• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Thanks guys, I couldn’t find the actual overall dimensions on the new gen 2 and was starting to confuse myself. Sounds like the medium rings should work. Much appreciated.

Good evening, not certain if this is the correct thread, let me know.
I recieved a new Lilja .22lr straight taper barrel in last week and its bolted on. Per Lilja's suggestion and my own thoughts, the head space is set to .042(measured 3 or maybe 11 times) as I prefer SK Match and have plenty.
CCI SS did not chamber, Ely Match had a couple of light strikes and a few failures to extract spent case and unfired rounds did not extract. SK match fired quite well though did not extract unfired round.
Per Lilja, this chamber does not extract certain ammo. Thought I read on the site that the new Lilja chamber did extract unfired, though as I was corrected by Lilja, it doesn't. I do not want to use a steal pick to pull out a stuck round evety time the range call a cease fire. Thoughts?

Good evening, not certain if this is the correct thread, let me know.
I recieved a new Lilja .22lr straight taper barrel in last week and its bolted on. Per Lilja's suggestion and my own thoughts, the head space is set to .042(measured 3 or maybe 11 times) as I prefer SK Match and have plenty.
CCI SS did not chamber, Ely Match had a couple of light strikes and a few failures to extract spent case and unfired rounds did not extract. SK match fired quite well though did not extract unfired round.
Per Lilja, this chamber does not extract certain ammo. Thought I read on the site that the new Lilja chamber did extract unfired, though as I was corrected by Lilja, it doesn't. I do not want to use a steal pick to pull out a stuck round evety time the range call a cease fire. Thoughts?
Use wooden dowel or very carefully a coated cleaning rod to push down barrel. My dowel is in gun case. You can't get a live round out! ( again dowel ). I'm set for Eley with .003 shims might go out .004. What shims are you using? CZ is no help they don't like aftermarket barrels. I had trouble yesterday, but I extracted like I meant it. Why do CZ barrels shoot most everything and aftermarket( Lilja and Bartlein) are very fussy. Just keep changing shims, its not that hard. I went from .008 ( don't do that )to .003. What torque barrel and stock?
Fred

SK has a narrower rim diameter than most .22lr ammunition which is why it dies not extract very well with original T Bolt rifles which have a weak extractor spring and poor extractor leverage. It will extract reliably from a Brno or CZ rifle with original barrel BUT if the Lilja barrel has a very tight chamber ... the extractor is likely to have difficulty removing a fired SK case.

Reactions: lash
Good evening,
My headspace is set to .042 and I use .008 worth of shims to get there. My action screws were torqued to 45lb in a KRG Bravo. I don't mind playing with the headspace, just that my schedule makes it tough to get to range (county park) often enough to even remember what I did that last time I was there. So every adjustment will be 2 to 3 weekends in between. Wonder what kind of looks I'll get when they call a cease fire and I jump up to ram a stick down my shiny barrel?! I guess I'll try .043 and see what that gets me. Thanks for the insights.
pete

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I did the fitting & chambering of the two Shilen barrels I have on 457 American & VPT. Set headspace at .043" IIRC, and the chambers were cut with a PTG EPS reamer, which is fairly tight (.225" dia at front & rear of chamber), and I've not had any issues with the 457 extractors pulling fired cases or un-fired SK rounds out - and that's basically all I shoot in both these rifles. Just tried loaded rounds of SK Std+ in the VPT & a couple of my V-22s - the CZ worked fine, but one of the V-22s failed to extract while the other one worked fine. Odd, since the CZ has a Shilen ratchet, while both the V-22s have Kreigers, and I fitted & chambered them all with the same EPS reamer. The V-22 that failed to extract is a sporter that's seen little or no use recently, while the other V-22 has been shot quite a bit recently while I've been working at finding the tune on it with a new Harrells' tuner. I probably should remove the extractor/pusher out of the bolt nose of the V-22 sporter and do a thorough cleaning job on it, since it was carried daily in my work truck here on the farm for several months, up until I set it aside and started carrying the 457 VPT. The sporter's bolt nose could very well be dirty from all the dust it was exposed to during the past summer months of pretty dry weather.

