• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Coyotes ~ for those of us that are new to them

Halvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
Greenville, SC
While I had hints last year, I figured out that I have a pack, or a mating pair with previous years pups, on my property. Suburbia setting, got a little over 5 acres, ambulance sirens got em all going 3 times last night. I went out on the back porch and they sound like they are closer than 100 yards to the house. Heavily hard wooded, no livestock, small children, pets, etc. If they don't have rabies, I figure they will keep down the rodent, copperhead, rabbit, squirrel, feral cat populations, etc and aren't even worth worrying about. Hell, I am in SC, and they are a invasive species to me. So, you that have lived with them forever, what would you do?

Re: Coyotes ~ for those of us that are new to them

It's up to you what you want to do to them, or with them. If they aren't causing you problems, then there's no real need to control their population.

I have a small pack that lives near my house, but they don't come close, i've only spotted one within' sight of my small dog, but that was several years ago. Haven't seen them really around. You can tell when the rabbit population is down as the missing pet signs go up. If I see them in the neighborhood, they'll get shot with the .22. Rabbit population must be good as they haven't been around lately, and a couple months ago we had quite a few feral cats that I had to polish off.

Branden

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]get out the coyote calls, and the video camera.[*]Call for a while and see if they come in. [*]when they do...(and they should if they havent been called before) WHEN they do...flick on the spot light and blast this video as loud as any speakers you have can handle, and see what they do. [*]If they stand there in amazement for long enough to pull the trigger...SHOOT THEM. [*]If they BOLT, then just consider it good YouTube footage and post it for me to watch.[/list]

Interesting responses. I am in suburbia so that prevents centerfire altogether, ANY gunfire is against local ordinance, although I do hear the occasional rimfire and shotgun blast, probably against squirrels or cats...

They really aren't "bothering" me, just wondered what others in the east experience has been, living with them long term.

Okay, my first response was somewhat vague so I will elaborate. I grew up in a gated subdivision on a golf course with enough woods to support quite a few coyotes and foxes. They never really bother anything as long as you have your pets kept out of reach. The thing is, from time to time these animals that are around people most of the time lose their fear of people and thats when the trouble starts. You might not have any pets or children to worry about but I'm sure someone around you might. A grown woman was killed in Canada a few weeks back by two coyotes. My advice to you is give them a reason to fear people. You say you hear an occasional rimfire shot, well my advice is to get out your .22 and shoot every coyote you see. They're not exactly an endangered species and it might save some kids life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sleepymonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, my first response was somewhat vague so I will elaborate. I grew up in a gated subdivision on a golf course with enough woods to support quite a few coyotes and foxes. They never really bother anything as long as you have your pets kept out of reach. The thing is, from time to time these animals that are around people most of the time lose their fear of people and thats when the trouble starts. You might not have any pets or children to worry about but I'm sure someone around you might. A grown woman was killed in Canada a few weeks back by two coyotes. My advice to you is give them a reason to fear people. You say you hear an occasional rimfire shot, well my advice is to get out your .22 and shoot every coyote you see. They're not exactly an endangered species and it might save some kids life. </div></div>
Fuck yeah +1!!!!

IMO,The only good 'yote is a dead 'yote.

Shoot'em.

308Panther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Panther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO,The only good 'yote is a dead 'yote.
</div></div>

Especially in the fuckin suburbs. The hippies can complain all they want about us encroaching on an animals habitat, but if a certain animal is dangerous, whether it be to our children or pets, I say lay the fuckin hand down. They will find somewhere else to live.

Coyotes will kill just for the kill.......not because they are hungry. Get rid of them as soon as posible.

Pop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CFS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyotes will kill just for the kill.......not because they are hungry. Get rid of them as soon as posible.

Pop</div></div>

man is that the truth, they got into some pheasants we were raising and at about about a dozen of them and then killed another 100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]get out the coyote calls, and the video camera.[*]Call for a while and see if they come in. [*]when they do...(and they should if they havent been called before) WHEN they do...flick on the spot light and blast this video as loud as any speakers you have can handle, and see what they do. [*]If they stand there in amazement for long enough to pull the trigger...SHOOT THEM. [*]If they BOLT, then just consider it good YouTube footage and post it for me to watch.[/list]
</div></div>
this is the greatest post ever

Take them out to lunch, make small talk, get to know them a bit, then after a few glasses of wine explain to them your concerns. Define your emotional boundaries and strongly condemn rash and ruhtless actions by both sides. Ask them to understand your point of view and make sure to thank them for listening. After all, it worked for Lyle Lovett with bears, or so the song goes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take them out to lunch, make small talk, get to know them a bit, then after a few glasses of wine explain to them your concerns. Define your emotional boundaries and strongly condemn rash and ruhtless actions by both sides. Ask them to understand your point of view and make sure to thank them for listening. After all, it worked for Lyle Lovett with bears, or so the song goes... </div></div>

Didn't Grizzly man try that and him and his GF were eaten?

