• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Current state of MOA and MIL

none of those are the original

USO has long since changed hands and changed options but they do state IPHY vs MOA

It's been ages, John died many years ago, over 15 years at least

The ones that are successful. Let’s be honest, most of the guys you see at a range are fudds. They don’t have a clue but bought a long gun because it’s the latest cool thing. Reality is this mils are the future. I get not wanting to change because you are invested in MOA but that’s also a lame excuse to not adapt to the changes. If you used mils for say a year and nothing else, I promise you will never buy MOA again. In fact you’d be sending your scopes in for new reticles if you could.

Also pretty sure @Diver160651 lives in Cali not illinois

I have no doubt that mil is the only way to go in prs. I also agree with the part of the fudds at the range and that goes with some of the discussion in this thread. You would have to go back and read the comment he made to understand why I tagged him.

none of those are the original

USO has long since changed hands and changed options but they do state IPHY vs MOA

It's been ages, John died many years ago, over 15 years at least
The first type one I seen was in 2003 an it was in fact IPHY knobs an ret, many guys here in Bama had them an they were all the same. Was it not the guy that now owns PRS who designed the MDMOA? Shot with him years ago at HR but forget his name, sorry

we might have done IPHY but for some reason I thought it was MOA

I honestly don't recall as I moved on from it quickly but I recall designing it during Shot Show in Orlando.

My USO years ended quickly and I moved beyond them without looking back much

Speaking of that, we are putting on a 1 day field style Team UKD match in November. You can fly out and camp on site or get a hotel 15 minutes away with minimal time off work and low entry fee. It is sure to be ultra low key and very small. Come out and shoot, I'd try though to bring the same unit of measure as your buddy.

Gauging interest in a 1 day 2 person Team Match - Field Style
Looking to gauge interest and to get feedback on a 1 day Team Field Style Match in Central California, just off Highway, in Avenal CA. Currently we have a date set for a 2 person Team match similar to what Carl Taylor is doing up in Washington with the SH Cup. But a MUCH lower key 1 day match...
forum.snipershide.com

Funny thing is, we can fill our PRS matches up, but this one seems to get less interest.

That's because to be successful at a team match, it takes team work. Many people are not good at team work, and/or too lazy to learn how to range targets. They want ranges handed to them on a silver plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd
we might have done IPHY but for some reason I thought it was MOA

I honestly don't recall as I moved on from it quickly but I recall designing it during Shot Show in Orlando.

My USO years ended quickly and I moved beyond them without looking back much
I don’t want to make any assumptions .... but that would mean YOU were one of the first to bastardize MOA then right ??

It amazes me this post was started by an epic troll and fed by @NVScout and @Bradu. Since then scout has made a 180 and made a very rational argument about his investment. Bradu on the other hand seems to be arguing people are insulting carbureted cars in the age of fuel injection so he is on here on here feeding the trolls in an attempt to counter the insult.

I believe this post was started to discuss which is better for competition and long range shooting. I replied MiL/MIl because that everyone uses and new shooters will get better wind elevation calls. Lowlight makes a very good point it uses base ten which is what we teach in school math now from kindergarten up so it only makes sense to progress to mil scopes. I don’t know how the topics of the number of gun owners or hunting rifles came in to play here but even on a hunting rifle if your going to dial or use your recticle for holds mil makes for sense. I have to admit at least 50% of my hunting rifles are moa. I started shooting PRS with a MOA Nightforce NXS it was an eye opener. I understand the cost of switching I have been slowly switched from mil to moa on my 5 comp rifles. I think this answers the OP question although he didn’t specify what type of shooting he would be doing but I would assume with that setup long range or entry level PRS.

i must have deleted the account as I don't see the name
The Kguns11 account? Yea his ass when down the road after he was banned but started posting under an account his wife made. His posting style an syntax gave him away but many did not believe me until jhuskey did face time with him an he admitted it then. Remember he was the one who posted the uniform an implied it was his. The scope test (his design) was when I met jhuskey as I had enough of kguns mouth from afar, an showed up that day,... He was totally different, when eye balls met,...

I believe this post was started to discuss which is better for competition and long range shooting. I replied MiL/MIl because that everyone uses and new shooters will get better wind elevation calls. Lowlight makes a very good point it uses base ten which is what we teach in school math now from kindergarten up so it only makes sense to progress to mil scopes. I don’t know how the topics of the number of gun owners or hunting rifles came in to play here but even on a hunting rifle if your going to dial or use your recticle for holds mil makes for sense. I have to admit at least 50% of my hunting rifles are moa. I started shooting PRS with a MOA Nightforce NXS it was an eye opener. I understand the cost of switching I have been slowly switched from mil to moa on my 5 comp rifles. I think this answers the OP question although he didn’t specify what type of shooting he would be doing but I would assume with that setup long range or entry level PRS.
You could go read his other troll posts but don't waste your time, this post was a troll, he knows it was a troll post, no one can ask this question in the way he asked it and not know it was a troll post.

Reactions: plong
Yeah I guess he really hasn’t even followed the post
Trust me he is tracking it, he waits until this little dumpster fire burns out, and then will trickle into his next troll. Here I will write it for him..... "I got my RPR, and my XYZ scope in UOF, I now need to decide on a bipod, should I get a harris, atlas, or eliteiron?"

