• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Finally got time to hit the range. For all intensive purposes, this is a stock CZ457 AT-ONE with a 16.5" barrel, shooting SK Long Range Match at 50 yards. All groups are 5 shots, shooting from a bench with a bipod and rear bag.

The two groups on the right edge were the first two groups, shots 6-15 through the barrel (shots 1-5 were on another target while zeroing the scope). I didnt get a chance to take a picture of the rest of my groups, but this thing shoots. I'll be interested to see if I can pull in the fliers after pillar bedding the action.

20190817_133305.jpg

20190714_092154.jpg

Last edited:
My AT-ONE shoots great without bedding (see above groupings), but I will bed it because I think the action could be locked up tighter to the stock.

Does the AT-ONE not already have metal pillars? The MTR stock does. As well as a recoil lug at the rear of the action that's so loose I doubt it does much... But it's there.

The pillars in all the 457 stocks I've looked at are some sort of poly/plastic. I intend to drill them out and glue in aluminum pillars eventually, along with fully bedding the actions in both my American & Varmint MTR.

So I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was doing a bunch of 50 at 200 targets and was testing various Eley and SK ammo. With the Eley I had no issues whatsoever. While shooting the SK I would have at least 1 out of every 10 to 15 shots fail to eject. Has anyone else experienced this? Yes the bolt got a little dirty throughout the day but I would wipe it clean after each group of 50

I had the same problem with some CCI SV ammo I had. It wasn’t in a 457 however. I looked at the rounds and everything seemed fine. I would try another and it wouldn’t eject. I switched to a different lot of ammo and no problem. Went back to the lot I was having and issue with and it wouldn’t eject again. I tried it in a different rifle and no problem. Strange but I just figured my rifle really didn’t like that lot of ammo for whatever reason.

I shot SK & Lapua ammo exclusively in both my 457s before re-barreling them, and never had an extraction or ejection problem with either brand in either rifle. Probably haven't put 500rds through either of these rifles with their Shilen bbls yet, but cycling is still 100% reliable in both.

Are there any marks on your brass? The extractor cuts on my barrel went in too close to the bore if that makes sense. This rolled a burr slightly into the chamber which was dragging on and grabbing the case upon extraction. I removed my barrel and removed that bur from the extractor side of the barrel. Happened on both sides.

I have a failure to eject on the last round every time with my 457.

its not the last round. its usually somewhere in the middle of the mag and not consistent

Are there any marks on your brass? The extractor cuts on my barrel went in too close to the bore if that makes sense. This rolled a burr slightly into the chamber which was dragging on and grabbing the case upon extraction. I removed my barrel and removed that bur from the extractor side of the barrel. Happened on both sides.

no, no marks on my brass and extraction was fine, it was a very weak ejection and the spent case just sat on top of the mag

Just got my 457 Varmint assembled last night. I'm using a Bscar extended 25 moa scope rail, Vortex Pro series rings in low (.90 inch) rings and a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44 EBR-2C mrad scope. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to shoot it in the next few weeks. I've also installed the Yo Dave spring kit and it dropped the trigger pull weight from 3 lbs to about 1 lb measured with my Wheeler trigger gauge.
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Well, I just ordered my CZ457. I ended up just getting the Pro Varmint. My plan is to upgrade it a little at a time. I have my T1x that I use as a match rifle so this will just be a fun gun for now. Eventually it will get a Lilja barrel and an MPA chassis.

I'm anxious to see which one shoots better

The Tikka will be a hard act to follow. That rifle is pretty amazing for a stock barrel especially given the price. I’m currently having it rebarreled with a 16” bull barrel and hope it shoots as well as the factory barrel. Since I have a good gunsmith custom fitting it I’m pretty sure it will though.

I have a 457 24" Boyds At One inbound. I May wish I had ordered a shorter barrel, but have been looking for a long time so I grabbed this when available.

Looks like I need to also order...
Tapered base/rail
bolt knob
rings - recommendations (?) probably mount an Athlon Ares BTR
Trigger spring
And ammo. Not a lot of high quality ammo in my AO to try out, but will see what happens/what i can find. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Will likely have to add length, maybe height to the comb, excited to get this out to the range.

I mounted an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 on my 457 American, on a BScar 25 MOA sloped rail, with TPS TSR low rings. Resulted in having about .140" clearance between bbl & obj bell of scope. After doing some shooting with this rifle to zero the new scope (had an older Vortex Viper PST MOA sfp 6-24x50 on it), I realized I was going to want a slightly longer bolt handle knob on it. I've got something like an Area 419 knob on my 457 MTR, and don't want anything that large on this sporter, so will probably have to make something for it on the lathe.

Do some looking for some SK ammo at least to start out with - you might get lucky and find a lot# of CCI SV that shoots decently, but I honestly don't know if there's any other U.S.-made .22RF ammo that's going to consistently shoot up to the level of accuracy potential of a 'good' CZ bbl.

Reactions: ed99 and DIBBS
Dibbs, I just bought a whole bunch of the Eley Contact. It was about $4.50 a box and shot amazing in my Tikka. It shot better than either Eley Edge or Lapua Center x which is saying something. I’m hoping it will shoot well in my CZ since I ordered several thousand rounds. Now I just need to wait on my CZ to arrive. I have my scope, rail, magazines, bolt knob, trigger spring and 2 rd magazine extensions. Now I’m just holding my breath for the rifle. I’m going to see how it shoots once I get it but more than likely I will be ordering a Bartlein barrel in short order too.

