• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dang Savage scope base holes

Texas_Archer

Long-time Lurker
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2009
Houston, TX
Well, I got my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in today and instantly brought it home to mount the badger 20 MOA base. WRONG, one of the four holes was screwed up bad and the screw will not go in.

Off to the gunsmith with a new gun I guess.

Re: Dang Savage scope base holes

savage will fix it for free. what is wrong with the hole? mine was gummed up with the stuff that they used to coat the 10 series with. had to buy a tap to clean out the holes. whats wrong with your 4th hole? gigitty

I get about two turns on the screw and then meet resistance and the screw starts tilting. I know its not cross-threaded (turned left till heard click and then screwed in - tried this multiple times), its not the screw, I tried all four of them. Currently, the screw is stuck in there and will not come back out (got frustrated and forced it after 30 minutes - I know).

Im going to send it to a smith anyway to have the barrel cut and threaded, I will just have them fix this also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats wrong with your 4th hole? gigitty</div></div>

Ok, I laughed!

-X

Texas_Archer, I had to do the same thing as Axeman here with my new 10FCP-K.

It's actually a fairly common thing! If the holes line up with the base all you probably need is the proper tap to clean out the threads with! I would definitely try going this route before sending it off or paying a smith a fee to do the same thing! I was amazed at the gunk that came out of the holes after chasing the threads! Just like you I could only get about 2 turns on the screw if that before cleaning them out.

If the holes are off, then that is a whole other situation, but from your description that does not sound like the case!

The crappy thing is unless you have a high quality tool store available to you, you probably will not find the correct 6-48 bottom tap you need locally! Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's in my area didn't at least.

That being said I happen to have an extra one if you want to try this first before sending the rifle off, send me a PM with your address and I will drop it in the mail to you..

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. But, since Im sending it off anyway I will just let the gunsmith deal with it.

just for info, i found my 6-48 tap on ebay. $6 shipped. but yeah, it sucked. there are pics on here. i used a regular tap as the barrel was out at the time. when i called savage to verify the 6/48 holes on the receiver, i mentioned the issue. they were not very responsive. seems so simple to just stick a few screws in there when its being coated. my action screws were bare raw steel on the tips where the threads in the receiver werent cut proper or cleaned up proper. unless you took the screws out, youd never know thought. i cleaned them up. but that and the rear edge along the radius of my receiver had a large burr on its underside all the way around. im just saying, these all seem minor, but thats three things i had to clean up. granted had i left it alone im sure none of these things would have affected anything