• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

You obviously have an axe to grind with Cz. Fwiw, I own a 457 with a lilja barrel and 2 vudoos. The 457 is every bit as accurate as the vudoos are and is a very capable rifle. Josh from persuit of accuracy has won many awards with his 457, to say he’s moving up the food chain to a b14 is laughable.
It's enjoyable seeing others taking the journey that we have all experienced in learning the skills and knowledge to get the POI=POA. The real skill today is all about creating quality entertainment and getting loyal subscribers to ring the bell so vendors can justify providing testing hardware. Soft selling is an art that few can do. Using drama and controversy along with live chats are the keys to success in shooting for free and making money in doing so. With a Go pro and a 22 rifle you are testing expert. The real skill is to weed out the BS and select the right equipment. I too have a pair of each brand in Manners, and MPA furniture with Lilja, IBI and Bartein, Krieger barrels. I am really impressed with your resume and the ability to own a stable of good tools. I am sure that a B14R is headed your way as you chase the need for accuracy. There are several shops fixing the B14R and installing good barrels to make them shoot. The CZ is also called "good" when everything has been replaced with after market parts. In the end you can never out shoot the barrel and its really a wind game. Good luck with the B14R. LOL They are all good if you have one; its called brand loyalty and the reward is that little sticker that's in every box.

Reactions: ZG47A

Attachments

• 20220126_180640.jpg
    20220126_180640.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Picked up the At One today. Seems I fat-fingered the button and clicked on the 24" version. Aah well. I'll shoot it and see before deciding on having someone lop 4" off the end of the barrel.

Always easier to cut it shorter later. Very difficult to add it back

Heavier rifle than the BMR by far and that's without the Venom and the bipod on it

M

Picked up the At One today. Seems I fat-fingered the button and clicked on the 24" version. Aah well. I'll shoot it and see before deciding on having someone lop 4" off the end of the barrel.

Heavier rifle than the BMR by far and that's without the Venom and the bipod on it

M
If your fast and are really regretting it, you might be able to call and get your order changed. I've found most shops don't ship for a couple of days. Still, the 24" version is scarcer than the 16.5", if you hate it, it likely won't be hard to sell off the barrel and replace it with a factory takeoff ( or custom) in a shorter length. . That said, I always found it odd that this model isn't offered in the 20" barrel length as well . Seems like that's the happy place for allot of .22 rifle buyers. FWIW, I have two CZ 457's. One custom build (22") and a Royal (20"). I wouldn't sell either for more than I paid for them. In fact, I'm considering a third.
In any case, keep us posted on how you like it!

Last edited:
You will love the 24".
'Big is good' sort of thing.
I use my 24" Varmint for benchrest, and it's fine.
Maybe a tad long if you went hunting through the shrubbery though.
Just a few days ago removed the At-One stock and stuck on an Oryx chassis.
Only because I can make the Oryx fit my body better, and the straight trigger pull I now get is great for my dodgy right hand and trigger finger.

So I missed the first NRL Hunter match in my area in March because wife and I had our first baby the week before. After that match the facility announced they’d be holding a one day NRL22x match in NRL Hunter format. Well well time to jump into a 22. Better not spend too much. Whoops. Like every rifle ever, it got away from me a bit.

CZ 457 VPT
18.5” Area 419 Lilja
Timney Trigger at 10oz
Area 419 Bolt Knob
12” Area 419 ARCA Rail
SCAR 35 MOA Rail
ARC M10 Rings
Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 MRAD1
Anarchy Outdoors Extended Mag Release

GwEQqkt.jpg

IOwqdMt.jpg

I tested 17 kinds of ammo with the factory barrel:

1FYgIPo.jpg

While there are some good groups here, i wasn’t that impressed with 100 yard+ groups. I just happened to see a FB post about Area 419 getting the Liljas in stock last week. I had planned on shooting Midas+ but the Lilja just really liked Tenex at 50 so I have a couple bricks coming to test out. If I do stay with Midas+, it should be fine as I also had a .62” 5 shot group at 100 and a 1.18” 5 shot group at 200 with the Midas+. We’ll see if the Tenex holds at longer range.

9UCALOu.jpg

csVyV87.jpg

So I missed the first NRL Hunter match in my area in March because wife and I had our first baby the week before. After that match the facility announced they’d be holding a one day NRL22x match in NRL Hunter format. Well well time to jump into a 22. Better not spend too much. Whoops. Like every rifle ever, it got away from me a bit.

CZ 457 VPT
18.5” Area 419 Lilja
Timney Trigger at 10oz
Area 419 Bolt Knob
12” Area 419 ARCA Rail
SCAR 35 MOA Rail
ARC M10 Rings
Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 MRAD1
Anarchy Outdoors Extended Mag Release

GwEQqkt.jpg

IOwqdMt.jpg

I tested 17 kinds of ammo with the factory barrel:

1FYgIPo.jpg

While there are some good groups here, i wasn’t that impressed with 100 yard+ groups. I just happened to see a FB post about Area 419 getting the Liljas in stock last week. I had planned on shooting Midas+ but the Lilja just really liked Tenex at 50 so I have a couple bricks coming to test out. If I do stay with Midas+, it should be fine as I also had a .62” 5 shot group at 100 and a 1.18” 5 shot group at 200 with the Midas+. We’ll see if the Tenex holds at longer range.