A lot of folks are making jokes and that is fine......just understand..... my statement is the truth. These are some of the most steathy and vicious creatures. They have grown to populate every state in the lower 48. They will survive to kill and destroy.
Use whatever means you can. Bow,rimfire, centerfire, shotgun.
Get rid of them as soon as posible or you will have problems. If they are breeding in you area, they already have an advantage.
They will attack anything that looks like an easy target. Pets, kids, whatever. They carry mange, rabies and a host of other diseases.

Just my feelings......I do agree on one point made above...the only good yote is a dead yote.

Pop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]get out the coyote calls, and the video camera.[*]Call for a while and see if they come in. [*]when they do...(and they should if they havent been called before) WHEN they do...flick on the spot light and blast this video as loud as any speakers you have can handle, and see what they do. [*]If they stand there in amazement for long enough to pull the trigger...SHOOT THEM. [*]If they BOLT, then just consider it good YouTube footage and post it for me to watch.[/list]
</div></div>
this is the greatest post ever </div></div>

mother of god plus 1

Ive lived in very rural areas my whole life, never lived in town. From all the 1000s of coyotes I have seen, never seen one even think of acting aggresive. Have heard of it if they are rabid though, and youll know it quick. For me, they honestly do more good than harm, eat squirrels jackrabbits and everything else, I only start to shoot them after they pack up, because then they will start to get baby calfs.
Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sleepymonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot a few of them just so they know not to be fucking around. </div></div>

I dunno, I think this might be the best one so far lol. In all seriousness I would shoot everyone you see. They can be a threat to kids, pets etc.

-Z

If you see one, kill it. They'll learn not to come close to the area. The majority of them will get to live and be happy, and you keep your neighborhood safe. I hear them all the time, but only see maybe one per year. On the rare occasion I've heard them get too close, a couple shots in their direction from the bedside 12 gauge helps them remember where they're supposed to stay real quick.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it unless I see one. That's when the real trouble can start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I had hints last year, I figured out that I have a pack, or a mating pair with previous years pups, on my property. Suburbia setting, got a little over 5 acres, ambulance sirens got em all going 3 times last night. I went out on the back porch and they sound like they are closer than 100 yards to the house. <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #3333FF">100 yards is too close. They feel safe now which you should now feel unsafe.</span></span> Heavily hard wooded, no livestock, small children, pets, etc. <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #3333FF">How about other people in the area? Do they have pets, chidren livestock?</span></span> If they don't have rabies, <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #3333FF">How do you know they don't have rabies? You wont know until one charges you while you are walking to your car and chews the crap out of you</span></span>. I figure they will keep down the rodent, copperhead, rabbit, squirrel, feral cat populations, etc and aren't even worth worrying about. Hell, I am in SC, and they are a invasive species to me. So, you that have lived with them forever, what would you do? </div></div>

I have lived with them forever because I haven't been suscessful in killing all of them. These are not warm fuzzy puppies that look cool bounding through the field. If you have a problem getting rid of them send them to my place.

I have 3 square miles of Antelope hills where I walk my dog a few blocks from home. The coyotes wanted my dog so bad that they would follow us. One day with my dog, I doubled back and ambushed one coming out of a draw but missed with my 1911 in one hand and my dog pulling the other on his leash. He knew they would kill him and didn't want anything to do with them. I went in one afternoon with my .243 (left my dog at home) called in and killed 2 in one stand. Never seen coyotes so bold.

