• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Custom Actions (Vector)

Aside from that I’m happy. Surprisingly ARC and Accurate mags feed super smooth, yet AW’s tend to bind the bolt at the rear. Guessing I’ll have to shave off some of the mag catch to allow it to hang a little lower.
Might just have to tune the feed lips a little bit to get it smooth on the AW mag. I’m running MDT 10rd metal mag in mine, I had to tune it a bit to get it running smooth and reliable. After tuning the feed lips, my rounds seats in my MDT mag at a wired angle that you can see the noise of the rounds are tilted upward lol All my friends who shot my vector when they insert the mag they were all like WTF? Are they gonna feed reliable? I told them shut up and just shoot. They all end up have to recheck the last 4-5 rounds to make sure if they even chambered a round because it’s so smooth that they couldn’t even feel it chambered lol.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Yeah, I would be calling Chase about this. That isn’t right at all. Another thing to think about is your barrel was cut to be hand tight (not torqued) so you will probably still have a little more headspace then you want.

As someone who has this action inbound as well as a barrel... set to be hand tight, I will be monitoring head space consistencies.

I would be interested in hearing if Curtis looks into this for you. With Joel breaking away and starting his own action company, things like this need to be resolved.

Good luck getting someone to answer the phone

Reactions: ricksmunn
Gents - two quick questions for Vector set screws:

1.) what is current practice for torquing the set screws on a vector. Confirming 15in/lbs for each side?
2.) What size screw head?

1. Spin your barrel on until it stops, back off then snap it back hand tight. Screw one side until just snug, followed by the other, the go back to the first side and torque to 15 inch pounds, then the other.

2. 3/32

I have a little side project going on and I'm in search of a "shot out" Vector pre fit barrel if anyone has one or two laying around you have no need for.
. I would actually only need the first 6-8" or so to make it even easier to ship. Happy to pay for shipping and a little extra for your trouble if needed. ( .725 tennon like the print on their site shows.)
Thanks

Got my 6 Creed barrel today from Straight Jacket Armory. Just put it all together. Ill zero it and test it at distance this Sunday.

2CD8B7F8-BF41-4E0A-83F0-D33CC1D5023A.jpeg

How long was the wait time from straight jacket armory?

Almost 2 months, but take into account I ordered right when they started moving, so factor a few weeks there. Others have said 5-6 weeks when I asked.

If you want quick, go Keystone Accuracy. I’ll be getting a 308 from him here soon.

Last edited:
Got everything zero’d today. Didn’t really try for groups, but it was giving me around 1/2” with Hornady 108 Ammo.

Shoot 58 rounds today. At 20 rounds I chrono’d to get an idea and its @3050 ( with a suppressor). Even if it stays there, thats good enough for me.

Took it out to 1060 without issue. At 950 yards I shot two rounds, loosened the set screws, unscrewed the barrel, hand tightened it back on and torqued. Loaded 3 more rounds and connected at 950 again. Zero hiccups, works as advertised.

31B1E46F-4601-4EC1-AD06-54100BCDBF59.jpeg

I would be interested in this. I love my swept handles on my Tikkas. To have a swept handle on the Vector would be sweet!

Reactions: jb41291
BOLT HANDLE MOD:

20190919_194836.jpg

Ok so here is what i got. Really wanted to put a trg bolt on this but really do not want to spend $70 on a bolt handle alone. My concern is that the trg handle will either not have enough material toward the camming surface to properly allow me to drill tap for m6x1 at a trg bolt angle. So.... I have a impact round knob and was thinking of sending it into a smith to have them turn the bolt and bolt knob into the same diameter. Then after that is done have them bend the handle as close to ai specs as possible then refinish the bolt in dlc.

I was using the .375 bushing for my measurements. I’ll use the .400 bushing to measure my virgin and fired casings tonight and see how my measurements compare to yours.

Hornady’s aluminum bushings wear slightly over time. I wouldn’t compare to other people’s measurements. Always shoot fresh fire formed brass and setup off that. I’ve saved my fire formed brass from years ago with written measurements and remeasuring now verifies guage wear over time. Brass is harder than raw aluminum. Still useful but don’t assume an old headspace number is what you need today.

For those who are switching barrels to different calibers for their Vectors on a relatively "regular" basis, do you normally check headspace with go/no-go gauges after putting on a new barrel? Or would this practice be considered overkill?

For those who are switching barrels to different calibers for their Vectors on a relatively "regular" basis, do you normally check headspace with go/no-go gauges after putting on a new barrel? Or would this practice be considered overkill?

I switch between 4 barrels and 3 calibers. Just hand tight, set screws and shoot!

Not necessary.

Reactions: chrome
BOLT HANDLE MOD:

View attachment 7150188

Ok so here is what i got. Really wanted to put a trg bolt on this but really do not want to spend $70 on a bolt handle alone. My concern is that the trg handle will either not have enough material toward the camming surface to properly allow me to drill tap for m6x1 at a trg bolt angle. So.... I have a impact round knob and was thinking of sending it into a smith to have them turn the bolt and bolt knob into the same diameter. Then after that is done have them bend the handle as close to ai specs as possible then refinish the bolt in dlc.
Proceeding with modifying my vectors bolt handle. I am going to go with the trg bolt handle option. Will be cutting down the original vector bolt handle at an angle like the trg. Then drill and tap the material left over from the handle. Pics will be posted within the next 2 weeks.

