• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Custom COL too short?

mattwashington

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2013
Montana
I am loading for 300 Win Mag. I am using Sierra 168 gr HPBT and 175 gr HPBT. I determined the COL for both bullets using the sharpie method. (Marking the bullet with a sharpie and adjusting the length until there were no rifling marks). The 168 gr round looks perfectly normal, but the 175 looks way too short. Does this mean my gun just doesn't like the 175 gr? The 175 gr looks unsafe to shoot.

[img:left]
2013-02-03_11-45-26_86_zps9eafec10.jpg
[/img] [img:right]
2013-02-03_11-46-34_118_zpse814556c.jpg
[/img]

Re: Custom COL too short?

Get a Hornady gauge and modified case much easier to determine OAL. There are others out there this just the one I use.

First, the OAL of itself won't make your short cartridge 'unsafe' to shoot.

Second, the ogive on those bullets looks indentical. If so, you goofed on the max OAL for at least one of them.

Those should be much closer to each other. Recheck your COAL. I think you have an error.

Thanks for the input. I think I made an error on the COL. Ordered a hornady COL gage last night from midway.

Thanks again for the help.