• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Those of you with a 457 in a krg bravo what do you have your action screws torqued at? Chassis manual said to do 45 pounds and that's what I installed it at. Worth it to play around with the torque settings?

Broke down and grabbed a DIP aluminum magwell (backordered) and aluminum magwell block. Not thrilled with the plastic versions that come from the factory. Took them out once (made it easier to get at the hole the YoDave spring sits in) and and now the magazines don't pop in as easily. Not the end of the world and It might just be me being hyper critical but I like the idea of metal parts in my rifles...

I can't find it right now, but on another site someone mentioned the follower being in backwards as a possible cause. I don't even know if that's possible, and I'm travelling so I can't look at mine.
I'll try and find that post

Dave

Will someone help a guy out, I need some opinions

CZ 457 in the Manners stock, and adding some form of cheek riser

or...

CZ 457 in the Pro Varmint or At-One stock....selling the Boyd’s stock....and dropping the barreled action into a KRG Bravo. I’m just not a fan of Boyd’s

Use will be a just for fun range toy, both close range and long distance...may have some just for fun matches with friends/family, but no actual competition like NRL22 or PRS

Help me spend my money lol

Regarding 10 end mag feeding isues:

Here's one link

And another

Both discuss the follower being backwards, one on a brand new factory packaged 10 rounder.

Worth checking

Hope it's as simple as this

Dave

Edit: for clarity (I hope)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dhaa
It has to be my mags, as it does not do it with a 5 rounder.
I never use my 5 rounder and didn’t think to check It earlier. It ejects the last round just fine. When comparing my 10 and 5 rounders I see the back half of the follower sits lower on the 10’s and allows the last empty to fall out of the extractor. I will look into seeing if they all three are backwards. I have never had them apart. I hope it’s that simple. Thanks for the help guys.

Regarding 10 end mag feeding isues:

Here's one link

And another

Both discuss the follower being backwards, one on a brand new factory packaged 10 rounder.

Worth checking

Hope it's as simple as this

Dave

Edit: for clarity (I hope)
Thanks for the help.

I got my CZ 457 ProVarmit almost ready for NRL22 Base Class. I just need a cheek riser.

Attachments

• 26B81580-87A8-4545-B241-E5BB49C69169.jpeg
    26B81580-87A8-4545-B241-E5BB49C69169.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 125
Those of you with a 457 in a krg bravo what do you have your action screws torqued at? Chassis manual said to do 45 pounds and that's what I installed it at. Worth it to play around with the torque settings?
Take careful note as you go up in the higher torque...my action started to not cycle so well. I'm using a MDT LSS RF chassis.

Debating about a mdt xrs for my provarmint, anyone have pics of this combo? Wondering how it looks with the shorter barrel.

Broke down and grabbed a DIP aluminum magwell (backordered) and aluminum magwell block. Not thrilled with the plastic versions that come from the factory. Took them out once (made it easier to get at the hole the YoDave spring sits in) and and now the magazines don't pop in as easily. Not the end of the world and It might just be me being hyper critical but I like the idea of metal parts in my rifles...
So just an update. The mag issue has resolved itself. Apparently in a moment of stupidity I torqued the rear action screw all the way down (25 in/lbs) before the front one and it got something cattywampused. Today I snugged both screws a bit before tightening them completely and the mags pop in smooth as butter! Just an FYI.

Reactions: lash
Since the 5 rounders function properly, I would be hesitant to change anything on the bolt.
You said the follower on the ten rounders is lower at the rear; mine are also, but slightly and don't give me any trouble.
I think I'd play with one mag for awhile before anything else, maybe stretch the spring slightly, etc.
Are you sure the 10 rounders are .22lr?
Good luck and keep us posted

Dave

When I first got my 10 rd. mags, I had 1 that would only take 9 rds. I took it apart and the spring wasn't seated correctly. Now they work perfectly.

How long do you need it?
I think that would work and maybe the Boyd’s at one stock with the adjustable buttpad

Anybody here with the chassis version replaced the luth ar with a different rear? If so what? The bottom of the luth wiggles in the bags. It is never still

Anybody here with the chassis version replaced the luth ar with a different rear? If so what? The bottom of the luth wiggles in the bags. It is never still
I have the Varmint Precision Chassis. Did you snug the set screw after you adjusted the length of pull? Small set screw on the left side that snugs the Luth to the buffer tube. It’s not very obvious. If I remember right, I stumbled across it while I was on Luth’s web page seeing what verson of butt stock it was. Mine didn’t have any wiggle after I did that.

