• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dammit! I crushed a case.

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I was neck-sizing some Winchester .308 cases with my Lee Collet Die. Last loading session I took this die apart and cleaned it. Apparently I cleaned it so well that there was no lubrication left in the die. The collet stuck in the closed position and when I raised the ram it crushed the shoulder and galled the neck. Scrap that case.

I pulled the die apart and realized what I did. I wiped some Imperial on the outside of the Collet and the inside of the body. No problems after that.

Lesson learned. When I clean the die, lube the contact points.

Re: Dammit! I crushed a case.

LoneWolf thanks for that heads up since I am going to be doing my dies later on tonight for alot of reloading this weekend. You probably saved me a case

Yep, those contact points do better with lube. I use shooter choice gun grease. Another helpful thing I do is chuck the mandrel up in a drill and polish with 0000 steel wool & Flitz. Makes the mandrel slick so it does not drag in my case necks.

Here is the link from Accurate Shooter on Collet Die Tips:

http://www.6mmbr.com/BlogJan2007.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lesson learned. When I clean the die, lube the contact points. </div></div>

Of you could use Redding comp dies with TiN coated bushings and never have to worry about lube again!

I will slowly work up to the Redding stuff.

I don't shoot benchrest and the Lee Dies seem to be doing pretty well for me. I would like to get a Redding Competition seating Die. I like how it centers the case when you seat the bullet. It would prevent me from having to rotate and re-seat like I do now.

Did it look like this?

P1040822.jpg

Meh!... that'll straighten right out when its fired...
crazy.gif

Experience is something you don't have until just AFTER you need it.

I'll bet you always check the dies now before you start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lesson learned. When I clean the die, lube the contact points. </div></div>

Of you could use Redding comp dies with TiN coated bushings and never have to worry about lube again! </div></div>

I use the regular bushings and don't have to lube when I neck size my cases.

What cartridge goes in those big ass green boxes? 50 BMG?

No, just 308 Win. in those are those huge 100 rd. MTM boxes.

Nothing in the photo is mine, except for the hand... I prefer the 50 rd Plano boxes.