• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tactical SRS Range Report

Re: Desert Tactical SRS Range Report

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is 1 in 11.</div></div>

Hey...I asked Ratbert.

Just kidding, thanks sr90
smile.gif

Any idea if the 1-11" will stabilize the factory Lapua subsonic stuff?

I found the barrel twist rates on another forum and figured I would post them here for anybody that is interested.
243 - 1 in 7.5
308 - 1 in 11
300WM - 1 in 11
338LM - 1 in 10

SR90, can you provide any visibility as to when you may have different barrel options available? For example, any insight on the following?
-24" or 26" 308 Win
-24" or 26" 260 Rem

Put another 70rds through the SRS today. One interesting thing I noticed is that after about 30rds of relatively sustained fire my POI drifted about 0.1MRad low and a hair left with each additional 10. So by the last I was about 0.5Mrad low and 0.2Mrad left. It was still just as precise, the final 5 shots were done at a hundred just to confirm what I'd been seeing @ 200, they formed a clover leaf. Just 0.5Mrad below the POA is all.

No more FTF's on the Wolf Magnum primers. I'm guessing I just hit a bad batch for a few there somehow. I spoke with Nick@DTA and he said all the bolts (308, 300WM, & 338) have the same firing pin and mainspring, so it shouldn't have any problems lighting off a magnum primer. Even so, I'm starting to run low on the Wolfs and the next brick of 5000 on the shelf is BR2's, so I doubt it will be an issue again.

No fail to ejects, either. Though I'm still going to be hot to try out a plus-power ejector spring if/when DTA decides to start testing one. Supposedly it's something they're considering.

Also tried out a couple of the full-length welded magazines DTA sent me today. They performed flawlessly (hadn't really expected otherwise) but the real test will be when I get the nerve to drop a fully loaded one onto concrete a couple times and see what happens. Not till after hogstooth's class in a couple weeks...

At some point I'll take some pics of the original, homebrew welded, and new factory welded to compare. Just been busy packing up the house as we're getting ready to move.

Really thinking about dropping the $$$ for one of these. The ability to swap barrels/caliber is very appealing to me.

Hmm...if I sell off one of the kids...work a bit longer each day for a few months.....

Keep the updates coming.

Take care,Stan

Ratbert,

Be careful when seating the Wolf Primers. Since they seem to be a little larger than CCI, Fed, Rem, Win, it usually takes a little more pressure to seat them. In doing this I think something might be happening to the cup and anvil which causes a dud, or what appears to be a light primer strike.

I was shooting some new loads the other day and had 4 "duds" primer strike looked light, but with no bang! I noticed the primers appeared to be seated just slightly different with a slight press mark from my hand press. I pulled the bullets and dumped the charge when I got home, reloaded another 20 and carefully seated the primers with my hand press I was just more cautious about applying too much pressure to get the tighter ones to seat. I haven't had a problem since with the same lot of primers.

Not exactly a scientific process of elimination, but that's my first thought, unless I get any more that don't fire.

spoke with DTA yesterday the BBL's are all done the recivers are being coated
looks like we will be seeing the next batch in just a couple weeks
i cant wait to get mine in and have some range time with it

SR90 can you tell we are eager to get the next batch out !!!

Look forward to seeing how it does during the class, start practicing those mag changes, gona be a few of those during the class. Gonna be a fun weekend!!

Later
Little

Ratbert, could use a bit of info on your fine piece of kit. How do you install the sling? I realize it is a bit of a stupid question, but mine is a couple weeks away and I am contemplating a sling...so does it use proprietary swivels/mounts or can I use the ones I have lying around on it? Thanks, Mav.

EDIT: WOW just realized you were in con-kerd (Mike @ Eagle Guns said that someone had brought a Suppressed SRS .308 in...that has to be you), we are practically neighbors, where do you shoot at?

It just uses normal QD flush-cup swivels. Like this:

GTSW-06.jpg

I'm a member at Rowan County WildLife Association, up in Salisbury. https://www.rcwanc.com/

Let me know if you ever want to get together up there. It's only 200yds, but it's close and useful for zeroing and load development and such. Has a pretty good setup of pistol pits too. I'm booked for the next few weekends, but I'm sure we can work calendars out somehow. It's good to know there will be another SRS nearby, maybe we can setup DTA's East Coast R&D office...
wink.gif

Thanks for the info, it was exactly what I needed to know. Also thank you for the offer, I will have to work that in one weekend. We definitely need to be "DTA's East Coast R&D Office", I'll call Melissa and have her ship a few .338LM bbls for testing, after all they may not work on the east coast, so we'd be doing them a service...right?
wink.gif

P.S.: I envy that suppressor of yours...hell to get in Meck. Co.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popndrop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want one...in each color and caliber. That is very nice.</div></div>
Sorry...Looks like you're out of luck...they already have a West-Coast R&D Dept.
wink.gif

All of this talk of the SRS makes me happy. I can not wait to get mine in .338 LM out of this upcoming batch.

