• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did I get ripped off by Optic planet

Don-n-Texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2011
Houston now in Denton County
I order a vortex razor (not cheap) rings (not cheap) some other stuff (cheap) from Optic Planet using PayPal. Money was grabbed that night. PayPal grabbed my money out of my account that night. (Not waiting the 6 months).
Optic Planet sent A Email that night I would get a Email with tracking number in 4 days. 4 days later I get another email saying tracking number will take a while. I called this morning I get a recording saying it will be 4 or 5 weeks
Now I’m worried about my money. What do y’all think.

Just cancel your order and request a refund.

Then purchase your scope, rings etc from the PX here or from one of the numerous optics retailers who are also site sponsors (CS Tactical, Camerland, and so forth).

They are sometimes difficult to work with for sure. Have ran into situation twice where item received was not aligned with description , then trying to get acknowledgement from them was way more difficult than it should be - in some cases no ack so just sent it back and nagging them for refund. I try to avoid them.

Don... Bro... You've been around here long enough to know Optics Planet is pure hit or miss, right?

You'll eventually get your stuff, they won't Botach you at least, but dang, you could have gone to so many better vendors than them.

Word of advice to folks: GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND CALL A HIDE VENDOR! They will tell you what they have or a decent (and honest) estimation of how long it will take to get it in, and they will give you a deal while you're on the phone with them too. Never pay MAP, phone a friend instead.

Oh optics planet. I just had a order show up I placed for a Vltor A5 system in November of last year lol.

I never canceled because it was only $100 something bucks I believe but I’ll never shop there again unless they have the item in stock and ready to ship.

Oh optics planet. I just had a order show up I placed for a Vltor A5 system in November of last year lol.

I never canceled because it was only $100 something bucks I believe but I’ll never shop there again unless they have the item in stock and ready to ship.
Their live stock system is pure shit. You can call them, they'll look it up and tell you they have it, but then you order it and lo and behold you're the latest recipient of a "Backordered" email. I have zero trust in them.

I use their site because they always have the reticle options available to look at. Then I buy from some one reputable.

I love ordering from Optics Planet because it's like Christmas when I get my packages. It is often so long after I place an order, I forget what I ordered and it's like a surprise gift to myself. LOL
And not only that, but you also don't know which Christmas it is going to be, exactly. For example, is it the Christian Christmas, which is on December 25th, or the Ukrainian Christmas which is some time in January, or even the Chinese Christmas which is sometime in February or March, or something. It is some time after the Chinese New Year, and I'm not exactly sure when that is, either.

Which is sorta the point, right? HA

in july i ordered an eotech holo sight from optics planet. site said it was available. then i get an email telling me it'll ship in about 57 days. i dunno why they don't have a big bold notice next to the item saying it's back ordered. they waste so much of peoples time with that shit. they would probably have less shipping problems if they stop selling shit they don't have. never shopping there again.

Same thing happened to me, I now avoid them like the plague.

In stock scope was paid for with my card and they said 3-5 to ship. Never heard a word after a while so called and called.

Taking your money and not delivering for a long period of time just means that you are financing their inventory.

Finally canceled it through their website and got my money back after a few more weeks. A big company makes alot of money/interest when they do this on a large scale.

Take you business elsewhere

Here is my 2 cents regarding Optics Planet. I have purchased, or rather, ATTEMPTED to purchase a pair of binocs from them in the past and received service that was far less than satisfactory, so anyone who have gotten negative responses from them? You are not the only ones...

Here is a reply I made on an earlier thread on this same board regarding Optics Planet...

Thread:

----------
A few years ago I ordered a pair of cheap binoculars on Optics Planet just so I can see how my shots are flying with different loads I am using in my revolvers. Heavy charges sometimes cause rounds to fly in erratic patterns past a certain range and the most accurate rounds sometimes require propellant charges so small as to make them useless when hunting anything bigger than a clay disc. I wanted to see what "sweet spots" are with each pistol when it came to handloads.

Anyways, paid with a CC on an item that was clearly in stock. Two whole months passed, nothing. Meanwhile on my monthly CC statement it shows they already processed the funds.
smiley_freak.gif

Whatever, gave them a call and they said something something about being "so busy" and that my item will ship immediately "that afternoon". Huh? So if I didn't call you are not going to ship it?

Three weeks pass. Still nothing. Called again for status and tracking info. Once again they told me that due to short staff they "have not shipped my order out yet and will do so this afternoon"... LOLWUT???
smiley_freak.gif

At this point I started becoming irritated and asked to have my order canceled and my money returned. At first the guy on the other end actually tried to convince me to keep the order going and they will "look into the delay". I am like nope, can I speak to a manager? After a 20 minute hold I finally got connected with one of their financial dept. guys and they told me I will get a check with my refund within a week or so. I replied "I hope it is not going to take until next year for it to arrive"... He said they were sorry about the whole thing and they will return my funds promptly.

