• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Dan Wesson .357 Magnum

Strive4More

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Crestview, FL
Wondering if anyone on the Hide has any info on the newer vs. older (pre 1978)Dan Wesson Model 15 and 15-2 .357 magnum revolvers. Specifically will the older models accept the new CZ / Wesson barrels? I'm dying to get my hands on one of the older models due to their high quality of craftsmanship, but prefer the newer full under rib of new style barrels. I remember reading that the newer models accept the old barrels, but haven't seen the reverse. A quick Google custom search of the Hide doesnt show any info on these Wessons at all and I know there's at least one revolver aficionado here!

Re: Dan Wesson .357 Magnum

Had a four-inch 15 back in the '70s. Used a 15-2 in IHMSA in the '80s. Too long ago to recall specifics, though. Both served me well.

Just wanted to grab a piece of history while I could. As much as I love my Glock, the revolvers just have a certain asthetic appeal. Range reports from the old American handgunners in the late 70's talked of 2" groups at 50 yards and very few problems.

I own an older Dan Wesson(15-2?) 357 pistol pack, which features the 2,4,6 and 8 inch vent rib barrels. It is one 357 revolver that I have kept for over 25+ years. I can't help you with the old versus new barrel exchange question. I will say that I enjoy the versatility of having four different length barrels. It takes a little while to learn how to swap out the barrels with the provided tool.

I don't know about the older barrels fitting the new cz guns. But I will tell you one thing to look for. The cylinder locks up on the frame via a detent ball in front of the hammer. Cylinder can get worn causing it to get out of alignment. When the hammer is back check the cylinder for side to side play. You usually only see this in high round count and the 44 mags. Also make sure the barrel looks square to the frame. The threads/shoulder can be worn or damaged if the barrel has been over torqued. I have been collecting dan wesson for about 10 years now just somethings I have seen in the 30 or so I have had. Great guns try find on of the models with adjustable sites

Hey JFK dont suppose I could take that off your hands? I can see you're dying to sell it
wink.gif