• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship crazy shots!!!! lets hear about them...

Re: How I (accidentially) shot a robin

My buddy and I shooting at 8 inch pie tens at 250 yards with an AR Iron sites. One Pie ten had a stick in front of it. Stick was probably 1/4 inch. As the friendly banter went back and forth. A wager set and buddy shot the stick through the center on the second try.

Pretty impressive.

There's was a fly buzzing around in the guard house one day. I'd been playing with my Crawford/ Kasper, flipping open and closed due to boredom.

When the fly came near me I flipped it open and "Hai'yahd" the knife in a samurai strike like motion and watched the fly fall in two.

I thought I was seeing things until the other guards gasped out loud too!

When i was a little kid i had a shitty bb gun, it was hand gun and me and my friend only had 1 bb, so we would shoot birds in the head and get the bb out of the skull to re use it, killed more then a few before my friend finally lost the bb.

was using a shitty recurve bow and i saw a chicken and it was a long shot for a bow, just his head was sticking out from behind a downed log. The arrow glanced off the log then glanced off the chickens head killing it instantly, it didnt even flap.

Killed 2 caribou with 1 shot using a 243.

Killed 2 geese two seperate times once unintentionally with a 30-30 and the second time was intentional using my .308 one through the neck the other through the body.

I have many crazy shots where im from we knock the geese out of the air when they fly over our houses, may seem crazy to some people but that is normal to me.

A few years back we were bunny blasting in the desert. While we were driving out in the dark I spotted a head pop out from behind a bush maybe 100 yards out in the high beams. I yelled "stop" so we could finish off one more jackrabbit and hopped out with my trusty 10/22. Being only the illumination of the head lights I couldnt identify anything but fur so i aimed for the head and let one rip. We hear that wonderful "thud" noise and next thing we know something a whole lot bigger than a bunny falls forward out of the bush. We jumped in the truck and busted up to this stone cold dead beast. Just so happened to be a badger. My shot had gone through one ear and out the other. Clean kill on a badger from 100 yards in the dark with a 10/22. Laughed our guts out on that one then got the hell out of there.

Coldbore, 1025 yd , offhand.

With a 1903 springfield , standard M2 ball ammo (HPX 72)

target was a 3' x 4' tall steel place (3.5 moa)

If I didn't have the camera going, I wouldnt tell a soul. I hard a hard time believing it myself =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ_yXE-R8E4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmelloni82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coldbore, 1025 yd , offhand.
</div></div>

That was pretty cool.

I have a couple. The first was probably when I was four years old. I was at my grandpa's house and he had a bird bath in the back yard for the local cardinal and blue jay population. He hated the blackbirds using it because they had a habit of crapping into the bath, so he took to shooting them with a Daisy air rifle. I asked if I could take a shot and after pumping up the rifle he handed it to me after giving me instructions on how to aim my shot. First shot the pellet went through and through its eye sockets. We went to go check it out and its optical nerves and what was left of its brains were hanging out one eye socket.

The second memorable shot involved a Ruger 10/22 and a clay pigeon. My stepdad and one of his buddies were shooting clays with their 12 gauges while I was plinking steel with the 22. Eventually I got bored with that and took to watching them shoot the clays. I decided, for the sake of shits and giggles, to see if I could nail a clay. On the next pull I lined up the scope on the clay and pulled the trigger. Miss. I adjusted my lead and the second shot took out a pie slice-shaped chunk and the third shattered the clay entirely. I looked over and they were giving me annoyed looks. I returned the favor with a superior smirk and went back to shooting steels.

Late one evening My dad and I were sitting in the work truck watching the combines cut a large field of soybeans. I noticed a coyote sitting about 200 yards away on the turn row. Dad gets the old trusty 30-30 out from behind the seat and says watch this, he takes aim fires and hits about 3 feet low. The coyote takes off running into the field (why into the field I don't know) I grab an old S&W 357 from off the dash and told my dad, no watch this, and with one hand hit the coyote broad side running at 245 steps. I don't think I could hit the combine sitting still at that distance if I wanted to try that again.

I once killed a Jack rabbit with a Kabar out of a moving truck, while EOD at Hill AFB, we were doing a fiber optic line clearance and I was driving the truck while the other guy was walking along swinging the magnetometer, I saw a jack rabbit run out of a patch of sagebrush, grabbed my kabar and threw it...and holy shit did it stick center mass in the rabbit, distance was about 25 feet.

