• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple of new rifle builds, help with calibers...

bandit10_4

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Vernon, Texas
Ok, so I have a pile of parts to build a couple rifles out of and am undecided on calibers. I know for sure that I want to shoot heavy high BC bullets and in 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm. Here is a list of my parts so far: 2 RSR repeaters with .308 boltfaces, 3 bartlein 5R barrels 7mm 1-9. 6.5mm 1-8.5, 6mm 1-8. KMW sentinel stock, Mcmillan A5 w/kmw loggerhead, 20moa surg bases for both, got a couple os rem triggers (thinking about a jackson), got a 5.5-22x50 and a 3.5-15x50 NF high speed zero stop scopes with npr1, NF rings. I hunt alot of coyotes and punch paper, like to do some long range hunting also. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Been thinking about 6.5 CM, 6.5x47 , 6x47, 6xc??? Just cant settle on a choice, would love to here you guys' ideas! Thanks

Re: Couple of new rifle builds, help with calibers...

run a 243win throated for 115 dtacs, with 26" barrel you can reach 1000 easy then some more.

for long range hunting, I love my 7 WSM.
For paper punching/steel targets, I went with a 6x47 and 6.5x47

For the coyotes, a 6x47 would be perfect.

build a 6xc for long range doggin, use the 7 blank for a .284 win (making quite a comeback) for larger game hunting and tactical stuff, and...

sell me the 6.5 barrel
grin.gif

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bandit10-4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I have a pile of parts to build a couple rifles out of and am undecided on calibers. I know for sure that I want to shoot heavy high BC bullets and in 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm. Here is a list of my parts so far: 2 RSR repeaters with .308 boltfaces, 3 bartlein 5R barrels 7mm 1-9. 6.5mm 1-8.5, 6mm 1-8. KMW sentinel stock, Mcmillan A5 w/kmw loggerhead, 20moa surg bases for both, got a couple os rem triggers (thinking about a jackson), got a 5.5-22x50 and a 3.5-15x50 NF high speed zero stop scopes with npr1, NF rings. I hunt alot of coyotes and punch paper, like to do some long range hunting also. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Been thinking about 6.5 CM, 6.5x47 , 6x47, 6xc??? Just cant settle on a choice, would love to here you guys' ideas! Thanks </div></div>

My vote is 6x47L for one of them but I'm biased.
wink.gif
Although a 6mm Crusader would be very tempting! Selfishly thinking...how I would approach the situation for rifle #2 I'd be trying to get into a Surgeon WSM action and build a 7SAUM.That way you would have just about(I say this loosely}every hunting situation covered.

i vote 7mm-08 on sentinell and 6x47 on the mcmillan, mind you i am biased and currently have a 7mm-08 and ran a 6x47 all last match season. i would recomend the huber triggers if your looking into cg jackson's.

The 6.5 with the 1-8.5" twist is screaming to be a .260. I have a bare action Rem 700 .308 boltface that will be built along those lines......someday.

Well made my decisions and had em built. Man did they turn out sweet! John Beanland is a craftsman to say the least and his work is TITS! Heres a crude picture of my rifles as I just picked them up... Specs are as follows:

Top rifle: Surgeon RSR action with Cross tactical bolt knob, Surgeon 20moa rail pinned, MCMillan A5 adjustable with Cross loggerhead, Bartlein 8 twist barrel chambered in 243Win threaded 5/8x24 capped 22". Cerekoted FDE. Tuned Rem trigger.

Bottom rifle: Surgeon RSR action with Cross tactical bolt knob, Surgeon 20moa rail pinned, Cross KMW Sentinel Stock, Bartlein 8.5 twist barrel chambered in 6.5Creedmoor threaded 5/8x24 capped 22". Cerekoted FDE. Tuned Rem trigger.

They're not LH, photo came out that way???

2011-04-26_20-51-22_407.jpg

beautiful rifles for sure. why though did you build two with such close capabilities? you mentioned long range hunting and i dont think either of these chamberings would be ideal even within the limitations of a short action. a 7mm-08ai would have given you some more horse power that could come in handy when the range gets long on game animals. i would like a range report as i have been considering rebarreling my .260ai to 6.5cm. i will build a 280ai soon and i can use that for LR hunting and the 6.5cm makes a little more sense for me in a match rifle. either of your rifles will be tops for LR coyotes though.

chuck