• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion Barrel & Remage Barrel Nut Setup in 6.5 Creedmoor - Worked great for me!

Southpaw357

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Whats up fellas, I wanted to share my experience on a build I completed. I was intrigued by the time and money I could save in the long term by utilizing Criterion pre-fit Barrels on a ground up Remington 700 platform build, but mostly because I like assembling things myself. However I'm the furthest thing from a gunsmith so I have limitations. Criterion makes pre-fit barrels for Savage and Remington actions. They come already chambered and ready to screw into a receiver. They are very cost effective barrels. They are button rifled and hand lapped. Criterion is a division of Krieger. You can order these barrels from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply who has a bunch in stock, or you can custom order one from him to your specs and wait a few months to get it. I chose one in stock because it matched what I wanted.

Basically you secure the barrel to the action with a barrel nut using a torque wrench and headspace it with go/no-go gauges (just like a savage). Some people will think its blasphemy to set up a Remington 700 pattern barreled action like a Savage, but what the hell.

I started with a Stiller Tac-30 A/W Left Handed action. Then I attached a 6.5 Creedmoor 26" Criterion 1-8 twist varmint contour barrel. I headspaced it with go/no-go gauges I got from the creedmoor sports website (made by PT&G I believe). Once it was installed and dropped into my stock, I made sure it was level and I marked the muzzle end of the barrel at the 12 o'clock position with masking tape and a sharpie (I eyeballed it), then took the barrel back off. I sent the barrel to Ross Shuler to have him fit one of his muzzle brakes to it. Ross sent it back very quickly; his work is awesome. I once again torqued the barrel to the action then dropped it and the picatinny rail off to a local smith here who does a ton of Cerakote work (A-Coating) to get it coated black. Once I got it back, I installed a Timney Straight Trigger with safety, dropped her into an AICS chassis and presto-bango.

There is definitely an up front investment in equipment to be able to do this yourself. Jim Briggs can sell you almost everything you need (barrel, barrel nut, nut wrench, and action wrench). You will also need headspace gauges for your caliber, a secure table vise and a torque wrench that works in foot pounds. But you can definitely realize savings in the long term if you shoot a lot and go through barrels. Because barrel swaps become extremely easy when removing and replacing one criterion pre-fit with another. Plus there is value in the satisfaction in assembling something yourself, at least for me there was.

Oh yeah, does it shoot? I would say so. With Hornady 140 Grain factory ammo, I routinely get groups under 1/2 inch up to 3/4 inch in prone on a sandbag and the bipod. And I don't pretend to be the best triggerman ever born either. I would bet a box of ammo that the rifle is more accurate than I am. One day I'll clamp it in real right and see how tight I can get the factory rounds to group, and also if I can find the time I will work up some hand loads. A couple links and pictures below. Thanks for reading! Southpaw357

here is information about Criterion Barrels: http://criterionbarrels.com/prefits/savage
Here is information about available countours: http://www.criterionbarrels.com/savagecontours.pdf
Here is a youtube video that shows exactly how I mounted the barrel. This is worth 1,000 words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

And what thread is complete without pictures

You bet! My stiller Tac 30 A/Wis a Remington 700 clone. But you have to make sure you that when you order the barrel you let him know that its for a Remington 700 blueprint (aka Clone) and not a savage blue print. Savage pre-fits and Remington pre-fits are different and therefore not interchangeable.

Looks like a virtual clone of the Savage I built in 260 last year in a AICS. It was accurate, but I got tired of the other issues that come with a Savage.

Edit - Just realized that it is a Remage instead of a Savage. Much more likely to be a keeper. Glad it shoots for you.

I cant speak to the savage because ive never owned one. But i like the 700 platform for versatility and i like the features on the stiller actions. What issues did you have with your savage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant speak to the savage because ive never owned one. But i like the 700 platform for versatility and i like the features on the stiller actions. What issues did you have with your savage?

