• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Hi All, First post here.

So what's the QC level of your MTR ? I have one on order, but with all the bitching over at RFC, and complaints about QC, I'm seriously thinking a T1X and aftermarket stock. Some of your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks ...

Only issue with mine was that the receiver had a very small amount of play in the stock where the barrel meets the receiver, even with having pillars from the factory. You had to position the barrel in the center of the stock when you tightened down everything or the barrel could have SLIGHTLY uneven spacing between it and the stock. Easily fixed when the receiver was bedded.

I haven't seen one other than mine. I have heard of some variations in the wood grain and color on the stocks. The machining and finishes seem to be a step up IMO. Everyone that's sees and shoots it at the range says "I might just have to sell my 455".

I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably be very happy when you get your MTR.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
Only issue with mine was that the receiver had a very small amount of play in the stock where the barrel meets the receiver, even with having pillars from the factory. You had to position the barrel in the center of the stock when you tightened down everything or the barrel could have SLIGHTLY uneven spacing between it and the stock. Easily fixed when the receiver was bedded.

I haven't seen one other than mine. I have heard of some variations in the wood grain and color on the stocks. The machining and finishes seem to be a step up IMO. Everyone that's sees and shoots it at the range says "I might just have to sell my 455".

I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably be very happy when you get your MTR.
Well this is good to hear. Im with Europa. I keep hearing complaints. I Really want the 457 pro varmint supressor ready. I hope that one is g2g

I am really struggling with the dilemma of either buying a 457 or the t1x

I have a cz455 with after market barrels but I have a T3 with and aftermarket stock just sitting here.

So far the T1x seems to have the edge from accuracy stand point but being able to use my light weight 17hm2 barrel on the 457 is hard to pass up.

Can't wait for more 457 reviews as guys get them in their hands.

I just bought a 457 Varmint and am doing my 10 day wait. I ordered a T1X last night through Brownells preorder using their 10% off sale. Can’t beat $431 shipped! Don’t mind a wait at that price. Also, tikka mags are $29, same as CZ. No brainer to buy both and get a scope/ ring setup that swaps back and forth off a pic rail. ??

FedEx is supposed to deliver a couple of 457 Americans in 22RF tomorrow. I bought two so I could have at least one to put on my tables at our club's gun show in a few weeks, but am really wanting a MTR for my own enjoyment. Have my name on lists at a couple of distributors, but no idea when the next shipment of them is due into the U.S. I've seen one distributor listing a few 457 Varmint models in stock, and will probably order one in, just in case I don't get a MTR in time to put on my tables.

I left the above post on the table when I shut the laptop down last night - had no idea it'd still be here tonight when I got back online. FedEx delivered the two 457 Americans today, and impressions were all positive. The bore looked very well-finished, from the leade to the muzzle. The engraving - which looked like crude stamping in one photo I saw over on RFC - was either very well executed CNC engraving, or equally well executed laser or acid etched. The bolt face was in excellent condition - no trace of the beat-up appearance of one also pictured on RFC. I haven't yet aquired any tip-off rings nor a scope base that accepts Weaver or other picatinny rings, so I won't be shooting it until I do, but will be sure to post photos of any groups I get out of one of these rifles.

Reactions: D-SIL
I had to rob the scope base off my Anschutz 2011 to come up with something to fit the CZ457 American. I have a Sightron 24x target scope set up on this rail, which IIRC, has only 12 MOA of slope. But the rail slide onto the 457's dovetail perfectly, and once the two clamping screws were tightened, it's very solid. As a bonus, the ejection port cut-out for the Anschutz matches that of the 457 very well, so it looks like I need to try to get another one or two of these rails if they're still being made...

Only 16*F here today, with some freezing fog making everything pretty frosty. Doubt I'll get out to shoot unless the sun breaks through this afternoon.

Attachments

• DSC_1198.JPG
    DSC_1198.JPG
    509 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: Stickshift
I pillar/bedded the rifles myself. I had my local gunsmith thread the barrel.

I got to shoot both guns today for the first time. Both shot very well all things considered.

