• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crime of the century at my kids school.....

Shouldnt this guys SJW card be pulled?

Isnt he assuming that its just boys that use the boys bathroom?

What if it was a girl that identified as a boy that went in and got her Nazi on?

I just spoke with another parent because Im pissed and she gave me some wishy washy "Gee, I think its wrong, but this must be so hard for them to deal with these images of hate........"

Im on the wall and everyone else is afraid of heights.......

If you have a lawyer friend you should have them draft something professional up that tells them how idiotic they are on their firms letterhead.

Make them sweat a bit. How stupid.

Seriously who cares? Just kids trolling and being kids probably a couple dicks drawn too adults need to quit acting like retards.

My friend had a good point....

Wouldnt it have made more sense to take away all the kids pencils?

Reactions: deltawiskey
My son mentioned to me yesterday that the Boys bathrooms were closed......

Dear Parents/Guardians,

I wanted to update you regarding our response to the anti-semitic graffiti found in one of the bathrooms on October 16th.

First, I decided to close all but one of the boys’ bathrooms. I understand that it is an inconvenience for many of our students, and I know that certain students might be out of their classes for a few more minutes than usual. I also recognize that this might seem like a punishment for many of our students based on the action of one student. However, I closed the bathrooms for the following reasons:

1. I do not want to subject any more students to hateful symbols and/or hate speech this week. I am not sure that closing all but one of the boys’ bathrooms will accomplish this. However, I know from working with middle school students for over twenty-five years that a large majority of hate symbols and speech are drawn in the boys’ bathrooms. Furthermore, when students encounter hateful images and speech, they conclude the Ottoson is not an emotionally safe school. When students do not feel safe, they cannot learn.
  2. I want the students to know that the Ottoson teachers and administrators are upset about this incident. As a staff, we have talked to the students about how hateful images and speech impact us, other students, parents/guardians and the Arlington community. While this message may have resonated with some of our students, it did not with all our students. Closing the bathroom is a reminder that we are upset.
  3. While the assistant principals and I were not looking forward to another full day of being a bathroom monitor, it has given us a chance to have conversations with students about the topic. A student told me yesterday that he did not appreciate having to sign in to use the bathroom. He said he wanted to find out who was responsible. Another student confessed that he would not report graffiti to adults. I was able to have a conversation with him about the impact of hateful symbols. One student reported that he thought that some students would now be more likely to draw anti-semitic symbols. He thought closing the bathrooms would not change anything.

I understand that I cannot keep the bathrooms closed forever. However, creating conversations and letting the students know that hateful graffiti is upsetting, offsets the inconvenience of having students walk down a couple flights of stairs.

Second, I am copying an activity that the Chenery Middle School in Belmont participated in as a response to a similar incident. On Monday, we will be extending ASPIRE for an extra 20 minutes. Students will be responding to three questions:

1. What impact does having a swastika drawn in school have on you?

2. What would you say to anyone that saw the swastika?

3. What message would you want to send to the student who drew the swastika?

After a class discussion, each student will select one of their answers and write it on an index card. The responses to these prompts will be collected and posted throughout the school, especially in the bathrooms in which they occurred. We want to take back the bathroom with messages of hope and support.

Regards,

STAND BY!

WTF!

I'd just relax and let them brainwash your kids into becoming reaction driven little followers. This type of shit is a thing that happens if you live in the world, which all those kids do, so it's kinda their fault really. Punishing them en masse with bathroom restrictions is actually very stunning and brave, I for one am impressed.

?

If you read his notification he mentions having conversations with the kids and their responses to this.

It actually sounds like the kids are more mature than the staff.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I would take my sons and daughters out and sue the town being that I pay tax for a fully functional school

Thing is they no longer care that we pay tax.

You will submit, you will pay, and they will continue.

I live on the back of the tax payer.

My favorite conversations with people include me saying "Sure you can! You pay for it". Or in response to "You dont have to do this...." I say "Why not? You pay me to".

I went to a meeting of the school board. It was sparsely attended. I think everyone in the room was a regular as I was asked who I was and I think only one other person was asked.