This isn't an incredible shot but one I have always been proud of, I was 16 at the time with my rem700 in .223 and I saw some birds eating on a pile of feed about 75 yrds away, well I didn't want to waste any bullets so I waited for 2 birds to line up and pulled the trigger, went to look at the aftermath and sure enough there were 2 barely distinguishable bird bodies on the ground, one of my best shooting memories
smile.gif

This was a lucky shot but worked all the same. I was driving around looking for coyotes. They don't come to the call very well around my parts. A little snow cover helped the spotting on this day. I see the dog as he starts running like hell out into the middle of the section. I jump out with my 204 ar first shot @ 300+ clean miss. This seems to add to his will to get the hell out of there. I slow down and add quite a bit of swag to elevation and lead. Broke the shot and to my amazement he rolls ass over tea kettle. I expect him to get back up and continue on his way. A few flops and that was the end of it. The 32gr 204 found him at 572 according to my rfb. This was offhand by the way.

Reactions: alibi
was doing LTL training in MOUT. a friend of mine threw a training grenade firing device into the room playing around. it wast in the shell, basically a blasting cap naked.. A errant piece cut my hand. He thought it was hilarious. Later that afternoon i came around a corner and he was smoking and joking with friends. I happened to have a 12 gauge bean bag round in so i shot him in the ass from 20 feet away. he had a 10 inch bruise down his leg. He dropped, yelled and screamed like a little girl. But he never threw bs into rooms again. Nothing special about the marksmanship, but my 8541's buddies lesson learned was priceless.

My most unbelievable shot was actually in A-stan.
My team and me spotted a Taliban in the middle of nowhere, standing and looking at us.
I took my sniper rifle and looking at him thru the glass. My partner lazed him 780m away.
Because of the berm 200m in front of us, the only chance to take a shot was to shoot standing.
It took me three solid minutes to have a clean shot on him, but surprising me and everyone around, I shot him right in the chest, right in the heart area.
One shot, one kill, no sweat!

I'm not even sure to be able to take the same shot in training or simply for fun...

We were shooting at an 8'' plate, 1000 yards away, the plate fell off so there was just a fraction l could see /far right frame on the ground next to right post/ on top of the fog/mist. lt's best to watch on full screen hd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GHEuZt0tSg

Last edited:
one that stands out for me was when i was younger, drunker, and "stupider"

.357 mag pistol, a lake / resivoir up the mountain, a beach ball that drifted out. ricochet shot off the water into the ball, popping it. the 4th shot did the trick.

now being older and wiser, would not try something so dumb (no proper backstop, intentional ricochet, alcohol)

still a lucky shot that produced a holy F moment back in the day.

I like to shoot at coins all the time its not that hard but kids and novice shooters think its cool. Also Ive done the Annie Oakley shot, backwards Lever action with a mirror at a beer bottle.

also last time I took the .22 out (remington 597 with old leupy 4x and a few volqaurtson parts ) I bet my brother I could hit a 3030 case at 75 yards, got it first try

My grandpa used to quail hunt with a marlin 39a .22, Ive had alot of crazy shots, shooting geese so high in the air their guts come out of their ass. But my craziest was when my friends and I were standing on a cliff and a bird was flying down the river about 1000-1200 yards away and I pulled out my makarov pistol and shot at it. The bullet hit the water about 10 inches away from where the bird was flying. It was crazy!! We all still talk about it.

Ran out of targets shooting handguns so my friends genius idea was to play clay pigeons with large rock and 9mms. Yes we had a backstop. I threw a rock about twice the size of my fist about 15-20 feet away and 10-15 feet up and my friend hit it first try with his XD. We were flabbergasted. So then he throws a rock up for me and I hit it first time with my m&p. I guess there is something to that point shooting stuff. I understand that you probably dont think that is incredible, but thats because you havent seen us shoot handguns. :D

one that stands out for me was when i was younger, drunker, and "stupider"

.357 mag pistol, a lake / resivoir up the mountain, a beach ball that drifted out. ricochet shot off the water into the ball, popping it. the 4th shot did the trick.

now being older and wiser, would not try something so dumb (no proper backstop, intentional ricochet, alcohol)

still a lucky shot that produced a holy F moment back in the day.

