• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Data Harvesting - Thoughts/Experiences from People that Know More Than Me

UKDslayer

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 29, 2005
    Texas
    I get that as an older, NON Tech-Savvy person here, I have huge gaps in my knowledge on how to protect myself from all the legal and illegal data harvesting occuring these days.

Besides the obvious - using a VPN, denying inappriopriate permissions requested by multiple apps, not using FB, trying to regularly clear my history/cache/cookies, I find myself extremely vulnerable to private data harvesting because I am Tech-stupid.

That being said, I've experienced some new occurrences going on when trying to use Customer Service phone conversations to resolve matters. Besides the obvious, Customer Service consisting of at least 95% ESL, despite myself being very polite I am frequently being disconnected or transferred, required to repeat my relevant personal info. over and over to multiple customer service agents in extremely repetitive, often drawn out fashion.

Besides the private info. that who knows may be recording outside of the function of their job, I'm beginning to wonder that there are attempts being made to capture one's voice signatures, not unlike fingerprints or retinal scans, for selling and whatever other purposes. Having heard about how voice captures have been used nefariously by AI - has anyone else been concerned or experienced similar suspicious behavior potentiating this phenomena?

Last edited:
    Verizon wireless will use your voice to authenticate access to your account management if you opt in.

VPNs wont obscure you from a search warrant.

And all those services opt-in knobs and whistles in the apps just seem to find a way to turn themselves back on.

Privacy in a digital age..

strangegame.png

I'm a caveman when it comes to tech.
    I have had numerous attempts to scam me through email and phone.
    I had one from amazon today. Be very very careful. Looked legit. Double check everything.
    Went back and looked at header, and compared it to genuine Amazon email. Deleted the email.

I left one of the easily overlooked clues in the above paragraph.

Never ever give anyone who CALLS YOU any of your info. They should have your info, they dont need it, if they do, they are scamming you.

Never give Timothy Curry Breath any info, that should be obvious. I won't talk to any foreign asshole. Oh...well ok, ill talk to them, but only for amazing fun.
    I pissed a scammer off so bad Monday....it was beautiful. I played along, yeah...oh yeah, I know all about that purchase...oh yeah, yep. Gave my wife's name, I wouldn't tell him anything. "Vella, u name ees not Troodee ees it?" "Maybe, sometimes if I'm feeling sexy."
    "Ave eh nees day mudderfucca."
    Unfortunately I think he hung up before I got the last word in.
    "Fushtah!"

Me playing VanHelsing on the phone with scammers.

I received a notice from USAA that my data was compromised because THEY USED A THIRD PARTY for customer support and those CUCKS shared their credentials with nefarious fourth parties. USAA for goodness sake. It's getting close to the final straw with those people.

As far as data, I used to buy demographic data from Database USA. I gave them the geographic area I wanted and they sent me data feeds every week. I built an ACD database so I could Add new records, Change existing records with new data, and Delete expired data. They extrapolated how many people lived in the house, what the annual income was, if they had pets (and what kinds) and about 30 other data points.

All of this was years before the advent of AI (the two letter thing that means artificial intelligence). The 'They' know (and sell) more than you would feel comfortable knowing.

Imagine what the .gov alphabet boys (and girls) know about you.

To load an encrypted webpage, many times your browser will make simultaneous connections to other sites to download 3rd party fonts and content to load the page you intend to view.

Who owns access to the 3rd party fonts and content? Can they log what you are accessing from the content you pull? I bet they can, because back in the day TOR pirates would block entire Internet ranges assigned to government entities to make sure they weren't tracked. A font farm that most major website softwares are hooked into sure would make a great honey pot wouldn't it?

Many might be surprised with all the crumbs a modern Internet browsing session might leave even when on a VPN.

Reactions: Bender
    I will have a go for you, I'm a straight Software Engineer and not a security person so there are probably people here that can do better. It's obviously not possible to stop leaking all your data as everyone is outlining above, but you can reduce it (significantly). Most of the stuff I am going to list is pretty basic:

For your desktop/laptop computer:
    1. Obviously use your VPN. Try and get a company in a country in which you are not a resident.
    2. For registering any accounts - start with an email address from proton or something similar. Any suggestions of security aside, they don't require a heap of personal information to register. Obviously make sure it doesn't match your 'real life' details. Certainly don't have a google account.
    3. Install Firefox or Brave. Always browse in private mode or clear history on exit. Will stop web pages demanding your cookies etc, nothing more.
    4. No biometrics. Ever.
    5. Use Linux. It has gotten surprisingly good in useability over the last 5-10 years. Not good for tech stupid though.
    6. Not sure about ToR these days. Someone else can chime in.

For your phone:
    1. No apps. Avoid like the plague. If it can be done in a web browser, don't download the app. Will protect you from tracking SDK's. This one is really big and nearly everyone either isn't aware or forgets it. If your phone has too much more than Signal and your ballistic calculator on it you need to re-evaluate.
    2. As much as I hate to say it - iphone is probably better than 'google services' android. De-googled android is good (LuneOS), hardened de-googled android is better (GrapheneOS etc), 'proper linux based' is best. None of this is for 'Tech stupid' though.
    3. For messaging, use Signal only. Whatsapp now provides meta data to .gov. Consider Element if Signal can't do everything you need.
    4. Also use your VPN.
    5. No biometrics. EVER.

As I said, this won't entirely clean up your footprint but it will make it harder. Avoiding apps on your phone is one of the biggest priorities here.

To load an encrypted webpage, many times your browser will make simultaneous connections to other sites to download 3rd party fonts and content to load the page you intend to view.

Who owns access to the 3rd party fonts and content? Can they log what you are accessing from the content you pull? I bet they can, because back in the day TOR pirates would block entire Internet ranges assigned to government entities to make sure they weren't tracked. A font farm that most major website softwares are hooked into sure would make a great honey pot wouldn't it?

Many might be surprised with all the crumbs a modern Internet browsing session might leave even when on a VPN.

I just finished watching rabbit hole on Paramount plus tonight and it was all about this and I’ll tell you what I think I’m deleting everything. Not that I didn’t already think about it all the time anyways, it just gets you thinking how crazy this stuff is they own our thoughts

I just finished watching rabbit hole on Paramount plus tonight and it was all about this and I’ll tell you what I think I’m deleting everything. Not that I didn’t already think about it all the time anyways, it just gets you thinking how crazy this stuff is they own our thoughts

What program/documentary? Any mention about using voice recognition specifically?

Companies buy and sell you data all the time. If a company has your data (like a bank or credit card) rest assured they sold that data for profit.

But there are laws against that aren't there?

Yup and they don't give a shit.

I received a notice from USAA that my data was compromised because THEY USED A THIRD PARTY for customer support and those CUCKS shared their credentials with nefarious fourth parties. USAA for goodness sake. It's getting close to the final straw with those people.

As far as data, I used to buy demographic data from Database USA. I gave them the geographic area I wanted and they sent me data feeds every week. I built an ACD database so I could Add new records, Change existing records with new data, and Delete expired data. They extrapolated how many people lived in the house, what the annual income was, if they had pets (and what kinds) and about 30 other data points.

All of this was years before the advent of AI (the two letter thing that means artificial intelligence). The 'They' know (and sell) more than you would feel comfortable knowing.

Imagine what the .gov alphabet boys (and girls) know about you.
    The frustrating part about this is that the weak point in the whole thing is the carrier themselves (who also sells your data). You can defeat the tracking by phone manufacturer (de-googling), you can defeat the SDK trackers (by not having them on your phone) but you can't do much about the cell tower based triangulation of the phone carriers, otherwise the phone doesn't work as a phone.

This goes for the whole 'not a smartphone' thing as well.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    The frustrating part about this is that the weak point in the whole thing is the carrier themselves (who also sells your data). You can defeat the tracking by phone manufacturer (de-googling), you can defeat the SDK trackers (by not having them on your phone) but you can't do much about the cell tower based triangulation of the phone carriers, otherwise the phone doesn't work as a phone.

This goes for the whole 'not a smartphone' thing as well.
    The only real solution would be something like this:

I live in this part of the world and calling it wild doesn't begin to cover it. Your best defense is common sense and maintaining a low profile. The common sense will protect you against the run of the mill scams like IRS calls for back taxes that can only be paid with amazon gift cards, Nigerian princes who want to share their wealth, and hot babes looking for fat middle aged men like you.

Keep a low profile because you don't want to come to the attention of the wrong people. The richer you are or the richer you appear to be, the more likely you are to run into bad people who are also "capable" bad guys looking for a big score. If your talking shit on message boards the Feds or god help your an intelligence agency might decide your "interesting" enough to warrant a close look. That kind of attention isn't good, so shut up, blend in, and keep ideas the ruling elite might not like to yourself. If you do want to talk about things the government might not like do it in a campsite in the middle of the forest without any electronic devices around. Even then one of your friends still may be a Fed...

Just one fun example of how things are going. Generative AI (Chat GPT) is now being used to run chatbots in conjunction with computer generated voices. This lets the bot call people up and do a pretty convincing job of talking to them. It can take a few minutes to spot the fake if your paying attention, a distracted call center agent might take much longer to spot the fake. During those few minutes the bot might be able to steal sensitive information with it's own value (insurance card numbers) or more info to make the next attack even better. I have also seen it used to prime a phishing attack. The target gets a call that sounds good and knows the right things that in a quick minute or two lets them know that an important email is coming and the call ends (due to the fake called being in a hurry and/or called away) before the recipient has a chance to realize that the caller isn't a real person. Shortly thereafter a malicious email arrives and gets opened because the recipient is now expecting it.

The real kicker is that nobody gets to opt out. Were all on this train because the world is only getting more interconnected and digitized.

I live in this part of the world and calling it wild doesn't begin to cover it. Your best defense is common sense and maintaining a low profile. The common sense will protect you against the run of the mill scams like IRS calls for back taxes that can only be paid with amazon gift cards, Nigerian princes who want to share their wealth, and hot babes looking for fat middle aged men like you.

Keep a low profile because you don't want to come to the attention of the wrong people. The richer you are or the richer you appear to be, the more likely you are to run into bad people who are also "capable" bad guys looking for a big score. If your talking shit on message boards the Feds or god help your an intelligence agency might decide your "interesting" enough to warrant a close look. That kind of attention isn't good, so shut up, blend in, and keep ideas the ruling elite might not like to yourself. If you do want to talk about things the government might not like do it in a campsite in the middle of the forest without any electronic devices around. Even then one of your friends still may be a Fed...

Just one fun example of how things are going. Generative AI (Chat GPT) is now being used to run chatbots in conjunction with computer generated voices. This lets the bot call people up and do a pretty convincing job of talking to them. It can take a few minutes to spot the fake if your paying attention, a distracted call center agent might take much longer to spot the fake. During those few minutes the bot might be able to steal sensitive information with it's own value (insurance card numbers) or more info to make the next attack even better. I have also seen it used to prime a phishing attack. The target gets a call that sounds good and knows the right things that in a quick minute or two lets them know that an important email is coming and the call ends (due to the fake called being in a hurry and/or called away) before the recipient has a chance to realize that the caller isn't a real person. Shortly thereafter a malicious email arrives and gets opened because the recipient is now expecting it.

The real kicker is that nobody gets to opt out. Were all on this train because the world is only getting more interconnected and digitized.
    Sadly common sense is now a rare commodity. Outside of that it is fatigue or "moron in a hurry" that catches many. It is always someone's birthday or they are in fact expecting a delivery from DHL/UPS/USPS etc. so against their lizard brain screaming "NO!" they open the attachment in the email or click the obviously bad link.

Reactions: Franko
    If you have a mortgage, credit card, car loan, personal loan or any exposure to financial instruments whose debt servicing is outsourced and value is securitized and sold on then your ENTIRE life is out there amongst multiple and many parties.

You have no privacy. Your data is nearly as valuable, in aggregate, as your net worth. With GenAI the data collation, modeling and application into Large Language Models has gone from say Fast and Furious to whatever version that stupid franchise has reached in the last 30 mins.

On top of that you’ve come to one of the most scrutinized by .gov websites in the world to complain about it all.

<<slow clap>>

Sadly common sense is now a rare commodity. Outside of that it is fatigue or "moron in a hurry" that catches many. It is always someone's birthday or they are in fact expecting a delivery from DHL/UPS/USPS etc. so against their lizard brain screaming "NO!" they open the attachment in the email or click the obviously bad link.
    No matter how many communications I do or effort I spend on education there is always somebody just dying to open the email promising free shit.

I guess the good part is that I'm never going to run out of work...

I tried to tell some on here that right after the elections, and in general. Frank has warned us repeatedly. Anything you put on the net is there FOREVER.

Common sense goes a long way.

This is my theory. If you bounce around many forums like I do, you’ll notice many of them use the exact same layout and formatting as this very forum. All the buttons and icons in exactly the same place, just different fonts,colors and content. Seems very convenient? I almost guarantee without a doubt that this is not a coincidence. Very convenient for harvesting no?

This is my theory. If you bounce around many forums like I do, you’ll notice many of them use the exact same layout and formatting as this very forum. All the buttons and icons in exactly the same place, just different fonts,colors and content. Seems very convenient? I almost guarantee without a doubt that this is not a coincidence. Very convenient for harvesting no?

If you load a program that logs all connections out of your computer. You might find for the majority of websites loaded, your computer will make simultaneous connections to government registered IP ranges. Maybe not.

IP ranges can be leased out. So maybe it’s nothing but a content provider. I tested this site out of curiosity some years back and it would not do this. But many I tested would.

Don’t need warrants or cooperation from ISPs to monitor activity, if the activity is coming to you. Just sayin.

If you load a program that logs all connections out of your computer. You might find for the majority of websites loaded, your computer will make simultaneous connections to government registered IP ranges. Maybe not.

IP ranges can be leased out. So maybe it’s nothing but a content provider. I tested this site out of curiosity some years back and it would not do this. But many I tested would.

Don’t need warrants or cooperation from ISPs to monitor activity, if the activity is coming to you. Just sayin.
    Exactly. I promise that they track PM’s too. Some call bullshit on me, but I know the government literally tracks PM’s on game consoles as well. Sooo….

In the story "Nineteen Eighty-Four", Big Brother screens are installed everywhere, seeing everything that you do.

Well, they did not have to do that. We bought the units ourselves and never leave the house without them.

And, for the family who wonders why their house was burglarized, remember that you updated your Facebook from your vacation in Belize.

For those of you interested in ecclesiastical matters that want to see the connection between data harvesting, artificial intelligence and digital currency here are some enlightening videos.

These are long videos. So if you don't have time, simply let it play on your computer, iPad or iPhone and just listen as you go about your business with other things to do.

It will become next to impossible to survive and opt out of where this is going. Logic and reasoning dictates that the digital age, currency etc is unable to be secured on devices, you lose them, they get stolen, broken etc. You will be the device, provide biometrics, chip, your own QR code on your body. People look at you with confusion when you walk them through where this is going.

Privacy no longer exists unless you have somehow 'removed' yourself from the 'system'

If you have any of the below, you are not removed from the system
    Mortgage
    Credit card
    Car Loan
    Bank Account
    Brokerage account
    401k or equivalent
    Health Insurance
    Car Insurance
    retail discount programs tied to an account

Add on top of that any of your electronic devices
    Phones (just the base OS, remember that covid update your phone did to track you? what is it doing today?)
    Phone apps (endless,)
    Internet connected computers (VPN is not going to save you)
    Alexa/voice control garbage no one needs
    Smart Home devices
    any newer car (go read the TOS on your cars electronics system)

I believe any data collected on me for any reason, no matter how innocent looking it may be, will NEVER be used for good or for my benefit. I am opposed to any data collection of any sorts

I also realize this is an impossible fight unless you can 'remove' yourself from everything. Live in a cave on public land somewhere (or a tent in a city street in CA) and literally have nothing in your name.

I don't even want the local supermarket discount card tied to my real name and phone number/address or email address.

I have friends that think I am completely insane to think this way and regularly ask me

What are you worried about?
    What do you think someone or some corp or .gov is going to do with your info?
    How can his harm you?
    Why do you pay with cash so often?

I am not informed enough or smart enough to know, but what I do know is, someone will find a way to use it to their benefit and not mine, I would rather data just not be compiled/collected on me for any reason, even down to the brand of hot dogs I like to buy because I am a poor.

You can't win, fight me

Reactions: mosin46 and Bender
    Privacy no longer exists unless you have somehow 'removed' yourself from the 'system'

If you have any of the below, you are not removed from the system
    Mortgage
    Credit card
    Car Loan
    Bank Account
    Brokerage account
    401k or equivalent
    Health Insurance
    Car Insurance
    retail discount programs tied to an account

Add on top of that any of your electronic devices
    Phones (just the base OS, remember that covid update your phone did to track you? what is it doing today?)
    Phone apps (endless,)
    Internet connected computers (VPN is not going to save you)
    Alexa/voice control garbage no one needs
    Smart Home devices
    any newer car (go read the TOS on your cars electronics system)

I believe any data collected on me for any reason, no matter how innocent looking it may be, will NEVER be used for good or for my benefit. I am opposed to any data collection of any sorts

I also realize this is an impossible fight unless you can 'remove' yourself from everything. Live in a cave on public land somewhere (or a tent in a city street in CA) and literally have nothing in your name.

I don't even want the local supermarket discount card tied to my real name and phone number/address or email address.

I have friends that think I am completely insane to think this way and regularly ask me

What are you worried about?
    What do you think someone or some corp or .gov is going to do with your info?
    How can his harm you?
    Why do you pay with cash so often?

I am not informed enough or smart enough to know, but what I do know is, someone will find a way to use it to their benefit and not mine, I would rather data just not be compiled/collected on me for any reason, even down to the brand of hot dogs I like to buy because I am a poor.

You can't win, fight me
    This guy gets it.