• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tactical SRS Range Report

Re: Desert Tactical SRS Range Report

Fredo,

No,I don't advocate excessive primer flow.LOL

What I meant was that it looks like there is primer flow even in the 88gr load.So you would have to keep backing off from there to reach a point where there was no primer flow at all.My 375CT has always had primer flow issues.I should have gotten it bushed probably but never did.
I do ladder testing and assume that the loads I shoot are within reasonable pressures.Like for instance my normal load with 350 Hookers is 128.7 grs of R-25 which is a grain or two less than most people use but I would have to go all the way down to 124 grs to not have any flow at all.See what I mean?

Steve

Here is the Ultimate Weapons episode that featured our SRS rifle system
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yROZmh88CPQ&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yROZmh88CPQ&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See what I mean?</div></div>

I do.

We are doing the same thing, i guess there is no way around it.

Cool Video!!
smile.gif

How do you all clean your SRS? Do you remove the barrel to clean it or leave in place and do it the traditional way? Seems like removing the barrel could make for some easy cleaning. Using something like Wipeout and an Otis cleaning system (the kind with a pull cable instead of a rod) would be really convenient. Is it feasible to remove the barrel each time you clean it? Or is there a better way? Thanks!

I leave it in the gun, sometimes I take it out, the srs bore-guide has an o-ring and will work with the barrel in the gun or outside the gun.

If I fill the barrel with Sweets 7.62 then I take it out and plug the ends and lean it against the wall for a day.

NOOB question? On the 308 configured barrel what is the thread pattern and how far do the barrel/threads extend past the chassis for suppressor attachment.

The threads are 3/4" (the idea being that you can just get a 338 suppressor and use it on all barrels) but I had no problem getting it rethreaded 5/8" for my 30 cal SAS suppressor. It extends a little less than an inch beyond the handguard (according to the ol' eyeball.) It's plenty for a suppressor but there isn't enough clearance for a TAB cover.

Thanks, Have been looking at this rifle for awhile. Currently have 2 30 cal suppressors w/ 5/8X24 threads. Didn't know whether the barrel would have to be cut to change the thread to 5/8X24.

No, you just rethread OVER the existing 3/4" threads. There is enough meat between 3/4" and 5/8" to do that. The pics you see above are with a 5/8x24 can on the stock 308 barrel that was rethreaded in this manner. When it's done, you can't tell it wasn't 5/8x24 from the factory (other than the fact that your thread protector no longer fits.
laugh.gif
)

Fired one of these in .308 and .338LM at the SHOT Show this year. About the only gun I shot that made me want to sell all my other toys to buy. Don't have a huge amount of experience shooting .338 but I thought the recoil was very light for the weight of the gun. .308 was practically non existent.

I'm intrigued by these rifles, but there's something about them that just seems... well... awkward. I think it's probably the bolt being so far back. Just seems that it would be awkward to re-chamber a round compared to the standard configurations. I think the bullpup configuration works well for semi-autos, but personally I wouldn't think it works too well for a bolt gun.

I'm sure it's a fine weapon, and the testimony of people above attests to that. I guess it's just not for me.

Cyberpuppy, thats speaking w/o any personal knowledge. I own one. Just like Ratbert...it was easy to transition and train oneself to operate the bolt easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cyberpuppy, thats speaking w/o any personal knowledge. I own one. Just like Ratbert...it was easy to transition and train oneself to operate the bolt easily. </div></div>

I agree. I've been reading about British forces who are trained on bullpups from the start and find them completely natural to use. Like you said, it's an opinion w/o personal knowledge, and I'm sure I'd get used to it if I got my hands on one. It's just a first impression.

I know I've said this already, but operating the bolt literally took almost no adjustment at all. Getting used to the 60* throw vs the Rem accounted for as much of what little adjustment there was as anything. Having it a little farther back just isn't that big a deal in practice. It's changing the magazines that required a bit of practice before I could do it with any sort of smoothness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">changing the magazines</div></div>

I switched hands for this. I use the left for conventional stocks, i use the right for this.