The topic of teacher training days came up and it was proposed that the teachers needed training every Tuesday and those days would become half days.

I immediately thought this is going to suck because the kids were young and we would have to figure how to watch them on half day Tuesday.

I watched a trail of crocodile tears and bad acting as the three board members and Supt spoke of "the burden on working parents" but the training was "mission critical".

The debate lasted a few minutes and when it came time to vote the "Ayes" were immediate.

They dont give a crap.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Closing the bathrooms to punish every student in the school is exactly how the gestapo would have handled it. It appears as though the student that drew the swastika was also psychic.....

Christ in a catamaran... If this shit happened at any of the schools I went to, IF you got caught you'd be cleaning it up, otherwise it was a non-sequitur and the janitor did it. ALL SORTS of shit got written on the walls, most of it race or gay jokes. NEVER was it a big deal. Even when I wrote an entire Ozark tale about writing tales on bathroom walls... On the bathroom walls! Unfortunately, my 4th grade teachers weren't big fans of dirty Ozark folk tales and, well, not many 4th graders are either so it turns out I was easy to catch.

I still remember the part in quotes: "Some come here to sit and think, others to shit and stink, but I come here to pull my pud because the tail in this town ain't no good." But it was an entire story, I totally covered the stall walls and it took me a while to do it.

Imagine if that arrived in your letter instead!

Thing is they no longer care that we pay tax.

You will submit, you will pay, and they will continue.

I live on the back of the tax payer.

My favorite conversations with people include me saying "Sure you can! You pay for it". Or in response to "You dont have to do this...." I say "Why not? You pay me to".

I went to a meeting of the school board. It was sparsely attended. I think everyone in the room was a regular as I was asked who I was and I think only one other person was asked.

The topic of teacher training days came up and it was proposed that the teachers needed training every Tuesday and those days would become half days.

I immediately thought this is going to suck because the kids were young and we would have to figure how to watch them on half day Tuesday.

I watched a trail of crocodile tears and bad acting as the three board members and Supt spoke of "the burden on working parents" but the training was "mission critical".

The debate lasted a few minutes and when it came time to vote the "Ayes" were immediate.

They dont give a crap.

I'm no longer allowed at school board meetings. They hate it when you recite facts and resort to using their own tactics against them. They can't keep me out....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I love going when they discuss math and science curricula and the need to spend more.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
Christ in a catamaran... If this shit happened at any of the schools I went to, IF you got caught you'd be cleaning it up, otherwise it was a non-sequitur and the janitor did it. ALL SORTS of shit got written on the walls, most of it race or gay jokes. NEVER was it a big deal. Even when I wrote an entire Ozark tale about writing tales on bathroom walls... On the bathroom walls! Unfortunately, my 4th grade teachers weren't big fans of dirty Ozark folk tales and, well, not many 4th graders are either so it turns out I was easy to catch.

I still remember the part in quotes: "Some come here to sit and think, others to shit and stink, but I come here to pull my pud because the tail in this town ain't no good." But it was an entire story, I totally covered the stall walls and it took me a while to do it.

But "pud" and "good" don't rhyme.

Reactions: Ravenworks
If you read his notification he mentions having conversations with the kids and their responses to this.

It actually sounds like the kids are more mature than the staff.

"A student told me yesterday that he did not appreciate having to sign in to use the bathroom. He said he wanted to find out who was responsible. Another student confessed that he would not report graffiti to adults. I was able to have a conversation with him about the impact of hateful symbols. One student reported that he thought that some students would now be more likely to draw anti-semitic symbols. He thought closing the bathrooms would not change anything."

Scary thing is though that this will be conditioning the kids to be little informers on each other and than its only a short jump to informing on family members.

"Mrs Stalin........My dad makes bullets in the basement"

Good to see one kid said the punishment means he will not tell the teachers about this shit knowing they will over react.

Prefer he just does what any sane person would do - erase it and forget about it or write an Ozark Poem over it.