I am going to set the headspace to .043 and see I results are. Now just need to figure out which shim is which of the ones already on the rifle!

Regards,
pete

Good evening,
My headspace is set to .042 and I use .008 worth of shims to get there. My action screws were torqued to 45lb in a KRG Bravo. I don't mind playing with the headspace, just that my schedule makes it tough to get to range (county park) often enough to even remember what I did that last time I was there. So every adjustment will be 2 to 3 weekends in between. Wonder what kind of looks I'll get when they call a cease fire and I jump up to ram a stick down my shiny barrel?! I guess I'll try .043 and see what that gets me. Thanks for the insights.
pete
Good evening,
pete
Your depth meter was 1.234" same as mine. But I wouldn't add more shims. I was told to go down. I never called a cease fire. I just got up struck my arm out with my stick and dislodge an empty case,3 times during a match not a peep out anyone.

My range call a cease fire every 15 minutes for target changes and people leaving and coming in.
I imagine ramming a stick in the barrel three times in a match would be quite frustrating, especially with a fancy barrel.
So you didn't add any shims? You left the headspace as is?
pete

My range call a cease fire every 15 minutes for target changes and people leaving and coming in.
I imagine ramming a stick in the barrel three times in a match would be quite frustrating, especially with a fancy barrel.
So you didn't add any shims? You left the headspace as is?
pete
Started at 6 went up to 8 that was really bad. Lilija said try 3, thats where I shot yesterday. When I got home moved to 4.( left out .00).I think at .003 barrel hitting bolt face. Down that low its set for Eley, maybe RWS. It's a real pain. I'm retired but its NE, playing weather.Try 6 for SK. Good luck!!

Please tell us what actually fixes your problem with the barrel. I am thinking of getting the Lilja barrel but might just skip the hassel and just get a Gen 3 Vudoo and that works and is supported by customer service that can actually help in solving problems. It's sad to see that CZ is like all big manufactures that spend more on marketing than on providing good quality parts & customer service for their products. This is a good story that everyone needs to follow.

Please tell us what actually fixes your problem with the barrel. I am thinking of getting the Lilja barrel but might just skip the hassel and just get a Gen 3 Vudoo and that works and is supported by customer service that can actually help in solving problems. It's sad to see that CZ is like all big manufactures that spend more on marketing than on providing good quality parts & customer service for their products. This is a good story that everyone needs to follow.
That's an unfair statement. The poster has swapped out a factory barrel with aftermarket. How is his lack of stellar results the fault of CZ? It's also unfair to compare a $700 production CZ rifle with a $3700 semi custom Vudoo. CZ's are popular with shooters who want accuracy for a reason. They shoot better than their price tag suggests and are put together very well. Buy what you like but don't trash others choices to defend yours.

Last edited:
That's an unfair statement. The poster has swapped out a factory barrel with aftermarket. How is his lack of stellar results the fault of CZ? It's also unfair to compare a $700 production CZ rifle with a $3700 semi custom Vudoo. CZ's are popular with shooters who want accuracy for a reason. They shoot better than their price tag suggests and are put together very well. Buy what you kike but don't trash others choices to defend yours.
LOL

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Just keep CZ barrel. Mine shoot well, but like other people, I think I can do better.

Has anyone attached the ARCA rail to a 457 pro Varmint SR 16.5 on the Boyd’s stock. Looks like a slight arch in the stock that may cause issues ... curios if anyone’s been successful with it before I start looking at swapping chassis.
I installed a 419 ARCA Rail on my 455 Manners stock and had to do a little milling on the rear of the rail to get it to sit flat on the Manners. Easy if you have a milling machine. You can use varying thickness washers at the screw points which will be functional but the look may not suit you.

