• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech MDR

I have a couple questions for future and current MDR owners.

It comes in a cool little plastic case - but you have to tear it down each time, and there is no room for optics.

Do you plan on keeping it assembled once you get it?
What case will you use that gives you room for a scope and accessories? The Pelican 1650 seems really nice but may be a bit too small.

and here are some tidbits for you perhaps...
If you have a DTA suppressor already, in case you own other DTA products, you can buy the muzzle break from the 16" .308 to add to the end of the MDR but you will need to remove the flash hider - this is made easier if you buy or have an Advanced Armament flash hider removal tool

Advanced Armament Corporation Tool, Blackout Flash Hider - 64185, part # AAC-G5-AAC-64185

I bought mine from Optics Planet for ~ $35

You will also need a set of shims for an AR-10, as the shims that come with the DTA muzzle break / adapter are made for the larger SRS barrel.
I purchased a PRIMARY WEAPONS - AR-308 .308 SHIM KIT from Brownells for ~$5, the large washer was a perfect match for me.

So now my DTA suppressor will also work on my MDR, but if you want to remove the (stock) hand guard you also need to remove the muzzle break. Not sure if the expanded handguard would help here.

I have been watching the NightForce 1-8x24 thread in the Optics area - hoping to hear what people say once their ATACR scopes start arriving. I am currently looking at a Minox as my front runner so far.

I'm keeping mine assembled. I do wish the hard case accommodated an Optic. It would be hard to do with some many optics out there, but not impossible. I have the 36" Voodoo case, I like it a lot. I am hoping the MDR fits in my Voodoo MP5 case/Uzi case, I need to pull it out of the shed. I now DT has drastically reduced the required torque to remove the flash hider.

The new ATACR looks sweet, I run a 2-10 so I will let that wear out or bore me and then upgrade later

I decided to try the LaRue Covert MkII after surfing around YouTube and the internet. I liked the color choices, and the thickness of the walls / sides. If it works well, I might get a second for a new AR I built.

I also figured that I could combine two of the LaRue cases and pack them in a Pelican iM2950 if I wanted to.

Will update everyone when it arrives. My new scope mount is here but my Minox ZP8, which arrived on Friday is already headed back because it had a problem. I figure 5 days to return it and another 5 to get a replacement.

I decided to try the LaRue Covert MkII after surfing around YouTube and the internet. I liked the color choices, and the thickness of the walls / sides. If it works well, I might get a second for a new AR I built.

I also figured that I could combine two of the LaRue cases and pack them in a Pelican iM2950 if I wanted to.

Will update everyone when it arrives. My new scope mount is here but my Minox ZP8, which arrived on Friday is already headed back because it had a problem. I figure 5 days to return it and another 5 to get a replacement.

That's a bummer about your Minox! I'd like to know how the Larue case works for you and a pic once you have it set up.

Just picked mine up last saturday. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I've had an SRS since 2010 and really love the rifle. It was excellent quality from the beginning with a wonderful trigger and very nicely done barrels. The MDR has a really poor trigger by comparison and even compared to some of the other Semi Auto rifles out there its bad. I put a borescope through the barrel, it showed some rough surfaces and a nice burr on the gas port. Doesn't appear they reamed or polished after drilling. Definitely no lapping after rifling. Not what I'm used to seeing from DT. Might make no difference in operation though...have to wait and see.

I've only put one mag through the rifle to test function so no idea of accuracy. Fired with a suppressor it was still quite loud. I guess that is to be expected with anything venting gas out the side. With the right hand ejection port cover off the thing pitches cases about 30 ft or more. At least we know its not undergassed. With the cover on it drops the cases in a nice pile right in front of you. I do like that. Mr Dyslexia likes the forward eject on a bullpup since I tend to shoot on the side I pick the rifle up from. The AUG has dinged my specs a few times when I don't pay attention.

I did notice the gasport plug has a sleeve silver soldered inside with smaller holes than those drilled in the main body of the plug. I wonder if this is a fix or a standard procedure? Were the original ports too big or are they just making sure they line up with the port in the gasblock?
The brass was a little dinged by the ejection system too so no using the good brass in this thing. I really want to get some gasblocks and barrel extensions as well....no interest in the 308 here but I want to do some 6.5X47L and 338BR barrels which I think will be a lot better.
I didn't notice the recoil being out of line. Its a 308 with a short barrel. How bad can it be?

The plastic case provided with the rifle is just a shipping case as far as I'm concerned and won't be used for transport. I'll likely find a nice soft case that will hold extra barrels and mags. Guess you have to include the tool too since the handguard has to come off for the barrel changes. I don't know if the one section rail attached to the barrel is really that important that its worth the effort to take off the handguard for changes. Might have to make some short gasblocks with no picatinney and see if it makes any difference in accuracy.

All in all I don't think its a bad rifle but for the guys who were paying $3K for them I feel sorry. With the other rifles out there in this class these are on the high end for what you appear to get. We'll see over time if they make us eat our words. Hope so.

Frank

Reactions: onepointsixklicks
I’ve been waiting forever to get my mdr , but a few are out now and I think it’s cool that there’s already aftermarket options for the barrels like the srs. I think that’s a big plus. Thinking about ordering that 6.5 cm conversion . What barrel length should I go with?

1st Q. How will you be shooting the gun, at what distances? Do you need the extra FPS the longer barrel will give you?
For me the advantage of the bullpup is it's size and maneuverability. When you start getting into longer barrels it starts to loose that advantage. Tossing on a can at the end will also change the balance and will be more noticable with a longer barrel. So it's really just trade-off's and what your overall goal of the gun is.

1st Q. How will you be shooting the gun, at what distances? Do you need the extra FPS the longer barrel will give you?
For me the advantage of the bullpup is it's size and maneuverability. When you start getting into longer barrels it starts to loose that advantage. Tossing on a can at the end will also change the balance and will be more noticable with a longer barrel. So it's really just trade-off's and what your overall goal of the gun is.
I’d like to deer hunt and plink steel , so probably stick with a shorter barrel. Thanks.

Fired a few more rounds today to check some details.
First we ran it on the proper gas setting for the suppressor and it is a lot quieter. Dumping less hot gas with the smaller port means less noise. I had it on the normal port when I first fired it. Big difference.
Next was running without the can and man is this thing noisy. In addition you must return the gas adjustment to normal or the gun won't cycle. This brings up another annoying thing. The handguard must be removed in order to adjust the gas setting. If they had put a port in the handguard it might be possible to adjust but as it is now you have to carry your handy dandy tool around in order to remove and install the handguard for any barrel changes or adjustments. If you have a suppressor mounted you have to remove the suppressor first and then the handguard and then put them back.....just to turn the adjuster a little. I think I'm going to be looking at putting a slot in the handguard for these adjustments.

Frank

I received my LaRue case today - with the 1 port muzzle break the MDR just fits. It is tight ( sizes bulged out a bit ) with the stock flash suppressor on but you can zip it. The manual and tool fit nicely in the right pocket, and I added a two mag carrier to my order - this does fit the 25 round P-Mag's nicely and I put the 20 round mag in the 1x mag carrier that came with the case. I used two of the three Velcro straps to hold the MDR down and the last to hold the suppressor in place under the hand guard. Should fit fine with the optic attached once it gets back to me - I popped my mount on and it looks like I will have a nice amount of space. If I end up getting some sort of Harris bipod to attach I could move the suppressor to the other side of the grip. I ordered an extra tie down but will not need it - I will also not be using any of the dividers - big or small for the MDR.

The case itself is very well made and has a nice coordinating strap, and handle that is darker green that the ranger green case. Overall I am really happy with this setup and the quality of the bag.

The box/shipping case for the MDR has already made it's way into storage in the garage. Now I will be able to leave everything assembled.

my only thought now is would I be able to fit a conversion kit in a bag and tuck that in as well. I guess that is a question for a future post ( when they are available :) )

I finally had some time to get the MDR out there. Man this thing eats up some brass! I did have 4 failures to eject, that annoying. But I got it to group MOA. I had to change my trigger pull.

This trigger isn't anywhere near as nice as other Bullpups. That's disappointing.