I also witnessed a 1st bounce hit on steel 200yds away with a 22lr. 1/2 ipsc target 200 yards away, there is a pond about 50 yards in front of it. Buddy was shooting crappy federal bulk because 22 has been so scarce.Apparently federals quality control is slipping recently because we were experiencing the most "duds" ive ever seen in any recently manufactured 22lr ammo. Not the traditional "duds" where they fail to fire or just sound like a fart, they were like 70% loads. About 1 in 20 would be significantly (50 yards) short. Report would sound the same, but the rounds were landing VERY short even at such a long distance. After I got it dialed in I let my buddy shoot and his first round skipped off the water and hit the steel. After we were done we collected the steel and there was one inexplicable sideways 22lr mark on the steel plate. We were amused.

A no bs story, a friend and me went elk hunting and he wanted to check the zero of his rifle. I ranged out 100, set out a real sight in target. I shot my rifle and zero was good. He lines up to fire his extremely old and worn out model 700 in 30.06 shooting 220 gr slugs. He fires and the bullet hits the ground at 80 yards, bounces and nails the bull! That is no kidding! Everybody didn't believe it and he calmly says " boys I shoot exhibition only!"

Shot a squirrel halfway up a tree with a .410...not an amazing long shot but the lil sucker fell in total movie fashion! It sorta stood up and grabbed its chest then fell off the limb backwards! oh and of course it fell down in a huge multiflower bush full of nasty thorns!

1. My friend has chimney sweeps at his house that always fly around in the evening above the yard. For about 2years i asked him to let me shoot them. He said "no you cant hit those ive wasted to many shells tring." Finally he agreed. 1 shot from his gun no less = 1 bird 2 feet from his feet.
2. Shooting at the 100yd range with my .22 for about and hour and a flock of tweety birds approx 4" tall fly up just off to the right of my target. shot 7 of them with a pretty good wind.
3. My brother was deer hunting at my uncles farm when he was 12 years old. He had been asking about what kind and how many deer he could shoot on the trip. my uncle responded you can shoot what ever and how ever many you want. we put my brother at his stand and went to our stands. Later we heard three shots in quick sucsession. went to check on my brother. He killed 2 does and a buck in one sitting, with a bolt action .243.
4. 50yd head shot on a goose with a pellet gun.

I recently got a GA Crusader 6.5 creedmor and shot the best group of my life at 520 yards. I was actually standing up leaning on the shooting bench with my rear bag and bipod set. 10 shots resulted in....
0B22C11C-A3DF-4D55-AC43-6D17959D63F6-1071-00000117F6F3053B_zpsafaf4c93.jpg

how about a knife throw? I was watching 3 South Vietnamese coax a duck in from the water with bread crumbs from a balcony. I had an ice pick next to my beer cooler which i picked up, got the attention of the SV and threw that ice pick, impaling the duck right thru the head with the pick.The look on the SV faces was priceless.

One of mine was during a cold ass Wyoming December day a couple years ago. We were out screwing around shooting steel/paper etc just for grins. My buddy brings out one of those shoot’n’see zombie terrorist targets & staples it to a box after which we commence to shoot the shit out of it @ 200yds. We take a break, walk down to see the damage & my buddy pulls out a cigarette & sticks it into the mouth of this paper silhouette. We walk back to the truck & get set up in the bed prone when my buddy asks me if I can hit that cigarette… Hell, I can’t hardly even make it out @ 200yds with my 14x Zeiss but WTH; why not? I shot five rounds into the “area” of the cigarette & we walk down to see how close I got…
I don’t know which one hit it but, it hit dead center shredding the tobacco & pushing the perfectly split filter out the back where it was still barely hanging on.
I should have been playing the lottery that day.

t

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to pm. Aimsmall55, what app is that? Or anyone that might know?

1. Duck hunting a number of years ago, a group of teal back-doored us and landed right in the decoys right at opening hours. We have a rule for that situation that a) we don't water-swat but instead get the ducks to fly by yelling, etc., then shoot and b) each person only gets one shot (exception being a wounded flyer after first shot). So the teal are crowded together on the water, my buddy yells, they take wing and are about six feet off the water when he and I both take our one shot each: Nine dead teal on the water and we were suddenly five birds away from our two limits within about 30 seconds of opening bell!

2. Like TOP PREDATOR, I had my younger, dumber, drunker days. One night we're partying on a small lake, a long ways from any other folks. It's my buddy's birthday and he's pretty shit-faced, a bottle of Maker's in one hand, a Ruger 10-22 with a 25 round mag in the other hand. Music is cranking, people are laughing, he's dancing a jig. Naturally he starts firing in the air like it's an Afghan wedding or something, rattling off .22 rounds with gusto straight up into the air.