Reactions: RedDawn
I installed a 419 ARCA Rail on my 455 Manners stock and had to do a little milling on the rear of the rail to get it to sit flat on the Manners. Easy if you have a milling machine. You can use varying thickness washers at the screw points which will be functional but the look may not suit you.
I did go ahead and install the 8” on the Boyd’s stock. I think I could’ve gotten away with the 10” even tho I ran out of milled area in the rear of the stock it would’ve given me a couple inches I needed on the front end :

Attachments

• 7573C306-B887-402B-8731-DC678344F33A.jpeg
    7573C306-B887-402B-8731-DC678344F33A.jpeg
    620.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 4C8CF138-DE2E-4959-AB61-7833ADD246EF.jpeg
    4C8CF138-DE2E-4959-AB61-7833ADD246EF.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: lash
I am considering adding a 2 stage "Triggers By Scar" trigger to my 457. I have my action installed in an Oryx Chassis. According to Bill Scaramuzzo the following chassis systems will not accept his trigger:

1). MDT LSS-RF GEN CHASSIS SYSTEM, inletting may not be possible

2). CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis, can be inlet, but requires a milling machine

Has anyone installed a Scar trigger in an Oryx chassis? I am concerned becauase the Oryx chassis is made by MDT and I assume that the same inlet dimensions are used in both the MDT LSS-RF chassis and the Oryx chassis.

Re installing the action screws what is the right lb per sq in for the CZ 457 in a Boyd’s stock 20,25,30 for best results ??

I played around from 15 to 35, had best results at 27-28 front, 20 rear.

I have a buddy with one that liked a 25-25 split best.

I'd start around there and experiment a little. I was reluctant to go much higher because I felt like the wood would compress (no bedding or pillars)

It's in a KRG Bravo now.

Dave

ETA: The above refers to the At-one stock from CZ.

Reactions: RedDawn
Good evening,
pete
So, an update on the Lilija barrel on the CZ 457 22lr. in a KRG Bravo chassis.

Reset the barrel with .006 headspace. I used the .002 and .004 shims. Grub screws torqued to 45 in lbs. and action screws at 45 in. lbs. as well. Both these settings are factory recommended settings. Shot same lot of SK Rifle Match. It went well ! Bolt felt a bit smoother and definitely closed with only the typical new rifle bolt tightness if not a bit lighter, needing less effort to close. Unfired SK did not eject and I had to pull them out. Need to get a dowel! I had no light strikes and all fired rounds ejected fine. Tried some Ely Match and results were not as good groups were more open and I'm sure I pulled one as it was outside the square. Out of ten rounds, 2 light strikes and 1 would not extract. I am sticking to the SK match for now. As you can see, the day was awesome, 81 degrees, with a left to right breeze of 4 to 7 mph(someone there said it was, so I'm typing it)
Not happy with the failure to extract and the pickiness of the ammo, though the results were pretty good. All targets at 50 yards.
Will keep testing and I do appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Best regards,

pete

Attachments

• .006 lilja.jpg
    .006 lilja.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 307

Reset the barrel with .006 headspace. I used the .002 and .004 shims. Grub screws torqued to 45 in lbs. and action screws at 45 in. lbs. as well. Both these settings are factory recommended settings. Shot same lot of SK Rifle Match. It went well ! Bolt felt a bit smoother and definitely closed with only the typical new rifle bolt tightness if not a bit lighter, needing less effort to close. Unfired SK did not eject and I had to pull them out. Need to get a dowel! I had no light strikes and all fired rounds ejected fine. Tried some Ely Match and results were not as good groups were more open and I'm sure I pulled one as it was outside the square. Out of ten rounds, 2 light strikes and 1 would not extract. I am sticking to the SK match for now. As you can see, the day was awesome, 81 degrees, with a left to right breeze of 4 to 7 mph(someone there said it was, so I'm typing it)
Not happy with the failure to extract and the pickiness of the ammo, though the results were pretty good. All targets at 50 yards.
Best regards,

pete
Impressive target, Pete.

Best regards,

pete
I don't think any unfired rounds will come out. I had one today, thought it was spent pounded it with dowel wouldn't budge. I finally closed bolt and pulled trigger to a live round then came right out. That was Eley match at .004. Lot of CZ like SK ,mine doesn't . Try different lots-- spend more money. Good shooting.

