• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dewey rod vs otis system

CodenameFatBoy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2018
Thinking about either buying an otis kit or a Dewey rod and a bore guide. I was wondering if one way of cleaning was better than the other for a bolt action?

Otis is good for tossing in a hunting pack, but I never use mine as my primary cleaning kit. Using a bore guide with cleaning rod is more effective in my opinion.

Reactions: ZG47A
Montana extreme rods. I use bore tech bore guides but there are many other and better options.

Tipton carbon and Sinclair bore guide. The guides solvent port is built in unlike the separate pieces with ph.

For a precision rifle a coated non split cleaning rod and a bore guide are a must. Otis and all their stuff are good for semiautos but never for a good bolt action rifle.

It has been my understanding that a steel one peice rod is better than a coated rod as the soft coating becomes embedded with abrasive particles and becomes a file.

For the range, I took a piece of heavy duty weed eater line, melted a bead on one end to hold a patch, and use it to pull wet or dry patches through the barrel. I have a Dewey rod, but leave it at home for more thorough cleaning. I’m a cheap SOB, and didn’t want to buy an Otis kit.

It has been my understanding that a steel one peice rod is better than a coated rod as the soft coating becomes embedded with abrasive particles and becomes a file.

Yes...this

There is a thread that goes into great detail about the benefit of the polished steel rods and the misconceptions surrounding steel in your rifle barrel.

I ditched my carbon fiber and coated rods in favor of Pro-Shot rods and really like them.

Definitely search for that thread.

http://www.proshotproducts.com/Micro-Polished-Cleaning-Rods_c_80.html

Abrasive particles? The gun world is full of bullshit and that is one of the examples. Brought to you by the same people who think nitriding is a coating.

FWIW I have both types of rods (bare steel and carbon fiber) and lose no sleep over using either one through barrels up to an including Kriegers.

Reactions: ZG47A and pmclaine
Thank you everyone for you're replies. Why is it that a one piece rod is better than a pull through set up for a bolt action?

Dewey!!!! There is no better IMO. Tipton and some other brands also make a higher end product. I have a couple, I prefer the Dewey but nothing wrong with the carbon fiber Tipton KAC sent with the rifle (which came balls out with ALL the maintenance stuff!)

I don't use the Otis, but I do have one or two of them --I think one is for an M2. They're good field kits because they're fast and easy.

At any rate, you want whatever you use coated and with brass parts. Brass won't damage steel.

I make my own kits that are like a flexible Dewey rod, use all the Dewey parts (plus adapters for other threads) and have all the small tools necessary for that particular rifle. Nobody offers anything like it, figured I'd offer to sell 'em some day if anyone was interested.

Fits in a pocket Otis case too.

what ever rod you get make sure you get a Mike Lucas bore guide.
they all try to copy his and no beats the original

hmmmmmmm one thing im not getting out of this is "consistency" other than more than one person using a "Dewey"

better start shopping....