About 2 weeks later I got the check with my returned funds. That was my first and only experience shopping at Optics Planet. I ended up going to B&H Photo and Video in midtown Manhattan and purchasing a slightly more expensive but higher quality pair of binoculars from them.

I would not recommend Optics Planet to anyone and I can see that many of the responses in this thread confirms my suspicions.

----------

So yeah, there ya' go... I do not intend and derive absolutely no sick pleasures from shitting on somebody's businesses... However, I need results to be satisfied, and there, I met my end of the sales deal with my prompt and accurate payment, and I did not get their end of the deal... So, anytime I am looking for something and gets directed to Optics Planet again???

tumblr_inline_mr6jrlhGmv1qz4rgp.gif

They are better than cheaper than dirt, but that's not saying much! I avoid em whenever I can

Have successfully avoided ordering from Optics Planet for many years. I don’t even think their prices are all that great anymore.

Youll get your stuff eventually, but why be out the money for so long while you wait on the product?

Redmanss you are so right. I screwed the pouch that time, what Can I say.
I’m going cancel And buy another this weekend.

Everyone kick me in the ball I deserve it.
Scott at LibertyOptic gave me a great price on a new Vortex. He is quite busy but he does his best to contact people in a timely fashion.

I think you'll be ok. I've gotten some great deals from Optics Planet and luckily, have yet to have an issue. The last few times I placed an order for in stock items, they arrived the same week.

You will get your stuff... but it could be months. They did this to me on a Sig stock hinge. 6 months later after many calls... finally got it.

I think that after you pay them... they begin mining the metal to make whatever you ordered. If you are lucky you get it same year.

I won’t touch them any more. Buy from Hide sponsors and folks who aren’t just saying they have things that are out of stock everywhere.... then taking your money.... then back ordering and hoping you go away.

There are way better companies that support us here. Support them, NOT Optics Planet.

Sirhr

Ive dealt with their shit too! Never again! Anyone that reads these OP threads and then still orders from them....I would suggest you also order lube with your other items. Thanks for reminding me to go post another bad review on their website.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Ive dealt with their shit too! Never again! Anyone that reads these OP threads and then still orders from them....I would suggest you also order lube with your other items. Thanks for reminding me to go post another bad review on their website.

Technically, I think you’d want to order the lube from somewhere else.

• Haha
So. . . . . . .
Are you having problems with items that were listed as "in stock"?

Asking because I've had good luck in the past from them if it was in stock items and they have some shit I want now thats hard to find.

Seems the choir here knows a thing or two about Optic planet. I was in your boat 2 years ago same product. Finally like you should , contact Vortex direct, they shipped mine out the next day after waiting 6 months from Optic Planet . Get refund from OP

Ok we have established I’m a dummie that should be kicked in both of his balls for his own good. I went back to OP and checked. It does say extended back order. In very small print, they did say it.

Now I bought another one already. But I wanted another for my 308 so I’m thinking of letting it ride and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Ordered a couple TriggerTech triggers during 4th if July sale. They showed in stock, a week later checked status and it showed will ship in September. Then November in September. Yesterday, got an email saying more delays and ETA unknown. Called TT yday, very helpful and friendly CS. Said OP oversold and they’ve been delayed in production due to the wu flu, but will ship very soon. Fine, I get it, but a bit of explanation would be nice. They were a good deal so I left it...which OP probably knew.

I only go to optics planet to look. For a flashlight holder that I bought from them years ago (op didn't have right size) I found the info and got them shipped from Europe in like a week.

Just experienced a very similar problem. I ordered a Geissele Super 700 trigger. I'll be brief, same delays, went through a stage where I had no idea where it was. Just cancelled my order and got a refund. I don't know what going on over there, but a representative emailed me that they were days behind processing orders and shipping.

Optics planet LOL.
They sell you things they don’t have, then you waite until they can get it.
The free shipping is a ploy to not give tracking info and take their sweet ass time.
When they say you can’t get an item 2 day ups, they don’t have it. The last time they got me, I payed for 2 day UPS thinking that would determine if they had it, and I’ll be dammed When it didn’t show up the woman said “ oh, it WILL be 2 day shipping when they get the item in stock”,, slick move. The top of my about blew off and I canceled , I only have limited time at home to even receive a package.
I have gotten lucky with them on common in stock items a couple times a few years ago, then played the game.
Ive just shopped elsewhere the last several years.

Look, I personally have never had any problems with Optics Planet, but still, I don't like the idea of public shaming or criticizing a vendor for what seems like a relatively minor issue.

Just cancelled and order. Was in stock when ordered a week later out of stock

Look, I personally have never had any problems with Optics Planet, but still, I don't like the idea of public shaming or criticizing a vendor for what seems like a relatively minor issue.
No one is shaming, just relaying their experiences. If you're willing to deal with a "minor" issue, then order up! This is no different than a review....they just cant pay a fee to take it down.

did you get it yet ? I don't see it as a rip off If you get your item , just patients is a virtue and you may just be in more of a rush to get your gratification of receiving your items than snail mail could fulfill ( stuff takes longer something )