I don't think any unfired rounds will come out. I had one today, thought it was spent pounded it with dowel wouldn't budge. I finally closed bolt and pulled trigger to a live round then came right out. That was Eley match at .004. Lot of CZ like SK ,mine doesn't . Try different lots-- spend more money. Good shooting.
Thank you !
I don't appreciate the inconsistency at all. For the money spent, the Lilja should not be faulting. That said, I'll be getting my own wood tomorrow. There is a youtuber that is a big fan of Lilja and shoot damn well; he has done testing with different brands and seem to shoot them all. A misfire here and there, perhaps he doesn't show the issues.

regards,

pete

Last edited:
Thank you !
I don't appreciate the inconsistency at all. For the money spent, the Lilja should not be faulting. That said, I'll be getting my own wood tomorrow. There is a youtuber that is a big fan of Lilja and shoot damn well; he has done testing with different brands and seem to shoot them all. A misfire here and there, perhaps he doesn't show the issues.

regards,

pete
Must be Josh. I enjoy his videos.

Best regards,

pete
This is my first post so I hope I don't screw it up :) ... FWIW, I put a Lilja on my 457 and had extraction issues with fired Eley Match. Ended up with "0" shims, my headspace was .039", to get the extraction resolved. I attached a photo of six - 5 round groups (50 yds). Across the top (orange pasty) are three groups of Eley Match with "1045" in the last four digits of the lot # and the second set of groups were with "1061" in the lot #. As I understand it those last four digits are a reflection of the muzzle speed tested. It is now reliably extracting the fired Eley Match. Never had a problem with the Lapua but didn't haven't found any that grouped as well. I'm sure it is a matter of finding the right lot...

Attachments

• IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 149
Thank you !

regards,

pete
Josh-IPOA, even he said you can't unload live rounds in Lilja. I watch a lot.

This is my first post so I hope I don't screw it up :) ... FWIW, I put a Lilja on my 457 and had extraction issues with fired Eley Match. Ended up with "0" shims, my headspace was .039", to get the extraction resolved. I attached a photo of six - 5 round groups (50 yds). Across the top (orange pasty) are three groups of Eley Match with "1045" in the last four digits of the lot # and the second set of groups were with "1061" in the lot #. As I understand it those last four digits are a reflection of the muzzle speed tested. It is now reliably extracting the fired Eley Match. Never had a problem with the Lapua but didn't haven't found any that grouped as well. I'm sure it is a matter of finding the right lot...
You shouldn't be able to close bolt with Lapua with that headspace .Im surprised your closing your bolt at all. My bolt recess was .038, yours might be different . I"m at .004 with Eley Match with no extraction issues. My barrel doesn't like 1077. I was advised by Lilja to start .006.

Josh-IPOA, even he said you can't unload live rounds in Lilja. I watch a lot.
Hey there, Good to know we are not the only ones. I have watched his comparison and test videos trying to see if he mentioned it, I suppose I don't watch enough.
regards,
pete

Reactions: fredfish
Most in this thread are shooting it stock from the factory. And yes, it’s possible that yours may not shoot lights out. However, from just the number of guys that shoot them stock here locally for NRL22 matches, and do well with them, I’d say you are more likely to get a good shooting match rifle for not too much money.

I shoot my VPT from a bench setup that isn’t working great for me. I’m trying everything. The good news is that I still shot a 2400 on a ARA factory card today. The gun seems to be getting better. I shot 3 different SK ammo and 2 lots of CX. The CX was best. Going back to my Randolph/Edgewood setup.

What is the initial receiver depth gauge measurement that everyone has recorded from the OEM setup, are you measuring something like 1.235" or 1.234". Has anyone measured the OEM barrel shank length to see what factory CZ headspace was set too. Has anyone compared the Lilja shank length of the OEM barrel shank?

I have also found that having a sharp edge / point on the extractor and having a negative rake angle on the hook along with making the extractor spring clip smaller solves most extraction problems. The extractor must have a good firm bite into the radius of the rim. Thx

Using a depth micrometer I got 1.234 on my 457. The shank on the OEM barrel is 1.189, giving a headspace of 0.045. The depth of the recess on my bolt is 0.039.

