• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I shot my best group, .2” using CCI SV at 50 yards, but there are a ton of flyers. I’ve had good luck with SK Rifle Match with consistent .3” groups, sometimes .4”

I use Norma Tac for practice at $4 a box and get less than a half inch groups. Don’t think I’d use it when I eventually start competing.

Whidden gunworks has a handful of different types of SK ammo in stock. Including rifle match and SK Standard plus at $78 a brick and $16 for shipping. Planning on grabbing a brick Friday to test out.

Reactions: phantasm
To anyone using dowels like I do to eject fired rounds or measurements for tuners. DO NOT forget to remove them before the next round. I did. I now have a stuck dowel and a fired bullet stuck at 5'' in barrel!!! I would have though the bullet would push out dowel, was I wrong. The barrel is at local gunsmith now, see what they can do.
Fred

I just finished setting up my CZ 457 and was wondering what you all are using for ammo? I picked up an assortment to run through it and see how it performs. Aside from the subsonic rounds, which I don't expect much out of as far as accuracy, does anyone have any experience with the SK and Eley? I've heard good things about it.

View attachment 7853696
The top 4, no Federal.

I have the Varmint Precision Chassis MTR
From what I’ve tried so far, my rifle likes (in order):
Eley Tenex
SK Long Range Match
Eley Match
Norma Match
SK Rifle Match
Eley Force (practice ammo)

Reactions: phantasm
Lapua Pistol King shot as good (or better) as Center-X and Eley Tenex in my CZ457. I have a Lilja Tight bore barrel though.

Attachments

• IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 71
To anyone using dowels like I do to eject fired rounds or measurements for tuners. DO NOT forget to remove them before the next round. I did. I now have a stuck dowel and a fired bullet stuck at 5'' in barrel!!! I would have though the bullet would push out dowel, was I wrong. The barrel is at local gunsmith now, see what they can do.
Fred
I'm an IDIOT I had 2 bullets stuck. They had to burn the wood it was jammed in there. Good thing my second case didn't eject or maybe I would fire more rounds!! Remind self be ALERT to sounds.

Done tinkering on the gun for a bit. Swapped out the varmint 21" barrel for the varmint 16", put on an ATS tuner with my ODIN Works Navi suppressor. While I had the gun apart decided to get a Timney flat face trigger set to 7 oz. Thanks to AandJ Sporting for shipping out the trigger so fast. Also decided to get a new forend for the Indian Creek Design chassis to make to 15" barrel and tuner fit and added the Gray Ops external weights. Running the Arken Optics USA Info new EP5 scope with Burris XTR signature rings with Scars scope base.

Now just need to go shoot and tune the barrel with the tuner. The gun out shot me with the 21" barrel, but just wanted to check out the shorter barrel. Only thing I might change is a new aftermarket barrel way down the road.

Now the idiot behind the trigger needs to get more practice time for PRS/NRL so the gun can actually perform to its potential.

20220423_165155.jpg

I'm an IDIOT I had 2 bullets stuck. They had to burn the wood it was jammed in there. Good thing my second case didn't eject or maybe I would fire more rounds!! Remind self be ALERT to sounds.
I use a dowel to push out unfired rounds from my Lilja barrel as well. I made a handle for the dowel from a champagne cork( fancy, I know). makes it easy to push and hard to forget. Had to use it this weekend.

regards,

I just finished setting up my CZ 457 and was wondering what you all are using for ammo? I picked up an assortment to run through it and see how it performs. Aside from the subsonic rounds, which I don't expect much out of as far as accuracy, does anyone have any experience with the SK and Eley? I've heard good things about it.

View attachment 7853696
SK Standard + shoots quite well through my Lilja, though it is edged out for consistency and grouping by SK Rifle match, especially past 50 yrds. I last bought my SK rifle match from Whidden gunworks. Very satisficed and I think the greater cost of the SK rifle match over the Standard + is worth it (to me at least)
regards,

First time out with the 457 chassis.

