• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ455 Chassis suggestions

Stickshift

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2018
New Jersey
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a chassis for my CZ455 Varmint and I'm looking for suggestions. I currently shoot the gun off the bench and occasionally prone at known distance targets, but some of the local ranges are starting to run NRL22-style matches, and I'd like to start shooting them next year.

On paper, KRG 455 Bravo is a good fit. It has an adjustable LOP and comb, isn't hugely expensive, and I prefer the looks and feel of a somewhat traditional stock over a pistol grip chassis.

I'm opening to other suggestions, though. Has anyone tried chassis from other manufacturers from MDT, MPA, XLR, McRees and others? How about the older KRG X-ray/Whiskey. What did you like and dislike about them? Are there any in depth reviews that I should take a look at before buying?

\Not sure what the 455 bravo is. I was looking at the 455 tacticool with the 24" barrel. I am also wondering if the longer barrel is that much better then the 16.5 barrel? Am considering doing the 22 nrl matches as well.

How bad is your OCD? I ask because there are a couple of detail things about the (lower-end) KRG products that have always bugged me.

Firstly, on the X-Ray and Bravos (to include the 455 inlets) the rear (buttstock) portion sits at a slight angle to the back-bone of the chassis. They're not loose but they do slant upwards from the end of the receiver to the buttpad. The W3 rear-ends do not do this.

Second, the front end of the 455 KRGs are hollow plastic and do show some flex, and while most all of the folks on here say that theirs' do not show any deflection in use, I didn't trust mine enough to keep it.

Now, both of the aforementioned are subjective observations and do not have any bearing on the chassis's strength or stability. If you're mega-anal about your gear, though, it'll bug the shit out of you (bugged me enough to where I replaced a Bravo rear with the $650 W3 rear).

Anyways, I have my sole remaining 455 in a MPA. I like it (light weight, super rigid, easy to fit). The inlet does place the trigger kinda high in the trigger guard so you'll need to fit a trigger shoe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickshift
@kl3309
The plastic fore end probably won't bother me, especially if there's plenty of clearance between the barrel and the stock. The fit of the rear half to the back bone is disappointing though. Is it something that can be fixed with a file?

@padom
I think the challenge will be the stock. The MDT options pump up the price quite a bit, as will most adjustable aftermarket stocks.

@kl3309
The plastic fore end probably won't bother me, especially if there's plenty of clearance between the barrel and the stock. The fit of the rear half to the back bone is disappointing though. Is it something that can be fixed with a file?

@padom
I think the challenge will be the stock. The MDT options pump up the price quite a bit, as will most adjustable aftermarket stocks.

You can install any stock you want if you dont want to buy MDT's. Gives you many options. You arent going to get into a quality chassis for cheap... your next best option is pillar bedding a Tacticool (boyds) and installing a Matthew's Fabrication adjustable cheek riser.

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
Nope, that's how they fit. It's not as obvious on the Bravo as on an XRay but it is there.

Is this visible in pictures. I have one and haven't noticed it. But then, the gun shoots so good, I can over look most things. I'm not close to my safe so can't go check it. I will check when I'm back home.

Is this visible in pictures. I have one and haven't noticed it. But then, the gun shoots so good, I can over look most things. I'm not close to my safe so can't go check it. I will check when I'm back home.

Tried to make the red line more or less parallel to the top line of the backbone:

xray-a01pm.jpg

Bravo-chassis-a01.jpg

Last edited:
I've been happy with my MPA. If you order one, pay close attention to the difference in LOP adjustments between the standard folder and non-folder.

Another vote for the KRG chassis. I have one and love it. They only way it could be improved would be if it took the same forends as the Tikka/Rem700 chassis.

I have a McRees G10 that I'm happy with. It doesn't look as modern as newer ones, if that's a concern, but the fit and finish is top notch. They also sell an Arca/RRS bolt on rail for $25 that looks interesting. Rigidalloy.com had a new one with a mag release built into the trigger guard for the same price as MDT, but it also requires you to provide the butt stock and grip. MDT should have their Black Friday sale with blems for deep discounts. All that being said, if money was no object I'd get the MPA as my first choice.

Second, the front end of the 455 KRGs are hollow plastic and do show some flex, and while most all of the folks on here say that theirs' do not show any deflection in use, I didn't trust mine enough to keep it.

I've been shooting Howa 1500's (both 223 and 308) in KRG 180-Xrays for the last two years. The 180-Xray with a Bravo rear end is what the 455 Bravo is.

I load the ever living shit out of my bipods and I've shot both rifles off all kinds of oddball positions on barricades. I've also shot them both slung up NRA style and that means a shitload of tension.

I have never had a single instance of POI shift or any other ill effect from forend flex. There is more than enough clearance to avoid any contact whatsoever.

I've been shooting Howa 1500's (both 223 and 308) in KRG 180-Xrays for the last two years. The 180-Xray with a Bravo rear end is what the 455 Bravo is.

I load the ever living shit out of my bipods and I've shot both rifles off all kinds of oddball positions on barricades. I've also shot them both slung up NRA style and that means a shitload of tension.

I have never had a single instance of POI shift or any other ill effect from forend flex. There is more than enough clearance to avoid any contact whatsoever.

Cool, the one I had (455) did have some amount of deflection so I sent it back.

My 180-Xray w Bravo rear end has been solid. The forend doesn't flex at all, and I shoot or dryfire practice with it 3-4 days a week.

I've been thinking about taking advantage of the hollow pockets in the forend, using them to add some weight so that the 455 balances and weighs more like my centerfire rifle.

Cool, the one I had (455) did have some amount of deflection so I sent it back.

I'm not saying there is no flex. I am saying it is nowhere near enough to affect function, which is the most important criteria for me above all else.

I went with the Rigid Alloy chassis. Expect it in a couple weeks. I will do a review post after I get some trigger time with it.

There's mine in a McRee's. Mlok forend so I could mount a full length Arca rail. Mpa vertical grip, and MPA foam pad on cheek piece. Very pleased with a solid folder for under $425.

20180405_193017.jpg