• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Days like this make me feel that money isn't everything

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Left Boston at 6 PM EST for LA...Land at 9:40 PM PST
    Leave LA at 11:55 PM for Hong Kong....15.5 hour flight....land at 7:30 AM HK Time
    Leave Hong Kong at 8:30 AM HK Time for Shanghai....Land at 11:30 AM Shanghai Time
    Visiting several suppliers in 4 different areas over 5 days...
    Leave for LA on 12/9
    Work in LA until 12/14
    Go home 12/15

Fuck me...I hate being away from wife and kids for this long....sometimes I am wanting to be a greeter at Home Depot. My wife is like see you in two weeks honey. She is used to saving a bunch. I told her I am buying a new scope when I return. She says BS...when you buy anything, you review it to death. You haven't been reviewing anything. All you do is talk politics in the Bear Pit.

Leave LA at 11:55 PM for Hong Kong....15.5 hour flight....land at 7:30 AM HK Time
    Leave Hong Kong at 8:30 AM HK Time for Shanghai....Land at 11:30 AM Shanghai Time
    Leave for LA on 12/9
    Work in LA until 12/14
    Go home 12/15

Fuck me...I hate being away from wife and kids for this long....sometimes I am wanting to be a greeter at Home Depot. My wife is like see you in two weeks honey. She is used to saving a bunch. I told her I am buying a new scope when I return. She says BS...when you buy anything, you review it to death. You haven't been reviewing anything. All you do is talk politics in the Bear Pit.

I feel your pain. I used to do the Asia trips quite frequently. They are quite tiring for you and the family. Fortunately, those days are behind me, at least while I'm in my current assignment. Stay safe and enjoy the cuisine, including the spicy beef tendons, jellyfish, & chicken foot soup! I just added a photo of a memorable dinner from my last trip to Shanghai.
    IMG-20170309-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Barneybdb
    I feel your pain. I used to do the Asia trips quite frequently. They are quite tiring for you and the family. Fortunately, those days are behind me, at least while I'm in my current assignment. Stay safe and enjoy the cuisine, including the spicy beef tendons, jellyfish, & chicken foot soup! I just added a photo of a memorable dinner from my last trip to Shanghai.View attachment 6978671
    That now comes in soup form.

1543629895416.jpeg

I feel your pain. I used to do the Asia trips quite frequently. They are quite tiring for you and the family. Fortunately, those days are behind me, at least while I'm in my current assignment. Stay safe and enjoy the cuisine, including the spicy beef tendons, jellyfish, & chicken foot soup! I just added a photo of a memorable dinner from my last trip to Shanghai.View attachment 6978671

Ive seen it all in Asia. Been all over China, Korea, Vietnam, Japan....

My last trip to Asia was 6 years ago. I really don't miss the journey, especially, now that I live on the East Coast. I started this gig a couple of months ago. Being that it was working for my old boss, none of this comes at a surprise. My wife tells me to stop bitching. When I am not traveling, I work from home. I am home 15-22 days a month.

College is coming for 3 kids...Need to greenbacks and the wife will finally start working. She gets her BS Nursing in another year

Reactions: Bender
    I actually liked visiting Singapore, Japan & Korea and grew to enjoy some of the food there. Thailand was not too bad, but my least favorite countries to visit were Indonesia & Malaysia.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    If you wind up back in HK and can figure out how to get a day or two to spare, you should try heading out into the back country & explore around. Lots of fun and scenery.

If you like roughing it a bit in a more "earth friendly" type arrangement, let me know and I'll send you the details of a friend that runs an earth camp there.

I actually liked visiting Singapore, Japan & Korea and grew to enjoy some of the food there. Thailand was not too bad, but my least favorite countries to visit were Indonesia & Malaysia.
    Never been to Indonesia or Malaysia.

Not a big fan of Thailand. Traveled there a lot when we had a factory there. Food was really good in Thailand. My favorite Asian food was in Vietnam followed by Thailand then by Korea then Japan. China is dead last

Noodles are the least of my problems...Some of the indigenous food in the small towns where the factories are located is unique.

So is TP in the bathrooms hence the fact I carry it in my briefcase....LOL
    It’s good to have your briefs in order!
    Safe travels!

Reactions: Nik H
    @candyx I would not know about tube steak, I will ask your significant other........... @Bender you name says something witty here.......... that was lame and a lie.

Dude you set yourself up with that line, it was hard to pass on . Go to the the range tomorrow and you'll feel right as rain, just don't tell your going to shoot a 22.

Reactions: Prebanpaul
    3.5 million air miles and counting, hate it.

Damn Jerry...that is worse than me. I am about a 0.5 to a million miles behind you. I haven't had to travel hard for the last two years. It was a nice break but I guess it is over while I am doing this....

Today was a fluke...Usually, these trips are better planned but this company is a startup, growing too fast and bites off more than it can chew. Therefore, a shit show has developed at our suppliers in China that needs some cleaning so to speak.

At least I can get some decent sleep in the lie flat bed...LOL

Leave for LA on 12/9
    Work in LA until 12/14
    Go home 12/15

What exactly do you do?

Noodles are the least of my problems...Some of the indigenous food in the small towns where the factories are located is unique.

So is TP in the bathrooms hence the fact I carry it in my briefcase....LOL
    TP ? Why do you carry Tactical Paper ? ?