Shooting at 50 yards, bipod and bag in the back. Wind was 5-10 with an instance of 15-20+ right before a storm rolled in. I was shooting Wolf Target Match Extra and SK Rifle Match. I shot each gun for a total of ten groups with each brand of ammo, five shots each. The first two columns are Wolf, the second two are SK. I decided to do it this way because it keeps everything pretty honest. No hiding bad groups or mistakes/flyers. Measurements are on centers.

Some interesting things to note...
1) The 455 only has half the magnification of the MTR (12x vs 24x). That makes a pretty big difference when shooting at sub 1" circles.
2) The 455 shot both types of ammunition more consistently. The 457 did not seem to like the Wolf as much.
3) My last group (bottom right) with the 457 MTR was right before the storm came in and the target was starting to rock back and forth pretty good. If not for that last group, the gun would have averaged .367" with the SK ammo. That is pretty darn good for an almost factory rifle. View attachment 7016944View attachment 7016945

Looks like the MTR liked the SK RM better than the Wolf. That is interesting since they are both made by Lapua and I always considered them to be equivalent in quality and accuracy potential. I am curious. Did you dial the scope on the MTR down to 12x so that the comparison was more or less equal or did you dial it up to the max of 24x? That is important to me. I always see a measurable drop in accuracy when I dial a variable down from 24x to 6 or 8x unless it is being shot from a rigid clamped mount. It is not a huge difference. Not sure how much it would be going from 24x to 12x. Less for sure. As long as you can see clearly enough to aim precisely, maybe none? Might also depend on if the Vortex is FFP or 2FP. What do you think? Looks like the 457 MTR is roughly equivalent to the 455 Vmt? But it should get better as you break it in some more. Good first outing.

Reactions: atvanmoer
Well.....question is now which is better ?:
CZ 457 MTR
Tikka T1x and drop it in a KRG Bravo once they're available

CZ upgraded the 457 with a 60 deg. bolt, fixed the safety, gave it a nicer trigger that's actually usable, fixed the trigger guard, and the MTR has a match chamber (and hopefully a solid barrel).

The Tikka seems like it'll have a slicker action and will have a good barrel and trigger. It'll be about $200 more for the T1x and chassis over the CZ MTR.

Decisions, decisions. What's ARFcom's choice between these two if you can only have one? This will be a bench only rifle shot for groups.

Reactions: D-SIL
Not ARF over here.
Edited for social grace; (LOL)
Luck of the draw. Just test fired new Tikka and aside from the light and slippery stock it shoots well @ 50yds. and handles great. I did install T3 vertical grip. For my needs it helps.
Out of 5 452"s I stupidly sold, two would shoot very tight on demand.
I would not discount any one from the other.

Last edited:
Well.....question is now which is better ?:
CZ 457 MTR
Tikka T1x and drop it in a KRG Bravo once they're available

CZ upgraded the 457 with a 60 deg. bolt, fixed the safety, gave it a nicer trigger that's actually usable, fixed the trigger guard, and the MTR has a match chamber (and hopefully a solid barrel).

The Tikka seems like it'll have a slicker action and will have a good barrel and trigger. It'll be about $200 more for the T1x and chassis over the CZ MTR.

Decisions, decisions. What's ARFcom's choice between these two if you can only have one? This will be a bench only rifle shot for groups.

I'm in exactly the same predicament as Ingraham. 457 MTR or a T1X in another stock ...

Reactions: emann1022
I did not back the MTR scope down to 12x for the test. Probably would have been a good idea to make them the same though. Both scopes have super fine crosshairs but I garuntee I could be slightly more accurate with a 24x scope over a 12x scope. Those cricles in my test are not even 1". They are supposed to be, but when I print them on my home printer they end up smaller. It's hard to see 4 equal slices of pie when looking at the target through the 12x, whereas the 24x is no problem.

I'm shooting the newer Wolf manufactured by Eley. It is different from the SK. The SK has a darker colored lead and they are much more greasy.

FWIW, the operation of the bolt on my 457 MTR is smoother than my 455 Varm with many more rounds on through it.