Feeding and cycling issues as well as a crap trigger design. Took a financial ass whipping to sell it (another problem with Savages) and finally pulled the trigger on a real AI. Best move I ever made. Nothing, repeat, NOTHING else even comes close. Best move I ever made.

Did you use Jim's recoil lug that requires the action be notched, or a different type of lug?

The stiller tac 30 a/w comes with a recoil lug with a hole in it and the receiver has a pin in it at the 6 o'clock position, making it really easy to mate them perfectly.

Did the same thing with my bighorn that's threaded to take savage prefits. Sonofabitch hammers man. Screwed it all together, bolted it into a mini chassis and went shooting.

Very cool, been thinking of doing the same for a while now. Still torn on 260 vs 6.5cm though. :)

Thanks for the pics and post

Very cool, been thinking of doing the same for a while now. Still torn on 260 vs 6.5cm though. :)

Thanks for the pics and post

I chose the CM because of factory ammo availability and i like the cartridge design. But ill bet you would be happy with either!

Very nice indeed! Good looking rifle. Be curious to see how it shoots with handloads

I hope to work some up and when i do ill post results. Im the meanwhile i picked up 5 boxes of winchester 140gr match rounds with sierra matchking bthp's to see how those will do.

I'm curious if anyone knows the depth of the bolt nose recess is used as a one size fits all on these Rem prefits? Anyone measured theirs by chance?

I did not know Winchester was loading 6.5 Creedmoor... Cool!

And OP your rifle is giving me all sorts of ideas. Must resist...

I built a remage 2 yrs ago using a aac-sd action that was trued up, except receiver threads. It is a 243 8 twist in an aics with viperskins. It hammers and was second or third in the first 100 yd group contest. It's got 2200 rds on the barrel now and has dropped from 3100 to 3010 fps. It still can shoot in the .3s and managed to put 4 out of 5 in a snuff can sized group at 1k yesterday, 5th shot opened it up to 6.5" though . Op very nice stick and cool project, hindsight20/20, i wish i would have based mine on a stiller or pierce action instead.

Generally, I am not a fan of the nut system but this looks like a nice clean system. Great write up. Nicely done. May have to consider one in the near future.

Regards, Paul

I'm curious if anyone knows the depth of the bolt nose recess is used as a one size fits all on these Rem prefits? Anyone measured theirs by chance?

MDM i would like to help but I'm not sure how to answer your question. I know the folks at Criterion can answer technical questions, such as reamer specs, etc.

I built a remage 2 yrs ago using a aac-sd action that was trued up, except receiver threads. It is a 243 8 twist in an aics with viperskins. It hammers and was second or third in the first 100 yd group contest. It's got 2200 rds on the barrel now and has dropped from 3100 to 3010 fps. It still can shoot in the .3s and managed to put 4 out of 5 in a snuff can sized group at 1k yesterday, 5th shot opened it up to 6.5" though . Op very nice stick and cool project, hindsight20/20, i wish i would have based mine on a stiller or pierce action instead.

Great story thanks for sharing!

What optics are u running? Ur rifle is a clean, easy build, that shoots pretty darn good. Congrats to u on a fine homebuilt that will run with the customs.

What optics are u running? Ur rifle is a clean, easy build, that shoots pretty darn good. Congrats to u on a fine homebuilt that will run with the customs.

Thank you! I shot the group with my nightforce 3.5-15x50 but this baby just got her new US Optics 3.2-17x44 scope mounted which is getting zero'd tomorrow morning at the range :)

I almost did this with my Defiance Deviant build. I ended up going with a Bartlein barrel but when its gone I believe this will be an option. I already have a Remmy squared up thats set up as a Remage. Best of both worlds.

I didnt know criterion barrels were a division of Krieger and I didn't know they were hand lapped. are they stress relieved?

I didnt know criterion barrels were a division of Krieger and I didn't know they were hand lapped. are they stress relieved?

