• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Desert, Desert-Sage, Woodland?

Johnny Lately

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
SA, TX
Which camo do y'all think matches best with the foliage and terrain of the ranch? The action and barrel will be Duracoated or Cerakoted tan or tan with green to match the stock. My vote is for Desert-Sage. Thanks for any input! the stock is going to be a Manners MCS-T4. Hope I posted this in the right thread.

Desert
desert.jpg

Desert-Sage
desert-sage.jpg

Woodland
woodland.jpg

Pics of the ranch during summer
DSCN1431.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

Dogleg016.jpg

And winter
MoreDL012.jpg

MoreDL013.jpg

MoreDL010.jpg

Re: Desert, Desert-Sage, Woodland?

Desert Sage for the ranch, but more importantly what color will your boots and belt be, you want to make sure the whole ensemble goes well together and doesn't clash with your 4-wheeler.

you'll be GTG with any of them, but i'd prefer the desert scheme, followed by desert sage, then woodland.

it's easier to add different colors (gillie strips, etc.) for change of season, and it'll blend better with the rocky areas throughout the entire year.

Would have to go with the Desert-Sage.

I hunt in South Texas and would vote for the Desert-Sage. You might look through the forum for painting tips. There is one I recently looked at and it was awesome. The base color was black then tan and green was sprayed. What made it functional was the artist wrapped the stock with 3/4 to 1" cloth fish netting over the black. He then shot the green and the tan. Looks like a snakes hide! In our area it would be the bomb! I am looking for some netting now to give mine a shot! He used krylon camo- easy to remove and start over if needed. Easy to touch up as well.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mahiman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt in South Texas and would vote for the Desert-Sage. You might look through the forum for painting tips. There is one I recently looked at and it was awesome. The base color was black then tan and green was sprayed. What made it functional was the artist wrapped the stock with 3/4 to 1" cloth fish netting over the black. He then shot the green and the tan. Looks like a snakes hide! In our area it would be the bomb! I am looking for some netting now to give mine a shot! He used krylon camo- easy to remove and start over if needed. Easy to touch up as well.

Good luck! </div></div>

Thanks for the help, I've actually done the netting before on a 7mm-08 rifle with Krylon but the molded in camo comes with the Manner's stock so I'm trying to get the right color to match.

You need some sky blue and white so the deer/pig doesn't see your rifle from your elevated stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Desert Sage for the ranch, but more importantly what color will your boots and belt be, you want to make sure the whole ensemble goes well together and doesn't clash with your 4-wheeler. </div></div>

That is hilarious.

Dude, that is green for the SA area, Recent pics?

Probably the sage, do you want some fall pics from NW SA like Bourne or that general area? Might help the painter match colors better, that is if they hand paint each one.

Buddy of mine lives out by the airport there and took a bunch last fall so that when we get the chance we can take his PSS to someone who is really good at making things hide.

desert sage...

It's easier to darken yourself to match your environment than it is to lighten yourself. That one is the lightest of the 3.

If you actually want a rifle that is truly camouflaged, then your best bet is to get a base FDE or coyote Cerakote/similar coating and use Krylon to match your area as it exists at that time.

Remember all camouflage does is help hide the obvious by blending with the background. Even if you have your stock in a pattern, what is your scope, action and barrel going to look like? What about the rest of you? What about the outline? "Veg is the edge".....

If you're just looking for appearances sake, then refer to jasonk's post above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cvedrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, that is green for the SA area, Recent pics?

Probably the sage, do you want some fall pics from NW SA like Bourne or that general area? Might help the painter match colors better, that is if they hand paint each one.

Buddy of mine lives out by the airport there and took a bunch last fall so that when we get the chance we can take his PSS to someone who is really good at making things hide. </div></div>

It's actually in Medina county, pretty close to Medina Lake actually.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I would say Desert, but I am color blind as hell so don't take my opinion for much

Dude just get the stock you like! If you do your part, your quarry will never see the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought deer were color-blind.... </div></div>

They are indeed. With that thought, I would have to go with the Woodland, just because that is what all of my gear is done up with...

DK