• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did I just trash my stock?

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Recently painted an H&S precision stock and was letting the clear dry in the sun. Currently in grad school so I rent an apartment and had it on the deck in the sun. Live on the 3rd floor of the complex. Stock fell 2 stories onto some rocks. Now not only does everyone know I have a rifle here, I busted the butt pad/bottom corner of the stock. How bad will this be to repair? Would JB weld marine be ok to use or do something else?

100102128_178001583569539_3691192411414855680_n.jpg

100041219_3075068435865517_3697403385096437760_n.jpg
100597987_1482488908597583_7460560662205300736_n.jpg

If there aren’t any other cracks and it’s just that corner that’s a bit smooshed I’d just leave it unless the aesthetics bug you. In that case a little bindi filler and paint.

The butt stock there won’t be doing any actual load support or anything. Just check around the action for cracks with and without the action screw pressure on it.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
I'll wait until the DBM comes in. Do I need to strip it to find any cracks? I guess a new buttpad is in order. Would it be a smart or bad idea to fix the damage then get the pad put on or the way around?

One more question. Should I drill a small hole at the tip of the crack and v out that before filling it in? Or am I over complicating it?

a little tape or glue and a magic marker or if your fancy paint and you could fix it right as rain if you ever have a problem remember you can do it ... or you could call it a mark of charactor like a guy with a scar or an eye patch or a peg leg sorry but it fit if it still shoots you could leave it i am sure your rifle does not care how it happened , if it affects how your rifle works then you did a bad thing now fix it and make it better . good luck either way

This might seem weird but I use this shit for everything, since I'm comfortable with it and use it often (I shape surfboards):
EPOXY - RESIN RESEARCH QUIK KICK ULTRA EPOXY RESIN

Aside from fiberglassing boards, I've used it on the wife's bumper with great results, and I couldn't imagine it being any different for a fiberglass stock. It's super easy to mix - 2:1 resin/hardener. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for this at all...6oz should be enough

I've seen worse and repaired worse. You should be fine. Grab the foreend and the butt, try to gently twist it. It should NOT sound all crunchy or crackly. If it is, it's toasted. If there is no twist and no sound, it means the layers didn't seperate.

Fibreglass repair is a good way to go as the above post mentioned. Colour matching is going to be the hardest part.

On a positive note, your paint-job looks (looked) bad-ass!

That's such a shitty feeling. To do a great job, have a nice finished product, then fuck it up right at the finish! I can empathize with you. Been there more than once.

I think you have some good input from others, especially testing the resistance to twisting. If that is still solid, I vote for feathering the surfaces (V them), then fill with something, JB Weld May be fine. Fill a little oversize, then sand using a block to get the correct shape. If the butt pad is still in proper location now (can’t tell from photo) you can use it as a guide for getting the correct shape.

it is probably not damaged structurally as I think it landed on the butt pad and it cushioned it.

Good luck,
Richard

I fixed one that looked about the same with JB weld. I got it pretty even, then after a few hours for it it not be dry, but not be tacky either. I think I used the fabric on the side of cheap stock pack texture it, by pressing it into the JB weld that was not quite dry. After paint it was really hard to tell I had done anything.

I might have let the JB weld dry some so it didn't run out of the areas I wanted it. Maybe I used the wife hair dryer to help set up a crust on it. Sorry i am foggy on the details. Its been a long time.

It wouldn't be hard to drill little stopper holes in the cracks, just in case, and fill them.

I needed to add some weight to one of HS Precision’s bolt action handgun stocks. Ground out my location, put the lead in its place and covered it with West System Epoxy. (West System Marine Epoxy may well be the best adhesive in the business). If you need filler, they have additive micro balloons. West System Epoxy can be found at West Marine (no affiliation) but be prepared, it isn’t cheap.

bottom line, first NDIH, second, Weight added to the front of the stock has lasted for years and thousands of rounds from a hardkicking handgun. Should do the trick for you

I needed to add some weight to one of HS Precision’s bolt action handgun stocks. Ground out my location, put the lead in its place and covered it with West System Epoxy. (West System Marine Epoxy may well be the best adhesive in the business). If you need filler, they have additive micro balloons. West System Epoxy can be found at West Marine (no affiliation) but be prepared, it isn’t cheap.

bottom line, first NDIH, second, Weight added to the front of the stock has lasted for years and thousands of rounds from a hardkicking handgun. Should do the trick for you
I’ve been using West System Epoxy since the ‘70s, and yes I am kind of old? I use it with a couple different fillers for bedding, also. I use a black dye in the resin just for cosmetics. But I do use JB Weld too, for small jobs.
Richard

Hs precision has taken care of me a handful of times. They can fix it for you. They will return it to its original factory finish and you can just try painting it again. The last 2 stocks I sent to them they didn’t charge me anything but shipping.

I'll have to check at H&S, I need a new buttpad as well anyways. If they can at least replace that for some sort of a charge, I'd be happy. The breaks in the stock I can fix with some sort of epoxy I guess. I hope I didn't shorten its lifespan.

Thanks again guys!

Wanted to add, I peeled back some on the butt pad and its screwed on as well as glued. It has the remington stamp on it. Is it possible to just order a new one through them?

I was waiting to hear the filler material reactivated from heat and swelled. Hs stocks have been known to do that.

I’ve been using West System Epoxy since the ‘70s, and yes I am kind of old? I use it with a couple different fillers for bedding, also. I use a black dye in the resin just for cosmetics. But I do use JB Weld too, for small jobs.
Richard

This stuff, yes. G-Flex et al are very good because they do not cure super rigid. Rigid epoxies are fine for rigid substrates, but fiberglas and foam (a stock) will flex and rigid epoxies like JB Weld can simple detach.

G-Flex is expensive, takes FOREVER to cure, but man does it work well. For this, also get a little bottle of microballoons, mix them in to make it a paste. And as others mentioned, prep it. Feather in, clean, and get a syringe to inject into any cracks.

One more question. Should I drill a small hole at the tip of the crack and v out that before filling it in? Or am I over complicating it?
The small hole...about 1/8" dia..... at the start of the crack would be good......stop the crack stress progression over time. Then, work the repair epoxy into the hole and finish. No one will be the wiser....except everyone in your apartment complex... :) :) :) "Aw shits" happen.

Fixed the stock and its on the way to H&S. I called to see if I could just purchase a new recoil pad, well they don't sell them but would replace it underwarranty. I ended up buying a new paint job from them as well. Pretty stoked.

Reactions: USNavy06