• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz 455 Lilja McMillan M40A1 build!!!

djdilliodon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2013
West Babylon, NY
This was a fun build and is the first time I got the chance to bed a McMillan stock for a 455. Here is what is done to it with pics.

McMillan CZ M40A22 (variation of the M40A1) , pillar bedded and full length glass bedded with epoxy edges colored to match the stock.

Bolt body polished to 600 grit finish with striker fully polished, custom striker spring, and moly lubricated. Custom tactical bolt handle by mscott.

12.9 grade 4mm hex style action screws.

Custom M5 style trigger guard.

Rifle basix trigger.

DIP aluminum magazine well.

Lilja stainless steel match varmint taper barrel in 22 WMR with lettering gloss black filled.

Not a bad build for a squirrel gun ehhh??? Lmao!

When I looked at the Lilja web site, I only saw the factory taper, target taper and the straight monster taper, for the drop in CZ barrels. Is that varmint taper a special order, or did I miss something?

FWIW, I had a target taper on a Rem504, that I replaced with the straight heavy one. One was to heavy, the other too light. I sent that rifle to Stockade gunworks...long story...but he is re-profiling the barrel, to finish at about .850-.875 at the muzzle. He didn't think it would hurt the accuracy.
We will see. If I like how the 504 shoots, I might sell my CZ, if not, I'll have to move forward on the CZ.
Right now it has the M5 trigger guard and Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock.

When I looked at the Lilja web site, I only saw the factory taper, target taper and the straight monster taper, for the drop in CZ barrels. Is that varmint taper a special order, or did I miss something?

FWIW, I had a target taper on a Rem504, that I replaced with the straight heavy one. One was to heavy, the other too light. I sent that rifle to Stockade gunworks...long story...but he is re-profiling the barrel, to finish at about .850-.875 at the muzzle. He didn't think it would hurt the accuracy.
We will see. If I like how the 504 shoots, I might sell my CZ, if not, I'll have to move forward on the CZ.
Right now it has the M5 trigger guard and Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock.

The lilja barrels are offered in 2 tapers for the 455. One is the straight .900" no taper barrel and the other is the varmint taper which is .900" for the first 3" with a straight taper to .630" at the muzzle. For bench only work the straight .900" is a great choice but if you will be hunting the varmint is perfect and is no slouch on the bench either (never noticed a difference). The 504 can be made to shoot pretty darn good but just like the 455, it begs to be bedded to realize the full potential. Drop the action screws out of your 504 with it laying freely in stock. Push forwards and backwards and side to side. Does she move a lot? If memory serves me the front of the stock is inletted square which causes very little contact.

OK, a friend called it the target taper..

I had sent the 504 to Stockade to have him inlet one of his stocks. Like I said, long story, but I sent him a factory laminated target stock that he bedded. The Lilja was having extraction issues, which he corrected, re-profile the barrel and paint the stock OD and "Weatherby Tan".
Should be done and on it's way.

If I keep the CZ, which I probably will, I'll go for the target taper from Lilja.

OK, a friend called it the target taper..

I had sent the 504 to Stockade to have him inlet one of his stocks. Like I said, long story, but I sent him a factory laminated target stock that he bedded. The Lilja was having extraction issues, which he corrected, re-profile the barrel and paint the stock OD and "Weatherby Tan".
Should be done and on it's way.

If I keep the CZ, which I probably will, I'll go for the target taper from Lilja.

It's been awhile since I've seen a 504 shoot but I'm pretty sure the 455 lilja setup with full bedding ect will out shoot it. If the remmy doesn't shoot .3's or better at 50 yards move it along and do the cz cause it will :).

Nice rifle! How much did the stock cost you?

Cost the owner I believe around $500 and 6 months of waiting. I've done many using the manners stock and I must say the McMillan is nicer. The Inlet was better and was near perfect! Almost no movement forwards and backwards and just 1/16" of movement on the sides. Inlet was near perfectly level which is something I've never seen before on a 455 stock. Like always pillar bedding and glass bedding the stock is always best for a perfect stress free fit with no movement but when starting out with such good inletting like this, it makes the job a lot easier!!!

Nice stick. Looks good indeed. You can see my M40A1 .22lr builds on my profile page under photos. Let us know how it shoots. I was thinking about getting a CZ but tend to prefer the 40X.

I wouldn't say superior. CZ's have a great cost, they are repeaters, you can get McMillan M40-22 stocks for them and lots of other things. I'd say that makes a CZ superior! I just love how the 40X is a drop in action for a Rem 700.

My next .22lr build is like your rifle because it has plenty of superior aspects. I just happen to already have a few 40X rimfires.

I wouldn't say superior. CZ's have a great cost, they are repeaters, you can get McMillan M40-22 stocks for them and lots of other things. I'd say that makes a CZ superior! I just love how the 40X is a drop in action for a Rem 700.

My next .22lr build is like your rifle because it has plenty of superior aspects. I just happen to already have a few 40X rimfires.

For an all out accuracy build the 40x is a better action. The cz has its benefits like you mentioned plus it won't cost you an arm and a leg to rebarrel. A Lilja can be had for $365-$420 with shipping but now Feddersen has entered the game which will make it cost half that! I got 5 of the barrels on the way (2 suppressor ready sporters and 3 varmints) and can't wait to see how they do compared to a Lilja!

You're right about rebarreling. I use Hart barrels with the M40 sniper contour and it's $320 shipped. I usually do my own work but don't have the gonads to rebarrel a rimfire yet, so my buddy does it. Cost me $125. Then black oxide treatment is $140.

If CZ had a bolt handle like Remington 700/40X rifles do...I'd sell all my 40X rimfires. Wonder if I could replace the bolt handle with a PTG handle? Can you take a close up photo of the bolt handle for me? We don't have any local in a Marine town. Either they want cheap .22lrs or the big boys. Thanks in advance. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Last edited:
You're right about rebarreling. I use Hart barrels with the M40 sniper contour and it's $320 shipped. I usually do my own work but don't have the gonads to rebarrel a rimfire yet, so my buddy does it. Cost me $125. Then black oxide treatment is $140.

If CZ had a bolt handle like Remington 700/40X rifles do...I'd sell all my 40X rimfires. Wonder if I could replace the bolt handle with a PTG handle? Can you take a close up photo of the bolt handle for me? We don't have any local in a Matine town. Either they want cheap .22lrs or the big boys. Thanks in advance. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Any style bolt handle can be done easily :). I use member mscott for this and he can do any style your heart desires :).