• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Reamer for 6.5 CM

daved

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I'm planning a build in 6.5 CM to be used for long range practical shooting. I'd like to use bullet weighs in the 139 -142 range, particularly the Berger 140 VLD/Hybrid. A previous post stated the jump, using Berger 140s in a standard 6.5CM chamber (FB = .200) and mag compatible COL of 2.820, is .040", which probably won't keep the Berger VLDs happy campers. I called PT&G to see if they could recommend a custom reamer but was told they could do one but I would have to either supply the specs or a dummy round. Since I have neither, I'd appreciate any suggestions for reamer dimensions to accomplish my goal - touch the lands using the the Berger 140s with H4350, COL 2.800-2.825.

Thanks much.

Reactions: Sig Marine
my chamber is cut with a standard PTG 6.5CM reamer. I run Berger 140 VLDs . My gun regularly shoots under half MOA with lots of groups in the 0.3-0.4 MOA range. My OAL is 2.85" for mag fed and 2.87" for single load. Both lengths shoot great and under most conditions don't require dope changes. Mag fed loads are through AI mags.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for reamer dimensions to accomplish my goal - touch the lands using the the Berger 140s with H4350, COL 2.800-2.825.

The 140 VLD's would touch with .139" freebore and the 140 Hybrids with .044" freebore at 2.800 OAL. Krieger says the throat can grow up to .030" during barrel break in.

My reamer was the standard .199 freebore. With 140 VLDs my OAL is 2.885 to the lands. I jam them .010 for a length of 2.995 give or take. I run Alpha mags. I sent the reamer back to PTG and had them shorten it to their "Creedmoor Match" specs which is .170" freebore so I can run the VLD at 2.855 when I rebarrel. The Hybrids will be slightly longer than the VLD. FWIW, I had 1500 rounds on my chamber when I set it back and the throat had yet to move.

If you do the math from the above numbers, you will need a freebore in the .130 range to set the VLD to touch the lands at 2.815.

Last edited:
My concern is that past posts indicate that when the FB is in the 125 - 130 range, the chamber won't accept factory match ammo. While I intend to reload all or most of my own ammo, I'd hate to own or have to sell a gun that can't shoot factory ammo.

Just a follow-up - I've decided to simplify life and just go with a standard chamber dimensions. When it's time to re-barrel, I'll have some experience with loading the 6.5CM and a better idea of what I'm doing!! Thanks for the input---