Not trying to add to the coyote hate but...
years ago I would ride my horse out into the area around my house, my old dalmation would follow, over the years the dalmation started to show his age.
One day on the way home a group of about six coyotes tried real hard to take my dog. The only thing that kept him from becoming a meal was the fact my horse loves to run down dogs and he can't tell the difference between a dog and a coyote.
After that day I have kept a nice little lever action with me while riding.
After one or two shots, I had no more trouble with coyotes trying for my dog. They do learn quick.

whack them and if you did not get a deer this year, send them to the meat market for yote sticks. I hadn't eaten yote sticks before- but it would sure as heck make you shoot a deer next year. Kidding aside- my passion is calling in and whacking yotes- got me another one last sat morning, going back for more this weekend. Get yourself a 22 short, and a 10 dollar rabbit call, Primos KiYi- garb up in a tree suit - slap on some fox pee on your boots and sit next to a tree at sun rise- watch down wind- toot in the Kiyi and let them come in. when you see them stop tooten in the kiyi and kiss them closer 15 yards or so- then IF you are lucky you will get one shot off. Your neighbors wont pinpoint the shot unless you end up firing more than one shot. Not likely- or you can shoot from inside the house through an open window. Once you whack one- the others won't play in your yard anymore. If you miss him- he will go tell his buddies and again that wont play in your yard anymore. The reason they are there and returning is there is a source of food somewhere. Warning once you call in one- you will be addicted to it and will end up owning a dozen yote guns, different calls, a ranch,..... all just to sing up song dogs. Lots of fun.

THEY have just recently become a problem in my deer hunting area. A Neighboring farmer asked me last summer to come deal with this pack harassing his farm dogs and calves. Sure enough like clock work right where he said I caught a pack in the open.I had never shot a coyote before this day however i got lucky with my DPMS LR .308. With 1 bullet I had 2 yotes down&The rest on the run. I sat there every evening for two weeks after that and they never returned to that field but are around alot in the area.
There seems to be alot of them around now we have noticed while bow hunting the past 3 years especially. We also noticed this deer/bow season that the local deer population seems way down. Every mother Doe we see has only 1 yearling instead of the normal 2 for this area. 2 yearlings per mother doe has always been the norm until the yotes moved in. I gotta believe the yotes are the problem, as for rabbits I havent seen one the last three years either.
As a side note I got a coyote call and nice spotlight for Christmas, and will be using them now that deer season is winding down.

P.S. dont tell my wife but Ive been letting her/our new poodle outside alot & alone when the wife's not around but I cant seem to find a yote when you need one.
smile.gif
I hate that piss bag good for nuthin dog u can tell.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P.S. dont tell my wife but Ive been letting her/our new poodle outside alot & alone when the wife's not around but I cant seem to find a yote when you need one.
smile.gif
I hate that piss bag good for nuthin dog u can tell.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Housecat/Barncat..... The other bait.

If your gonna try callin them...start with a real low volume and work up.
Also pay attention to the wind....they will circle around and come in downwind from you.A visual decoy can help as an addition....
If workin over bait....dead calf/deer or somesuch best to stay away from it.
With it bein winter it can take them a little longer to discover the bait pile.
Breedin season is comin up soon...and furs are prime now.
Expect some heavy action soon.

Happy Huntin
308Panther

Im all excited to go yote huntin now!

I keep letting Pancho(Chihuahua) out and the coyotes and the owls just are doing their job. He's still here kissin on me and leaving his white cat hair on everything. Dam lazy good for nothing Covotes, and don't get me started on those Hootin Owls, keep you up all night, but won't eat the dog. Dangerous predators, Bah! Humbug!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I had hints last year, I figured out that I have a pack, or a mating pair with previous years pups, on my property. Suburbia setting, got a little over 5 acres, ambulance sirens got em all going 3 times last night. I went out on the back porch and they sound like they are closer than 100 yards to the house. Heavily hard wooded, no livestock, small children, pets, etc. If they don't have rabies, I figure they will keep down the rodent, copperhead, rabbit, squirrel, feral cat populations, etc and aren't even worth worrying about. Hell, I am in SC, and they are a invasive species to me. So, you that have lived with them forever, what would you do? </div></div>

Bad, bad ju-ju, Halvis-sama. Respect these animals for the predators that they are. "If they don't have rabies"...well, how do you know and what if they do? Call animal control now or 911 later. A pack of hungry coyotes can be a stealthy and fearsome group, and once the feral cats are gone, housepets are next on the list, then its only a matter of time before a small child is set upon. I'm not hatin' on coyotes by any stretch, just tellin' it like it is.

Earlier I made the comment the " The only good 'yote is a dead 'yote."
but in all honesty huntin them for me has become a passion or an addiction.

And it is <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> addicting.
'Yotes are a challenging animal.
For as much as they are a nuisance they can make
for an awesome trophy.