Heat treated and double stress relieved. I said they are hand lapped, but their website just says lapped. So maybe they're machine lapped as opposed to hand lapped. Either way a fine barrel for the money. I also saw on the site they grew from a krieger division into a stand alone entity and have made substantial facility upgrades. More info here.

http://criterionbarrels.com/company/manufacturing

And

http://criterionbarrels.com

Very nice! I like my Savage but have to admit Remington's feel nicer. Also glad to see someone's else that can't get pictures straight! Stoopid fotobucket!

Very nice! I like my Savage but have to admit Remington's feel nicer. Also glad to see someone's else that can't get pictures straight! Stoopid fotobucket!

No doubt! Pictures looked correct on my desktop computer but on my tapatalk phone app their upside down!

What do you dislike about them?

Just a personal thing, as I just don't like the nut on the front of the action. As stated, this looks very clean and may change my thinking. I have no doubt that they function just fine and I have seen many tac drivers set up this way.

Regards, Paul

Chrono Results & 5 Shot Group from Winchester Match 140gr BTHP

Here's an update folks.

I went to the range today to run two factory loads through the chrono and to zero my scope for the Hornady Ammo. Here are my results. Interesting to note that I did not have to adjust my zero when switching from the Hornady ammo to the winchester ammo. After I was done with this, I punished the steel gongs from 500 yards :)

Hornady 140gr A-Max - 10 Shot String
2,857 FPS - Average Velocity
70.0 - Extreme Spread
20.7 - Standard Deviation

Winchester Match 140gr Sierra BTHP - 10 Shot String
2,789 FPS - Average Velocity
38.0 - Extreme Spread
11.7 - Standard Deviation

And here is the 5 shot group I got with the Winchester. Hot Damn.

Total cost? I am a year or more out doing this but this looks fantastic!! I am going to play .308 for a while before I do 6.5 CM. That is just way cool!!!!

Total cost? I am a year or more out doing this but this looks fantastic!! I am going to play .308 for a while before I do 6.5 CM. That is just way cool!!!!

Thanks! I dont have exact numbers but i roughed it out on paper and i think im into this rifle around 3k excluding the cost of tools i needed to assemble it.

Very nice - been debating doing this for the last year.
Is that Jim's barrel nut? Looks like you did not need to open up the stock to fit the barrel nut?

Also, nice shooting!

Very nice - been debating doing this for the last year.
Is that Jim's barrel nut? Looks like you did not need to open up the stock to fit the barrel nut?

Also, nice shooting!

Thank you! Yes, Jims barrel nut. And you are correct, No stock modifications were required for any reason.

I guess some of the smarter Remington guys are coming around to see the advantage of the barrel nut.
While I realize the need for rifle smiths, waiting over a year for a smith to build a rifle is beyond me.
Great job and It's good to see another fine looking lefty rifle SP357. Good Luck with it.

Heat treated and double stress relieved. I said they are hand lapped, but their website just says lapped. So maybe they're machine lapped as opposed to hand lapped. Either way a fine barrel for the money. I also saw on the site they grew from a krieger division into a stand alone entity and have made substantial facility upgrades. More info here.

Manufacturing

And

Criterion Barrels

You are correct in asserting that our barrels are hand-lapped, and we have been continuously upgrading our building and machinery since we moved into the new facility a few years back. If you have any questions regarding our barrels and company, feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected].

I love my .308 Criterion Re-mage! Had it cut down to 24" and threaded. Seemed like it needed no break-in at all. Grabbed some 175 7.62 NATO stamped FGMM just for a quick test. I would highly recommend these. Thanks to Jim at Northland Shooter Supply for being extremely easy to work with and extremely quick shipping.

Re-mage tripod.jpg10 shot.JPG

Barrel absolutely loves hornady 178 BTHP my go to long range load:

Hornady 178 BTHP
Federal Brass trimmed to 2.010
IMR 4064- 42.8gr
COAL- 2.815
FGMM primers
MV-2704

Remington 700
Re-mage Criterion 1in bull @ 24"
Griffin Muzzle Brake
Manners T4A