Suppressed with CCI SV possibly the most fun gun I have. Very satisfied with the accuracy with SV but it seems noticeably better with the Spectre than the Oculus. Left target is Spectre and right is Oculus, switched part way through to see if it was in my head or not.

D6F917D1-3434-41AD-9109-9C0896D61963.jpeg

2BC5B113-886A-4B72-8981-F024483FA325.jpeg

52739C28-D44F-4B25-8CD0-5769B4960527.jpeg

Managed to get out with my CZ 457 today. I shot 50 rounds of Federal Champion (40gr) and 30 rounds of CCI Suppressor (45gr) ammo. This was the first 70 rounds through the rifle. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

This shot group was from the Federal 40gr ammo. I'm rusty as hell when it comes to precision shooting but I'm happy with it.

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-05-07 13:07:39.893928 (1).jpeg

Any of y’all swap to a higher set of rings? I had a set of Warne Steel low with BSCAR 25 MOA standard rail on my KRG Bravo. But I had to use the lowest setting on the cheek rest. Something felt off and couldn’t get comfortable behind the scope. Ordered a set of mediums and everything feels so much better.

I’ve always tried to get as close to the barrel without touching. The mediums with the BSCAR rail are less than a quarter inch from the barrel.

On another note, I broke a screw off in the base of the low Warne rings. Emailed warne and they are sending a brand new set. No questions asked and didn’t even want proof. They have a customer for life. This is my 4th set from them.

Reactions: ZG47A
First time out with the 457 chassis.

Suppressed with CCI SV possibly the most fun gun I have. Very satisfied with the accuracy with SV but it seems noticeably better with the Spectre than the Oculus. Left target is Spectre and right is Oculus, switched part way through to see if it was in my head or not.

View attachment 7864894
View attachment 7864884

View attachment 7864885
Could have more to do with the CCI SV. I’d try different ammo and see if that helps. Hoping my Mask doesn’t increase my group size.

Any of y’all swap to a higher set of rings? I had a set of Warne Steel low with BSCAR 25 MOA standard rail on my KRG Bravo. But I had to use the lowest setting on the cheek rest. Something felt off and couldn’t get comfortable behind the scope. Ordered a set of mediums and everything feels so much better.

I’ve always tried to get as close to the barrel without touching. The mediums with the BSCAR rail are less than a quarter inch from the barrel.

On another note, I broke a screw off in the base of the low Warne rings. Emailed warne and they are sending a brand new set. No questions asked and didn’t even want proof. They have a customer for life. This is my 4th set from them.
Yep. For me, higher rings is usually more comfortable so that's what I go with. I've stopped worrying about how close the optic is to the barrel. I suppose that could help in some situations but the elevation adjustment needed is a known and can be compensated for easily.

I use my 'At-One' CZ457, 24" for benchrest (it worked out cheaper than a 2nd hand Anschutz), and have no real complaints.
But I feel the Boyd's stock is not the best for my use (well...I know it's not the best).
I'm thinking about a chassis, and not a lot of choice here in NZ.
For availability and price the Oryx chassis seems OK.
Any thoughts on the Oryx?
https://www.deltamike.co.nz/product/oryx-chassis-cz-457/
No use telling me get 'this' or get 'that' as we simply do not have much choice here, and US folks won't sell/send to NZ...so the Oryx is the one I'm looking at as being a 'maybe'.
I can get an MDT ACC system but at $1800+ (NZ) I don't think I will (it's a bugger being retired and poor).
https://targetdynamics.co.nz/product/acc-cz457-22lr-black-with-xtn-stock-and-vertical-grip/
Thanks for your help/guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I use my 'At-One' CZ457, 24" for benchrest (it worked out cheaper than a 2nd hand Anschutz), and have no real complaints.
But I feel the Boyd's stock is not the best for my use (well...I know it's not the best).
I'm thinking about a chassis, and not a lot of choice here in NZ.
For availability and price the Oryx chassis seems OK.
Any thoughts on the Oryx?
https://www.deltamike.co.nz/product/oryx-chassis-cz-457/
No use telling me get 'this' or get 'that' as we simply do not have much choice here, and US folks won't sell/send to NZ...so the Oryx is the one I'm looking at as being a 'maybe'.
I can get an MDT ACC system but at $1800+ (NZ) I don't think I will (it's a bugger being retired and poor).
https://targetdynamics.co.nz/product/acc-cz457-22lr-black-with-xtn-stock-and-vertical-grip/
Thanks for your help/guidance.
I have an Oryx on my Howa in 223, and I like it well enough. The only experience with chassis's I have is this and my 457 in a KRG Bravo. I 3d printed some of the spacers from the oryx and got a vertical grip instead of the stock one. Only real complaint I have is not a whole lot of options for a rear bag rider. But I did see a Reddit post where a guy made a bag rider out of a 6" x 6" metal bracket that I'm going to try out.