I have the Varmint Precision Chassis. Did you snug the set screw after you adjusted the length of pull? Small set screw on the left side that snugs the Luth to the buffer tube. It’s not very obvious. If I remember right, I stumbled across it while I was on Luth’s web page seeing what verson of butt stock it was. Mine didn’t have any wiggle after I did that.
I forgot about that screw. I will tighten ans give a retry when my mag well block gets here. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Dhaa
I’ll be honest and tell you up front that I didn’t go back and review the previous 33 pages, but just wanted to jump in and say that I finally bought the 457 that I’ve liked for a while now. Having shot another guys varmint, I had to get one. Now that I can.

I ordered an Area 419 rail for it, though I know there are cheaper out there and am trying to decide wtf to do about a scope for this rifle. Primary use will be NRL22 and other Comp to 300+ yards.

What say you all?

Evening gents,
Need some sage advice. Time to get the CZ up and running so I ordered a Midas TAC and some Vortex Precision low rings. I plan on using it for target shooting (might try the base class thing I keep reading about :) ) but I will also use it to lay waste to the squirrels that are infesting my bird feeder and possible my attic (No I won't be shooting them in the attic) so I wanted to ask what base ya'll suggest. The bird feed is 15 to 20 yards away and I'm not sure what the max distance is in competition. Planning on going with a BScar or an Area 419. Do y'all suggest 15MOA or 30/35MOA base. Thank you for the help and putting up with the stupid question! :)
Area 419 15MOA should be fine, I have that rail and shoot out to 200m without issue except tight groups of course.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Hello all,

Just purchased a CZ 457 Varmit Precision Chassis 22LR rifle. I'm trying to get set up for ARA Benchrest. I'd like some advice on a forearm Picatinny rail style bipod setup. Any suggestions, thoughts? As well as any suggestions on where to purchase the components. TIA
:)

Tim
In the Southern Rio Grande Valley

Area 419 15MOA should be fine, I have that rail and shoot out to 200m without issue except tight groups of course.
I plan to buy the 419 rail. However right now I have the Midas Tac on Warne medium rings and I can reach 200 yards without holding over, just dialing. That is about the limit though.

I joined the club finally. I’ve wanted or for a while now, but couldn’t justify it. Ammo prices finally broke me. Cz 457 mtr varmint, area 419 30 moa rail, area 419 bolt knob, yodave trigger spring, atlas bipod rail and bipod, seekins med rings, Burris xtr ii 5-25 mil. Taking it out today. Scope isn’t ideal for nrl22, but should get me shooting.
CF80F563-F4A8-4387-AE93-DBDDB695C20E.jpeg

Last edited:
I joined the club finally. I’ve wanted or for a while now, but couldn’t justify it. Ammo prices finally broke me. Cz 457 mtr varmint, area 419 30 moa rail, area 419 bolt knob, yodave trigger spring, atlas bipod rail and bipod, seekins med rings, Burris xtr ii 5-25 mil. Taking it out today. Scope isn’t ideal for nrl22, but should get me shooting. View attachment 7605710
I bought the same exact rifle and Area 419 rail. I’m just waiting on the rifle to get shipped. I’ve had trouble finding 10 round mags for it actually in stock anywhere and have to yet order an atlas bipod rail for it. I’ve been admiring these for quite a while and then got to shoot one during a match in March. That sealed the deal for me.

I bought the same exact rifle and Area 419 rail. I’m just waiting on the rifle to get shipped. I’ve had trouble finding 10 round mags for it actually in stock anywhere and have to yet order an atlas bipod rail for it. I’ve been admiring these for quite a while and then got to shoot one during a match in March. That sealed the deal for me.
I have not been able to find any 10 round mags either. But I need too.