Thanks for the added detail. That makes more sense now. I had forgotten that the newest Wolf ammo was from Eley. All of it that I have is still the older Lapua stuff and it shot identical to SK. I always like to keep a few bricks of Eley black on hand for benchmarking with other ammo. It is funny stuff. Very consistent but most of my rifles shoot Lapua CX as good or better and since the Lapua ammo is about 40% less costly, I end up shooting it more. Plus Lapua does not seem to vary as much lot to lot as Eley does. It seems that if you get a good lot of Eley that your rifle shoots well, it will be supremely accurate and hard to beat. But all of the lots of Lapua shoot good and if your rifle likes it, you really will not see quite as much lot to lot variance. The biggest difference seems to be that every now and then Lapua will have one round that is going to print lower than all the others. The BR shooters call it Cracker Jack, "A surprise in every box". That is usually not the case with Eley. Most of my Eley groups are round if I shoot 5 or more shots. My Lapua groups tend to be oblong if I shoot 5 or more shots with them stringing vertical often. They will often place 4 shots in one hole and then one shot just under that. If you are lucky enough to get 5 in one hole it is impressive. It just does not happen every time with CX. Eley on the other hand will consistently drill one hole but it is just a bigger hole most of the time. Hard to explain.

Question for SouthFLShootin: If you were going to shoot a match and be limited to 12x magnification. Which rifle would you choose? The 455-HB Varmint or the 457 MTR? I have a CZ 452 American that I really like, But the new MTR has me thinking about getting another rifle. Or selling them all and getting a VuDoo.

Question for SouthFLShootin: If you were going to shoot a match and be limited to 12x magnification. Which rifle would you choose? The 455-HB Varmint or the 457 MTR? I have a CZ 452 American that I really like, But the new MTR has me thinking about getting another rifle. Or selling them all and getting a VuDoo.

First off, I am not a seasoned bench rest shooter. I have spent most of my time shooting pistols, and started doing this not to long ago because it was different and I really enjoyed it. Almost like meditation. I'm sure someone with more experience and skills could get these rifles to perform better than me.

With that being said, I honestly think they are pretty even in terms of accuracy, slight edge towards the 457 because of the trigger. I do know my 455 seemed to get more accurate with higher round counts. The 457 has maybe 600 rounds through it now and is starting to get more accurate as well. I would PROBABLY take the 457 over the 455 to a match. If you told me I could only keep one, the MTR would DEFINITELY be staying in the safe.

I'd sure like to get one (or more) of the MTRs. Finally ordered a 457 Varmint & some spare mags a couple of days ago - should be here next Monday. But what I really want is the MTR version of the Varmint model...will keep watching for them to show up on the wholesalers' lists of in-stock stuff. Too dadburned cold to get any shooting done with one right now anyway. Maybe by the time I get a MTR, EGW will have scope rails ready for them...

Picked up a Varmint Precision Trainer. Can't wait to play with the trigger settings and get some rounds down range. Probably won't be able to for a week or two.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_131846.jpg
    IMG_20190206_131846.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 336
didn't know these made it out into the wild yet. which barrel length did you get? looking forward to a range report
They may not have...I know a guy. 16" barrel. Not sure if there's any truth to this, but the guy from CZ who was at the trade show I was attending said that 16" is optimal barrel length for accuracy on a 22lr. I really would prefer one at 20" threaded for the balance. I have a 20" barrel that I may have threaded and install if I don't like how the 16" feels with my can on it.

They may not have...I know a guy. 16" barrel. Not sure if there's any truth to this, but the guy from CZ who was at the trade show I was attending said that 16" is optimal barrel length for accuracy on a 22lr. I really would prefer one at 20" threaded for the balance. I have a 20" barrel that I may have threaded and install if I don't like how the 16" feels with my can on it.

I bought a 457 American because I couldn't find one of the Varmint MTRs. Really like this rifle - it's my 1st CZ 22RF, though I bought a 527 Carbine & re-barreled it to 6 RAT several years ago. The weather's been really crappy for shooting ever since I got the American, so I've got only 30rds through it - am really looking forward to getting a decent day to get it out and get some rounds downrange with it.

