• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 453 American vs. Anschutz 1517 HB (.17 HMR)

paintballbudd

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2009
I've been wanting a high quality squirrel popper for a long time. I currently have a Marlin 60 with a crappy Bushnell 6x scope.

I'm stuck deciding between the CZ 453 A, and Anschutz 1517 HB. I'll probably be sticking a Leupold VX3 on whichever one I decide on.

The only small issues I've read about the CZ 452 is the trigger. I understand that I can replace it with a reflex, but the 453 comes with a supposedly pretty nice adjustable single set trigger, which I think should be comparable to the Anschutz's double stage trigger.

The one fairly surprising issue I've heard about the 1517 is the ejection system. Supposedly, its not very consistent. Sometimes it will eject fine, while at other times it will just leave the shell sitting on the chamber. Some also say that the action is a bit stiff, at least when its still new. Weird, for such a high end manufacturer.

Anyway, I cant decide. You guys seem to have a good group of people with experience with the CZ, hopefully some of you have also shot the 1517, or any of the Anschutz 1500 series. Any help would be much appreciated.

-buddo

Re: CZ 453 American vs. Anschutz 1517 HB (.17 HMR)

CZ will drive it where you want it on the squirrels with a nice scope. Very consistent for me.