Reactions: Grey Kiwi
Well, I just picked up my second MTR. I sold one last year and bought a VPT with 24” barrel. It has been a good rifle but I wanted to try the MTR again. I’m going to mount my 45X45 scope and a Bscar trigger. I’m moving to Florida in a month and will be looking for places to shoot.

Reactions: Appalachian
Well, I just picked up my second MTR. I sold one last year and bought a VPT with 24” barrel. It has been a good rifle but I wanted to try the MTR again. I’m going to mount my 45X45 scope and a Bscar trigger. I’m moving to Florida in a month and will be looking for places to shoot.
Which MTR did you get?

Only for the bigger stuff (Rem 700, etc). One supplier only. Nothing for CZ457.
Prices range from $1299 -$1749 (so I probably won't go there!).
Yeah. Shame that SCSA haven’t gone there yet. I have seen a Howa .22 long rifle, fitted with a TSP stock, as opposed to the standard plastic stock which influenced me to buy a Ruger .22 WMR bolt-action instead of the Howa equivalent. Jaco, who is NZ Outdoors’ Howa brand ambassador, brought the Howa rifle along to a product presentation at our Branch Range. I never got around to shooting it though, as I was too busy playing with Mauser (I like the M12 but not the M18, which is still vastly superior to the ‘bottom of the barrel’ U.S. economy rifles) Sauer, Blaser, Lithgow, etc. having a gossip and eating some nice hot tasty snags.

We can but wait and hope. I was a TF Engineer myself, as opposed to a gunner but we did share our camp with 22D battery for a while. We never mentioned the extra flames on our ‘flaming grenade’, much. 🙂 🇳🇿

We never mentioned the extra flames on our ‘flaming grenade’, much.
Yeah, 9 flames...instead of the obviously superior 7 flames!
I'm sure that some readers are bemused (?)...so here is the said article (a lapel badge, NZ Artillery).
Never figured Engineers and grenades. Although you guys blew up stuff too.
My old Dad was 8th Army Engineer (Tobruk, El Alamein, etc)...he had a lot of fun blowing up stuff!
Anyway, I have ordered the Oryx chassis and it arrives this coming week. Then I'll sell the Boyds 'At-One' stock as it won't be used again.
I'm only using my CZ457 for benchrest, and have other .22's for hunting.
iu

Anybody know what the factory 16.5” barrel weighs? Debating on getting the proof cf 16.1” barrel at 22oz

I am having problems with a CZ 457 MTR not extracting rounds after they have been fired. I am shooting SK Standard. When the bolt and extractors are clean it won't extract probably 1 in every 30 rounds and then after bout 100-150 rounds it speeds up to 1 in every 10 rounds not being extracted. Has a bartlein barrel on it

What are the solutions to this? New extractors? Polish up the chamber? Need to take it to a reamer?

Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Last edited:
All righty then! I've decided my BMR isn't quite the right tool for the job for PRS style matches.

