• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dad accidentally kills 11yo daughter on hunting trip in TX

Yeah, but the “how” is the most important part. I’d guess crossing a fence, or firearm handling while entering/exiting a blind.

Then again, maybe she was wearing an antler headband…

Yeah, but the “how” is the most important part. I’d guess crossing a fence, or firearm handling while entering/exiting a blind.

Then again, maybe she was wearing an antler headband…
Is her dad Dick Cheney?

On a serious note. This sucks.

Cant see the father leaving her alone in a stand so most likely he shot her mishandling his rifle.

Crap like this makes my stomach sick.

I have been a hunters safety and bowhunter education instructor for a little over 28 years now and always wonder how a person will shoot at something they can't clearly identify or be so careless with a loaded weapon that they put others in danger.

I have always said that I trust younger people more than the people who have handled any weapon for so long they forget how powerful and dangerous a weapon can be.

It seems like the new hunters after being properly trained, don't become complacent with a weapon until they have become part of the good ol' boys club.

I know I will sound like a dick when I state this wasn't an accident. I feel pity for the father but in no way forgive him for such an act of carelessness.

Crap like this makes my stomach sick.

I have been a hunters safety and bowhunter education instructor for a little over 28 years now and always wonder how a person will shoot at something they can't clearly identify or be so careless with a loaded weapon that they put others in danger.

I have always said that I trust younger people more than the people who have handled any weapon for so long they forget how powerful and dangerous a weapon can be.

It seems like the new hunters after being properly trained, don't become complacent with a weapon until they have become part of the good ol' boys club.

I know I will sound like a dick when I state this wasn't an accident.
Negligence, not an accident…

Had a guy and his adult sons hunt a lease next to us years ago, they were all drunks and the dad got shot in the right hip and out his left shoulder one day.

Both sons claimed he dropped his rifle and it went off, anyone that knew them thought otherwise. Obviously he was dead so couldn't testify.

Reactions: diverdon
Father's name hasn't been released yet but I have it on good authority that it's Alec Baldwin.

Awful story.

A guy we hunted with had a remington walker trigger discharge inside his truck- fired as he closed the bolt. Bullet hit the fuel line. Closest thing I’ve been to a negligent discharge.

When I was a kid several times I went hunting with someone who at some point covered me with their muzzle. Once. The world has no shortage of stupid people.

Be certain that your muzzle don't cover your kid. Yeah, I'm an asshole, but it don't suck to be me like it sucks to be him tonight.

Over 300 kids a year are willfully killed by a parent. Most likely this is a negligent situation, but sometimes it is not. Seen this stuff up front.

• Wow
Reactions: NoDopes
A guy we hunted with had a remington walker trigger discharge inside his truck- fired as he closed the bolt. Bullet hit the fuel line. Closest thing I’ve been to a negligent discharge.
Knew a guy that shot a tarantula in his truck with a 10mm while driving, killed his trans.

I looked and he took the pics down lol.

she looks like a deer shoot it , that must have been one ugly kid

head-of-roe-deer-buck-isolated-on-white-picture-id1137981732

santas-little-helper-giving-thumbs-up-sign-picture-id175211862

not sure if even camo could confuse the two enough . reminds me too much of the stories of husbands waking up with night terrors trying to choke wives to death , it was more a ploy to get out of not paying antimony .

Terrible. I have a friend who's sun was dragging his shotgun through some thick Tamarisk and it went off and killed him. Probably the saddest funerals I have ever been to.

A couple years ago a few miles from where I was hunting in Ohio a man shot his son with a crossbow. The boy was making his way to his dad's stand to join up for lunch. The man shot into some brush movement thinking it was a deer. Hit the boy in the head.
Another dumbass pointed his muzzleloader up into the air and fired it to unload it before going into the house. The bullet came down and hit an Amish girl in the head. She had left a friend's house going home. The horse took the girl home and the family found her in the buggy. She was three miles from the mans house. According to the news.
I have heard several stories of people pulling up a rifle into their stand and the rifle discharging.
Accident? No, stupidity.

We gave a fellow hunter a ride while hunting deer in the San Juan Forest in Colo. He put his 7mm. in first, muzzle resting on the floor like you normally do, gets in and proceeds to blow a hole through the floor and the right manifold. We drove it back to Texas like that and it burned a valve.

Also had a friend in grade school whose dad, returning home from a deer hunt, shot himself in the chest with an '06 when unloading the truck a couple of blocks away.

• Sad
Reactions: BLEE
One classmate lost his eye in grade school having BB gun fights.

Another was shot in the neck due to a ND of a deer rifle. He lived, has a hunk out of his neck but somehow nothing important was hit.

Another shot his toe off with a shotgun during bird season. Another ND.

I was almost shot because a hunter saw the white of my jacket liner and thought I was a deer.

Carelessness kills.

For this father I truly feel for him. The depths of what he is going through must be terrible.

Reactions: candyx
No way you live with that. Everyday every morning. No way.

In Northern Wisconsin a hunter from Chicago was getting in a tree stand during early morning hours and shot himself in the foot. Well it didn’t hurt that bad, he decided to still hunt, he got seated in the stand, passed out from loss of blood, fell out the tree, broke his collar bone, and proceeded to get hypothermia while laying on the ground. That’s when he got lucky as another hunter found him and got help. He survived.
i knew a guy that shot his sister pulling his loaded rifle out of a gun case on the kitchen table after hunting. Killed her, he never recovered, drank drano to kill himself.

Sheriff Fletcher says the father told them he thought he had spent two cartridges while in the stand and remembered loading four into the rifle. He says he ejected two near the vehicle. Then, when he went to clear the hammer, the gun went off. The sheriff says the rifle was lying in one of the seats as Daisy was getting into the truck or had already gotten in when she was shot.
So he clears the chamber by cycling the bolt twice thinking he just unloaded the remaining two rounds doesn't actually pull the bolt back to look into the chamber to confirm thinks he good to go and pulls the trigger to decock the rifle all while covering his daughter........Wow I am not going to beat this man up anymore he will have plenty of time to do that the rest of his life.

So he clears the chamber by cycling the bolt twice thinking he just unloaded the remaining two rounds doesn't actually pull the bolt back to look into the chamber to confirm thinks he good to go and pulls the trigger to decock the rifle all while covering his daughter........Wow I am not going to beat this man up anymore he will have plenty of time to do that the rest of his life.
Do we know what kind of rifle? One of the things about a lever gun that always bothered me- even as a kid- was that I had to run the cartridges through the action to unload it. All of my hunting rifles have detachable mags or hinged floor plates (except for that one marlin that never gets shot anymore).

But yeah, there is a lot of failure of adhering to the rules of firearms safety in that sequence.

Do we know what kind of rifle? One of the things about a lever gun that always bothered me- even as a kid- was that I had to run the cartridges through the action to unload it. All of my hunting rifles have detachable mags or hinged floor plates (except for that one marlin that never gets shot anymore).

But yeah, there is a lot of failure of adhering to the rules of firearms safety in that sequence.
Actually I am not sure I didn’t consider it could be a lever action, but at least with a lever action he could have slowly dropped the hammer to ”decock” it.

Im thinking some here did not see the updated version of the story.

The page says that he thought the rifle was unloaded and pulled the trigger while it was pointed at his daughter.

This is a terrible human tragedy and makes me sick and angry in many ways.

• Sad
Reactions: TicTacTex
Actually I am not sure I didn’t consider it could be a lever action.
That the rifle discharged "when he went to clear the hammer" is the tell. If the rifle was a lever gun, It's ironic or prophetic that the daughter's name was Daisy...

Having just taken my son to the range his first time Friday, I read the story. I'm extremely careful with my child and drill the safety rules into him. Every single event I've ever seen where someone got shot always had one thing in common. They ignored the most basic of gun rules.

You never EVER, have that muzzle pointed in a non safe direction, and you always ALWAYS treat a gun as if it is loaded and ready to shoot. With just those 2 rules, you will never accidentally shoot anyone. I cannot imagine what that father is going through. I also cannot imagine ever being unaware of where my rifle is pointed. Period.

This is terribly sad but totally preventable. This guy was a fucking idiot.