On the Precision Trainer - I'm no fan of 16" bbls, yet the 24" seems pretty long, especially if you like to shoot suppressed. Personally, I think they missed the boat by not just doing a threaded 20" or 20.5" bbl, and saved themselves having to stock both 16" & 24" bbls. Whatever - I like the looks of the 457 in the Manners stock - 1st class rigs. Looking forward to seeing some targets once you get it scoped & have time to do some shooting with it. Since I haven't been able to find a wholesaler with any MTRs in stock, I ordered a regular Varmint 457 - will be watching for the FedEx van to drive in the yard tomorrow.

On the Precision Trainer - I'm no fan of 16" bbls, yet the 24" seems pretty long, especially if you like to shoot suppressed. Personally, I think they missed the boat by not just doing a threaded 20" or 20.5" bbl, and saved themselves having to stock both 16" & 24" bbls.

I'm in agreement, especially since their varmint 24" is a tapered barrel. I'm going to shoot it as is (when I'm both home from work travels and the weather cooperates) and see how it shoots as is. If I don't like the balance as is I'll try the spare 20" barrel I have.

Yeah, they don't thread a 20.5" for any barrel for any model that I'm aware of.

i feel like they are missing the boat on that.

i'm REALLY leaning towards getting a 457 scout, selling the stock and or barrel over on RFC and just getting an 18.5 threaded barrel put on by MPA and then dropping it in that new Manners stock. Just going semi-custom from the start.

I agree - don't understand why CZ-USA wouldn't have asked the factory to thread muzzles on the 20.5" varmint bbl, at the very least for the precision trainer model. Seems pretty much a no-brainer to me, but what do I know?

So does MPA offer custom barrels for the CZ 455/457? After shooting nothing but the custom barrels I've done for my 22RF bolt repeaters, I'm somewhat more than slightly spoiled by their quality. Am looking at re-barreling my new 457 American & possibly Varmint and/or MTR Varmint when I manage to find one in stock at one of the wholesalers I deal with. Not crazy about going the Lilja route, since I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten out of three Krieger 22RF blanks.

I agree - don't understand why CZ-USA wouldn't have asked the factory to thread muzzles on the 20.5" varmint bbl, at the very least for the precision trainer model. Seems pretty much a no-brainer to me, but what do I know?

So does MPA offer custom barrels for the CZ 455/457? After shooting nothing but the custom barrels I've done for my 22RF bolt repeaters, I'm somewhat more than slightly spoiled by their quality. Am looking at re-barreling my new 457 American & possibly Varmint and/or MTR Varmint when I manage to find one in stock at one of the wholesalers I deal with. Not crazy about going the Lilja route, since I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten out of three Krieger 22RF blanks.

yes, they offer MPA branded Spencer barrels I believe. There is another thread on here about it. That is where I found out about it. I have shot with someone who uses their complete 22lr rifle and that thing shot really well so i'd assume the barrels they use are good to go.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mpa-22lr-cz455-barrel-testing-review.6921200

I was inbetween the 457 and the T1X.

I threw down a pre-order on a Area 419 457 30 MOA Rail, so I guess that makes the decision for me. Also have a set of ARC XLow rings coming in, hopefully that xlow should work perfectly with the 419’s extra height.

Anyone with a 455 Tacticool and Area 419 rail that can comment on best ring height where they don’t think they would need a cheek riser?

I think I will be going for the ProVamrint suppressor ready as a good host for my can, whenever the hell it gets approved.

I just put together a 455 in an MPA chassis and a Lilja barrel. It is impressively accurate. But now I want a 457 ? these things are addictive. The VPT looks awesome and the 24" American looks really classy.

I am thinking about the American for squirrel hunting on my Dad's farm. A nice, classic, slim, accurate rifle on a fall day picking off a few squirrels for a hearty squirrel gravy and cornbread dinner by an evening fire.