I've got a line on a 457 in an at-one stock for a decent price.

What am I getting that's different than a BMR? I know about the adjustable stock, but the rest?

M

All righty then! I've decided my BMR isn't quite the right tool for the job for PRS style matches.

I've got a line on a 457 in an at-one stock for a decent price.

What am I getting that's different than a BMR? I know about the adjustable stock, but the rest?

M

I can't say anything bad about the BMR as I've not owned one (yet). Still, having several B14R's and three 457;s ad have researched the BMR.
-Differences are that you'll get a 60 vs 90 deg bolt throw. Bolt throw is very easy/smooth as well. Then you have the ability to swap out the barrel and or stock . (You can even change calibers if you want.) I believe you'll get more weight out of the box with the cz too. Lastly, lots availability of accessories, ( stocks, barrels, triggers, rails, ................)
Otherwise they both offer:
- Good to excellent accuracy out of the box with the right ammo.
- Reliability of mag and action is VG .
- Triggers on both are very adjustable and able to get down into the 1# range. Less if you change the spring.

I can't say anything bad about the BMR as I've not owned one (yet). Still, having several B14R's and three 457;s ad have researched the BMR.
-Differences are that you'll get a 60 vs 90 deg bolt throw. Bolt throw is very easy/smooth as well. Then you have the ability to swap out the barrel and or stock . (You can even change calibers if you want.) I believe you'll get more weight out of the box with the cz too. Lastly, lots availability of accessories, ( stocks, barrels, triggers, rails, ................)
Otherwise they both offer:
- Good to excellent accuracy out of the box with the right ammo.
- Reliability of mag and action is VG .
- Triggers on both are very adjustable and able to get down into the 1# range. Less if you change the spring.
My BMR is an accurate, light, little rifle. It just isn't quite the right tool for the PRS job.

Not the first time I've bought something only to realize I didn't get quite the right thing. It's not bad. Just not the right thing Like when I was bringing an 1187 to the Wobble Trap stand. Did the job, just wasn't quite right. The older Citori I got from a buddy isn't quite right either, but it's closer than a semi-auto.

This 457 may not be either, but it'll be closer

M

Reactions: WeeHooker
My BMR is an accurate, light, little rifle. It just isn't quite the right tool for the PRS job.

Not the first time I've bought something only to realize I didn't get quite the right thing. It's not bad. Just not the right thing Like when I was bringing an 1187 to the Wobble Trap stand. Did the job, just wasn't quite right. The older Citori I got from a buddy isn't quite right either, but it's closer than a semi-auto.

This 457 may not be either, but it'll be closer

M
I agree, the CZ 457 is not the right tool for the Job.
If you want to have fun and be competitive go to several events and see what everyone is using and ask questions. Reading forums gives you an idea what to research but is not reality, it's mostly a waste of time. Going cheap for a production rifle and trying to upgrade it to make it work is a waste of money and time.
This is not a cheap hobby so buying the right custom rifle is well worth the investment. Do it right and you will be proud of your accomplishments for years. Learning to improve your skills shooting top tier hardware is easy & enjoyable. Don't be average, just do it right the first time and be a winner. Buying cheap production hardware is frustrating when it doesn't perform, but you knew that it was junk when you bought it. Its embarrassing when your range buddies all shake their heads and laugh saying "we told you it was a POS". Have fun on your journey in finding the right stuff.

Reactions: fredfish
I agree, the CZ 457 is not the right tool for the Job.
If you want to have fun and be competitive go to several events and see what everyone is using and ask questions. Reading forums gives you an idea what to research but is not reality, it's mostly a waste of time. Going cheap for a production rifle and trying to upgrade it to make it work is a waste of money and time.
This is not a cheap hobby so buying the right custom rifle is well worth the investment. Do it right and you will be proud of your accomplishments for years. Learning to improve your skills shooting top tier hardware is easy & enjoyable. Don't be average, just do it right the first time and be a winner. Buying cheap production hardware is frustrating when it doesn't perform, but you knew that it was junk when you bought it. Its embarrassing when your range buddies all shake their heads and laugh saying "we told you it was a POS". Have fun on your journey in finding the right stuff.
I strongly suspect that I'll be shooting the CZ for years before I find that it's the rifle holding me back.

