• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

What do you mean by that? I realize that the 10 rounders are not supplied with a rifle as purchased, but they are most certainly stock CZ mags.
That the pics I posted aren’t the stock stamped metal ones. They are machined and have been running better than the standard 10rd plastic ones.

That the pics I posted aren’t the stock stamped metal ones. They are machined and have been running better than the standard 10rd plastic ones.
Ah, okay. I missed the reference and thought you were talking about the plastic ten round mags. As I may have mentioned before, I bought a metal 10-rounds mag from cz-parts in Czech Republic and it did not fit correctly into the mag well of my stock 457 and then I was unable to get it out without taking the action out of the stock and removing the mag well.

Never even tried to shoot and see how it fed. It sits in my drawer of junk now.

That’s why I’m so interested in your metal mags.

Ah, okay. I missed the reference and thought you were talking about the plastic ten round mags. As I may have mentioned before, I bought a metal 10-rounds mag from cz-parts in Czech Republic and it did not fit correctly into the mag well of my stock 457 and then I was unable to get it out without taking the action out of the stock and removing the mag well.

Never even tried to shoot and see how it fed. It sits in my drawer of junk now.

That’s why I’m so interested in your metal mags.
I can only speak to the 10 and 13rd versions.....the 15 rds are on the way. I have tested a pair of 13rd ones in many matches without any issues and that was before the specific longer springs were used. These are dialed in.

Reactions: lash
How do these Area419 CZ457 full builds compare to a full blown Rim-X or Vudoos custom?

They seem to have some serious value.

Is the precision comparable? Reliability?

How do these Area419 CZ457 full builds compare to a full blown Rim-X or Vudoos custom?

They seem to have some serious value.

Is the precision comparable? Reliability?
For that much....I'd go DPG.

Desert Precision Gunworks.

He's got a few youtube videos. Eagle Eye Shooting......Amazing Builds.

Never heard of them before - thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Are DPG's CZ 457 builds known to be better shooters than A419?

Never heard of them before - thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Are DPG's CZ 457 builds known to be better shooters than A419?
There are few threads about Kenny's builds....I'd start there. I'm on my 4th build from him. My CZ shoots as good as my Vudoo build. DI, Modacam, and DPG in my opinion are where I'd put my money in the rimfire world at the moment. I've had 2 of the 3. I only put my DPG CZ on the PX here because my DPG Vudoo is more flexible in the REM 700 footprint. They shoot the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
Anyone having issues with a very tight bolt close on Eley ammunition on a stock CZ 457?

I put in one Eley Match in my 457 this week and the bolt close was really hard - the round shot around 4" to the right of all my other groups of RWS. That was the only one I tested.

Yep, Eley is very inconsistent in mine. SK/Lapua stuff has been much easier and more consistent.

Just got a CZ 457 Varmint and am in the process of selecting ammo for it. Is there a preferred procedure for this? Should I shoot a few hundred rounds to polish the bore before I get serious about ammo selection?

Just got a CZ 457 Varmint and am in the process of selecting ammo for it. Is there a preferred procedure for this? Should I shoot a few hundred rounds to polish the bore before I get serious about ammo selection?
My experience over the last 18 months is that my CZ457 24" varmint did not like Eley Club.
It was OK with SK Rifle Match (OK good, but not OK stellar).
Tried Hornady Varmint Express (not the copper coated version...just the plain lead, solid, round nose) and it was quite accurate (made by CCI apparently).
Then I tried Norma Tac-22 and 'bingo'.
My rifle loves it.
I only shoot indoor 25 yard rimfire benchrest and the Norma is the most accurate ammo in my rifle.
I have, in the last 3 weeks, done a bolt shim job (added 5 thou shim) and that too helped my scores. Best yet is a 100.7 which you may find hard to relate to.
Basically it's one card with 10 'targets' on it. Get dead centre on the target and it's a 10.1 score. Slightly off dead centre and it's only a 10 score (or worse).
The centre 'dot' is 1.5mm diameter.
I'm told that Eley ammo has a 2 thou thinner rim than the Norma.
If I shimmed my bolt another 2 thou tighter then 'maybe' my rifle might like Eley?
I'd say definitely try the Norma Tac-22, and the Hornady Varmint Express.
Norma is repackaged RWS I have read. So RWS Rifle Match should be fine too.
From new my rifle shot well. I don't think it's shooting 'better' now I've put about 2000 rounds through it.
Maybe I got a good barrel in the barrel lottery.

Reactions: Mainer and lash
My experience over the last 18 months is that my CZ457 24" varmint did not like Eley Club.
Tried Hornady Varmint Express (not the copper coated version...just the plain lead, solid, round nose) and it was quite accurate (made by CCI apparently).
My rifle loves it.
I only shoot indoor 25 yard rimfire benchrest and the Norma is the most accurate ammo in my rifle.
I have, in the last 3 weeks, done a bolt shim job (added 5 thou shim) and that too helped my scores. Best yet is a 100.7 which you may find hard to relate to.
Basically it's one card with 10 'targets' on it. Get dead centre on the target and it's a 10.1 score. Slightly off dead centre and it's only a 10 score (or worse).
If I shimmed my bolt another 2 thou tighter then 'maybe' my rifle might like Eley?
From new my rifle shot well. I don't think it's shooting 'better' now I've put about 2000 rounds through it.
Did you start ammo selection on a new barrel, or did you "season" the barrel with a certain number of rounds before selecting your preferred ammo?

If you started on a new barrel, have you retested any of the ammo you rejected to see if it shoots differently?

Did you start ammo selection on a new barrel, or did you "season" the barrel with a certain number of rounds before selecting your preferred ammo?