Found the source of the ejection problems this weekend. The extractor is pretty damn sharp and it's shaving off little flakes of brass that are getting wedged in the ejector plunger and making it stick. I'm going to get my local smith to stone it a little bit and round out the sharp edges just a little bit. Other than that, she ran great through another 150rds.

Here's a shot shooting weakhand off a barricade...

IMG_0637.JPG

and the results @ 100yds

IMG_0640.JPG

When the wind died down, the rifle held MOA on the 960yd steel with ease.

On a related note, I feel compelled to mention that DTA is very proactive on costumer service. While waiting for my rifle to ship, they've kept me updated with current status and any delays without me even asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's the other SRS thread. Whats a costumer?
blush.gif
keke :p </div></div>

Freudian slip coming from dating a fashion designer who makes costumes on the side..ha!

3.930 OAL in the .338LM mag with 270 gr LRBT 87gr RL25, wonder if they will cycle.

Picture029.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.930 OAL in the .338LM mag with 270 gr LRBT 87gr RL25, wonder if they will cycle.
</div></div>

Any updates on this question? The oversized mag is one of the key reasons I am looking at this rifle. It would be a shame if it did not cycle.

Yep no problem. Just cycled 5 fast, Don't have many of those bullets left. Will probably load next ones at 3.920 OAL for a little more room.

To utilize the shoulder retention feature and maximize feeding reliability I would suggest loading the round 3.87" or shorter. At 3.87" the nose of the projectile will not ever touch the front of the magazine. You can load them longer you just lose the shoulder retention benefits and you increase the chance of missfeeds when doing so.

Talking with DTA they are recommending their 40 MOA base for the new Premier 5-25x56 on the SRS338. This seems excessive to me with the 103 MOA of total adjustment the scope has. I guess if you want to be able to shoot 2000+ yards but for even just a mile it seems like the 20 MOA or at most the 35 MOA base would do. Anyone know the reason or other factors for the 40 MOA recommendation?

Also anyone with the 40 MOA base care to chime in on how easy it is to get a cheek weld. Since the stock is not adjustable can you get high enough the way it is to get a good sight with that much cant in the base?

10MOA is 1/6th of a degree. You're not going to be able to tell the difference between a 20, 30, and 40 MOA base over the 4" span of the rings.

Cheekweld is perfect for me and I am typically the sort of guy building up "normal" stocks 1/2"+ even with rings slammed as low as they'll go.

All of our tapered bases (20,30,40) have the same cheek weld which we designed that way. Ratbert is correct the height difference between the 20 and 40 tapers is very little but we accounted for it anyway.

It takes around 75 MOA of elevation adjustment to make it to 2000 yards with a 338LM so even with a 100 MOA scope if you use a 20 MOA base you will not get to 2K you will get close.

Scope mount taper is a function of total elevation travel. The reason we recommended 40 MOA of taper was to optimize the 100+ MOA of adjustment range. It allows you to shoot as far as your rifle is capable of shooting, It puts your firing distance range in the middle of your scopes adjustment range, which in turn reduces vignetting and parallex and prevents the erector cell from bumping into the sidewall of the scope tube as extreme adjustment ranges, it also puts your 100 yard zero closer to the bottom of the turret reducing the need for a zero stop.

Out here in West Texas I am limited to safely shoot about 1200 yards so I was focusing on that distance. However, if there will not be any penalty using a 40 MOA base then who am I to turn down the free extra elevation travel. I may have to take a trip to stretch its legs. Anyone know of a 1500 - 2000 yard range in West Texas, NM or AZ? How far can you shoot at the NRA center in Raton, NM? Thanks for the great answers.

It won't hurt your 100 yard zero at all, the general formula I follow is to divide the total elevation travel by half and then add back in whatever you base is tapered for example the NXS 5-22x has 100 MOA so 100/2 = 50 + 40 tapered base give 90 MOA of usable travel. I try not to get closer to the edge then 5 moa because then you may not get a 100 yard zero for exampl the S&B 4-16 has approx 67 MOA of total travel so 67/2 = 33.5 so if you mounted the scope in a 30 MOA tapered base then you would have 63.5 MOA of usable travel which is very close to the edge and it would work for most scope/rifle combinations but you will get a handful of rifles that won't be able the get a 100 yard zero, thus by having at least 5 MOA of lost travel has always allowed for a solid 100 yard zero from my experience.