Reactions: samadisoulcrusher

that is too
damn
funny.

here i sit asshole flexin
just gave birth to anouther texan.

i dont know what the hell we had against texans, lol, but we sure as hell wrote in on the bathroom walls

"Here I sit all broken-hearted, paid a dime but only farted.
Next time I'll take a chance, maybe save a dime and shit my pants."

The world we live in, give people who deserve no attention lots of it by blowing their insignificant deeds out of proportion while punishing those who did no wrong.

Maybe wise parents will say imagine doing this in your adult life, because this is what happens when you vote democrat.

So what about the billions of followers of eastern religions who still use it in both orientations and have it all over their buildings, statues, books etc?

Or is it only racist if you are a pale face?
If you look at Ukraine war footage you will see swastikas on walls and things around, to eastern Europe its just a cross.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
It will be interesting if the Buddihst kid in the school answers it is a religious symbol and has good meanings, ditto the Native American Indian or the Hindu Indian or any number of other cultures that spontaneously developed the symbol.

For western culture though I have no argument against the fact that since its inception by the Nazi's it has become a symbol of only one thing homicidal government.

Funny we allow other cultures to express and enjoy whatever outrage they choose even if it goes against traditional American culture but not this one.

You will conform to the present agenda regards symbols and language especially since we are using them as a cudgel against the current occupant of the White House.

When that other parent I spoke with expressed concern about the "rise" of anti semitic incidents.

I wanted to ask if she. like the main stream media, attributes this to Trump.

If they do how do they account for the fact his daughter and son in law are orthodox jews.

I am a Trump supporter. Was I antisemitic the number of times Ive stood armed at the Synagogue to give worshippers a sense of safety while they worship? Pretty ironic if so.

But "pud" and "good" don't rhyme.

Yeah, well, tell the author of "Pissing in the Snow" that! Seriously, read that book if you haven't, it's the heart and soul of Americana.

I used to struggle with that when I was 9 and decorating Monrovia Elementary's bathroom walls myself...

Who would have thought making a big deal of something would begat more of that something.

They are committed to having their moment on this.

Dear Parents/Guardians,

For the past two weeks at the Ottoson Middle School, the assistant principals, the staff, and I have been putting our energy into responding to incidents of hate speech and symbols. As we have responded, we have tried to reflect on what has been successful and where improvements are needed. We are committed to providing a safe environment for all our students and we will keep working until that is realized.

Unfortunately, during the last two days there has been more graffiti found in the bathrooms. Another one inch by one inch swastika was found in the gender neutral bathroom and someone wrote “n-word” in a boys’ bathroom (the graffiti was literally “n-word” and not the full slur). After both incidents Dr. Kathleen Bodie, Resource Officer Bryan White, the Arlington Human Rights Commission and Diversity and Inclusion Groups were all alerted.

What has become increasingly apparent to me is that we need to give our students greater ownership in how we respond to these incidents. In middle school, many children start caring more about their peers’ opinions and less about the opinions of adults. So far, our responses have been primarily adult driven. This week when students were given the opportunity to express their opinions on hate speech/symbols, the staff commented on how impressed they were with their thoughtful, kind, and compassionate answers. My goal is to have our students take a greater role in messaging and modeling anti-hate speech and graffiti. Early next week, I will be sending out information on a Peer Leader program that school counselors Bryan Christie and Mandi Bistran will be running this year.

I also believe that we will have more incidents over the next few weeks. Often student(s) who engage in this type of vandalism enjoy the attention and we have given this student(s) a lot of attention. Also, students are exposed to more opinions about politics, religion and social issues than ever before on the Internet. According to author Joanna Schroder, the Internet has desensitized many images of hate and it is not uncommon to see images of hate online. While the Internet has been an outlet for hate, I want to acknowledge that it also has encouraged students to become more passionate about certain causes. For example, on the day of the Global Climate Strike, 102 students were absent from the Ottoson. The day before the strike, there were 21 students who were absent. Whether you agree with students missing school, it shows a level of commitment by many of our students to go to a rally during school hours. I hope to tap into similar passion that many of our students have expressed about hateful speech and symbols.