So I ordered and paid in full for a 457 VPT 16.5” from my LGS on March 26. Still no word on availability. How long is too long for a factory rifle from an authorized CZ dealer? I think it’s about to bullshit level now. ALL the bells and whistles including glass and 8 kinds of ammo are waiting...

So I ordered and paid in full for a 457 VPT 16.5” from my LGS on March 26. Still no word on availability. How long is too long for a factory rifle from an authorized CZ dealer? I think it’s about to bullshit level now. ALL the bells and whistles including glass and 8 kinds of ammo are waiting...

Something isn’t right there. For starters they shouldn’t have made you pay in full with no idea when the rifle would arrive. Usually it’s just a deposit. I think I would ask for my money back and order on on Gunbroker and get it in a few days.

Seems fishy for sure, like Eoddave said usually its only a deposit for orders. I know there is a 20" for sale in the pdx right now, not the 16" but would have a rifle.

I just incorrectly assumed that paid in full cash, with receipt, would make me a more valuable customer. Only %20 was required for deposit.

There are 2 16.5's for sale on gunbroker. $1099

There are 2 16.5's for sale on gunbroker. $1099
?Brotherhood Arms. I’ve called them and confirmed they were in fact in stock and gave their number to the gun store owner when I called him.
Trying my best to give a local small business my money.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
I've heard some shooters claim that CZ's .22RF rifles are selling to a "niche market" here in the States. Maybe 20yrs ago that was the case, I dunno. But as a ffl, I was looking all over the place for a 457 Varmint MTR a few months ago, and there were none to be found at any of the distributors that I checked with. Yet, when you go to Gun Broker, they're all over the place, just like the VPT. I don't have a clue how the dealers who post all the CZs there manage to corral all the most desirable models, but they sure have them pegged. I even have a good friend who works for CZ-USA, and put in a word with him to try to find a MTR for me. With whatever amount of pull he has, we didn't get a call from K.C. until about three months after I'd finally snagged one from Lipsey's. All I know is that it must be nice to be the importer of such a popular line of RF rifles - 'niche' my a$$...

Reactions: DIBBS
How’d you add the texturing? Nice work btw.
Lookin at the Pro Varmint for my sons first 22.

Tape off area. Add light coat of marine Tex, slap it with a tongue depressor a minute or so after applying. Let it harden. Sand it to desired grip. I used Pc-7 on this one. I don’t recommend it. It’s not as good as marine Tex. Peaks fell down and it was thicker than desired.

Reactions: DIBBS
Took my new (bought last week from Mile High) 457 Pro Varmint Supressor Ready out to the range over the long weekend to do some ammo testing. Here is what I found:
I did 4, 5-shot groups of 4 different ammos.
Top row was Norma Match and averaged .62 moa
Row two was Norma Subsonic averaging 1.19 moa
Row three was Norma Tac-22 averaging 1.08 moa
Row five was SK Standard + averaging .90 moa
IMG_0512.jpg

Reactions: gunjunkie45
Took my new (bought last week from Mile High) 457 Pro Varmint Supressor Ready out to the range over the long weekend to do some ammo testing. Here is what I found:
I did 4, 5-shot groups of 4 different ammos.
Top row was Norma Match and averaged .62 moa
Row two was Norma Subsonic averaging 1.19 moa
Row three was Norma Tac-22 averaging 1.08 moa
Row five was SK Standard + averaging .90 moa
View attachment 7141514
It will tighten up after 400-500 rounds. :)

Was going to ask if you had shot a few hundred rounds through it prior to shooting groups, and a general question would be , if a load shows promise during breakin, is it likely to continue to do well after say 500 rounds. I have a vested interest, as my 457 should be arriving this week- guess I should get a base ordered and see what i have available for rings .

It will tighten up after 400-500 rounds. :)
That would be great, already happy with the performance of the Norma Match. That flier in group 1 is what kept that average from being really good. First group of the day too, so who knows.

Was going to ask if you had shot a few hundred rounds through it prior to shooting groups, and a general question would be , if a load shows promise during breakin, is it likely to continue to do well after say 500 rounds. I have a vested interest, as my 457 should be arriving this week- guess I should get a base ordered and see what i have available for rings .

I got the Area 419 base and bolt knob, both are well worth it.

Had a little fun on my property in the sticks. Took a kyl 3”-1/4” thats a 50 yard target and set it at 60 yards. Took a plate, some tin foil and 2 glow sticks and put it in front of tge kyl at an angle. Was able to barely see them through the pst 5-25 and even had to put a chunk of plywood next to the camp fire to block the light. Me snd my 2 buddys could go from big to small with only 1 miss each except my one buddy missed 2x.

This was with federal auto match and wolf. Had to dope for the change in ammo but damnit was it a blast. You couldn’t see the last two looking strait at it, you could make out the hanger but not the shot up target. Had to use tge reticle and look off to the side. It would have been easier if the reticle dimmed a lil more, but it was fun.

Took it prairie doggin, made a bunch of easy shots, my buddy nailed one at 287 yards after a couple tries, wind is a bitch at that distance and my ultralight tripod isn’t all that steady. Need an arca rail for my prs tripod.

We also went out to 200 yards on steel. My one buddy does a damn good job of calling wind, able to put a real tight group with ever changing wind direction. It was left, right and in your face pretty randomly.

Both my buddies are now looking to buy one. 24” at-one has been a phenomenal gun, ti-rant suppressor and middle of the road ammo.