• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

CZ 550 American in .308

levellinebrad

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
I am brand new to shooting anything with a scope but am a pretty happy camper today.

About a week ago, I found a used CZ 550 for sale on a local forum for a decent price and snatched it up. I started looking at scope reviews, which is how I found this forum, and ended up ordering a vortex hs t from a forum member here. It came today and I was able to mount it, bore sight it, and get off 3 shots at 100 yards before 6pm. ( I got home at 5:30 ) I have some fairly close neighbors, about 40 yds to the left of my bench and they eat around 6pm so I try to quit before then. Anyway, I am extremely happy after 3 rounds. I won't post any pics because I made one elevation change so I ended up shooting a 4" group with my 3 shots and I know for a fact that I pulled a little to the right with my last shot. add to the fact that I was rushing like crazy and may not have set my scope up 100% correctly, I am grinning from ear to ear. I realize that most of you here may scoff at my giddiness over a 4" group, well scoff away, my grin will not be diminished :D.

I would like to stretch it out to 500 yards next weekend when I go up to my dad's place. Any advice for a newb is always appreciated. Any books that I should read? I haven't shot 500yds in a long damn time. About 25 years I suppose so I am looking forward to it.

Oh, another thing, the set trigger on that cz is stupid. I have never shot a weapon with a trigger that light. Even my competition pistol has a 3.5lb pull. The trigger on the rifle feels like it is less than a pound. It seemed to go off just by me thinking about it. I think I am going to learn to like it.

pureqe6a.jpg

Semper Fi

Last edited:
Well, it's official. I suck with a rifle. I think my trigger pull is good to go based on the fact that my left to right distances were less than an inch left to right but I seem to be walking the rounds down the target. I did it at 100 yds several times and a couple of times at 300 yds. My guess is that I am pushing into the butt a little harder just before the trigger breaks. We didn't go past 500 yds yesterday and that was at at a 10" steel plate. It took me 10 rounds to get my scope dialed in but my last 10 rounds all rang the gong. All the 500 yd shots were with 145 gr wolf and everything else was 168gr fed gold match. All in all, I am pleased with the results of the rifle and scope combo but I need to do a lot work on myself.