• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daytona 500 Weekend

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So who is looking good so far:

Stewart, staying near the top.
    Johnson, if they can keep Knaus out of trouble
    Edwards, starting off well
    Kenseth, not a Roush fan but the crew there looks good

A dark horse underdogs looking good :

Marcos Ambrose, has been up front all week

Questions,

Can Jr keep outta the wrecks,

Danica, I dont' care what you say, I like the story line.
    smile.gif

Re: Daytona 500 Weekend

Look out for #3 coming back. Childress Racing will be debuting the Advocare car at Daytona. Hoping for good things to happen!

+1 for Tony!
    The Roush Fords look strong,and wouldn't it be great for Mark Martin or Jeff Burton to pull it off!
    Kyle Busch is always dangerous, and Dale Jr. is the sentimental favorite. Ambrose would be cool also.
    Ms. Patrick still has a lot of learning to do.
    Question is, if the weather is hot, will any of the good cars be running at the end. All the steam kettles in the qualifiers didn't make it look good for 500 miles! Enjoy!

Heard the weather on Nascar Sirius,

Might be a bit dicey come Sunday for, right now 40% chance of rain, with some cooler temps starting tomorrow, maybe an evening shower to wash the rubber off the track.

I miss being 30 mins from Daytona, New Smyrna beach and Titusville. Spring break, bike week, motocross, Rolex 24 hr, bikinis everywhere, the fishing and the seafood... Dammit man

Ryan Newman or Jeff Burton, got to pull for both of them. Have family that works for both. One is Newmans motor home driver, and the other is Burtons nanny.

The super speedways are always a coin toss. As often as not the best cars don't
    win. Stewarts record at the track makes him the odds on favorite. imho.

All the Hendrick equipment will be running great, though I may be a bit biased. It's all about not wrecking, which Kyle Busch seems to have a handle on so far.

I'd like to see Gordon or junior get the W but it'll probably come down to a couple attempts at the Green,White, Checkered finish and I don't know if either one could handle it.

Yea will see if the honey badger channels the wall, another John Andretti in the
    making?

Steam kettles is right. NASCAR really wanted to break up the two car rocket ships so bad they've gotten them to where they're ready to melt down after they're hooked up for more than a lap or so.

Just checked the radar at 9 EST and it doesn't look good for today's race.
    Pretty much steady rain all day and that means racing tomorrow on a green track.
    As both clubs I shoot at, have shoots on the weekends, and it's take a number, I guess it's more reloading today and shoot tomorrow morning before the race. Bummed out.

Want proof NASCAR hates its fans? Michael waltrip in the booth with his idiot brother!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WV shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want proof NASCAR hates its fans? Michael waltrip in the booth with his idiot brother! </div></div>

I like Sunny-D.

Sunny D. I hadn't heard that one before. Boogity boogity.
    smile.gif

D. W. is all right by me, except for the Boogity-Boogity crap.
    Michael was never a favorite of mine even when he drove for Dale Sr.
    But I think your both right, you won't see either of them at the next Mensa Society meeting. But I wouldn't mind trading places with them for a while. Get to check out, and drive some of that iron!

We were diggin' hard, driving back home from Disney, checkin' NASCAR Sirius on the way. Would have missed it all if the rain hadn't intervened. Now it's lookin' like the Monday start <span style="text-decoration: line-through">might be</span> is on a rain delay too. Must have been a continuous succession of talking heads and vintage video to fill the dead airtime... Borrrrinnnngggg!

Gordon/Johnson/Hendrick fan. Want to see Kahne do some interesting things, too. Gonna miss Mark Martin from Hendrick, but he'll still be out there in the pack for most races, so that's OK. Junior's OK, but I think he's been behind the curve for way too long now. He either performs this year, or I doubt there'll be another year for him at Hendrick's.

Kyle's some driver, no lie; but he's been tapdancing along the line for expulsion for way too long. I seriously doubt he'll make it through a complete 2012 season. It's all fun and games until the sponsors pull their backing, and he's already been there once already. Doubt there'll be a third chance.

NASCAR is the only televised sport that can hold my attention for a full event. Too bad the economy sucks, things could be a lot better around the garages, etc.

Greg

RACE DAY!!

ha. Good comments here. Some thoughts of mine:

-Kurt is closer to losing out on sponsership than Kyle. He has a bad attitude. Never knew it till the end of last season. Used to be a Kryle fan until he started racing for Toyota. Super Lame.

-Stewart is good at this track, just not at the 500. He is 0-17 in this race. I dont see that changing anytime soon. Too big of a crap shoot.

-First rainout in the 54 year history is kinda fun. Makes teh anticipation all the exciting, but may lose some interest from the casual fan, but I love night racing.

-My favorite driver, Regan Smith #78, is starting 6th and is my dark horse to win. He is sponsered by Furniture Row, and is the only full time race team not based in N CArolina. Based right here in good ol Denver, Colorado. He has one victory under his belt, last year, and this year I see promising things happening. He has placed better and better each year he has raced. For you die-hards fans, he was the guy that went below the yellow at Talledega a few years ago to beat Stewart, but got penalized for it, giving smoke the win. Super lame ruling in my opinion, but such is life. That was the year before he came to Furniture Row. Furniture Row's old driver was Front Row Joe (Nemmechek), known for his qualifying. Even though I was sad to see him leave, I was glad they landed someone like Regan.