<span style="color: #FF0000">**Warning! Vihtavuori 2009 reloading guide Max load for the below powder (N560) and projectiles 16.2 g / 250 gr Secnar is 82 grains 2,841 FPS**</span>

Federal 215M primer, New Lapua Brass, VV N560, 16.2 g /250 gr Secnar, 3.75 OAL

88 grains = 2,927 FPS Average. 34 FPS Deviation

90 grains = 3,026 FPS " 16 FPS Deviation

92 grains = 3,088 FPS " 12 FPS Deviation

93 grains = 3,140 FPS " 14 FPS Deviation

94 grains = 3,178 FPS " *** 3 FPS Deviation ***

95 grains = 3,216 FPS " 40 FPS Deviation

3 of each in group, total of 18 rounds in below target.
Primers from loads: from left to right: 95,94,93,92,90,88 grains
Picture021-1.jpg

Elev 347'
Temp 70
Baro 29.93
Wind SW 5-12 Gust 20

<span style="color: #FF0000">I am not responsible for your decision to load like this.</span>

Aww crap, don't make me buy N560 when I already have too much RL25
wink.gif

How did you come up with the 3.75 OAL? With that extra space in the mag I was just trying to remember how you optimize the OAL. Thanks,

My lands for the 250 Secnar is 3.77, so i loaded 3.75.

I'm working on getting a reamer that would put lands at 3.87 as per sr90's suggestion <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest loading the round 3.87" or shorter.</div></div> The .10 would make a little more room for slower burning powders and 300 grain projectiles.

It would be nice to know what kind of pressures the 94 and 95 grain loads created, if anyone has an idea?

I'd really like to see how the N570 does, if it ever gets here.

Man Fredo,That's cooking along.Never heard of a 338L going that fast.I can't see the primers.Is there any flow and/or ejector marks?

Steve

I have never been a fan of this style rifle, but I am liking the looks of this one. A friend of mine has one coming in, I believe he already got his suppressor for it. Cant wait to check it out. I think he got it for LR hunting, and the more I think about it, as odd as it sounded at first, I think it may turn out to be a great choice for that purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To utilize the shoulder retention feature and maximize feeding reliability I would suggest loading the round 3.87" or shorter. At 3.87" the nose of the projectile will not ever touch the front of the magazine. You can load them longer you just lose the shoulder retention benefits and you increase the chance of missfeeds when doing so.
</div></div>

Sorry for a dumb question, but please explain the "shoulder retention feature".

Please see Troy's picture of the magazine above, notice that the magazine follows the same contour as the cartridge, this design ensures that when the rifle recoils then the projectiles tip will not impact the front of the magazine and it ensures that no damage can be made to the projectile tip ensuring maximum accuracy without having to single feed the rifle. If you go longer than the suggested length then the shoulder can no longer keep the projectile from impacting the front of the magazine thus beyond that length will work but tips will engage the magazine front upon recoil just like a convention magazine would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To utilize the shoulder retention feature and maximize feeding reliability I would suggest loading the round 3.87" or shorter. At 3.87" the nose of the projectile will not ever touch the front of the magazine. You can load them longer you just lose the shoulder retention benefits and you increase the chance of missfeeds when doing so.
</div></div>

Sorry for a dumb question, but please explain the "shoulder retention feature". </div></div>

notice the angle/shoulder in the magazine. if the cartridge is loaded to length 3.87" or less the shoulder will contact the magazine before the tip of the bullet does. cartridges move forward in magazines during recoil. when the tip of the bullet hits the front of the mag they tend to bind. at least this is how I understand it.

LM

ETA: sr90 beat me to it

Sr90, is there any chance in hell of me getting one of these (if I order it now), by the 24th/25th? I have a class coming up and I'd love to have one for it.

Hey Steve,

I'll try not to be a dumb ass and turn the flash off for the next photo. There was no problem extracting, but there are indications of pressure on some cases.

I also shot some M118 173gr from a M1A 22" barrel through the same Oehler chrono 35p in the same position. The average velocity was 2,564 FPS. If that is typical, then the other velocities are close.

Fredo,
Well,anytime someone can get a .675BC bullet with low SD going 3150fps or so that's some spectacular ballistics and in such a compact package too.

Steve

I wouldn't load over 92 grains again. The rim of the primer crater starts to rise at 93 grains.

Left to right 95,94,93,92,90,88 grains.

Picture037.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Fredo,
That's exactly what my 375CT does as far as the primer flow goes.If I tried to get it down so there was no primer flow I would be all the way down to about 2950 fps.As long as the bolts not getting sticky and you don't mind a little shorter brass life for the warmer loads then you are GTG.But I'm sure you already know this.The good thing is that it's almost the middle of summer and temps are up so you shouldn't have to worry about hot temps screwing up your warmer loads.

Steve

Are you guys seating the bullet into the lands? This will lead to this kind of pressure sign and like stated above...you will really have to reduce the load to get away from it. Seating the bullet deeper in the case will correct this problems most of the time from what I have seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I'm sure you already know this</div></div>

No, i didn't know. I was under the impression the rim of the crater could weaken and lead to fractures on the bolt face around the firing pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys seating the bullet into the lands?</div></div>

These are about 20 thousandths off land. I usually load into the lands. But these being 13 grains over max suggested, i chose to give them some room.

We have found that the lost river lathe turned bullets shoot best approx 0.04" off the lands.

Sorry, noob question, but that's a damn fine looking optic. What is it?