Based on this, the father has a habit of firearm negligence...just got lucky up til now.

The fact that is was so easily preventable, doesn't take anything away from how sad it must be for the family.

A girl... out hunting with her dad... (that's a good thing) is gone, and now they all know (at least I HOPE they know) that stupid carelessness, (not the gun itself) is what killed her.

Reactions: clcustom1911
News article said he was clearing the weapon while it was in the vehicle. Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Failure of all basic weapon safety rules.

Sadly, this kind of shit happens all the time. It's like the Remington trigger mentioned above, all those accidents happened because of stupidity and not the failure of the safety.

I can understand trusting a safety, what I can't understand is completely ignoring gun safety rules just because of a safety.

This happened when I was in 8th grade...

A dad, his son and a couple of his sons friends were down at the local storm canal shooting. At the time it was pretty common, people go out there with bb guns, 22, shotguns, from time to time you even see the police there shooting.

All was going good, everybody had a great time and walking back to the car to go home... Kid was playing with the gun spinning it like it was a is Colt SAA...BANG, Shot himself in the head.

Met the father a few years later after high school at work, he was a vendor. He could do his job well, knew his stuff but he could tell something wasn't right with him… just that perpetual sad depressed look.

Reactions: Redheeler
I’m shocked at how carelessly reckless people can be with guns. Just the simple act of checking the chamber is often neglected.

My friend Jamie was hit in the chest with a .270 when he was a boy. It’s an absolute miracle he lived. A fellow shot in his direction while hunting.

I am keeping my 2yo grandson today. I look at him and cannot even go there in my mind what that dad is going through.

I have a friend that works a gun counter and another friend that wants to open a gun store. The friend who wants to open a gun store always looks at gun counter guy and is like "what the fuck is wrong with you! you keep getting more cynical every day, its like you hate these people."

I did it once for a week before the stupidity pushed me back out to construction - and thats a tough sentence to say considering some of the stupid fucking things i have seen skilled tradesmen do....and architects.

I have a friend that works a gun counter and another friend that wants to open a gun store. The friend who wants to open a gun store always looks at gun counter guy and is like "what the fuck is wrong with you! you keep getting more cynical every day, its like you hate these people."

I did it once for a week before the stupidity pushed me back out to construction - and thats a tough sentence to say considering some of the stupid fucking things i have seen skilled tradesmen do....and architects.
I have to psyche myself up to walk into a gun store. I can't imagine working in one.

I have to psyche myself up to walk into a gun store. I can't imagine working in one.
There was a great thread on another forum about stupidest things heard at gun stores. Wish it was still active.

I go in for the surprises as much as anything. Its like wal-marting for gun guys when you don't have to deal with them and can just watch.

For example, I met an old old man at the gun store here where I sometimes hang out. He was going on about something and said he couldn't shoot real mans guns anymore because of his age and blah blah blah. Was going on about his 2000 yard shots and how he just loved him "some real mans long range shootin." and "Hit that 2000yard target the first time I did!" I had him pegged solid as some dumbass.

He tells the owner he has some guns to sell and then comes in with a shit ton of ultra-high end guns. Turns out he had been the president of some large long range club nationally and just hurt too much to continue on with it.

I bought a Sako TRG42A1 from him, and a few other things. Was interested in his .50BMG's but can't shoot them myself anymore. He left the store with $50k I think, and nothing he sold was worth less than $3k. He didn't manage to sell his $50,000 drilling though.

Exactly.

I resisted reading this article when it showed up on Fox on my phone....I'm confronted with enough ugliness in the world that I don't have to seek out more.

But, I saw it posted here and thought to take a look and see if it offered any root causes of this ND.

And yes, MOFO "thought" he unloaded his gun by cycling the bolt twice, never fucking actually checked, and the part that really pisses me off is this asshole had the gun pointed where...oh, into the cab of his truck where his daughter was...when he dropped the hammer to decock it.

Motherfucker is too fucking stupid to own a gun....he's dumb as a turnip. And I'm not worried about the life long anguish he will go thru over this....jerk off deserves it.

This ND and fatality were utterly and easily preventable by using just the basics of gun handling safety.