Dittos - once I set eyes on a couple of photos of the 457 American, I found myself wanting one very much. And since I've gotten a couple of half-decent days for shooting it off the bench after adjusting the trigger & torquing the action screws, I'm very pleased with mine. Appearance is very attractive IMHO, and function is as smooth as any other 22RF bolt rifle I've shot - with the exception of Anschutz 1611 & 2011 and Vudoo V-22s. Am still wanting to find a 457 Varmint MTR, but the demand for this version is very high, so I'll just try to be patient...

Last edited:
I assembled my new 457 Varmint 20" package yesterday and wanted to post a photo. This will be a potential NRL22 rifle depending on how it compares to my T1x which is on order. A few initial observations -first, this thing is pretty heavy and beefy feeling -8.6lbs as you see it. I will need to add 7/16 to the length of pull -it's right at 14" from the factory. I tried to account for the length I'll add to pull when I set my eye relief and "verticaled" my reticle. I'll also need a cheek riser. I estimate I need 1 1/8" of additional cheek height because the 419 30MOA base adds a fair bit of height, but the riser will make that moot. Rings are .87" Vortex cheepies to mount the Midas TAC 4-16x44. I also bought the 419 bold handle knob and love it -very functional for my larger hands, also looks good. So far the trigger feels fairly light and breaks cleanly. I don't detect creep, but am not a picky trigger person. The action feels very smooth, the finish work on the bolt head and face look good, no chips or nicks in the striker/pin face as some others have seen. The crown looks good, but we'll see how it shoots hopefully tomorrow. I ran some solvent and patches through it and it was very dirty from the test firing at the factory.
I'm very impressed with the fit and finish overall, and the stock is absolutely beautiful if you like classic design and woodwork -looks like a very fine piece of expensive furniture with excellent staining. Very rich finish and textures. Happy to post close up photos or any particular views if anyone has a request.
If I add the cheek riser to this stock, I'm looking at Matthews Fabrication, but open to suggestions.. Not sure Boyds or anyone else has a good stock for these yet. I'll add a sling/pic rail adapter so I can swap my Atlas bipod back and forth from the T3 you see in the photo.
IMG_0422.jpg

Received two 25 MOA BScar scope rails for the 457s today. They're very nicely made, with four set screws that line up perfectly with the four shallow divots drilled into the middle of the tip-off rail of the 457. A little dab of blue 242 loctite on the set screws, then lightly torqued, and this rail is pretty well locked into place on my 457 American. $35 including shipping...hard to beat that and get anywhere near the quality of Bill's rails. He also offers them in a 0 MOA version, and a fully custom-made 2-stage trigger for the CZ 455, which has gotten excellent reviews on RFC.

Attachments

• DSC_1195.JPG
    DSC_1195.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 306
Received two 25 MOA BScar scope rails for the 457s today. They're very nicely made, with four set screws that line up perfectly with the four shallow divots drilled into the middle of the tip-off rail of the 457. A little dab of blue 242 loctite on the set screws, then lightly torqued, and this rail is pretty well locked into place on my 457 American. $35 including shipping...hard to beat that and get anywhere near the quality of Bill's rails. He also offers them in a 0 MOA version, and a fully custom-made 2-stage trigger for the CZ 455, which has gotten excellent reviews on RFC.
do you have a llnk to that rail? not finding it via google search.

Can you notice a different feel to the tight tolerance action in the 457 MTR compared to your 455?

I’m looking for a 457 ProVarmint suppressor ready but there is an MTR available that I’m considering.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Just wondering if these have hit the streets, where and $$? Also wondering about the accuracy and shootability for nrl type matches. I’m really torn, because the Ruger has a flat magazine, and the entire rifle will balance on a gamechanger while my savage wont because of the extended mags, so I’m figuring the same will happen for the cz. Trying to decide between between a Ruger and 457.

a quick search reveals it seems to be out of stock in most places. competition wise, its probably more expensive to kit out the RPRimfire for nrl22/prs than the cz 457 at one. cz at one is probably slightly more accurate. you can try calling your LGS or doing a more comprehensive search

Just looking for some folks that are shooting them already. Have a couple friends with the RPRR, and it does ok. Just hoping that the 457 fixes the short comings of the 455. And to be honest, no LGS is going to have the knowledge that you can find from the shooters here. Not trying to be an ass, but yes, we’ve done a quick search, and everyone is out of stock and has been from the start which tells me that they haven’t hit the street yet, which leads me right back to the first question. Also they may be “probably” more accurate, which tells me that, to be honest, you don’t know. So please, if anyone has any good info that they can share, please do.

