• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DBM info needed please

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys something is FUBAR with my current OEM mag well on my R700 .308 PSS short action. The bastard is just fucked and is currently single fed. So I want to replace the whole bottom metal unit with a DBM.

The stock I have is the factory PSS stock (I think it's from HS precision???) I don't want to drop a ton of cash but I want it done right as this gun will no doubt be in the family for a very long time. I was looking at Midway and found 'Wyatt's Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly'

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=350100

Does anybody have any experience with this and what kind of in-letting would it require, if any on this stock?

Sorry for the newb type questions, I searched and searched and found nothing.

Re: DBM info needed please

Issue I see with Wyatt's is that it uses their mag, all other use AICS and AICS clones which there are tons of. Say you go to a match and forget your mags, I'm sure someone will have a couple to loan you if it's AICS.

Talk to Hooper, APA, HateCA or CDI, they all make their own metal and do inletting for it as well for a reasonable fee. Then you can have some nice BM that takes an AICS mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Issue I see with Wyatt's is that it uses their mag, all other use AICS and AICS clones which there are tons of. Say you go to a match and forget your mags, I'm sure someone will have a couple to loan you if it's AICS.

Talk to Hooper, APA, HateCA or CDI, they all make their own metal and do inletting for it as well for a reasonable fee. Then you can have some nice BM that takes an AICS mag. </div></div>

Thanks Jason, I just sent off an email to CDI, I'll hit up HateCA (haven't seen him around here for a while?) and the others as well. Is the Badger BM AICS compatible? Thanks J!

Yes, I think Badger was the original AICS compatible BM maker, but I'm not sure they are doing stock inletting. You also mentioned cost and Badger is more expensive than the others I listed.

If you're still interested in the Wyatt system there are some advantages. 1st is cost, (BTW you can get a better deal @ stockys). Second, pretty much a drop in to HS precision or a B&C. Not as good as Badger etc., but good enough for range / match use. I am running Wyatt DBM now, got about 1K thru my SPS -T since I converted, no complaints.

007-4.jpg

Wyatt's is almost a drop in fit. Hs precision makes their own drop in system as well. Both use their own mags. CDI and Hooper both inlet for their own systems and use AICS mags. CDI and Hooper charge $60 for inletting. I chose Hooper for mine, he answers his PM's daily, sometimes twice a day and is really personable and easy to work with. Pick whoever's design you prefer and proceed accordingly.

Why not troubleshoot the mag system you already have? Pull the action from the stock and the mag assembly is pretty simple. There's a metal sleeve that sits between the action and bottom metal that acts like the sides of the 'magazine' and the latch on the bottom metal has a folded metal spring attached to the follower.

Figure out whats jacked up in there, fixing that will be a lot cheaper and easier than converting to DBM. Then you can convert to a better system in the future if you so choose.

Take a look at the HS Precision DM system. Cheaper than most, and very well made. I literally just sold a brand new one this morning.

They also don't require significant inletting. Installation is ALMOST drop-in.

If it's a rifle that "Will be in the family a long time" and you are committed to the H-S precision stock (a fine stock); then make the investment in a great feed system. The Badger or similar DBM Metal are rock solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not troubleshoot the mag system you already have? Pull the action from the stock and the mag assembly is pretty simple. There's a metal sleeve that sits between the action and bottom metal that acts like the sides of the 'magazine' and the latch on the bottom metal has a folded metal spring attached to the follower.

Figure out whats jacked up in there, fixing that will be a lot cheaper and easier than converting to DBM. Then you can convert to a better system in the future if you so choose. </div></div>

I should have been more clear, the one that I have that's messed up is the factory setup with the flimsy spring and isn't a DBM. It's just not worth messing with the metal shield in the well is wacked out

I just had Jeff @ CDI do a AICS DBM on my T3 Tac. He communicated very well, did a great job on the inlet, and got it back to me in a very short turn around time (couple of weeks). All these guys you mention are likely at SHOT this week and you should be patient about getting replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had Jeff @ CDI do a AICS DBM on my T3 Tac. He communicated very well, did a great job on the inlet, and got it back to me in a very short turn around time (couple of weeks). All these guys you mention are likely at SHOT this week and you should be patient about getting replies.
</div></div>
+1 for CDI. Jeff has answered me promptly and even gave me a few tips to same some money. I will be buying some of his bottom metal soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had Jeff @ CDI do a AICS DBM on my T3 Tac. He communicated very well, did a great job on the inlet, and got it back to me in a very short turn around time (couple of weeks). All these guys you mention are likely at SHOT this week and you should be patient about getting replies.
</div></div>

Oh LOL good point thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacshooter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had Jeff @ CDI do a AICS DBM on my T3 Tac. He communicated very well, did a great job on the inlet, and got it back to me in a very short turn around time (couple of weeks). All these guys you mention are likely at SHOT this week and you should be patient about getting replies.
</div></div>
+1 for CDI. Jeff has answered me promptly and even gave me a few tips to same some money. I will be buying some of his bottom metal soon. </div></div>

+2 I can't say enough good things about my CDI bottom metal. Jeff did a great job on my HS precision stock for a very reasonable price. And the fact that it uses standard AI mags makes it even better because now I have compatibility with most guys on e range if a mag goes down.