• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Craddock Presicion .224 Valk barrel Gas Block diameter

Mr. F

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2011
Im thinking about getting on the .224 valk wagon via homebuild and im looking at craddock for my barrel.

Now, is the gas block diameter the deciding factor on the final contour or is it just personal preference? All of my past builds have been .750.

Am i loosing out on something if i stay on that common GB size?

Thanks

What kind of rifle do you want? A heavy contour barrel will be heavy. A light contour will not. I know this sounds obvious, but you can use barrel contour to weight your rifle for what you are doing with it. 3gun vs PRS gas gun division would be two pretty different ends of the spectrum. I'd expect a heavy contour to be more rigid, resist heating better than a light contour, and walk less when hot. A heavy barrel may make a rifle feel more nose heavy, which may be a benefit when shooting from a barricade, but less so when shooting off hand.

Its a heavy build. My question here is since they offer different GB profiles...

Whats to lose or gain by going a different diameter other than .750"

The larger the GB diameter, the heavier and stiffer the barrel will be. Stiffer will always be more accurate and it also helps mitigate POI shift with a can on/off if that's something you care about. If going over 20" I would definitely step up to the .875", for 16"-18" I think .750" is fine.

I'd get 5/8-24 threads too since it leaves more meat on the muzzle.

Reactions: Stavey
I Have a 20” 6.5cm from Craddock that is .875 at the gas block . The barrel profile gives you a little more material without being as heavy as a full on bull barrel. I actually like it so much I’m waiting on a 18” 308 from Craddock in the same contour .