I just laugh at the Official Map of Shanghai having a 30 minute delivery of a Pretty Girl Massage..... I laugh at the literal Chinese Red Lights.... head on a swivel time at those.

And then... if you are a white dude in Factory 47 complex (Beijing) walking the shops and gallerys; you may find yourself surrounded by photographers taking pictures that one day find it to a billboard for some product.

I will go back to Japan one day... I like it there.

Like someone said previously, enjoy it if possible, and then sit back and laugh about 10 yrs later.

I remember trips like yours (shudder), and while being the "fix'er" that everyone calls on is a nice ego boost, it does get old after awhile. These days I get paid, more to think, and less to travel, which as I get older, I find much easier on the mind and body. At least these days the seats lay down flat (I hated those fucking half reclining seats that were always designed for some short ass 5' 8" guy; that stupid foot rest always left my knees aching from my legs being twisted for too long while sleeping).

Safe travels, and best wishes.

As time goes by, the day to day BS of work/travel fades quickly. Just save/invest as much as you can now so you can reap the rewards down the road.

View attachment 6979216
    Welcome to HK and I am not getting internet blocked

I have to say that these airports put ours to shame

HK still runs on a slightly less oppressive regime system thanks to the handover treaty with the UK
    Enjoy till 2048 when full on oppression comes online like the rest of China.

The current HK airport is really nice big & easy for everyone.
    A going away present from the British to the Chinese.

I still remember the good old fun of Kai Tak airport... that was a crazy airport to land a big 747 in... over the hills, skim the buildings and land on a dime and try not to wind up in the ocean at the end of the runway:

I will say one of the most interesting differences is how much nicer for the most part they treat visitors as compared to good old paranoid USA.
    Same with some of the better foreign airlines, they make USA based carries look like Nazi cattle cars staffed by heel clicking sadists by comparison.

Lantau Island that the airport is part of is amazingly beautiful with lots of great places to hike and visit.

So we just landed in Shanghai

Was told that all foreigners now have to have biometric data collected as part of the entry process. If you refuse, you are denied entry. I’ll have to see what exactly they will do

HK still runs on a slightly less oppressive regime system thanks to the handover treaty with the UK
    Enjoy till 2048 when full on oppression comes online like the rest of China.

The current HK airport is really nice big & easy for everyone.
    A going away present from the British to the Chinese.

I still remember the good old fun of Kai Tak airport... that was a crazy airport to land a big 747 in... over the hills, skim the buildings and land on a dime and try not to wind up in the ocean at the end of the runway:

I will say one of the most interesting differences is how much nicer for the most part they treat visitors as compared to good old paranoid USA.
    Same with some of the better foreign airlines, they make USA based carries look like Nazi cattle cars staffed by heel clicking sadists by comparison.

Lantau Island that the airport is part of is amazingly beautiful with lots of great places to hike and visit.

Completely Orient ignorant. But, just went through the Zagreb, Croatia airport in September. The most beautiful, modern, up to date and friendly airport I have ever been in. Praha is actually pretty civilized too....

Completely Orient ignorant. But, just went through the Zagreb, Croatia airport in September. The most beautiful, modern, up to date and friendly airport I have ever been in. Praha is actually pretty civilized too....

Spending some time visiting Eastern Europe is on my list of things to get done when I have spare time.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Spending some time visiting Eastern Europe is on my list of things to get done when I have spare time.
    I’ll save you some time/money.....start with Pula, Split, Hvar and Vis in Croatia/the Adriatic. Go there first. It’s all good, but those places are just magnificant.
    We’re set up to go to Greece and western Turkey in May.....Giddy.....really looking forward to it.

I’ll save you some time/money.....start with Pula, Split, Hvar and Vis in Croatia/the Adriatic. Go there first. It’s all good, but those places are just magnificant.
    We’re set up to go to Greece and western Turkey in May.....Giddy.....really looking forward to it.
    Let me know where you are planning to go in Greece. I may be able to offer some interesting places where there are no tourists.

I love Eastern Europe but haven’t seen a lot of it. I have traveled to

Hungary
    Estonia
    Czech Republic
    Slovenia
    Romania

Sounds like a lot but trips were short so didn’t see much. Estonian women are simply the most beautiful on the planet

Full digital scan of finger and thumb prints for both hands plus a facial scan used to compare to your passport.

Sad we don’t do that here with people that come over. Hell I’d implant or tracker or have people assigned to someone. Could be an average Joe. Of Cesar doesn’t leave when he is supposed to then you are responsible for him. He don’t show, you go to prison lol.

Money isnt everything. Im perfectly content with my job here in the local oil patch. I could make a lot more money out west/traveling, but that isnt for me. I like being home. I have a lot of flexibility where I am now. I can come/go as I please.

Money isnt everything. Make a living, but dont work your life away.

Why would you take that routing... thats just an ass kicker...

As much as I HATE United, they do a non stop Shanghai out of Newark last I checked.

Shit AA does non stop Shanghai out of DFW...

Ive been to Hong Kong a bunch and Shanghai a few times... no matter how you get over there its an ass kicker, but the less pain you can make it the better. When I went to HK in September I bought a non stop out of DFW that was twice as expensive as going to LAX first, but I didnt want to deal with LAX on both sides of the trip.