Just like it'll be years before the Citori is holding me back

M

Took my new Varmint MTR to the range today. I shot 150 rds of SK std +, Pistol Match, and Cx. I can’t say I’m impressed, but it’s early. Time will tell. I know it takes several hundred rds before they start shooting consistent. Hope the time and effort was worth it.

I strongly suspect that I'll be shooting the CZ for years before I find that it's the rifle holding me back.

Just like it'll be years before the Citori is holding me back

M
I hear you but I just couldn't do the upgrade plan anymore. I have spent tons of money replacing triggers, barrels and chassis to get something that works. Upgrades are really a bad ROI. I decided not support or buy any brands that are made overseas. No spare parts and the lack of support for the US. Offshore shops like CZ, Bargara, Anschutz & Savage are old school antiques that are highly marketed, over priced, mass produced, low quality hardware. I wasted thousands over the years chasing the bargain.
I have cleared the deck of the old world iron and have re tooled the fleet with the state of the art equipment designed and CNC machined here in the USA. Rim X, VGW & Volquartsen that are superior to the inferior old world antiques tools. I did it right this time and bought the top of the line made in the USA brands that I'm proud to have the and support our outstanding patriots that make them. Good luck with CZ, I hope that you can find the springs and non avaiable parts to keep it running. I found that CZ' s are just like having that special 1985 Yugo that were know for their stellar reputation for being economical but fell short on QC and design.

Last edited:
I hear you but I just couldn't do the upgrade plan anymore. I have spent tons of money replacing triggers, barrels and chassis to get something that works. Upgrades are really a bad ROI. I decided not support or buy any brands that are made overseas. No spare parts and the lack of support for the US. Offshore shops like CZ, Bargara, Anschutz & Savage are old school antiques that are highly marketed, over priced, mass produced, low quality hardware. I wasted thousands over the years chasing the bargain.
I have cleared the deck of the old world iron and have re tooled the fleet with the state of the art equipment designed and CNC machined here in the USA. Rim X, VGW & Volquartsen that are superior to the inferior old world antiques tools. I did it right this time and bought the top of the line made in the USA brands that I'm proud to have the and support our outstanding patriots that make them. Good luck with CZ, I hope that you can find the springs and non avaiable parts to keep it running. I found that CZ' s are just like having that special 1985 Yugo that were know for their stellar reputation for being economical but fell short on QC and design.
I'm a cyclist. I didn't start out knowing that Dura Ace was worth it. I didn't realize that $300 bib shorts are indeed better than $30 bib shorts. I have that experience, but I don't have either the skills or the budget for any of the 'fancy' rifles right now. I realize that people that shoot them shoot them for a reason. I've got some (a lot!) of shooting to do before the rifle's the thing that's holding me back.

I've also gotten to the point in my riding where I'm fine with 90-some odd percent of the quality for half (ish) of the price of the top end stuff. ...especially if I'm racing the stuff.

So: next question: do Arca rails fit on the bottom of the At-One stock that comes on a 457?

M

Took my new Varmint MTR to the range today. I shot 150 rds of SK std +, Pistol Match, and Cx. I can’t say I’m impressed, but it’s early. Time will tell. I know it takes several hundred rds before they start shooting consistent. Hope the time and effort was worth it.
I don't remember if I posted this here, but I tried out 11 different kinds of ammo to see what my BMR liked. Center X and SK in the red box were 1 and 2. TAC22 was 3. My wallet likes TAC22 so that and CCI std velocity are what I shoot.