Hate speech and symbols will not be tolerated at the Ottson and I want to assure the Ottoson community that we are working towards that goal. I will keep you updated on further incidents as well as the steps we are taking to address the recent incidents. We encourage you to discuss these incidents with your students.

Regards,

We got a message from my kids teacher yesterday concerning a "racist comment".

Apparently he did not want to work with a classmate and his comment to her was along the lines of "I dont want to work with you.......and its not because you are Indian"

Im guessing he and all the other kids are so sensitive to this now that he feels he has to clarify his action by stating its not racial - he just doesnt get along with the girl.....yet in the current atmosphere even claiming you are not being racist...is racist.

Looks like they are going to use this to motivate kids toward social causes and they are making us aware they will dismiss absences if attending a social justice event.

I wonder if they will let my kid promote the Nov 2 Pro 2A rally in DC and support a school walkout?

They should invite in that Democrat Congresswoman who has a Nazi tattoo on her bikini line to speak to the kids about the issue.

Reactions: pmclaine
I was always told that when you find yourself in the bottom of a hole

- the first thing you should do is

- stop digging.

Evidently this highly educated administrator has not learned this lesson.

Reactions: Centuriator
There go our tax dollars again if this is true.

I can see the SJWs out in force claiming hatred. The buildings will need to be torn down ASAP
Bougainville Rd.... ah hahaha. This again.

The 600k they spent on making it look better in 2008 did... squat

55E1371D-F50C-449B-B614-772EA1E883F9.jpeg

Sirhr

Bougainville Rd.... ah hahaha. This again.

The 600k they spent on making it look better in 2008 did... squat

View attachment 7171123

Sirhr

Maybe its just the photo but my OCD is being triggered by the furthest right building.

Seems to me the guy that laid out that building didnt have access to a trued 90 degree square and that leg is off a degree or two.

If a kid in a school drew swastikas I'd be all over the idiot parents, but would not make a federal case of it. It's always all about the parents with young children.

Stupid is, as stupid does.

I should just let this go but I cant.....

Dear Parents/Guardians,

For the past few weeks, the Ottoson Middle School has been reacting to hate symbols and graffiti in the boys’ bathrooms. One of the hate symbols that has appeared multiple times has been the Nazi swastika. As a result of this, staff and students have had conversations about this symbol. Teachers report that students have a wide range of understanding of what this symbol represents. While some of our students know a great deal about Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, others do not. At the bare minimum, our message to the students has been that this symbol represents hate and should not appear anywhere.

At the end of each quarter, the Art Department puts on an exhibition of student artwork for the community. This quarter it is being held on Tuesday, November 5th, from 5 PM to 730 PM. Pieces of student work along with statements from the artists will be on display outside the art rooms. Because the art curriculum emphasizes student voice through artwork, the eighth graders’ assignment was to create a piece of art that relays a message about a topic that is important to them.

One of our students choose to create a piece of art with a message about anti-semitism, that included a drawing of the Star of David and a swastika. He wrote the following -

The topic I chose was kinda like World War 2 where it was the Nazi vs the Jews. The specific message that I’m trying to spell out is the places that they invaded and the places that they are invading. I chose this topic because I am Jewish and when I saw that there was someone who tried to burn down a rabbi’s house in my own town, I felt scared that Jews lives are still in danger. I showed my message in my artwork by drawing the Star of David on one side and the swastika on the other and a brick wall in the middle. Then I wanted to show that the Nazis invade us so on the Star of David side which is all blue I did red locations that the Nazis have invaded such as Poland and Germany. I used colored pencils and rulers. I first started by drawing the brick wall and then I drew the Jewish star and colored that entire side blue. Then I drew a swastika on the other side and colored it and then put points on the blue side. I didn't run into any challenges, it was very straight forward. I feel successful because I finished quickly and it looks good.

The art teachers and I then had a discussion of whether to display the art. One perspective was that we should not display the artwork. The symbol is upsetting to many of our staff members and students. Also, we were worried that some of our students might be confused about mixed messages that the adults were giving them about seeing a swastika. The other perspective was that it allowed student voice, and it gave us the opportunity to continue conversations about hate speech and symbols.