I shoot my VPT from a bench setup that isn’t working great for me. I’m trying everything. The good news is that I still shot a 2400 on a ARA factory card today. The gun seems to be getting better. I shot 3 different SK ammo and 2 lots of CX. The CX was best. Going back to my Randolph/Edgewood setup.
Are you weighing ammo, it does make a difference ! I weight a brick at a time no good weighting 2-3 boxes. SK is going to give you a lot of difference.

Using a depth micrometer I got 1.234 on my 457. The shank on the OEM barrel is 1.189, giving a headspace of 0.045. The depth of the recess on my bolt is 0.039.
Outstanding, I too had 1.234. The OEM shank was 1.190 = headspace of .044. and depth of the bolt recess was 0.038. So the .043" Go Gauge that is listed in the instruction and seeing that the at least two OEM barrel having the HS setup in the .044-.045 range confirms that .043 is the correct HS to shim to meet the SAAMI spec for 22LR rim thickness that is .043 -.007. The accuracy of measuring is a given at plus or minus .001. Playing around with sometime other than the .043 +/-001 range is a waste of time and probably a cause of extraction and POI issues. Using the .043 Go Gauge is the way to on this installation, its quick & accurate. It is refreshing to see the measurements and the instructions work. In addtion a sharp reprofiled extractor and stronger extractor spring clip works great to eject every cases with this barrel and the bolt operates smoothly with the correct HS. Thank you for your input, it really helped.

I have to admit, these last batch of posts are Way…way over what I’m doing with my 457. All that I know is that I can consistently engage targets anywhere from 25y to 310+y with mid priced ammo. Over and over and over. My MTR is such a nice shooter for about $700. I couldn’t ask for more from it than what it is.

The trigger, yes, the factory trigger is great, and the ergonomics of the very nice walnut (or similar) stock are perfect from me (even if just a tad short in LOP at 13.5”). For the NRL22 and PRS22 games, you couldn’t ask for a better entry-mid level rifle.

There ya’ go. The truth, as seen from my biased eyes.

Last edited:
I’ve tried it but found it to be a waste of time.
I agree, Your mileage may vary on the sorting game. What works for me is using the LRA MV3 "Send it" anti-cant level along with cleaning the chamber clean of the wax carbon build up ring every 200 rounds. Using any of the upper 25% of the ammo listed in the lab tested accurate shooter results ( https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/ ) that shows the target cards (with no video hype ) and you will be happy. I have stopped watching all of the video ammo testing done by expert video entertainers / keyboard marksman which I found to be a real waste of time and money. Time is better spent actually on the range working on technique, waiting for the green "send it led" and using wind flags or streamers to learn the wind. Every shot is done with a chronograph in real time to verify the FPS and SD that tells you the story why then POI moves. Consistent SD in the 5-12 FPS range is the magic that makes you smile. I really enjoy shooting my CZ VPT and don't mind shooting 500 -1,000 + rounds a week. It's very rewarding to get 2400 + pts on the ARA card when you beat the wind. Now that it's in the 70F I have been going two times a week and upped my ammo budget to 2500 rounds and enjoy every minute. Money well spent. The golf clubs & cart are history. Have fun!

I agree, Your mileage may vary on the sorting game. What works for me is using the LRA MV3 "Send it" anti-cant level along with cleaning the chamber clean of the wax carbon build up ring every 200 rounds. Using any of the upper 25% of the ammo listed in the lab tested accurate shooter results ( https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/ ) that shows the target cards (with no video hype ) and you will be happy. I have stopped watching all of the video ammo testing done by expert video entertainers / keyboard marksman which I found to be a real waste of time and money. Time is better spent actually on the range working on technique, waiting for the green "send it led" and using wind flags or streamers to learn the wind. Every shot is done with a chronograph in real time to verify the FPS and SD that tells you the story why then POI moves. Consistent SD in the 5-12 FPS range is the magic that makes you smile. I really enjoy shooting my CZ VPT and don't mind shooting 500 -1,000 + rounds a week. It's very rewarding to get 2400 + pts on the ARA card when you beat the wind. Now that it's in the 70F I have been going two times a week and upped my ammo budget to 2500 rounds and enjoy every minute. Money well spent. The golf clubs & cart are history. Have fun!
Where are you getting ammo for 1/2 case a week?