

Hopefully this answers a few questions. It does for me regarding a 33xc build off of the new action. I will wait and see what my options will be after the pre-orders have gone through.

I don't think the question is whether the CDG action can handle that cartridge or not. The big question with the larger cartridges is if there's enough "meat" in the barrel shank and surface area on the lugs to adequately handle the pressure to prevent from pressuring out early.

My understanding (I'm not a gunsmith or ELR action designer), is that larger cartridges like the 33XC and up can show signs of pressure early in actions that have "undersized" lugs (for the cartridge) and thin shank walls around the chamber.

It's not so much a matter of if the CDG can handle a 33XC, but more so if the CDG can adequately handle the cartridge without showing early pressure signs.

it'll be interesting if they get it down in the 22-26oz range to compete with the Anti and Ti actions

the open top M7 only saves an ounce or so
That’s because of the top rail, if you ditch that and go to the Titanium rings I’m sure you’d save more.

Since lefties come last, going to sit back and let this rush run its course. That and the fact a lighter hunter version may be offered in future. Great looking action and hope to see some completed rifles this summer or fall.

So what companies who have confirmed they were doing pre fits? Can’t seem to find it in this monster thread.

Proof stated they were not planning on it at this time.
Wasn't aware proof said they didn't plan on it. I think Ted tried reaching out about it.

Preferred barrels, LRI, PVA, and Straight Jacket have all said they'd do it.