After the art teachers and I talked, we sought feedback from staff members. A majority of the adults we talked to thought we should display it. Next, we decided to talk to the student about his artwork. The student explained that he would like the artwork displayed and gave us reasons why. Our next call was to his parents. They wanted to talk to him about his artwork. The next day they called, and we came up with a plan. I said I would send out a message to parents explaining that we were going to display the artwork after careful consideration. Also, we are going to have each ASPIRE teacher read the student’s statement to their classes on Monday. One of my worries is that students would see the artwork, but not take time to read the artist’s statement.

My hope is that as a school we can have conversations about issues of race, religion, and sexual preference and/or identification in our classrooms. I hope that these conversations are happening at home. I would rather have students learning about certain issues at home or at school with adults, instead of in parking lots or at a playground.

Thanks,

Brian

My response....I felt the need to throw his diversity back upon him....

In western culture the Swastika, since its corruption by the Nazis, is as you note a symbol forever connected to hate and evil.

.........but before you go off condemning all representations of it be aware that some cultures still use it in their worship.....

https://www.thebuddhagarden.com/swastikas-buddhist-art.html

Native American Indians also use the symbol as a representation of the sun and life.

There are other times the symbol has been used that predate the Nazi's - a church in Cambridge built early 20th Century for instance had the symbol on its frieze up until the 2000's when they were removed. US Army 45th Division prior to WWII used the symbol as it was comprised of soldiers from the SouthWest and the symbol was part of the local Native American culture. The Basques use a version to represent their culture.

Hitler stole the symbol from a newspaper that very few people had read.

Its a symbol that somehow developed in widely separated cultures organically. It was a universal symbol of sorts.

Agreed for the west it is a symbol that has been stolen by Evil but dont be surprised if some students say it is a symbol for good. I get it there is a difference perhaps clockwise vs anti clockwise but these kids just dont notice that.

Just something to consider. Its not always as simple as it seems.

The swastika or sauwastika (as a character, 卐 or 卍, respectively) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions.[1][2][3][4]
In Asia, the swastika symbol first appears in the archaeological record around[55] 3000 BCE in the Indus Valley Civilization.[68][69] It also appears in the Bronze and Iron Age cultures around the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. In all these cultures the swastika symbol does not appear to occupy any marked position or significance, but appears as just one form of a series of similar symbols of varying complexity. In the Zoroastrian religion of Persia, the swastika was a symbol of the revolving sun, infinity, or continuing creation.[70][71] It is one of the most common symbols on Mesopotamian coins.[8]
The icon has been of spiritual significance to Indian religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.[4][8] The swastika is a sacred symbol in the Bön religion, native to Tibet.
The swastika is an important Hindu symbol.[4][8] The swastika symbol is commonly used before entrances or on doorways of homes or temples, to mark the starting page of financial statements, and mandalas constructed for rituals such as weddings or welcoming a newborn.[8][72]
The swastika has a particular association with Diwali, being drawn in rangoli (coloured sand) or formed with deepak lights on the floor outside Hindu houses and on wall hangings and other decorations.[73]
In the diverse traditions within Hinduism, both the clockwise and counterclockwise swastika are found, with different meanings. The clockwise or right hand icon is called swastika, while the counterclockwise or left hand icon is called sauvastika.[8] The clockwise swastika is a solar symbol (Surya), suggesting the motion of the sun in India (the northern hemisphere), where it appears to enter from the east, then ascend to the south at midday, exiting to the west.[8] The counterclockwise sauvastika is less used; it connotes the night, and in tantric traditions it is an icon for the goddess Kali, the terrifying form of Devi Durga.[8] The symbol also represents activity, karma, motion, wheel, and in some contexts the lotus.[1][2] Its symbolism for motion and Sun may be from shared prehistoric cultural roots, according to Norman McClelland.[74] The Arya Samaj is of the opinion that swastik is 'OM' written in the ancient Brahmi script.[citation needed]

All true. Even so, almost all those guys you mentioned are Indo European speaking members of the Iranian branch of Satem languages. Bactrians, Sogdians, Saka, Persians, Sintachta culture Indo Aryans, (centum speaking) Tocharians, etc. If you look at the Tarim mummies and the paintings of inhabitants of those areas up until the Turkic expansion, they were mostly as green eyed and blonde or red haired as any European. And that's scientifically and archaeologically proven. We aren't talking unsubstantiated "Getica" rumors by Jordanes. Even the name "Iran" itself means "land of the Aryans" So there is a definite cultural cross-connection to that symbol from the distant past. But since hitler permanently sullied the term "aryan" that old history is hardly ever taught anymore, and in Western culture the swastica became a symbol of the nazis regardless of whatever it was before.

so yeah, I'd like to think some Central Asian kid is just interested in his ancient national history, but most likely a swastica in the boys locker room is a hitler thing. Certainly not pissing pants worthy, but not really desirable either. Although as a pragmatist, I'd be more concerned for my kid's well being if I saw a high school version of this on the locker room wall:

1572667970705.png

All true. Even so, almost all those guys you mentioned are Indo European speaking members of the Iranian branch of Satem languages. Bactrians, Sogdians, Saka, Persians, Sintachta culture Indo Aryans, (centum speaking) Tocharians, etc. If you look at the Tarim mummies and the paintings of inhabitants of those areas up until the Turkic expansion, they were mostly as green eyed and blonde or red haired as any European. And that's scientifically and archaeologically proven. We aren't talking unsubstantiated "Getica" rumors by Jordanes. Even the name "Iran" itself means "land of the Aryans" So there is a definite cultural cross-connection to that symbol from the distant past. But since hitler permanently sullied the term "aryan" that old history is hardly ever taught anymore, and in Western culture the swastica became a symbol of the nazis regardless of whatever it was before.

so yeah, I'd like to think some Central Asian kid is just interested in his ancient national history, but most likely a swastica in the boys locker room is a hitler thing. Certainly not pissing pants worthy, but not really desirable either. Although as a pragmatist, I'd be more concerned for my kid's well being if I saw a high school version of this on the locker room wall:

View attachment 7175383

Agreed.

The swastika in the west has only one association. A great design probably only matched by the smiley for its universal recognition and use forever stolen by evil.

I mentioned its other uses in my response hoping to tie him up in knots trying to figure if there are any buddhists kids in school that he will offend.

• Haha
Reactions: Darayavaus
The swastika has several meanings but since the 30's in the western world it only represents an evil empire that tried to exterminate an entire race and forcefully take over Europe and more of the world. Most importantly, many Americans died fighting that symbol. Those lessons should be taught in schools.

That said, I can't see why it isn't painfully obvious to any teachers that they have completely over-reacted and look pathetic. Calling kids in for handwriting samples is exactly how the Nazis would have handled a scribbling of a star of David. A 1" symbol by one student should just be wiped off, no different than dirty sketches and poems, then maybe give it a mention at PTA, unless it gets out of hand.

I was one of those quiet kids who stayed away from trouble, yet even I had enough of a mischievous streak that a reaction like theirs would have resulted in me drawing whatever caused their reaction everywhere I could for weeks.

It's a snowflake backlash. If the kid had drawn an ISIS flag they would have said "tsk, tsk" and wiped it off.

Last edited:
well guys, if you thought that was an overreaction, get a load of this woke soyboy faggotry:

I mean, WTH. its a friggin space rock. there are no nazis on it. get over yourselves, you fragile leftist pansies.

well guys, if you thought that was an overreaction, get a load of this woke soyboy faggotry:

I mean, WTH. its a friggin space rock. there are no nazis on it. get over yourselves, you fragile leftist pansies.

Looks like a certain bike rack/car top manufacturer will have to change their name........