Attachments

• 20180309_152413.jpg
    20180309_152413.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180309_171039.jpg
    20180309_171039.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 79
Ran a couple more mags through mine today. First mag went ok. Got the red dot dialed in.
I really really hate that the gas adjuster can't be moved without taking the handguard off. Just thought I'd mention that.
The second mag brought trouble. First I had a few rounds that fired fine but wouldn't extract. Had to get the cleaning rod out and knock them free. The extractor ripped a chunk of rim off. Not a good sign. Its acting like the gas port is suddenly on the big setting but it hasn't moved. I pulled the barrel and ran a few patches through. Not really that dirty. I used a wooden chamber cleaner with a patch on it to make sure the chamber was clean. Nothing really there. Tried again and another stuck case. Tried a different type of ammo and another stuck case. Tried a light lube and no more stuck cases but had a couple light hits and the trigger won't reset without a bit of a rap on the side of the rifle. This trigger has had reset issues from the beginning but not when actually firing....now it is. Might be time to call warranty dept.

Frank

Ran a couple more mags through mine today. First mag went ok. Got the red dot dialed in.
I really really hate that the gas adjuster can't be moved without taking the handguard off. Just thought I'd mention that.
The second mag brought trouble. First I had a few rounds that fired fine but wouldn't extract. Had to get the cleaning rod out and knock them free. The extractor ripped a chunk of rim off. Not a good sign. Its acting like the gas port is suddenly on the big setting but it hasn't moved. I pulled the barrel and ran a few patches through. Not really that dirty. I used a wooden chamber cleaner with a patch on it to make sure the chamber was clean. Nothing really there. Tried again and another stuck case. Tried a different type of ammo and another stuck case. Tried a light lube and no more stuck cases but had a couple light hits and the trigger won't reset without a bit of a rap on the side of the rifle. This trigger has had reset issues from the beginning but not when actually firing....now it is. Might be time to call warranty dept.

Frank
Frank, shoot me an email: [email protected]

I sent you an email as well CBM as I had my first stuck case after over 100 rounds and my trigger has failed to reset multiple times if I release the trigger slowly. This just started happening on my last range visit.

What was the problem with your ZP8?
Running a dmr2 on my MDR currently but just picked up a ZP8 as well.

For those asking about cases...
Pretty sure the LaRue case is made by Explorer. Search on Amazon for Explorer MOJO for a very similar case at 1/3-1/4 the cost of the LaRue. (Have one for my AUG).

The Tavor while inferior to the AUG ( :)) has a nice case available from IWI. It's my always packed and ready bag for my AUG + 9mm conversion kit.

I just picked up a VertX medium messenger bag to try out in the MDR. I wish it were an inch longer on the inside but it's a very nice, well made bag.

Last edited:
So i just got my tracking number! i am torn on optics as well as a case for it. Now that i know its coming and my Trash Panda form 3 got approved does anyone know if i will need the suppressor hand guard with a Trash Panda from Q? I am torn between the Kahles 1-6 or 3-18 the NF 1-8 or that USO B10. I am elated to finally after 4 years have the end of this wait in sight!

So i just got my tracking number! i am torn on optics as well as a case for it. Now that i know its coming and my Trash Panda form 3 got approved does anyone know if i will need the suppressor hand guard with a Trash Panda from Q? I am torn between the Kahles 1-6 or 3-18 the NF 1-8 or that USO B10. I am elated to finally after 4 years have the end of this wait in sight!

By the looks of the mounting system on the trash panda (not over the barrel), I do not think you will need the suppressor handguard. Congrats on your tracking number!!

I got the ATACR 1-8 but haven't use it yet, so nothing informative for you. The illumination is pretty bright though.

I am thankful that the trash panda came with so many cherry bomb muzzle breaks. The scope choice is alot trickier than knowing if i wanted the gun or not. I have always been a bit weary of the x24 objective lenses after i had that 1.5-8 XTRII and the FOV was terrible on my Scar 17. I cant wait to make it back to the shop and pick it up! I was worried i was going to need to build an AR 10 for a team match down here in west texas. I am really hoping that this will run well for that match!

Wow, this thread really died? Did everyone lose interest?