Are any of you guys have feeding issues with the Vector. I know a few guys on here have had issues with both ai and aw mags.

Mine runs flawlessly with MDT metal mag and accurate mag, tuning the feed lip on the mdt mag is required, otherwise it won’t pick up the last 3-4 rd in the mdt mag.

Are any of you guys have feeding issues with the Vector. I know a few guys on here have had issues with both ai and aw mags.
I have a vector from the first batch that came out. It sits in an mpa ba chassis and feeds from aw mags. I had to play with the feed lips a little to match the straighter case walls of the 6.5 cm in order to eliminate my rounds from jamming into the opposite sides of the my barrel tenon. Then i had to trim down my mag latch for mag height to allow the rounds to ride the feeding ramps without jamming the tips and jamming into the 12 o clock of the tenon. After making these adjustments i have had zero feeding issues running the bolt slow or fast.

I am running ARC mags currently with no issues feeding. I’ll be moving over to AW mags in a few weeks, but aside from having to file the latch down to let it sit a little lower, it still feeds fine.

Hard for me to talk you outta it, honestly. I'm a huge Tikka fan, and the TRG that I got to try out a few years back was awesome.

That said, what box are you looking to check? Just wanna own a TRG?

Hard for me to talk you outta it, honestly. I'm a huge Tikka fan, and the TRG that I got to try out a few years back was awesome.

That said, what box are you looking to check? Just wanna own a TRG?
I have heard nothing but good about them, besides part cost. I love my vector but always wanted a trg. Honestly just want to try something different.

Fellow vector users,

Thinking of posting my barreled action on the px forum in order to get a trg. Talk me out of it.
Well I may not have talked you out of selling your Vector, but you talked me into buying a TRG-22. Bought one in .308 today and should have it next week.

You sell out!!! N8ce man, congrats. Pm me on how it shoots once you get it out to the range!!
I sure will. I put my Curtis Axiom build and extra curtis axiom action up for sale locally. I don’t have to sell them but i like my Tikkas well enough plus the new toy. Picked the TRG up from gunbroker for a good deal.
799B034A-E83C-4B4E-828B-F07A9921A43E.jpeg

VERY interested in this as well...please take detailed notes/photos if you can! Are you also looking to sweep the handle back as well?
Yes, the handle will be swept back like the trg. Should be simple enough with a hacksaw, file, demel, hand drill, and tap

I am kinda late to the party but mine runs fine with AW mags. Had to tweak the front of the feed lips in the beginning because the 6 Creed has less taper than the .308 the AW’s were designed around. I have a KRG Whiskey-3 and they usually recommend a longer mag catch for AW’s but since the Curtis has the larger diameter bolt so I ended up not needing the longer mag catch but depending on chassis you might. If you are using a stock you might have to play with the bottom metal inlet depth, but again, since the Curtis has the .750” bolt it might not be necessary.

9E6354F9-546B-404E-8B7C-3EACD420ABAA.jpeg

Trg bolt handle came in. Looks like i will have a little project this weekend.

View attachment 7194620

When I first got mine I wanted to try bending the handle back cause I liked my Tikka swept handle as well but I didn’t have the balls to try it and now I guess I have gotten used to it cause I tried to run my Tikka last weekend and now it felt weird. I will also add that I found the best feel with the MPA bolt know and adapter after trying several others. I also thought about trying to bend just the handle adapter that way if I screwed up or didn’t like it I wasn’t out a whole new bolt, but like I said, once I got the MPA knob/adapter on it I didn’t mind it as much.

When I first got mine I wanted to try bending the handle back cause I liked my Tikka swept handle as well but I didn’t have the balls to try it and now I guess I have gotten used to it cause I tried to run my Tikka last weekend and now it felt weird. I will also add that I found the best feel with the MPA bolt know and adapter after trying several others. I also thought about trying to bend just the handle adapter that way if I screwed up or didn’t like it I wasn’t out a whole new bolt, but like I said, once I got the MPA knob/adapter on it I didn’t mind it as much.
Thats fair. I just want the bolt closer to my hand for less movement. I thought about bending it as well but like the look of the sako trg bolt. At this point id most likely keep my vector so i wouldnt worry about resale value goin down.

Thats fair. I just want the bolt closer to my hand for less movement. I thought about bending it as well but like the look of the sako trg bolt. At this point id most likely keep my vector so i wouldnt worry about resale value goin down.

I was more concerned with messing it up/breaking it, or weakening the bolt from heating it than was concerned with resale value, but with what you are doing you don’t really have to worry about that cause you aren’t bending it. Definitely post some pics and your findings once it’s done.

I agree with whoever said it would be cool if Curtis offered a swept handle option, even if it was a small up-charge.

I am kinda late to the party but mine runs fine with AW mags. Had to tweak the front of the feed lips in the beginning because the 6 Creed has less taper than the .308 the AW’s were designed around. I have a KRG Whiskey-3 and they usually recommend a longer mag catch for AW’s but since the Curtis has the larger diameter bolt so I ended up not needing the longer mag catch but depending on chassis you might. If you are using a stock you might have to play with the bottom metal inlet depth, but again, since the Curtis has the .750” bolt it might not be necessary.

View attachment 7194661
That’s a good lookin rifle.

That’s a good lookin rifle.

Thanks! I really love it :love: Although it goes against the trend, I didn’t want the heaviest rifle I could get so I liked the KRG for lighter weight. Although if I wanted to add some of KRG’s weights I could. All I did so far was add one of their Heavy Butt Pad Spacers just to balance it out the way I like it. My very first time shooting it I shot some of the smallest groups I ever shot, and it has really been great ever since.

Hey guys, just wanted to make a post for those that have extraction issues with their Vectors.

I had both the standard bolt and the 223 bolt for my Vector and both of them became very unreliable at extracting brass. The extractor would pull the brass out of the chamber, but then drop it in the action instead of flipping it out the ejection port. I assumed the extractor claw was bent and contacted CC about it and they sent me a new extractor/ejector set. This corrected the problem initially, but then the problem returned. I tried to contact them again about the issue since both of my bolts would no longer extract, but I never could get a response back from them, which was really disappointing. Since I couldn't get any help from them, I decided to see if I could fix it on my own. I noticed that if I shook the bolt in my hand, I could hear the extractor flopping around. When the bolt was new, there was no free play in the extractor. So I removed the spring and stretched it out and it fixed the problem. I did this to both bolts and they started working flawlessly. Apparently the springs lose their memory and fail to keep the extractor claw in the correct position. So if you have this issue, stretch the extractor springs out and it will fix it. However, I'm guessing the springs will lose their memory again after a while and you'll probably be back right where you left off. But it will at least get you a temporary fix.

After having constant pressure problems and extraction problems like many of you have, I gave up on the Vector and switched to Bighorn and haven't had a problem since. But if you really don't want to give up on your Vector, stretching the extractor springs should get you back up and running again. At least temporarily. It's frustrating that an action this expensive is so unreliable.

Let me know if this helps anybody out.

Poor customer service can really hurt a company. As a vector owner, this is concerning. Open the BigHorn thread and it is filled with responses and kudos to them.

It sucks that you had to ditch your vector. It has a lot of promise, but seems too troublesome for many. Sounds like you made a good call moving to BigHorn. I have played with one a few times and really liked it.

Hopefully Curtis can fix their customer service woes and resolve some of the issues owners are having. With Terminus out there now, resolving past issues and being responsive, it would be hard to choose the vector over the zeus.

Poor customer service can really hurt a company. As a vector owner, this is concerning. Open the BigHorn thread and it is filled with responses and kudos to them.

It sucks that you had to ditch your vector. It has a lot of promise, but seems too troublesome for many. Sounds like you made a good call moving to BigHorn. I have played with one a few times and really liked it.

Hopefully Curtis can fix their customer service woes and resolve some of the issues owners are having. With Terminus out there now, resolving past issues and being responsive, it would be hard to choose the vector over the zeus.
Hopefully you don’t have as many issues with yours as I did with mine. The action has a lot of potential. I didn’t know anything about Terminus until now. Tell be interesting to see how well they do.

They have a lot of issues they need to fix, beyond QA/QC.

I'm not a 3 lug guy, but if I had to pick between the Curtis and Terminus, I would take Terminus.

Like what?

Manufacturing issues.

They seem to have more issues then most other top tier action brands. A shooting friend of mine got an Axiom and a Vector - both were pretty much unshootable due to the manufacturing defects they had. Lots of other reports out there of people receiving Curtis actions with issues in the manufacturing quality.

Besides that, the oversized bolt causes lots of issues. Same issues every other brand has when they decide that the standard bolt is not big enough - like Ultimatum. Causes more issues and solves nothing. This is more a design issue. It's surmountable, but it can be a frustrating thing to overcome for some shooters.

I hold nothing against Curtis, but from what I've seen and heard, it definitely gives me pause. Everyone I know in Utah says to avoid them like the plague.

Manufacturing issues.

They seem to have more issues then most other top tier action brands. A shooting friend of mine got an Axiom and a Vector - both were pretty much unshootable due to the manufacturing defects they had. Lots of other reports out there of people receiving Curtis actions with issues in the manufacturing quality.

Besides that, the oversized bolt causes lots of issues. Same issues every other brand has when they decide that the standard bolt is not big enough - like Ultimatum. Causes more issues and solves nothing. This is more a design issue. It's surmountable, but it can be a frustrating thing to overcome for some shooters.

I hold nothing against Curtis, but from what I've seen and heard, it definitely gives me pause. Everyone I know in Utah says to avoid them like the plague.
My Curtis Axioms are great. I would recommend the Axiom to anyone. Sucks they seem to be having issues with the Vector.