• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Crazy found skull, and three weeks of shed hunting

mberry223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
I was given this by a taxidermist friend who is taking me under his wing. I've done a few Euros now, and have the general hang of it. But this... I've never even heard of something like this. It was found in this exact condition. Obviously died in velvet and then just had the right conditions to allow the antler to harden. CRAZY!!! The lucky one who found it would like it whitened, but I'm a little concerned about how to go about it. The rack is hard, almost coral like. My Wife says it looks like Cauliflower!

crazyweirdcauliflowerdeer.jpg

022-1.jpg

023.jpg

Here's all the sheds I've picked up in the last month!!! A lot were given to me by others in our group who knew I would want them The Full skull I am holding is just under 140", it would have been 140" if the main beams tip hadn't broken off. With the breakage it was 136.75". There had been a lot of fires, so the sheds stood out. I have lots to practice repairs and staining on. Plenty for craft projects as well. Got some cool ideas for the holidays!

For size reference, the container is 40 gallons!

015-2.jpg

016.jpg

019-1.jpg

Re: Crazy found skull, and three weeks of shed hunting

That rack in the top pictures are what are refered to as "cactus" bucks, something went wrong with the testosterone for sure. Have seen quite a few them, though never personally taken one myself.

Cactus bucks most often have had their nuts clipped off by dominant buck . Ouch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cactus bucks most often have had their nuts clipped off by dominant buck . Ouch.</div></div>

I've also heard that they are castrated! Seen a huge cactus buck mount and that's the story I got.