I got my rifle back after the trigger issues and its 100% better. Not only is the reset fixed but the trigger feels a bit better too.
Anyone else still shooting these?

Frank

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I recently picked up an SRS A1 and I think an MDR would make a nice safe and range buddy for the A1.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have the 6.5 conversion for the MDR? How well does it feed the ammo?

I ask because my MDR is having some feeding issues, especially with the forward ejection. It happens quite a bit.

I have to leave the gas set to A to get it to feed better. I'm running 168 FGMM

Does anyone here have the 6.5 conversion for the MDR? How well does it feed the ammo?

I ask because my MDR is having some feeding issues, especially with the forward ejection. It happens quite a bit.

I have to leave the gas set to A to get it to feed better. I'm running 168 FGMM
Whats your round count? I have a 6.5CM and it works great.

I got my rifle back after the trigger issues and its 100% better. Not only is the reset fixed but the trigger feels a bit better too.
Anyone else still shooting these? I’m still waiting on mine , 762 fde mdr. It will show up eventually, I’m not backing out. I have a dt srs , it’s my favorite bolt rifle. I ended up selling my other bolt rifles and just bought barrels for the srs . When I get the mdr in hands I wonder if I do the same , sell ar’s and buy mdr conversion’s.

Mine just shipped yesterday. I've got 500 rounds ready to feed it once it gets in next week. I'm still having faith it will eventually be a reliable rifle, even if it takes some DT customer service and some TLC to get it there.

I did the same thing selling all of my bolts, save my one sako for hunting that is slightly lighter weight. I really enjoy my DT SRS and it's all I take when I go shooting, usually. My HK MR556, DSA SA58 and Armalite SASS are going up on the chopping block if I can get my MDR running reliably.

Anyone else still shooting these?

Frank

Haven't lost interest, at least not yet.
Rifle can't shoot either PPU Match or IMI Match ammo at all - rips the rim off the cases/stick cases/needs to be smacked out of chamber.
It shoots crappy Malaysian Surplus ball w/out issues to date - have 100+ rounds of that through it w/out issue.

Next time out w/it probably won't be for another few weeks.
Current round count is ~360 IIRC.

Haven't lost interest, at least not yet.
Rifle can't shoot either PPU Match or IMI Match ammo at all - rips the rim off the cases/stick cases/needs to be smacked out of chamber.
It shoots crappy Malaysian Surplus ball w/out issues to date - have 100+ rounds of that through it w/out issue.

Next time out w/it probably won't be for another few weeks.
Current round count is ~360 IIRC.

FYI I saw on the FB group that DT has a 6 position gas plug that is available if you call. Limited supply. 1 gas plug at discount if you are a current owner. It seemed legit and free of trolls but attempt at your own risk! The youtube video got pulled so I'm wondering if it got released too soon.

I hopefully get to pick up my MDR tomorrow (UPS delayed it a day) and I'll try to pick one up after that.

FYI I saw on the FB group that DT has a 6 position gas plug that is available if you call. Limited supply. 1 gas plug at discount if you are a current owner. It seemed legit and free of trolls but attempt at your own risk! The youtube video got pulled so I'm wondering if it got released too soon.

I hopefully get to pick up my MDR tomorrow (UPS delayed it a day) and I'll try to pick one up after that.

Yep, a $ fix for what should be a recall or warranty service. Unimpressed by DT's choosing to go this route on this.
Will pick one up, but not happy about how DT is handling this as the stuck cases is a very commonly reported issue - 'battle rifle' my ass, as it certainly can't shoot reliably things other rifles can and do at this point.

Can't wait to see if it'll shoot PPU Match on one setting and IMI Match on a different one, as removing the handguard to adjust gas is just nonsense.
Hoping for the best, but irritated all around at paying more $ on top of what is already $$$ just to hope to wind up with reliability.

I have the new gas port on order. I agree is should have been given to MDR owners to help elevate issues. But I guess 50% off is the best they can do.

To get around removing the hand guard I just built a little wrench like for a sprinkler valve. Works great I can adjust port with hand guard on.