9UCALOu.jpg

csVyV87.jpg
I'd say for hitting steel, any of those are great. As long as they're consistently hitting the same spot anyway

...at least in my n00b opinion. Someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless you're shooting benchrest

M

I'd say for hitting steel, any of those are great. As long as they're consistently hitting the same spot anyway

...at least in my n00b opinion. Someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

Unless you're shooting benchrest

M

Its the out to 300 part that is tricky. Small groups get big in a hurry ha.

It's hard to believe that mags for a 457 are THIS freaking expensive. Geez! You'd think they were made out of gold or something!

Just ordered 2 mags and an Anarchy Outdoors 3 round extension for one of them. Flush another $100 down the rabbit hole

M

Reactions: lash
Took my new Varmint MTR to the range today. I shot 150 rds of SK std +, Pistol Match, and Cx. I can’t say I’m impressed, but it’s early. Time will tell. I know it takes several hundred rds before they start shooting consistent. Hope the time and effort was worth it.
Well, after another box of Ammo, I won a club match. Now I think it has potential. Shot 4650 on 2 ARA cards with a good lot of CX in a tough wind.

Last edited:
Any lefties here? CZ just released the 457 American & Varmint models in LH configuration. Debating picking up a Varmint or waiting to see if a Precision Trainer is in the works too. Either way, I'm pretty pleased to see new LH models with threaded barrels being released. I've been waiting a long time for T1x LH's to come on the market and I think I'll be just as pleased with this.

Shot my 457 for the first time today. I think it's a hair more accurate than the BMR, but it's close.

The screws holding the rail on worked their way loose, so the last 100yd shots are suspect.

Should be a fun time shooting the thing

M

Well, after another box of Ammo, I won a club match. Now I think it has potential. Shot 4650 on 2 ARA cards with a good lot of CX in a tough wind.
It was well worth that extra box! Great effort on your part too, congratulations.
pete

Reactions: T.rich
Putting together a Xmas present and I realize that when I took the 457 action out of the donor stock, I misplaced the action lug/shim. What are its dimensions? I can get reverse engineer it, I guess.

Does the lug do anything in a full metal chassis like an MDT?

Putting together a Xmas present and I realize that when I took the 457 action out of the donor stock, I misplaced the action lug/shim. What are its dimensions? I can get reverse engineer it, I guess.

Does the lug do anything in a full metal chassis like an MDT?
Dang!
That so called lug is just a loose “key” that is way easy to lose or misplace. First time I removed my action, I put things back together without it and found it after I was done. Easy to do.

I’m not even near home for a week or so, or I’d take mine out and make a sketch for you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bwall57
That wee lug is...18mm x 12mm x 5mm.
Yes, it's Metric sizing.
Won't need to be real tough steel to make it. A wee bit of 5mm (3/16") thick mild steel would probably be fine.
Re the chassis...if the chassis has a slot for the lug then yes, bung in a lug.
Found this pic online. It's a top view and shows the rounded shape of the lug ends.
Make sure that when finished you don't make the lug too tall as the action will then bed down on the lug, and not onto the chassis. You could be safe and make your lug only ~11.5mm tall?
Lug.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A and lash
IDK, I think it's just as important. I just finished installing an xrs chassis on my 457. From what I can see the screw holes are not exact and leave a bit of room even if it is torqued down. They say turn the gun up and seat the action against the lug before tightening. I did this and could feel it seat firmly.

M
Slug barrel before cutting, but a good gunsmith would know that!

I sell quite a few .22lr rifles. The CZs are the most accurate out of the box, compared to Bergara, Christensen, Ruger, Savage, etc.
I've found that for cheap ammo the federal auto match is good to 100 yds. Sub 1" groups with about 1 in 10 rounds having a flier.
For 300 yds the Aguila 40 grain super extra is good for 4"-5" groups. 1.5"-2" at 100yds.
My go to for sub moa is RWS R50. Kinda pricey but the results speak for themselves.
457 will give voodoos a run for their $.

The AT ONE Boyds stock is a beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_101700_883~3.jpg
    IMG_20220619_101700_883~3.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20220619_101859_482~2.jpg
    IMG_20220619_101859_482~2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220619_102255_565~2.jpg
    IMG_20220619_102255_565~2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20220619_102119_416~2.jpg
    IMG_20220619_102119_416~2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 151
I sell quite a few .22lr rifles. The CZs are the most accurate out of the box, compared to Bergara, Christensen, Ruger, Savage, etc.
I've found that for cheap ammo the federal auto match is good to 100 yds. Sub 1" groups with about 1 in 10 rounds having a flier.
For 300 yds the Aguila 40 grain super extra is good for 4"-5" groups. 1.5"-2" at 100yds.
My go to for sub moa is RWS R50. Kinda pricey but the results speak for themselves.
457 will give voodoos a run for their $.

The AT ONE Boyds st
Why did you buy and sell so many CZ, did it take that many rifles to get one to shoot straight. It only took me one CZ to figure out that it would be far cheaper to order a custom 22 with exact chassis and action made by gunsmiths that know what they are doing and skip the upgrade game of a production rifle made on an assembly line. It proved to be the right decision, there is no comparison that can be made between any production rifle and a custom rifle. The B14R is one example that is currently being hyped up as the go to rifle of the year that is almost as good as a Vudoo after spending $1500 in parts and machine work to straighten the barreled action. Desert precision gun works channel shows how work must be done to fix a production unit to get close to a custom rifle. I have learned the hard way, now I only buy the best custom rifles and enjoy knowing that the weak link is the operator and not the hardware. Glad to see that the CZ are working out. They really look good.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Why did you buy and sell so many CZ, did it take that many rifles to get one to shoot straight. It only took me one CZ to figure out that it would be far cheaper to order a custom 22 with exact chassis and action made by gunsmiths that know what they are doing and skip the upgrade game of a production rifle made on an assembly line. It proved to be the right decision, there is no comparison that can be made between any production rifle and a custom rifle. The B14R is one example that is currently being hyped up as the go to rifle of the year that is almost as good as a Vudoo after spending $1500 in parts and machine work to straighten the barreled action. Desert precision gun works channel shows how work must be done to fix a production to get close to a custom rifle. I have learned the hard way, now I only buy the best custom rifles and enjoy knowing that the weak link is the operator and not the hardware. Glad to see that the CZ are working out. They really look good.
Maybe he owns a gun shop?

Why did you buy and sell so many CZ, did it take that many rifles to get one to shoot straight. It only took me one CZ to figure out that it would be far cheaper to order a custom 22 with exact chassis and action made by gunsmiths that know what they are doing and skip the upgrade game of a production rifle made on an assembly line. It proved to be the right decision, there is no comparison that can be made between any production rifle and a custom rifle. The B14R is one example that is currently being hyped up as the go to rifle of the year that is almost as good as a Vudoo after spending $1500 in parts and machine work to straighten the barreled action. Desert precision gun works channel shows how work must be done to fix a production unit to get close to a custom rifle. I have learned the hard way, now I only buy the best custom rifles and enjoy knowing that the weak link is the operator and not the hardware. Glad to see that the CZ are working out. They really look good.
lol! You spend way to much time trying to justify spending 6-7 times as much for the same results. Hey, I get that you have to justify it in your mind, but don’t think you’re really fooling anyone.

But, it’s okay and I know that you’re happy with your choice, you tell us every chance that you get. I do happen to like the custom .22s also. Who wouldn’t. Enjoy it.

I’m in the process of putting together a custom. I have a 2500X receiver and a Shilen Ratchet barrel blank. It’ll be a one trick pony though. My CZ 457 won a ARA Factory class match last night. I can just change scopes and shoot NRL22 with it. I could even hunt with it if I wanted to, but I will use my 452 American or 457 Trainer for that. I’ve also shot 2500’s in ARA Factory class with the squirrel rifle 452 American.
0FA3004E-21C0-430A-8F1A-147A17AD4C55.jpeg

I’m in the process of putting together a custom. I have a 2500X receiver and a Shilen Ratchet barrel blank. It’ll be a one trick pony though. My CZ 457 won a ARA Factory class match last night. I can just change scopes and shoot NRL22 with it. I could even hunt with it if I wanted to, but I will use my 452 American or 457 Trainer for that. I’ve also shot 2500’s in ARA Factory class with the squirrel rifle 452 American.View attachment 7895035
What is that on your scope?

I buy and sell so many because I'm a dealer, 07 FFL. They sell themselves, especially at the range around custom rifles. I shoot with quite a few guys with $2 - $3k in their rifles. They are nice but I am 1|3 their cost or better.
Those rotten CZs have been winning their fair share of matches round here against some really expensive plinkers. Usually comes down to the shooter.
300+ yds is where it's at though.

Last edited:
lol! You spend way to much time trying to justify spending 6-7 times as much for the same results. Hey, I get that you have to justify it in your mind, but don’t think you’re really fooling anyone.

But, it’s okay and I know that you’re happy with your choice, you tell us every chance that you get. I do happen to like the custom .22s also. Who wouldn’t. Enjoy it.
I agree with you. I have wasted so much time and money buying stuff after reading forums that were totally useless because the comments were fanboys justifying how good the poorly made production hardware is if you just upgrade the barrel, trigger and chassis to get the bargain bin special to perform just like a custom. It's all good, it's the journey of all hobbies from RV's to fishing, the game to buy cheap and to spend as much as you came trying to get it to work. Everyone has said, I should have bought the brand X if I only had the money. High expectations and poor results is life. That is why I always take a bucket of thunderbolt to the range when I take the Anschutz 1710 out and wonder why it doesn't meet my expectations. I was told that a better scope should get the Annie shooting straight. Upgrade will cost way money but you will never get back the years of frustration living with poor results as you lower your expectations. Have fun, aim high and don't be average.