Finally sent in my order today... thank God for Fathers day as my B-day and XMAS is still 6 months away. Ordered a Black and Tan .338. Luckily they still had a few spaces left on the current production run so it will only be weeks and not months! Thanks to everyone here and Melissa at DTA for answering all my questions. Now I just need to get 50 posts so I can try and sell my AR-30, AR-50, and 7mm STW. Fortunately, I still have a ton of questions to ask, especially now that I am all in.

Fredo,

Are you happy with your USO 3.2-17x44 on your SRS338? I am trying to decide between a new Premier 5-25x56 or maybe picking up a used USO 3.2-17x44 and saving a few hundred dollars. I can't find a used USO 22x, but there are a bunch of nice 17x's. Do you ever wish you had more than 17x? Seems like for the 338 you might need more on occasion. Did you pick your 17x specifically for the SRS or did you already have the scope and decided to just keep it. Thanks.

Yes, i am happy with them. I have two.

I use to have higher power scopes, but most opportunities for long distance shooting i have come with Mirage.

If i was somewhere cold i would go to 25x again. I opted for 17x over 22x for the vertical adjustment gain. I would rather have 22x.

Then again, the Canadian hit a guy at 2430 meters with a straight 16x so 17x is probably enough for anything I'll shoot at with a .338.

I already had the scopes and used them for .408's.

Got my .308 order in today. Melessa is so very nice at DTA, shes always in a good mood.

She told me there is serveral .308s still for the current build starting to ship nex week.

So Im goona try and go a side by side with my AIAW sometime this summer.

If Melissa get's any sweeter...she will start us calling to buy guns so we can talk to her. Oh ask her about how she runs the snow bunnies off the slopes..its a riot.

I ended up buying a used USO sn3 3.2-17x44 Horus, but it only has a 30mm tube. How do the reducers work on the DTA scope base? Do they work well? Do you have an pictures by chance? Are they plastic like Burris rings use? Do the reducers work with the 34mm or 35mm base or both? Any plans for a 30mm scope base? The Nightforce Unimount seems like it would also work, it is an actual 30mm mount and it has a 20 moa cant built in. I am just concerned it would mess with the cheek weld since the DTA base is engineered specifically for the SRS. What do you recommend?

BeagleStorm they are just like the 1" reducers you get from BO or Seekins for their 30mm ringe. Alloy.

Has anyone that has an SRS coming in this current batch received shipping notification yet? I know that they were supposed to start shipping a few weeks ago but got delayed due to rain curtailing the test firng. I was just wondering if they have started shipping yet but I don't want to bother Melissa asking (possibly further delaying shipping). I have been able to be patient waiting for my gun since I ordered in March but I am getting anxious now knowing that it is close to shipping. Of course, the fact that I have a brand new Schmidt & Bender scope sitting on the bed in my spare bedroom waiting for the arrival of my SRS doesn't help things.
smile.gif

We have started shipping, several guns went out last week and people should be receiving them any day. We have someone shooting guns every day and so we will get a bunch of them shipped this week too. It will be 2-3 more weeks to get the very last ones shot.

My first impressions with 338 Lapua DTA were: "wow- now this is small and well balanced little b*****d!"

First accuracy tests werent too fair, only available ammo was loaded to short COL and topped with Lapua 250gr LockBase. Bullet is tad light for 10" twist, and usually shoots best with light groove touch. Now COL wasnt even close for contact.

Still, about 15 shots break-in and then 7x5shots at 100meters gave promising results.
Funny thing was that it shooted 2 separated "groups" = 2 shots to 2 o´clock and 3 to 7 o´clock- or vice versa. Both me and rifle owner shooted same-looking paranormal patterns.
Those "mini-groups" were about 1.5" separated each time. Go figure.

Checked scope and barrel locking with torq wrench but everything seemed to be ok.
Only available scope was Leupy 3.5-10x -recently fixed and checked. Might have been that too.

Anyways ,during shooting, strange phenomenon seemed to fade away. Dont know for sure, we kida ran out of ammo- it was thet fun... Best group during trip was my last, nice 0.66MOA.
For comparsion, my TRG42 with new Sako barrel wasnt any better- but after load tweaking went sub-MOA easily. I cant see why DTA wouldnt be able to do same.
Dont know if are barrels hand-lapped or not, but in any case it doesent seem to foul easily. No visible signs of copper afterwards- 35shots.

Trigger is good for a bullpup, but not so good compared to f.e. TRG.
Still, I´d say its well good enough for practical long range usage - high-end BR rifle shooters might disagree tho. After some 30shots I got perfectly used to it- but, honestly, first shots after years of using 2-stage TRG trigger didnt feel too promising. Partly because of missing stage, no doubt.

Another thing was recoil. With no break or can, recoil doesent feel bad at all. Softer, longer push than TRG42 without break or similar smoke restrainer. Might be weight difference- hard to say since I dont know which one is actually lighter.
I´d imagine it has something to do with crutch -like essence, recoil comes directly backwards in middle of shoulder. Kinda same feeling when comparing M4 and Steyr AUG "recoils" -just in way bigger scale.
Buttplate material seem to be well-thought as well.

Recoil and follow-ups were substantially better to handle when shooting prone on ground with bipods, BR table w/ same harris pods caused rifle to jump up and right quite a bit.
Way more than TRG with longer "lever arm" acting as resisting mass.
But who wants to use sissy tables anyway? Not me!
Works well in purpose it was build- and brake/can would surely tame it a lot.

Altoghether, I liked rifle a lot. Thumbs up!

EDIT
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Federal 215M primer, New Lapua Brass, VV N560, 16.2 g /250 gr Secnar, 3.75 OAL

88 grains = 2,927 FPS Average. 34 FPS Deviation
90 grains = 3,026 FPS " 16 FPS Deviation
92 grains = 3,088 FPS " 12 FPS Deviation
93 grains = 3,140 FPS " 14 FPS Deviation
94 grains = 3,178 FPS " *** 3 FPS Deviation ***
95 grains = 3,216 FPS " 40 FPS Deviation
</div></div>

Like N560 too, have been using only it for years. 88grs about same MV, tad faster.
BTW, Fed 215 primers are only way to go, IMHO. Works in arctic enviroment too.

JL,
If you mount the bipod further rearward then it reduces the muzzle hop a lot. The reason is because when the bipod is at the end of the forearm it is almost at the end of the rifle. Midway down the rail is what I like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JL,
If you mount the bipod further rearward then it reduces the muzzle hop a lot. The reason is because when the bipod is at the end of the forearm it is almost at the end of the rifle. Midway down the rail is what I like. </div></div>

That makes sense to me. Will pass word to bud who owns it.

Say cheers from JL to Paul S for me!
wink.gif

P.S.
Forgot to mention few observation from first range trip;
Even fairly hot barrel doesent mess up sight picture like in traditional 338:s.
Apparently, front rail system is acting as shield, and short naked part of barrel doesent offer enough surface for troubles.
Also, fluted, not not too heavy profile barrel cools down fast.

For clarification: since english is my third language ,I dont want to give wrong impressions on this one;
To me, TRG trigger is benchmark to all other triggers. Surely betters exist, but I havent tested any so far.

Yes, TRG feeled tad better to me, but it really doesent mean that DTA is bad.
In fact, tested AI 338 many moons ago- and based on that comparsion against TRG I would say that AI vs. DTA trigger would be pretty close call.
Its that good- bullpup or not.

Try it next time you shoot it. It's noticeable.

Does anyone tuning in have a 300WM? I hear a great deal about the .308 (presumably for the lesser cost of ammo, and short bbl for use of a suppressor), and .338LM (needs no introduction), but have yet to hear of a range report from a .300. I am getting anxious waiting, unfortunately I won't be able to review the .300 for a while, due to the scope. The rifle will be here in about 2wks. but the scope (Premier 5-25x56mm) is delayed until the beginning of nxt mo.
frown.gif