If you started on a new barrel, have you retested any of the ammo you rejected to see if it shoots differently?
Started with a new rifle.
Put 200 rounds through it just to see how it shot, and get the scope, etc sorted. Used SK Rifle Match and Eley Club. Both shot to same POA so that was OK.
Put another few 100 rounds SK and some RWS through to season the barrel (well I just used what I had and shot lots of practice rounds while I decided what front rest, rear bag, etc I wanted)...but I do clean the barrel about the 50-60 rounds mark. I'm ex military and I like a clean barrel!
Had a few fliers with the SK, and a few FTF with the Eley Club. The RWS Rifle match was fine...but then could find no more here in NZ.
The SK would shoot fine but the odd flier ruined a few targets for me. Could actually hear the difference in the 'bang' as the shot fired. So the ammo is not consistent (but what .22 ammo really is?).
The Club I sorted by doing the firing pin mod, and polishing the firing pin flat surfaces. Polished the bolt including all the little inlets, grooves, etc.
The bolt is so slick now it feels like it runs on well oiled rollers.
The Eley Club was my main ammo for just over a year but still I felt I could do better (I'm retired so I'm not into buying Tenex at nearly $NZ40 per box).
The Club was adequate for the start of my benchrest adventure (I have shot a lot of prone but got too old to get down on the floor and get back up again!).
So...enter the Norma Tac-22. Tried it, shot a 100.2, thought that's OK, and have now many times shot 100+ with the Tac-22 ammo.
Could do that now and then with Club but not target after target.
Have now sold my stock of Club, and SK ammo and just kept the Tac-22 and a few remaining boxes of RWS.
So yes, seasoned the barrel with Club and SK.
Continued shooting both up until a few months ago when the Tac-22 became available locally.
I held the Club round up beside the Tac-22 round and my eyesight tells me that the Club has a slimmer nose profile. The Tac-22 looks to be 'fatter' at the nose.
But could be 76 year old eyesight of course. I think the Tac-22 is a different profile anyway, and my rifle likes it.
Now I have used the bolt shims it's possible that the Club would be fine in my rifle (if I added another 2 thou shim maybe would help?).
I have fine tuned my gear too of course. Slicked up a Farley co-axial 2 front rest with UHMW tape and low friction grease. Made a better rear bag slider.
Little by little I am inching to that 100.10 (10 shots dead centre) and it's not all about the ammo.

My 457s nor my 455 don't like Eley at all. 3 or 4 varieties were tried and none performed well enough to even buy another box. I believe it has to do with the type of lube which is a sorta dry substance. SK ammo, with it's waxy/oily lube, is by far my choice with Standard Plus shooting well and Long Range Match shooting exceptionally well. Tac-22 and CCI SV also shoot well from all 3.

My rifle loves it.
Where did you buy the 24” Varmint from?
Ive only seen the 20” versions for sale in NZ.

Ask 10 people and you'll probably get 15 different answers... My take after competing for several years:

1. Shoot 100-200 rounds before investing in a particular ammo.
2. Consitency (and accuracy) usually tracks with price.
3. Lots vary quite a bit. Don't discount one particular ammo if you've only tested one lot of it.
4. A good lot will likely be good in any gun. A bad lot will likely be bad in any gun.
5. CZ's chambers and headspacing seems to favor SK/Lapua rims over Eley in the 3 rifles I've personally tested.

I pretty much just grab a few different lots of SK LRM and Lapua Long Range and shoot a few 10-shot groups out of each. If one lot is a clear winner, buy as much as you can afford to.

Reactions: Mainer and WileyG
I'll try some of the Tac-22. Found some on sale for $4 per box of 50. Very economical! Is this the same Tac-22 you are talking about?

Reactions: Mainer
Bought from 55Six...but sadly, business has now closed down.
Mine was the 'At-One' Varmint, but I have since sold the stock and put the action into a Oryx chassis.
Thanks, I'll look into that. How much did you manage to sell the at-one stock for?

RWS Rifle Match has been very good in my lefty CZ Varmint so as long as the weather is warm but when weather gets cold it doesn't do well at 100 yards.

Just got a CZ457 MTR and does anyone know what the spacing between the 2 front studs is?? I want to use a pic rail.
Thanks for any help.

Just got a CZ457 MTR and does anyone know what the spacing between the 2 front studs is?? I want to use a pic rail.
Thanks for any help.
I did that on mine, but be forewarned that the studs on the MTR stock are just short wood screws. The are not the typical machine screws and will likely pull out under any heavy use.
In my case, I purchased a couple T-nuts and used a Forster bit to drill the recess on the inlet side with machine cap screws to attach the rail.

Last edited:
Terry Waden is an online gun seller who has been in the business for over 20 years. He is known for providing excellent customer service and for offering a wide selection of firearms and accessories at competitive prices. He also provides helpful advice and guidance to customers who are new to gun ownership. https://www.buygunsonlinewithterry.com/

Well, doesn’t look like ol’ Terry’s gonna be selling here for long… :ROFLMAO:

I agree with Lash - T-nuts and a Forstner bit to get a firm mount of the rail, instead of the sling stud. I've got the A-419 'Bubble-rail' and the forearm under-rail. And an Atlas-clone bipod on Amazon is about $25.

I agree with Lash - T-nuts and a Forstner bit to get a firm mount of the rail, instead of the sling stud. I've got the A-419 'Bubble-rail' and the forearm under-rail. And an Atlas-clone bipod on Amazon is about $25.
The real Atlas is better especially since Kasey is a commercial supporter here on the Hide.

Preorder for the billet L3i mags is live on their website.
I highly suggest you also go with the aluminum DIP magwells......they fit much nicer than the stock plastic ones that have all cracked on my rifles.