Also what accuracy is being seen?
I've tried some PMC, my SRS's favorite hand load, & some Remington match with and without suppressor. All the groups were large.
I'll start trying things but though I might get some input.
2018-05-19 16.38.57.jpg

Last edited:
I have the new gas port on order. I agree is should have been given to MDR owners to help elevate issues. But I guess 50% off is the best they can do.

To get around removing the hand guard I just built a little wrench like for a sprinkler valve. Works great I can adjust port with hand guard on.

Also what accuracy is being seen?
I've tried some PMC, my SRS's favorite hand load, & some Remington match with and without suppressor. All the groups were large.
I'll start trying things but though I might get some input.View attachment 6905548

Cool tool!

I'm getting MOA using some copy cat FGMM loads 168SMK.

Has anyone installed the new gas block? Mine was right, very tight

Not yet - have in hand but work's been hectic, now turning out I won't make it out this past weekend or the one coming up, so haven't rushed to install the new one just yet.

Mine should be in Thursday and I'm hoping it isn't too tight.

My original gas plug slipped in and turned easily but it couldn't make it through half a mag without ripping case rims on suppressed. Sent it back and the sleeved plug they sent it back with takes a pair of pliers or tool to adjust and hammer to remove and install. Not too impressed with that. Gun still doesn't completely run. I'm hoping this $50 gas plug that they charge $18 to ship will make the $2500 gun they sold me functional. Waiting on an upgrade trigger because I'm having reset and light strike or hammer follow issues as well.

Any updates on the mdr. Thanks.

So far, I feel that I've been lucky with mine. It is not ripping rim cases on any setting except for the first mag I had five. I've ran it on suppressed with a suppressor and it still doesn't rip rims. I did have one real hard to clear jam when I shot a round suppressed while on normal. I had to take a spent shell and a small hammer to open up the ejection cover to clear it. From what I saw, my guess is that the bolt cycled hard enough to cause the shell casing that was pushed into the ejection chute to be jarred loose, bounce partially into the bolt path and stove pipe hard when the bolt came back forward.

I'm getting the 6 position gas plug to see if it will run reliably with the lower settings. I'm hoping to find one of those settings will allow me to use my suppressor or not my suppressor and still get reliable functions, just because it is a pain to remove the handguard to change the setting.

I got the NF 1-8 FFP and it is just long enough in a non-cantilevered mount to cover the gasblock rail and because of this, I have yet to burn myself....

Have you gotten yours yet 1badbarrel? If you want to shoot one, I think you're local to me.

My gas plug was a tight fit on the insertion so I tapped it in with a brass hammer. It is difficult to turn with just my fingers but it turns just fine with a screwdriver (there is a slot in the middle now) or the tip of a bullet.

Unfortunately, I lost my detent from the original plug during disassembly because I forgot it would be under spring pressure when I was removing the roll pin.

So far, I feel that I've been lucky with mine. It is not ripping rim cases on any setting except for the first mag I had five. I've ran it on suppressed with a suppressor and it still doesn't rip rims. I did have one real hard to clear jam when I shot a round suppressed while on normal. I had to take a spent shell and a small hammer to open up the ejection cover to clear it. From what I saw, my guess is that the bolt cycled hard enough to cause the shell casing that was pushed into the ejection chute to be jarred loose, bounce partially into the bolt path and stove pipe hard when the bolt came back forward.

I'm getting the 6 position gas plug to see if it will run reliably with the lower settings. I'm hoping to find one of those settings will allow me to use my suppressor or not my suppressor and still get reliable functions, just because it is a pain to remove the handguard to change the setting.

I got the NF 1-8 FFP and it is just long enough in a non-cantilevered mount to cover the gasblock rail and because of this, I have yet to burn myself....

Have you gotten yours yet 1badbarrel? If you want to shoot one, I think you're local to me.
. Thanks , I have not received mine yet. I’ll send you a pm about meeting up. I did get a call yesterday from the gun shop and was thinking the mdr came in but it was a maxim9 and sbr’s.

You are neither the first nor the last...
Hah! I know that this statement has a harsh truth to it. I'm still looking for it but when vacuum day comes, it will be lost forever... Thanks, CBM. You are the main reason I decided to follow through with the MDR order and I'm glad I did. I really enjoy your youtube vids and look forward to more.

Reactions: coldboremiracle