I’ll just answer the next questions for him Atlas bipod, change to a magpul PRS stock, get a timney trigger and you should have bought the 6 creedmoor there cheaper anyway and shoot better.

• Haha
Interesting to see that the head troll here has let this thread last for so long...maybe training business is down so he needs to use it to sell his "new" training methods. It's just another method designed to allow stupider persons to understand. And all it does is train persons to be lazy and reliant on equipment rather than have a brain. But if it makes the wallet fat then go for it. It just sucks to wake up one day and realize that only stupid people are your friends and listening to you...bwahahahah...there. that's my 4th of July Independent stirrup.

• Wow
Apologies for my absence. I FUBAR'd my Gentoo Linux installation, and have been spending all this time getting it back up.

What caliber is your RPR I started out with one in 6 Creedmoor
I got 6.5 Creedmoor, on recommendation from another thread, and because the ammo is cheaper (I'm seeing $.60 per round on some sites vs. $1.20)

so look at it this way if I offered to switch all your scopes out would you ?

The USO was MOA\MOA Dr John was anal about that stuff
Hey! My neighbor's wife was in the USO. She was a a singer during the Vietnam war. Why did they have a reticle preference? (I keed!)

Yeah I guess he really hasn’t even followed the post
Like I said, I totally messed up my Gentoo partition (13.0 to 17.1 profile upgrade was a b*tch.)
Trust me he is tracking it, he waits until this little dumpster fire burns out, and then will trickle into his next troll. Here I will write it for him..... "I got my RPR, and my XYZ scope in UOF, I now need to decide on a bipod, should I get a harris, atlas, or eliteiron?"
In another thread, I already got that information. Since you have such a small memory, I'll refresh it:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/accessories-make-the-outfit.6941563/#post-7715080

Here is the rifle I just took possession of:

Now, get off my back and go back to one-handing yourself.

I'm a newbie who is trying to collect the most up-to-date information to make informed purchases. You keep calling me a troll, but nicer people than you are actually being helpful.

Be less noise, and more signal.

Apologies for my absence. I FUBAR'd my Gentoo Linux installation, and have been spending all this time getting it back up.

I got 6.5 Creedmoor, on recommendation from another thread, and because the ammo is cheaper (I'm seeing $.60 per round on some sites vs. $1.20)

Hey! My neighbor's wife was in the USO. She was a a singer during the Vietnam war. Why did they have a reticle preference? (I keed!)

Like I said, I totally messed up my Gentoo partition (13.0 to 17.1 profile upgrade was a b*tch.)

In another thread, I already got that information. Since you have such a small memory, I'll refresh it:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/accessories-make-the-outfit.6941563/#post-7715080

Here is the rifle I just took possession of:

View attachment 7107713

Now, get off my back and go back to one-handing yourself.

I'm a newbie who is trying to collect the most up-to-date information to make informed purchases. You keep calling me a troll, but nicer people than you are actually being helpful.

Be less noise, and more signal.
What type of shooting are you doing or planning on doing

If shooting PRS the first thing I would switch out is the handguard to a Seekins flat and then the stock if ( some people are comfortable with the factory) to the magpul PRS. The timney trigger is a huge upgrade also.

Ruthlessly mock the trolls, then apply logic.

Nobody can rebuild a Gentoo install and be unable to consistantly Google answers to questions that are posed every week. Troll.

Last edited:
From what I can tell from the "reasoned" response in this thread, the nuances seem to be "ruthlessly mock the other side"
If it's worth mocking at all,..it's worth mocking well!
It matters little what you use, but learn them all an don't short change or sight yourself,... The reason I prefer MOA is in my old TO&E book lists Military equipment from all over the world in inches/feet/yards. I have ran MOA for so long I know most of the subtentions w/o even looking at the book. Do I think I'll ever need to use that again, most likely not, but I'll keep that tool just in case.
While I prefer IPHY over everything everyone has a preference based on past or present usage. If I was recommending a system to a FNG I would most likely say mil,.....

While I prefer IPHY over everything everyone has a preference based on past or present usage. If I was recommending a system to a FNG I would most likely say mil,.....
That does seem to be the consensus here...

The timney trigger is a pretty decent upgrade (some of the older rugers could be fiddled with spring wise to make a decent trigger), the seekins rail will definitely help off a bag with the flat bottom. Myself I wouldnt put a penny more into it I would shoot the living piss out of it and sell it to upgrade since by then you may know what you like. Mil and MOA both work but since your intention is PRS I would say MIL because that is the language that will be spoken most likely... when in Rome.

The timney trigger is a pretty decent upgrade (some of the older rugers could be fiddled with spring wise to make a decent trigger), the seekins rail will definitely help off a bag with the flat bottom. Myself I wouldnt put a penny more into it I would shoot the living piss out of it and sell it to upgrade since by then you may know what you like. Mil and MOA both work but since your intention is PRS I would say MIL because that is the language that will be spoken most likely... when in Rome.
I'm thinking that's what I am gonna do. (both shoot as-is, and use mils)