Thump.

A seagull hits the ground about 5 yards from my buddy in a lawn chair, dead as a doornail. Not skipping a beat, my lab at the time retrieves it, brings it over and heals, sitting with the seagull in it's mouth, waiting for me to say "drop." Needless to say, the whole party was crying laughing.

lets see:
my buddy hit a crow with an airsoft gun at 150 yards on a bet
i hit a fly at 85yards with my 22-250
500 yard gong with my .22lr
.15 MOA group at 50 yards with my .22lr
200yard 18"x12" gong with my 38 special
4" 3 shot group at 100 yards with my bow
i used to shoot mosquitoes of my friends arms with an airsoft gun all the time
and cherries off there cigs with an airsoft gun
lots of funny airsoft shots sliding one handed sniper rifle shots and such

these are funny keep'em coming guys

Elk hunting in northern BC when I used to live up there, carrying my .375Taylor (338 win mag necked up to 375). I see a small pack of wolves at 400 yards plus. Wind was in my favour, the Prophet River was between me and them, all camo'ed up. I got comfortable on my ass, and unleashed my best wolf howl....they put on the brakes,and started coming back down the river bank at a good clip. About 4 minutes later they are directly across from me, 100yards or so, I have a 260grain Accubond waiting, and two of the wolves cross each others path. Roll both of them over like bowling pins, jack another shell in and try and hit the other two now running running fulltilt for the trees......no go on those two, just killed aa few willows.

Reactions: Bender
I can finally post my story, as now I actually have one. I went to thunder beast precision today with my dad, stretching our legs beyond 200 yards for the first time. He was using his AR-15 with 69gr SMK's, and doing good out through 600 despite 10-20mph winds. I was on my .308, and doing good through 700. We're both cold and a little tired after 4 hours or so, so I jumped up to 1000 yards. Some folks shooting at a mile said they were getting 10-20mph on the wind readers and shifting 3 mils to the left or right of the target from minute to minute, so I figured this will be an exercise in humility. I dial elevation per a data table, and hold windage 3 mils left of the 1000yd steel plate, and send it. 1st shot ever at 1000, about 2" high. Great, I'll nail it now! I adjust down .2 mils, hold 3 mils left again, and right as I'm about to break the shot, notice a small blackbird flying towards me from about 900 -950 yards. He had been checking out the dirt around the gong, but then decided to take off.... I figure there is no way in hell this bird is anywhere near my trajectory at this point, so I break the shot, just before the bird crosses in front of the plate. My dad was spotting and said he was more interested in the bird than in bullet impacts, so was watching him intently. Sadly, for my feathered friend, our trajectories met. Yep, I stoned a bird, mid flight, at 900+ yards, on my 2nd shot ever at that distance. I watched him pitch and roll to his left, and my spotter saw the impact, the puff of feathers, and a gory pinion falling to the ground. That bullet had to go somewhere....

Reactions: Netman8718
Not a shot, but a string. Recently went 100-6x with a stock rem 700 sps AAC-SD at 600y. Fed 168 GMM.

I was 11 years old out at the farm. We were shooting golf tees with a 760 Crossman bb gun at about 25 feet. There was a purple martin about 85 yards on the abandoned electric line that ran to the old farm house. As I was lining up my shot my grandmother yelled at me saying not to shoot it because they eat mosquitoes. I told her it was too far and too hard of a shot there wasn't any possible way I would hit it. Then I pulled the trigger and watched it fall to the ground.

When my brothers and I were younger (twin and I were 10, younger brother was 8), we lived out in 29 Palms, CA because my dad was stationed out there. We were out in the desert one day shooting our bb guns and it started getting dark, so the three of us jumped up in the back of my dad's old '79 Chevy pickup and rode in the bed as he drove us through the desert back to base. We still had our bb guns with us and my twin saw a bat flying around and started pumping his gun up. We were bouncing around in the back since we were cruising offroad but my brother lined up the shot and sent it. Bat started losing altitude and crashed into the sand. My dad had heard my brother pumping his gun and saw the whole thing and stopped as soon as he saw the bat go down. We retrieved it and took it home where my proud brother got a picture of himself holding his trophy kill. He claims it was just a great shot. I say the bat attacked the bb thinking it was dinner. In any case, my then 10 year old twin brother shot a bat out of the air from the bed of a moving truck with a Crossman bb gun. Later that year he beat a bunch of Marines in a base sponsored turkey shoot and won us a turkey for Thanksgiving, so maybe it wasn't luck... :)

Three of us pre-teens out with out shotguns hunting quail. We were out all day and there was not a bird to be seen. We start heading back to the house and low and behold one lonely bird bust's up from a bush in front of us. The shotguns went off as one sound. Three 12ga 7 1/2's converge simultaneously as a bob white appears in that very spot. We found a foot and nothing else. There were not even feathers we could find.