LeeJayandherNewFriend.jpg

Happy Huntin
308Panther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sleepymonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot a few of them just so they know not to be fucking around. </div></div>

x2

Suburbia? Get a crossbow. If they are close enough to kill with it, they need to be killed.

I read a story recently about a man that was attacked while riding his mower in broad daylight. It bit his ankle/boot and when he kicked at it, it ran off. He got off the mower and ran for his shotgun in the house. He didn't make it. The yote circled him and took him down. He grabbed a stick and beat it till it backed off again. His wife eventually came to the rescue with a stick or shovel or somethin allowing the guy to get to the house/shotgun. The yote returned again, coming up on the porch and was dispatched. My memory is bad but that's mostly what I remember from the story.
JH
edit to add a remembered part...ahh old age

acehigh- i hope that guy tested for rabies because yotes are definitely not prone to attacking ppl. maybe if a small child or toddler was left along playing in the yard, but not a grown man riding a lawn mower... they like to stick to like bird and rabbit size prey. they especially love kid goats, trust me...

Most states require licensing to trap even on your own property.
Trapped yotes make alot of noise and attracts unwanted attention in subdivisions while its chewin its toes off.

One well placed shot is all ya need.....even with a rimfire.

308Panther

jackh,
I'm sure he was. He was chewed up pretty good IIRC.
JH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashnrondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the reason I started but now it is a passion
CDY_0019.jpg
</div></div>

This thread has become very timely for me; this pic could have been taken behind my house two nights ago. My terriers got me up for their usual 1:30 am perimeter patrol and pee check. We stepped out on the front porch and a 'yote lit up with a greeting howl right behind my house. Immediately at least 6 other voices responded within a quarter mile radius, good for at least two packs. Very, very cool, and pretty hair raising at the same time. I spent Saturday cutting tracks looking for a den with no luck, but there is a fresh and very well gnawed carcass of a yearling doe in the treeline just 80 yards behind my house, which they returned to last night. The yearling was still with the mother up to this point; I had passed on a shot at Mom during season because the little one was still nursing. I saw Mom solo in the neighbor's yard this evening.

For me, it now means I can no longer let my two Boston Terriers in the yard unsupervised any time of day and I won't be in the yard without something in my belt. I live in a small rural subdivision, so discretion and respect for the safety of the neighbors is mandatory. Next I'm going to try to bait and call one in and quietly dispatch it and hang it for bait; hopefully some other pack members will show up and I'll have a chance at another one. I'm all about live and let live, but coyotes are stone cold predators, make no mistake. My choice may not be right for you, but for the safety of my dogs and livestock, I need to at least thin the packs using my property as part of their territory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovetsx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd trap them </div></div>

A good option if you're pretty sure you're gonna get a 'yote and not a neigbor's bichon-frise.

In Virginia, hunting with suppressors is legal. Coyote are classified as varmints and there is year-round open season with no limit on them, at least at this time. And, as an avid varmint hunter, this year was the first year I saw practically no groundhogs; I took two at the beginning of the season, but after that all I saw were unused holes, even in the best fields. Never seen it this thin in 20 years, not even close. The reason in my mind is coyote predation. In Highland County, Virginia, sheep farming <span style="font-style: italic">used</span> to be commonplace. Now only a few farms raise sheep in the Bluegrass Valley area because coyote predation virtually assures 80+ percent loss of the flocks, even with donkeys, mules, llamas, and Phalanx 20mm Autonomous Anti-Coyote systems (OK, that was a little RoadRunner-esque). I hate to use such a trite new hot phrase, but coyotes are "game changers".

i agree you should kill any coyotes you can near your house . for everyone you see there is 5 you dont they are very stealthy . killing some will help keep the rest away

Wow. Many more responses to this than any other thread I have ever started at the hide, obviously a relevant topic/problem affecting many of us.

To put it lightly, I am no fan of non native/invasive species introductions, where they don't belong, whether they be insect, animal or fauna. As CFS stated, 'yotes are crafty and stealthy bastards. I can't be sure that my ONLY possible sighting on my property (3 years ago at dusk) wasn't a fox. I can be certain that I know em when I hear em, and I have only heard em ONCE since the night of 12/24/2009. (realize that doesn't mean that they have moved elsewhere) Also sightings of cats, rabbits, coons, possums, & turkeys etc on my property is at an all time low. Interesting discussion, thanks for all the responses.

i put money on you getting hooked once you call one in, you will find yourself spending bookoos on custom hand calls and lanyards and camo and guns and...

npha.com
predatormastersforums.com