Mind you, I'm not shooting bench rest so relatively accurate is ok with me

M

I'm a cyclist. I didn't start out knowing that Dura Ace was worth it. I didn't realize that $300 bib shorts are indeed better than $30 bib shorts. I have that experience, but I don't have either the skills or the budget for any of the 'fancy' rifles right now. I realize that people that shoot them shoot them for a reason. I've got some (a lot!) of shooting to do before the rifle's the thing that's holding me back.

I've also gotten to the point in my riding where I'm fine with 90-some odd percent of the quality for half (ish) of the price of the top end stuff. ...especially if I'm racing the stuff.

So: next question: do Arca rails fit on the bottom of the At-One stock that comes on a 457?

M
Here is an ARCA rail on this Bodys stock, probably a 14 in long rail. You might want to touch base with him to see if he liked it. In his last video he accnounced that the CZ 457 was sold and that he is moving up the food chain to a B14R and has a Vudoo 360 on order. Looks like the CZ fell short in the NLR22 game. I agree with you comment, its always a trade off betewwn cost vs perfromance. Base as on where we are in life its time to do it right and buy the best while you still can use it. Buying a custom rig that has the right stuff in the long run is really cheaper than continously swapping the consumer grade toys.

Here is an ARCA rail on this Bodys stock, probably a 14 in long rail. You might want to touch base with him to see if he liked it. In his last video he accnounced that the CZ 457 was sold and that he is moving up the food chain to a B14R and has a Vudoo 360 on order. Looks like the CZ fell short in the NLR22 game. I

agree with you comment, its always a trade off betewwn cost vs perfromance. Base as on where we are in life its time to do it right and buy the best while you still can use it. Buying a custom rig that has the right stuff in the long run is really cheaper than continously swapping the consumer grade toys.
Here is an ARCA rail on this Bodys stock, probably a 14 in long rail. You might want to touch base with him to see if he liked it. In his last video he accnounced that the CZ 457 was sold and that he is moving up the food chain to a B14R and has a Vudoo 360 on order. Looks like the CZ fell short in the NLR22 game. I agree with you comment, its always a trade off betewwn cost vs perfromance. Base as on where we are in life its time to do it right and buy the best while you still can use it. Buying a custom rig that has the right stuff in the long run is really cheaper than continously swapping the consumer grade toys.

You obviously have an axe to grind with Cz. Fwiw, I own a 457 with a lilja barrel and 2 vudoos. The 457 is every bit as accurate as the vudoos are and is a very capable rifle. Josh from persuit of accuracy has won many awards with his 457, to say he’s moving up the food chain to a b14 is laughable.

You obviously have an axe to grind with Cz. Fwiw, I own a 457 with a lilja barrel and 2 vudoos. The 457 is every bit as accurate as the vudoos are and is a very capable rifle. Josh from persuit of accuracy has won many awards with his 457, to say he’s moving up the food chain to a b14 is laughable.
that brings up the question: how much more accurate do you need than 'accurate?'

If I'm at the range, sitting at a bench with time to let the HR settle out (4-5 sec for me) I can hold pretty tight groups at 100 yds like the guy in the video. Throw me into a MARS match trying to hit a crab 10-12x at 109 yards off a bucket in 90sec and if you miss, you have to move? Trying to hit a target at 195 yards off a hanging web ladder? etc Both are different stories.

IDK the exact answer to that first question either

M

Don't have any pics yet, but it looks just like the one Josh has in the you tube pic above. Mainly wanted you to know you didn't have to spring for the expensive area 419 rails.

Don't have any pics yet, but it looks just like the one Josh has in the you tube pic above. Mainly wanted you to know you didn't have to spring for the expensive area 419 rails.
That's great! Don't have the budget for the fancy stuff. ...no matter how good the stuff is

M

Next n00b question: Picatinny rails

I inherited some picatinny rails from a buddy that say they fit a Thompson Center rifle. Is there some kind of standard spacing or is it like the bicycle business where everything's proprietary?

M