Reactions: Darayavaus
In 1989 I was in eighth grade hurricane Hugo was heading towards the east coast so in school we were learning about mapping and coordinates. Every day we were plotting the hurricane's current position on a big map on the wall with the updated coordinates. I was drawing a swastika as a symbol for the hurricane's position on the map to me it just looked like a hurricane symbol I wasn't thinking about what it was. I remember the teacher saying class I want to talk about for a moment the symbol Paul is using to represent hurricane Hugo on the map. "Does anyone know what it is from?" She turned it into a teaching moment about WW2 and the Nazis. There was no big uproar no big deal made about it and she continued to let me use it to represent the hurricane on the map. Those were the days when common sense won out and every mole hill wasn't turned into a mountain.

Oh no say it aint so!

Now from my daughters school principal, she and her brother are in different schools.......

Dear Gibbs Community,

Unfortunately I need to share with you that a small swastika drawn in pencil and about the size of a quarter was found on a lab table in one of our classrooms.

I am feeling and thinking many things about this discovery not the least of which is all of the work we are doing at our school to help children be Understanding, Unified and Unstoppable. When things like this happen with our young people, there are so many lenses through which we need to look. Here are some things you should know.

Recently in ELA, many of our students read a story called “Suzy and Leah” by Jane Yolen. It consists of diary entries that require background information about the Holocaust. This is something students in the classroom referenced when I talked to them about the discovery.

I spoke with the class where the swastika was found. We talked about our core values of being Understanding, Unified and Unstoppable and how it makes us feel when someone does something that seems extremely hurtful. We also talked about the fact that we don’t always know why people act the way they do and that it is very possible that the person who drew the swastika did not understand the impact it would have on those who saw it. There were a few questions and the conversation was not long. I assured the students that I would be investigating and I would visit their class again.

We always reach out to our resources in town when something of this nature happens. My first call was to Dr. Kathleen Bodie. She and I consulted about the discovery. I then spoke with Officer Bryan White, our school resource officer. He and I will meet and collaborate tomorrow morning and he will document the incident. I also reached out to the Commission for Human Rights and informed them of the incident.

Our classrooms are used beyond the school day. After school programs are housed there and despite seating charts and interviewing students that use this classroom space during the school day, it seems that it will be unlikely we will find the student who drew the swastika. As a result, it is important that I address the entire community. My current plan is to work with school counselors and decide if we will have an all school meeting or individual learning community meetings to address the incident. Further, we will use our Advisory block to support our meetings with students by having a follow up discussion and or lesson.

Please know I will continue to update you about where we are in the process. You will know when our assemblies occur so that you can have a follow up conversation with your sixth grader. Gibbs is committed to being a place where students feel seen, heard and cared for and a place where hate is not tolerated.

Thank you,

A black kid raping/beating/murdering a white kid would not result in such a heavy handed response.

In fact, one does not even have to speculate. Plenty of empirical evidence year after year, decade after decade.

Anyone ever wonder why that is?

Anybody here ever wonder why the Germans would make gas chambers with wooden doors? Seems like an unusual decision for such a technologically advanced people. Must be a coincidence.

A generation of pussies..........

Dear Parents/Guardians,

It has come to my attention that there have been social media posts that described two incidents involving Ottoson Middle School students. One involved a fight after snowballs were thrown, and another involving a smaller number of students. Please be assured that both situations were addressed. All the parents of the students involved have either been called or met with me in person. If you have any concerns or worries about your child’s safety, please call me. I want to continue to assure you that bullying and/or fighting will not be tolerated at the Ottoson.

Regards,

geez, thats for sure! We crushed the Nazis and I'll never defend them, but holy smokes these are kids. Just erase the swastikas. Learn to throw snowballs back.

They're just going to wind up with sensitive pussies that can't handle life.

I think it started with soccer - when my kids played, some genius league coordinators decided there would be no keeping score because that meant one team would lose. It was hilarious - kids were saying "we didn't score five goals - you didn't score three goals, so we won! " And the losers knew that very well. Trying to deny or cover for a loser only makes them feel worse.

Last edited:
@pmclaine You have some kind of patience or strength that I don't believe I have. Have you not considered moving?