• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cut rifled Savage Pre-fit - Who does this work?

nksmfamjp

Handloader
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Central OH
I have a Savage 12BVSS that shoots about 0.7 MOA at 100 yds with its factory Savage Varmint barrel. Not bad, right? I would like to get under 0.5”.

One option is to give the whole thing to a gunsmith and have them spin up any blank I choose.

Another option, that I prefer is to put on a prefit. There are many good prefits out there, but they are all button rifled...I’m looking at Shilen from NSS, Pac-Nor, McGowan, X-Caliber

I would ideally be looking to put a Kreiger, Bartlein, Proof, Brux, K&P on this rifle. So who is turning cut rifled blanks into pre-fits?

It goes into a chassis next week, we’ll see if I get anything from that.

Don’t be afraid of the Shilen ultra match from Northland. My 6cm barrel is the smoothest bore of any barrel I own. Btw it shoots lights out
864CCCD1-58CD-4C43-84EF-3B08CBE2FC30.jpeg

Without a doubt HawkHill Custom is where you need to look. On the shelf and absolute hammers.

Reactions: vigildom7
That’s the way I’m thinking now. Price is just too high for a cut rifled barrel.
I have both Shilen and Criterion barrels all sourced from Northland. Give James a call and chances are he has the barrel sitting on the shelf ready to go.

Reactions: Sierra770
Another vote for the Shilen Select Match from NSS. With a 26", 6.5 Creedmoor,, it (MTU) is darn near as accurate as the Bartlein's (M24) that I have been running and is about 50 fps faster with the same load.

I have also run the Criterion from NSS. It was fine, but I won't buy another so long as the Shilen Select Match is still around.

Reactions: John Glidewell
PacNor prefit (short chambered) got my best 20-shot 100 yd group ever at 0.658".

That’s the way I’m thinking now. Price is just too high for a cut rifled barrel.

I have a Shilen in .260Rem and a Criterion in .223Rem Wylde, both sourced from Northland and both are sub 0.5MOA Prefits are the best bang for the $$$ going.

Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes) has Bartlein blanks in prefit contours.

My 6x47L barrel was about $650 shipped if memory serves me correctly. Only had four left after zero to group with last time out.

1120rds on the barrel and counting
1568236753854.jpg

**Edited to add, this is a cut rifled blank I'm talking about. I believe he gets them straight from Bartlein in prefit contours, so all he's gotta do is chamber it and thread the muzzle.

Less work and time involved for everyone and I think the target speaks for itself.

That's not cherry picker, that's lay down and put up 5. Might be closer to .3-.5 in a match setting where you're on the clock.

It's capable of 1/4 though so I'll be doing another for next year.

Last edited:

SPR/Bugholes is $180 to machine a savage small shank prefit. Buy a blank from them or send them a blank... some good deals on blanks in the PX. Puts you around $525 +/- depending on options all said and done....

I have purchased two prefit barrels from Bugholes and am quite pleased with the service as well as the fact both were delivered within the promised time frame. I expect to buy more in the future...

I wouldn't be telling the Gunsmith anything except what bore diameter and what I want it to do. For any other issue, I'd be asking the gunsmith.

If your shooting friends who have custom rifles, and especially rifles from that gunsmith concur, then give him a budget cost limit, and ask for an estimate based on actual delivery time projections.

If they don't concur, keep looking.

Gunsmiths know what they've worked with in the past and how to get the performance you're asking for. By demanding certain specifications, you narrow their options.

Cut rifling, button rifling are more about personal choices than actual performance; great barrels exist in either category. Every time you make a choice, you're taking another chance on getting something wrong.

Let the pro do the choosing.

Chassis? Folks were shooting screamers (Groups sizes that start with a decimal and a zero) long before anybody brought out the current proliferation of chassis.

Greg

Love Bugholes and LRI, great people, awesome work. I have a prefit from Josh/PVA in 6 BRA that is a laser, and Mike at Criterion is always a pleasure to work with; great product too! Had great work from Keystone as well. I guess bottom line you have a half dozen great options at least.

18A14118-8C9F-4D25-B8BB-F69D9040516E.jpeg

AAA55685-58C4-416D-A5D2-8F6F6915CD64.jpeg

Cut rifled brux heavy Palma for small shank savage from keystone.

I bore scoped it and the throat looks immaculate not that that translates into anything but it shows care in making it.

My previous Shilen prefits were awesome barrels that shot great but this barrel’s machine work is far above them.

Both my Shilens often shot 1/4-3/8 5 shot groups.
82305CCC-6FC2-4D40-AA75-DC2A54F5CA5F.jpeg

Don’t discount the potential of a button rifled barrels.

Last edited: