• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Day 1, Leupold M5 Locking Turrets 6-20x

Re: Day 1, Leupold M5 Locking Turrets 6-20x

Appreciate the review of this scope...been wanting an FFP, just hard to know what to buy sometimes...so many good options.

Looking forward to the video. Sounds like it is a giant step in the right direction for Leupold.

Josh

Got to hold and look through this scope at CS Tactical yesterday. It's definitely a notch up from Leupold's 30mm scopes. The 34mm tube makes it a beast of a scope that seems ready to take some punishment. The locking turret gets a little getting use to but has good click value. Glass is clean and definitely recommend the TMR reticle. Way to go Leupold...

I picked up one of these with the TMR reticle. Now, I'm just an end user, and not even as close to as good of an end user that Lowlight is, but I got to tell you I think this scope rocks.

It's beefy and chunky. The clicks are nice and crisp, the glass seems great, the power ring is easy to turn, and the reticle is the best in my opinion. I especially like the open spot at the center of the crosshairs.

I only have one range trip with it, but just based on that trip I see another one of these in my future when funds allow.

It ships in a big beefy box with lots of foam cutouts for cushioning, comes with sunshade and scope caps, and two manuals. One manual is the scope manual, the how to. The second manual is made for guys like me who never used mil scopes before and has a bunch of charts, grids, etc to help you do the changeover from MOA to MIL.

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard was it to set the pop up rev counter? </div></div>

You don't have to set the rev counter per se, without know the guts of the system I believe it works off the zero stop ring that is on the knob.

setting the zero stop is as easy as getting your zero, taking off the knob and screwing the zero stop down until it bottoms out, and then putting your turret back on.

Thanks....With the pop up rev counter it would be hard not to know what you have dialed into the scope. Is Luepold the only manufacturer with that feature ?

I'm really surprised they went with this turret locking scheme instead of the one they used on the 1-8x scope. The latter was simple and effective. The best turret locking method I've ever seen.

Anyway, it sounds like Leupold is finally responding to end users. Good for them. Now I'll have to check have to check out this new scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really surprised they went with this turret locking scheme instead of the one they used on the 1-8x scope. The latter was simple and effective. The best turret locking method I've ever seen.

Anyway, it sounds like Leupold is finally responding to end users. Good for them. Now I'll have to check have to check out this new scope. </div></div>
I have Leupold MARK 4 ER/T 6.5-20X50 (M5) Front Focal Mil-Dot.
Another ordered now Leupold MARK 4 ER/T 6.5-20X50 (M5) H-27.
ER/T much better LR/T.

I had the chance to take this scope out and test it today. I must say, this is a big step forward for leupold. After using just about every scope brand out there, I was impressed with the glass and the turret set up, moreso than previous mark4's. I believe I will be keeping this one. I hope they make one in 8.5-25 soon.

I just checked out promotive and the only model I see with the TMR reticle is the auto locking version. For those with access to Promotive, am I missing something here?

Boner city. I've loved my 4.5-14 ERT M5 for the past year. I'm definitely interested in this new scope for the 300 winmag build I just completed. The features are awesome and the scope is sexy smooth and streamlined. Good job Leupold!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just checked out promotive and the only model I see with the TMR reticle is the auto locking version. For those with access to Promotive, am I missing something here?

</div></div>

That's the scope this thread is about, the auto locking turret. Save yourself the heartache and doubt, just order it now. You won't be disappointed once it arrives and you go shoot it.

Who gets the promotive price? How about if you are in the Army Reserves?

Thanks Echo. They have it labelled differently on the site. The other models specifically state 34mm and list it as "locking turrets," not "auto locking." The TMR version also doesn't list 34mm anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who gets the promotive price? How about if you are in the Army Reserves?</div></div> Go to their website and find out. Your answer will be yes.

We have them in stock. They are very nice scope, you can tell Leupold has stepped up their game with this one.

Mike @ CST

I'm wondering if there is room/potential for dirt to get into and underneath the push button and prevent the button from depressing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

I will address the issue of audible, gloves, but wanted to know if there was anything specific anyone wanted to see as I return to the range with it. I am shooting video of everything so let me know what you are interested in seeing and I will try to make it happen. </div></div>

Is the review on this bad boy coming around anytime soon? Pretty intrigued... but wary at the same time...

any word yet on if this will be available with more magnification, say up to 24-25 power? And reticle illumination? Im in the market right now and love this scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOD700OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This scope seems bada$$ from the reviews. Sounds like its got the right features for it's typical application. I did see this for sale on Optics planet but they don't have the right picture product description is a go for purchase!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-mark4-ert-6-5-20x50-34mm-m5-locking-adjustment-riflescope.html </div></div>

its quite a bit cheaper here, but out of stock according to the page. its almost suspect cheap.

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item...?w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOD700OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This scope seems bada$$ from the reviews. Sounds like its got the right features for it's typical application. I did see this for sale on Optics planet but they don't have the right picture product description is a go for purchase!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-mark4-ert-6-5-20x50-34mm-m5-locking-adjustment-riflescope.html </div></div>

its quite a bit cheaper here, but out of stock according to the page. its almost suspect cheap.

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item...?w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=
</div></div>
The scope at Mid West has the TMR retical and the scope at Opticsplant has the optonal Horus H-37 http://www.horusvision.com/img/h37.swf

I have been running the M5A with the Horus H-58 http://www.horusvision.com/img/h58.swf
I like this scope so much I just picked up another one for a new build.

Frank, when do we get the review?

Mike, is regular mildots available?

They don't offer it with a mildot reticle, however I am sure the Custom shop will put one in for you. Anything can be accomplished for a price.

How does the optical quality of the 34mm M5A compare to the 30mm tube with the M1 type turrets? Is there a demonstrable increase in optical quality, clarity, light transmission or anything?

I will have to agree with Frank, I have found 34mm to be better in every way too. I also believe but don't quote me that the ocular lens seems much larger than my ordinary ER/T. The 34mm model seemed to have a much better "eyebox".

Pros:
34mm tube, little stronger, more adjustment range.
Windage Stops (This surprised me as no one has mentioned this before on this model)
windage Clicks are very nice
capped windage
10 mils per rotation elevation turret
popup detent after 10 mils(2nd rev)
very solid zero stop(so easy a caveman could do it)
marked parallax ranges
Leupold includes a sunshade with this one

Cons:
Push button elevation knob (I do not like the new S&B pull up either, If scope makers are going this route I like the squeeze type on the Lupy Mark 8)
I wish they had put more ranges on the parallax turret (This Leupold is still way better than Premier's poor attempt at parallax marking)

I have also found the quality of the 34mm on this to be better than their previous 30mm scopes. Love the scope, wish they would do it with their 8.5-25 version.

btw- I've got one posted in the ForSale section

They have a 3-25X50 in the works that is a 34mm tube. It is supposed to be illuminated should be out next year. So your wish will be granted. Not sure if they are going to have the same push button locking turret or not. Talk to the tactical team at Leupold.

So this scope looks nice but at $3000 it is in s&b company along with hensoldt and premier has anybody spent much time with them side by side particularly the s&b 5-25 w/locking turrets? i love having quality american products but its gonna take sometime for me to replace a s&b with a leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this scope looks nice but at $3000 it is in s&b company along with hensoldt and premier has anybody spent much time with them side by side particularly the s&b 5-25 w/locking turrets? i love having quality american products but its gonna take sometime for me to replace a s&b with a leupold. </div></div> Shoulda joined the military then you could get discounts on Promotive, think this scope is listed well under $3000 for us.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have a 3-25X50 in the works that is a 34mm tube. It is supposed to be illuminated should be out next year. So your wish will be granted. Not sure if they are going to have the same push button locking turret or not. Talk to the tactical team at Leupold. </div></div>

Sounds like a hell of a scope.

Lowlight, will there be a Snipers Hide reveiw of this scope in the near future? Perhaps with some tannerite?
wink.gif

Any new info on this scope, good or bad? Really looking forward to reading the review!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Runamuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any new info on this scope, good or bad? Really looking forward to reading the review!</div></div>

I like it a lot pretty much my favorite Leupold in that range. I like both the 1-8x and this model

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have a 3-25X50 in the works that is a 34mm tube. It is supposed to be illuminated should be out next year. So your wish will be granted. Not sure if they are going to have the same push button locking turret or not. Talk to the tactical team at Leupold. </div></div>

this is exactly what i have been looking for

Leupold Mark 6 Scopes
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 5.56 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1, Matte, lllum. Front Focal TMR
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal CMR-W
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal TREMOR 2
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal H-58

Leupold Mark 8 Scopes
Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm (34mm) M5B1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal Mil Dot
Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm (34mm) M5B1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal H-27D
Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2, Matte, Illum. Front Focal Mil Dot
Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2, Matte, Illum. Front Focal H-58

These are the new ones from Leupold for 2012 as posted by Optics Talk. The Tactical line up looks like its getting interesting from Leupold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold Mark 6 Scopes
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 5.56 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1, Matte, lllum. Front Focal TMR
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal CMR-W
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal TREMOR 2
Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2, Matte, Front Focal H-58

Leupold Mark 8 Scopes
Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm (34mm) M5B1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal Mil Dot
Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x24mm (34mm) M5B1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal H-27D
Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2, Matte, Illum. Front Focal Mil Dot
Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2, Matte, Illum. Front Focal H-58

These are the new ones from Leupold for 2012 as posted by Optics Talk. The Tactical line up looks like its getting interesting from Leupold </div></div>

Any word on pricing or at least something close? With the way the M5 with locking turrets is priced I can't imagine the 3.5-25's being very far from the 3k mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any word on pricing or at least something close? With the way the M5 with locking turrets is priced I can't imagine the 3.5-25's being very far from the 3k mark.</div></div>
No kidding...
I'm excited though. I'm not usually excited for Leupold AT ALL, but this time I am. Good job Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any word on pricing or at least something close? With the way the M5 with locking turrets is priced I can't imagine the 3.5-25's being very far from the 3k mark.</div></div>
No kidding...
I'm excited though. I'm not usually excited for Leupold AT ALL, but this time I am. Good job Leupold. </div></div>

Agreed.

I'm anxious to see the review when these new ones come out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18 power is the highest mag? i dont like that at all. </div></div>

18 is the high power on the MK 6 series, The Mk 8 series is 25