I have never seen anything so totally destroyed.

Standing, unsupported, one hand. .357mag 686+ 6" revolver w/ factory irons. 140gr. Hornady XTP loads. 5 out of 7 COM on a standard military silhouette target at 300m. Witnessed by many. My best with a handgun --so far.

I shot a crow out of the air with a .22lr from about 50y or so... I shot the stalk under him and he took flight, but the second shot got him as he was building up speed. That was pretty cool for a teenager, my friends thought so anyway.

I took a 750 yard shot that ended up being a 70 yard shot on a bird in mid flight. I didn't know what happend until I saw the cloud of feathers.

Shot a stray tomcat at 275yds off-hand with a Ruger varmint 243. Centered the crosshairs high then squeezed about 8" high off the cat. A lot of luck, I'm a poor shot standing.

95 yards offhand at a 3 in circle, pasted to a license plate, with a 177 cal gamo whisper air rifle, a cheap centerpoint 4 power scope and a full value 15 mph wind. Took 2 shots to walk it on target and then drilled it 9 for 10 afterwards. Not bad for a 4.5 grain projectile, in fact way more difficult than making 800 yard shots on a 10 inch plate with my 308... those air rifle triggers break about as cleanly as a wet sponge...gotta love kentucky windage and a fuzzy scope

Not my shot, I so wish I could claim it, but, I had a hunting buddy years back named Tim. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with a scope but would make the damnedest shots with iron sights.

One day, we're walking to our hunting spot and as we're crossing a cornfield he points off in the distance to the treeline to our left and says, "See that bird?". "Nope, what bird?" He shoulders his .22 and cracks one off in less than three seconds. Then I just barely catch the silhouette of a robin fall out of the top of the tree at 300+ yards!

I actually had to go check what kind of bird it was so I knew it wasn't a vulture or something else huge.

Would have never believed it had I not seen it.

When I was 15 I took a kneeling shot at crow sitting on a telephone pole about 120 yards away. I was shooting a very old Remington single shot 22 (I believe it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot) with open sights and I center punched it. That is probably my all time best shot. I put it above hitting steel at 500 to 1000 yards with a scoped 308.

That same year my dad and I were hunting cottontails with that same 22 and another single shot open-sighted 22. We see one sitting under some sage brush at about 40 yards perfect broadside, so the old man takes aim and…pow. Nothing happens. The rabbit didn't move there was no indication that he missed so we start to walk closer. The rabbit still doesn't move and we get closer and closer. We finally walk right up on it. He had hit it right through the ear and took off the entire left side of it's head. The rabbit never twitched...didn't move a muscle. It was the craziest thing.

Finally the craziest shot I have ever seen was during dove season. My uncle used to shoot skeet and trap competitively and loaded his own shells. At one point he had a dishwasher sized cardboard box full to the brim with shells, some #8 shot, some #6, a few slugs...well he gets out to the field and sits down on his stool. This was when 15 birds was the limit in CA. He hits 13 birds in 13 shots. On number 14 he shoulders the gun gets his lead and boom...a puff of feathers. He hit that bird with a slug he inadvertently brought along. He ended the hunt with 15 birds in 15 shots in about 45 minutes of hunting. I have never seen anything like it.

I was at the rifle range a few weeks ago during the summer and a large bumble bee kept flying around me and the target stand as I was trying to tape up my targets to the cardboard backer I use. Normally I use 1.5" blue painters tape so it can be easily removed. Finally the bee landed right beside my target and I had a piece of tape torn off and ready to stick to a target. instead of putting it on the target I taped the bee to the cardboard. Then I placed another piece 180 degrees rotated to hold him in place. I then took a sharpie and put a dot on back of the tape exactly where the bee was buzzing away trying to escape.

I returned to the bench 100 yards back and using a 223 savage bolt gun I drew aim on the dot and fired one shot. I then shot the rest of the groups I was there fore before returning to the target. After unpeeling the tape I found the guts of the bumble bee stuck to the tape.