Just talked to Brownells where i have a preorder placed. They are expecting a big shipment of T1Xs late March, Early April. With their 10% coupon right now, that's $430 shipped to your FFL. Not bad, and not a bad wait assuming they arrive...

no offense taken, thats fair enough, but I dont know because no one is going to know for sure until you shoot the rifle, theres going to be variation across the 457s and its certainly possible to get a 457 that isnt accurate altho pretty unlikely. generally speaking, yes, a bolt action cz is going to be more accurate than a semi auto RPRR. especially since the RPRR uses stock 1022 actions iirc. 455s generally outshoot RPRRs so the 457 should as well. if it hasnt hit the streets yet, then hows anyone going to know how accurate it is? i went though the same exhaustive search as you did a couple weeks ago because i wanted an AT ONE but i could only find range report stuff for the MTR.

as for NRL matches, it depends on what your goal is. youre going to have to upgrade it to be seriously competitive. you cant use it for the base class because it costs too much and its not going to be on par with anschutz, vudoo, lilja CZs, and kidd supergrades if you want to really be competitive. cz changed the firing pin or spring or whatever in the 457, but thats not a huge change and the rest of interior ballistics are going to be the same. altho some people say all the CZs are all bedded/pillared now but all i know is that the MTR is for sure bedded/pillared due to breakdown pics.

Last edited:
Captain, I’m sorry, but you are pretty off base. Like waaaayyyy off base. The Ruger does NOT use 10/22 receivers, and is not a semi, it is a bolt action. Don’t care about base class, and we know it’s not on par with the Voodoo . The problem is, between shooting PRS, NRA gas gun, uspsa pistol, and PCC, I can’t afford the voodoo. I have to draw the line somewhere, and if I’m going to have to compromise, it’s going to be with the 22. CZ changed this entire receiver, not just the pin or spring or “whatever”.
I know that you are trying to be helpful, I really do, but I need good hard data from experienced shooters.

Reactions: S12A and strike33
Our local match director brought a new CZ457 varmint to our local sporter fun shoot last night. It was a good looking rifle. He fitted it with a big Sightron 10/50x scope for our 50y sandbag match using the IBS50 tgt. He scored a 236/9x out of 250 with it which was in the top 5 out of about 14 or 15 shooters. Top score for that card was 246/11x. On the 2nd card he put it away and pulled out his proven best sporter rifle. Still this score is on par with other CZ's shot at this club. My CZ452 American scored a 236 two weeks ago when I competed with it.

The TX1 looks like a player to me. The accuracy reports I've seen are pretty impressive. Not up to my Vudoo but a lot less money and weight.

Just wondering if these have hit the streets, where and $$? Also wondering about the accuracy and shootability for nrl type matches. I’m really torn, because the Ruger has a flat magazine, and the entire rifle will balance on a gamechanger while my savage wont because of the extended mags, so I’m figuring the same will happen for the cz. Trying to decide between between a Ruger and 457.
I don't have a 457, but I do have a 455 VPT in a Manners and a RPRR. I bought the RPRR for similar concerns. Shooting off barriers, the possibility of binding the mag up against said barriers, adaptability of the MLOK, and the RPRR has the QD cups for my PRS sling. After shooting both I much prefer the VPT. Even with the shortcomings. I did just send the stock off to Accurate Ordnance to have four QDs installed and a Henderson Precision RSR inletted into the forearm. Going back and forth between getting a full length ARCA rail to put on the RSR or just running it as MLOK. I'll post some pictures when I get it back though. Anyway, 457 gets my vote.

Thank you, that info is good to know. Arca rail on it should give you a good flat surface when you don’t have it locked into something.

Reactions: Rwjeter