Here are some pics from their race shop, where I have worked in the past (construction/additions/remodel). They use Hendrix power plants now, but they used to build their own engine. 100k per race motor (and they use new ones each race.) Hendrix can get an extra 60 horsepower out of their motors than Furniture Row was ever able to. Fun fact:

The car that won last year
    2d812qf.jpg

The trophy
    303agzt.jpg

Cant find any of my other pics now.
    _D

D Tros, I think Stewart has won more races at this track that just about anyone
    Except Dale Sr. 17 vs 34. Just not the 500. Just like Dale his turns coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">D Tros, I think Stewart has won more races at this track that just about anyone
    Except Dale Sr. 17 vs 34. Just not the 500. Just like Dale his turns coming. </div></div>

Yea, thats what I was trying to say. If I had to bet, I would say he will someday, I just dont think it will be today.

Should be a good race though!!

Gotta go with JR always have and always will. If he's not in it at the end then I will be rooting for Harvick and Stewart.

Hope I can stay up and catch it all and not be dead at work tomorrow!

I am glad Jeff Burton is strong so far. I won't feel bad if Tony gets a 500 win.

Oh yeah. They need to quit blaming Sadder and actually watch the replays. Jimmy went up the track and put himself in a bad spot.

Yes he did, when Jimmy went up the track half a car width. That's just close racing.

That's crazy, never seen that before. Hope the driver of the truck is ok.

I wouldn't care if Blaney took the money, I would just hate to see it end like this.

Wow, just wow. Looked like JPM limped going away, hope they are all ok.

I would hate for it to end like this too. The 500 needs to end with a checkered flag...period.

Just saw that at a bar. I was busy coining a friend to get a free drink and I looked up and things were exploding.

Hope you got the free drink. If this thing goes green I predict many more yellows.

Nobody goes to see the racing, its the crashes
    smile.gif
    I was at Charlotte motor speedway a long time ago when one guy had the biggest lead in track history at about 30 car lengths. He was going to win the Winston Cup (back when the race was called that) and his motor blew. He slowly drifted to the bottom going through turn 3 on the final lap as the entire field passed him. Had to be the worst feeling ever for that driver.

EDIT: And the crashes deliver! Love the way the dirt flies when they kit the infield.

The pack may be back but this is killer for the owners. I just cannot say I am a big fan of the current rule package. I hope Nacsar gives the teams just a bit more rear downforce. Square the spoiler back off and I think they would be more drivable.

Montoya hitting the jet dryer...priceless!

Nobody could make a move from the outside lane. If you're leading at the bottom, you're not going to get passed.

29 didn't have the horsepower this go-around. Good finish though.

I watched as far as the fire, then waited..., and waited..., and...

Sometime past 11 Eastern my eyelidss got too heavy and I <span style="text-decoration: line-through">bolted</span> stumbled upstairs to bed.

Never, ever spent so much extra time being bored by any preceding Daytona 500; not even that time when the paving turned into weeping potholes. Last one, maybe?

If this is the path the new rules are dictating, NASCAR is circling the drain, IMHO.

I am getting tired of watching coookie-cutter cars, as identical as possible except for some minor appearance variations and mildly varied scripted powerplants being deliberately hobbled beneath a smothering mound of rules, unable to get away from the pack and intentionally prone to spectacular wrecks. Seriously, I can watch that sort of crap down at the local watering hole at closing time most Saturday nights, live and in-person.

For example, I watched NASCAR rules that crippled the cooling systems destroy my favorite driver's (Jeffie's) engine. Sure, other drvers managed to keep their engines intact, but when a driver has a choice of trying to run fast but can't because some rules mongering backstage despots have meddled that option into oblivion, and dying of tedious, unending frustration within a contrived dense pack, the sport has become something other than a sport.

...And those repeated in-car clips of Danica riding the thunder with her hands up in the air...; priceless! Danica (jump to quick shot of crossed green arms...) Patrick; that image will be with me always! Lovely looking and genuinely talented; but she still has a lot of work cut out for her.

In NASCAR, the wrecks are not accidents; they are the intentionally inevitible outcome of the rules. Million of dollars worth of cars get shredded and/or compacted at each event (I have trouble using the word 'race'...). If the owners had a real pair between them, they'd tell Shelton and his cronies to go play in de briar patch wid de tar baby (There's a lot of original humor (wisdom?) lurking within <span style="font-style: italic">Uncle Remus</span>).

Racing? Maybe...

Contrived? Youbetcha!

Unless this changes, I may could be looking seriously for a different weekend passtime. I hate listening to myself saying this stuff. I <span style="font-style: italic">used</span> to enjoy watching NASCAR; but watching it last night was too long on boredom and talking heads, and too short on actual racing enjoyment. This Daytona 500 was an outright disaster. That's an opinion, just mine.

But <span style="font-style: italic">Castle</span> and those <span style="font-style: italic">The Mentalist</span> reruns were pretty good, checking back with Da..., Da..., Daytona(!) during the commercial breaks. Hey, NASCAR (and Fox Sports...); are you getting any of this? NASCAR Advertisers, maybe...?

Greg