Reactions: lash and nikonNUT
Of course it decided to get breezy today. But it was fun shooting with my kids. The rifle really likes the Sk standard plus. Not my best shooting, but I was also dealing with twin 9 year olds cracking away at their rugger 10 22. I started with a zero. Then I shot top right going left. Middle right going left. Then bottom right going left. I shot two other groups up higher that got some scragglers from my kids. 😂 I just wrote those scores below the sk groups.
EC55E7EA-C1EE-4057-90BB-69A9E1921099.jpeg
56269554-BA84-4827-9E05-2E67BEEACBD9.jpeg
C8DF95C2-046A-491E-A494-42A527A2814E.jpeg

Finally getting back into 22lr after selling my beater Savage MK II FV-SR earlier in the year. Bought a CZ 457 pro varmint and it feels infinitely better than the MK II did. Was going to keep it in the factory stock but changed my mind and ordered an MPA to try out. Threw on an Area 419 30moa base and bolt handle. I think my NX8 finally found it's forever home on top of this rifle as well. Finally found some used 10 round mags online the other day, so those will make my life a little easier. The 5 round mags don't work with the MPA mag funnel installed. Had to pull it out to shoot in the mean time. Hoping I can do some actual groupings once a calm day rolls by. Winds have been all over the place lately.

20210417_135438.jpg

Finally getting back into 22lr after selling my beater Savage MK II FV-SR earlier in the year. Bought a CZ 457 pro varmint and it feels infinitely better than the MK II did. Was going to keep it in the factory stock but changed my mind and ordered an MPA to try out. Threw on an Area 419 30moa base and bolt handle. I think my NX8 finally found it's forever home on top of this rifle as well. Finally found some used 10 round mags online the other day, so those will make my life a little easier. The 5 round mags don't work with the MPA mag funnel installed. Had to pull it out to shoot in the mean time. Hoping I can do some actual groupings once a calm day rolls by. Winds have been all over the place lately.

View attachment 7606783
Nice looking rifle! Let us know how well that SK Standard Plus shoots in it.

So a dumb question for the the .22 gurus. IF you had a one rifle to do it all as in bust fluff rats, plinking at the range, and MAYBE trying a PRS22 match this summer what kind of pull weight would you set the factory trigger at. Obviously the BScar 2-stage is going in as soon as it is avaiable but in the mean time?

So a dumb question for the the .22 gurus. IF you had a one rifle to do it all as in bust fluff rats, plinking at the range, and MAYBE trying a PRS22 match this summer what kind of pull weight would you set the factory trigger at. Obviously the BScar 2-stage is going in as soon as it is avaiable but in the mean time?
Not 22 specific, but iirc, my TT Specials and Tikka T3x are set to 1.5lbs, which allows for me to marry up to it for a shot even with cold fingers and winter gloves on. I can't get my CZ trigger below 2lbs, but it's close enough to my TT specials for now.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Just ordered an Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 scope for my 457 varmint...any suggestions on rings? What height should I go with? It's in a KRG Bravo chassis.

Reactions: PowellSixO
Just ordered an Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 scope for my 457 varmint...any suggestions on rings? What height should I go with? It's in a KRG Bravo chassis.
Well, it depends a bit on which rail you are using. For example, the Area 419 rail is almost 1/2” tall. That means that you can typically get by with low rings.

BSCAR 25 MOA rail is what I have on the rifle.
The standard height 25 moa rail or the extra height moa rail? See what I mean? The stand height BSCAR rail sets 1/4” off the top of your barrel and the extra height rail adds 5/64” to that for a total of 21/64” off.

As an educational assist, I’m going to refer you to this sticky thread in the Optics forum:

Teach a man to fish...😉

Midas TAC 6-24x50, BScar standard height 25MOA rail, Vortex Optics Precision Matched Rings 30mm - Height 0.87 inches (Low?). That gives me a good cheek weld running a Boyd's AT-One with the cheek riser up as high as it will go.

Not 22 specific, but iirc, my TT Specials and Tikka T3x are set to 1.5lbs, which allows for me to marry up to it for a shot even with cold fingers and winter gloves on. I can't get my CZ trigger below 2lbs, but it's close enough to my TT specials for now.

i use 2lbs on all my rifles, which spend more time in the field than on a bench.

gotta say i love my Pro Varmint 12x Super Sniper and SK Std

View attachment 7607628
Thank you, gents. With the stock spring and BScar's replace pin I can get down to 1.25lbs easy enough but I have it breaking at 1.5lbs just like my other rifles. May turn it up to 2 just because it just feels so lite. Maybe I'm not a fan of single stage triggers 🤷‍♂️
P.S. Nice shooting @learjet !